Pennsylvania non resident license

Made a rudimentary map based on that link.

Green = issues non-resident licences
Red = doesn't
White = unknown

PA_counties.jpg
Butler should be green. That's where I got mine.

Possibly of interest to folks who are visiting Philly by air, or by Amtrak, and who don't have a rental car available while staying in the city because they don't otherwise need one ....

It looks like Delaware County grants nonresident permits. The Delaware County Sheriff's Office in Media is reachable by public transport. Take the 101 trolley from 69th St. terminal and get off at Veterans Square. Walk north on Veterans Sq. to the courthouse. You can also get to it on the commuter rail via the Media/Elwyn line (formerly known as the R3) from 30th St. Station. Get off at Media and walk up Orange St. to the courthouse.

Be aware that if you're starting in Center City Philadelphia or at 30th St. Station, the subway/elevated ride to 69th St. terminal to catch the 101 trolley will take you through West Philadelphia.[1] Parts of West Philly are ... not great. You're probably fine as long as you stay on the train in the daytime but you probably don't want to get off at a random stop in the area and just explore.

[1]"Born and raised"...c'mon, sing it, I know you know the words. :)

Made a rudimentary map based on that link.

Green = issues non-resident licences
Red = doesn't
White = unknown

PA_counties.jpg
I posted earlier in this thread about my experience with Carbon county. It is a no-go. Sheriff refused to allow me to apply while I was there visiting parents. I have a NH resident permit.

5 years. $20 fee.

MA has a lot to learn....

Yes, but you have to remember that Massachusetts doesn't want you to get your LTC. I can't help but laugh when I hear someone say that their police departments are slow and incompetent. Nothing could be further from the truth. Every obstacle, every barrier and every delay is by design, not by accident. After carrying for more than 40 years, to be honest I never thought I'd make it through my last renewal application. They delayed my application twice, once just because I had forgot to put a zip code one of my references.

http://www.ammoland.com/2016/06/nh-supreme-court-overturns-regs-limiting-non-resident-carry/

Based on this, I would expect the NH non-res P&R License to go the way of a FL or UT permit (only valid in PA if you're a resident of that state). NH non-res will likely be added to the list of non-res permits that aren't valid for carry in PA.

In recent years, PA has only honored non-resident permits that are issued by states that REQUIRE a home state permit.

Last edited:
In recent years, PA has only honored non-resident permits that are issued by states that REQUIRE a home state permit.

This was largely the work of an AG who was one of Bloomberg's flunkies, and who greatly scaled back PA's recognition of out-of-state licenses. Once she's out of office, look for a subsequent AG to possibly undo her handiwork.

If PA stops recognizing so many out-of-state permits, I hope they go back to allowing applications by mail.

Trying to decide between applying at Berks county or Carbon county. Carbon is much closer but reading thru the thread it seems Berks has been very successful for most. Does anyone have experience with Carbon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Something to note: PA apparently does NOT notify you about the expiration of your license. Just by accident I noticed that my PA license (Centre County, last of the mail-order variety) expired in February this year. I haven't and don't travel there in many years so I'll not be renewing unless I make an unexpected trip there some day.

Carbon County requires two references from county residents on the application.

http://www.carboncountysheriff.com/pages/functions/firearms.html

The map that Kalash posted is wrong in regards to Northampton County. They will only process applications from county residents. Same for Dauhpin County. Bucks County also requires residency. The best bet is to check on the sheriff's website. All of the ones I've looked at are pretty clear on the requirements.

I found Berks to be easy. Check the hours at the Reading Airport sub station. It took me 10 minutes to get my permit there. Fill out the application before you go.

Trying to decide between applying at Berks county or Carbon county. Carbon is much closer but reading thru the thread it seems Berks has been very successful for most. Does anyone have experience with Carbon.

Something to note: PA apparently does NOT notify you about the expiration of your license. Just by accident I noticed that my PA license (Centre County, last of the mail-order variety) expired in February this year. I haven't and don't travel there in many years so I'll not be renewing unless I make an unexpected trip there some day.

mine is in Centre County and I WAS notified by mail that it was expiring.

Carbon County requires two references from county residents on the application.

http://www.carboncountysheriff.com/pages/functions/firearms.html

The map that Kalash posted is wrong in regards to Northampton County. They will only process applications from county residents. Same for Dauhpin County. Bucks County also requires residency. The best bet is to check on the sheriff's website. All of the ones I've looked at are pretty clear on the requirements.

I found Berks to be easy. Check the hours at the Reading Airport sub station. It took me 10 minutes to get my permit there. Fill out the application before you go.

Yep I didn't realize that at first but thankfully I read the forms again and caught that. So I took a 90 mile ride south to Berks had my application filled out. From the time I parked till I if my permit it was maybe 10min tops.
Why can't Masshitchusetts be that easy? Oh that's right I'm just a mere mortal to the overlords that's why.

Susquehanna issues non-res only if you own property in that county.

I need to update that map.

Centre County Sheriff's Office will issue non-residents, as will the Venango County (Franklin, PA) Sheriff's Office. Show up with your driver license, CHL issued by your state, and the requisite fee... about 10-15 minutes later and you're licensed in PA. There are other county sheriff's that issue, although these are the only ones I've dealt with. I suggest anyone interested in getting a PA license to look at the following website or postings on nyfirearms.com or buckeyefirearms.org for discussions about which Sheriff's offices will or won't issue:

http://www.pafoa.org/counties/

Just got off the phone with the Lancaster County and they will issue non-resident LTCF to unrestricted MA LTC/A holders only. $20 cash. Bring you MA DL and LTC

Even that list isn't particularly current. Dauphin, Northampton, Carbon, don't issue NR permits. I think the best way is to check the county that you want to try to get the permit in and see what information is on the website. That's what I did back in January when I was planning a trip to MD near the PA border.

Centre County Sheriff's Office will issue non-residents, as will the Venango County (Franklin, PA) Sheriff's Office. Show up with your driver license, CHL issued by your state, and the requisite fee... about 10-15 minutes later and you're licensed in PA. There are other county sheriff's that issue, although these are the only ones I've dealt with. I suggest anyone interested in getting a PA license to look at the following website or postings on nyfirearms.com or buckeyefirearms.org for discussions about which Sheriff's offices will or won't issue:

http://www.pafoa.org/counties/

Sucks - I'm going to Stroudsberg in a few weeks, north of Allentown, and no nearby county issues NR.

Sucks - I'm going to Stroudsberg in a few weeks, north of Allentown, and no nearby county issues NR.

That's where I am right now. I took the 1.5hr drive to the substation in Berks county. Print and fill out the form before going. It won't take more than 15min to get your PA Permit. Stroudsberg is in Monroe county on the map that's a few posts above.
Carbon requires two letters of recommendation from a Carbon county resident hence why I recommend Berks. It was a Long drive round trip but it was important to me and thus well worth the trip.

Just called two Northeastern PA counties.

Wayne: issues non-res only if your home state license is unrestricted and clearly says so. Bring in a copy of your LTC and driver's license, 5-page application, and $5. Bad news is that the application must be submitted in person, it takes three weeks to get the new license, and it has to be picked up in person.

Lackawanna: issues non-res only if your home state license is unrestricted. Bring in LTC and driver's license and copies of both (they can make copies for you at an additional charge). $20 to apply and you get the license on the spot.

Not even going to bother calling other counties. Looks like I'm going to apply in Lackawanna (sheriff’s office is in Scranton) next week.

My results:

Lackawanna County Sheriff's office at the courthouse in Scranton - very convenient for us New Englanders. I walked into the building and up to the metal detectors. Told the officer that I had a pocket knife and he said he'd hold onto it - as I was leaving I had no issues getting it back. They also couldn't care less about my empty holster (left my gun in the car). Walked upstairs and grabbed a one-page application - pretty straightforward, just one side to fill out. For reason for applying I checked off everything (self-defense hunting, ccollecting, and something else) except employment, and under "other" I wrote all lawful purposes. They said usually the wait is 20 minutes but I had to wait closer to an hour - lots of people there to apply - men, women, white, black Hispanic, old, young. Everyone was super nice and we all chatted a bit. The Sheriff walked around in shorts and boat shoes. When it was my turn, I handed over my application and copies of my driver's license and LTC (which MUST say no restrictions so they know that your home state allows you to carry). I explained that I just moved and the addresses on my licenses don't match the application; also mentioned that I brought in utility bills to show my new address; the deputy shrugged and said that since I wrote the new address by hand on the back of my driver's license, that was enough. She took my picture and three minutes later I gave her a $20 bill (cash or card accepted only) and she handed me my newly printed and still warm license. Hilariously easy and stress-free experience.

My results:

Lackawanna County Sheriff's office at the courthouse in Scranton - very convenient for us New Englanders. I walked into the building and up to the metal detectors. Told the officer that I had a pocket knife and he said he'd hold onto it - as I was leaving I had no issues getting it back. They also couldn't care less about my empty holster (left my gun in the car). Walked upstairs and grabbed a one-page application - pretty straightforward, just one side to fill out. For reason for applying I checked off everything (self-defense hunting, ccollecting, and something else) except employment, and under "other" I wrote all lawful purposes. They said usually the wait is 20 minutes but I had to wait closer to an hour - lots of people there to apply - men, women, white, black Hispanic, old, young. Everyone was super nice and we all chatted a bit. The Sheriff walked around in shorts and boat shoes. When it was my turn, I handed over my application and copies of my driver's license and LTC (which MUST say no restrictions so they know that your home state allows you to carry). I explained that I just moved and the addresses on my licenses don't match the application; also mentioned that I brought in utility bills to show my new address; the deputy shrugged and said that since I wrote the new address by hand on the back of my driver's license, that was enough. She took my picture and three minutes later I gave her a $20 bill (cash or card accepted only) and she handed me my newly printed and still warm license. Hilariously easy and stress-free experience.

I'm probably going to make this trip on my next few days off. Thanks for the info, kalash.

Well. Went to the Lancaster county Sherriffs office at 9am. Dropped four quarters in the parking meter and it gave me an hour. Walked half a block to the court house. Filled out the 1 page 1 sided 30 fill in box application. Copies of my MaDL and LTC. I had 20 minutes left on the parking meter when I returned. Painless and the most pleasent ppl I have ever met.

Hilariously easy and stress-free experience.

Yes, it was!

I was at the Lackawanna County Sheriff's office yesterday, had to wait for one fellow in front of my but if you timed it from the moment I was called to the desk then the whole process took 10 minutes.

A couple notes, if you find an application online do not bother with it, they will only accept the ones they have for you in the office. Further do not bother making a photo-copy of your resident firearms license, she told the guy in front of me that they have to physically make the copy, and it cost you $1.

When the Sheriff's deputy was handing me my license she said "When it comes time for renewal return to our office, because some other counties are not issuing non-resident permits, but we do not have a problem with that here, and as long as we are still allowed to do it we will renew yours."

I told her I was aware of the other counties not abiding by the law, and asked her to please tell the sheriff thank you from me. She said she would and added, "I do not know how these other counties are getting away with not honoring the law."

My main reason for getting one being that I wonder how long till the PA AG stops honoring NH NR permits now that the NH state police are not requiring proof of a resident firearms license.

The PA AG is a ****ing scumbag, but you can ignore her. The counties are the ones in charge of issuing CCW permits.

Back to Kathleen Kane, this piece of shit was disbarred for leaking all the information from the Jerry Sandusky Grand Jury case before it was over. By all rights, he deserves a mistrial on those grounds, though there has been no motion for this thankfully. She won't be running for reelection, and I suspect it will be a Republican who wins the seat in November. Again, doesn't matter because the Counties have the actual say on who gets a CCW.

If Lackawanna ever becomes a problem, try Jefferson. It's a long, long haul to central PA, but the Sheriff there is super pro-2A. Being Jefferson County is basically a giant swath of farmland literally in the middle of nowhere, that's not likely to change for awhile.

Further do not bother making a photo-copy of your resident firearms license, she told the guy in front of me that they have to physically make the copy, and it cost you $1.
I brought in a single page with copies of my LTC and driver's license, fronts and backs. They took the copy without questions.

Back
Top Bottom