Paul Howe on Open Carry

You'll find on this site that many are champions of individual freedom! By all means express your opinion that you may disagree with open carry......as you did above.....but once you start crossing the line into confronting others in order to take away their individual freedoms people get a little "testy".

I am the 90%.

Also for some open carry might be there only or best option, someone who has a handicap or just feels more comfortable or safer drawing from a open holster then a cc one,

also some may feel they can draw easy and still have a free hand to defense themselves in a quick defensive situation instead of having there clothing in the way,

And we have to remember not all holsters fit everyone and choice of guns make for some to feel open carry to work best for them

How about OCing is just more practical and comfortable?

Doesn't require you to buy a new wardrobe?

Allows easy on off of your gun and holster?

Police open carry everywhere and no one complains. The only difference between a cop and a citizen is inside your head. For some reason some of you get afraid when you can actually see that someone is carrying a firearm, which frankly I find pretty hypocritical.

In Afganastan i was surrounded by children as we moved into a village. ( Wanted Candy etc.) my M9 was on a drop leg holslter without multi retention. i felt really vulnerable to it getting grabbed. I kept one hand over the top of it the entire time i was in close proximity to them.
changed to a torso carry very quickly.
Just something to concider with open carry, it is more vunerable to getting grabbed.

Last edited:
In Afganastan i was surrounded by children as we moved into a village. ( Wanted Candy etc.) my M9 was on a drop leg holslter without multi retention. i felt really vulnerable to it getting grabbed. I kept one hand over the top of it the nentire time i awas in close proximity to them.
Just something to concider with open carry, it is more vunerable to getting grabbed.

Can we please see the statistics on people trying to grab guns from OCers? I'm guessing there aren't any. Ironically nearly every non-gun owner I talk to whole out can't help but ask this dumb question. "What happens if someone tries to take your gun?"

I always respond the same way, "Go ahead and try to take it." They always look at me with some sort of dumbfounded blank stair.

I think its good that when you're in the military in a foreign country you're being overly protective of your weapons and personal space. That's not the same as daily life at home.

Last edited:
In Afganastan i was surrounded by children as we moved into a village. ( Wanted Candy etc.) my M9 was on a drop leg holslter without multi retention. i felt really vulnerable to it getting grabbed. I kept one hand over the top of it the nentire time i awas in close proximity to them.

THis is the reason I prefer Concealed Carry.........but as stated before by me and many others........that is my interpetation of what the situation dictates and I feel nobody has a right to tell someone else how they should carry their fire arm let alone admit openly in an article that they should or would murder someone for not carrying how they see fit!

In Afganastan i was surrounded by children as we moved into a village. ( Wanted Candy etc.) my M9 was on a drop leg holslter without multi retention. i felt really vulnerable to it getting grabbed. I kept one hand over the top of it the entire time i was in close proximity to them.

depends. use a retention holster, this can be done on a budget with a (yes i'm saying it) serpa. simple push-button retention. there are plenty of other options out there for retention holsters if you are worried about being disarmed.

atmay did it to me when we were fighing over a table of free ammo. i was blocking him and so he grabbed my gun. [laugh]

Can we please see the statistics on people trying to grab guns from OCers? I'm guessing there aren't any.

I think its good that when you're in the military in a foreign country you're being overly protective of your weapons and personal space. That's not the same as daily life at home.

I agree.......Not even remotely the same situation.

depends. use a retention holster, this can be done on a budget with a (yes i'm saying it) serpa. simple push-button retention. there are plenty of other options out there for retention holsters if you are worried about being disarmed.

atmay did it to me when we were fighing over a table of free ammo. i was blocking him and so he grabbed my gun. [laugh]

I use a BladeTech paddle with the retention very high. Nothing but a firm direct upwards pull will remove it. Requires a nice belt to keep it that tight, but it's very effective. I also have had my wife try to grab it out of the holster from behind randomly. She has yet to get it.

Also the first thing you should do if someone is trying to pull your gun out of the holster is grab and push down on their hand keeping it in the holster while turning your hips. The next thing should be your free hand's thumb shoved into their eye as if you're trying to poke their brain. Even lightly hit someone's eyes with intent and their first reaction will be to pull their hands to their faces.

Didn't the Tsarnaev's kill the MIT PO to steal his gun? Then they could not get it out of his holster due to the retention system?

Didn't the Tsarnaev's kill the MIT PO to steal his gun? Then they could not get it out of his holster due to the retention system?

i am not exactly clear what you're saying.

a retention holster will in fact be useless if you are overpowered and killed by two chechens, yes.

a retention holster will in fact be useless if you are overpowered and killed by two chechens, yes.

I think what he's referring to is early reports that stated they killed the MIT police officer, and even then they couldn't retrieve his handgun due to the retention holster. I read it as a vote in favor of retention holsters.

I think what he's referring to is early reports that stated they killed the MIT police officer, and even then they couldn't retrieve his handgun due to the retention holster. I read it as a vote in favor of retention holsters.

okay, that helps explain things a bit.

was playing with a retention holster designed for law enforcement and it had several little tricks to get the gun out. un-snap it, push a lever, and at the same time push the firearm down and draw. took some getting used to.

No. They couldn't figure it out. ALS

As far as retention goes, I prefer to grab bottom of holster and crank it 90• perpendicular to my body. It's extremely painful to person asking to borrow your gun, and makes mechanically impossible to remove.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

As far as retention goes, I prefer to grab bottom of holster and crank it 90• perpendicular to my body. It's extremely painful to person asking to borrow your gun, and makes mechanically impossible to remove.

dude come up here and bring toys. i want to party.

I don't think I've been mashing on the keyboard foaming at the mouth over this...can't say the same for others.

Effective technique.

Yup. I don't like what he has to say, but I'm not going to claim he shouldn't be able to own a gun.

WERD!
Paul Howe is a combat vet with amazing service to this country. That, however, does not give him any right to take any law into his own hands with respect to how he feels people should carry thier fire arm. He is an egomaniacal bastard that flaunts his service as some sort of badge that gives him power to confont otherwise law abiding citizens......his article proves it....there is no denying it.

Some posters on this thread should just get over with and admit they are smitten by his "former operator" status and profess their man love now!

1475803_766686740024594_309551199_n.jpg

I use a BladeTech paddle with the retention very high. Nothing but a firm direct upwards pull will remove it. Requires a nice belt to keep it that tight, but it's very effective. I also have had my wife try to grab it out of the holster from behind randomly. She has yet to get it.

Maybe I missed it... but I can't believe no one busted your balls about this example. Your wife? Please repeat experiment with a determined attacker that smashes you first. ;)
You know I love ya you cop hating thief shooting mofo

I'm all for people expressing rights... not getting tread on... watering tree of liberty.... etc....

Here's my thought. If you are carrying to protect yourself and your family, and you wholeheartedly want to accomplish that mission to it's fullest. I would carry concealed. IDGAF what people WANT to do... go ahead and do it. Just don't tell me that OC is the best method for winning a fight. There is a reason you don't see external suicide bomb vests. (I know its a fail example, but it made me laugh to myself). Walk softly and carry a big stick. It's a tried and true method.

As far as gun grab statistics on people open carrying... I may not have any... but I've seen MORE than my fair share of bad guys trying to grab a cops gun in a fight. Does that count? We're just citizens right? ;)

edit: and just to reiterate. Eds picture had me in tears.

Double edit : I don't want them to know anything... type of gun, Mag type, safety... nothing. I want maximum advantage over anyone seeking to cause my family harm. I believe concealment gives me that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not to brag about moving, but it is nice to wear an owb kydex pancake holster under my shirt and not worrying if it flashes or prints. Unless I am working in the yard or around the house, that is about the extent of my OC these days.

As far as retention holsters go, I used a bunch of them in the Navy because we had a GMC that loved his Galls, Safariland, and Blackhawk catalogs. The only one I would ever go back to is the Safariland with the thumb drive hoop on it.

Also the first thing you should do if someone is trying to pull your gun out of the holster is grab and push down on their hand keeping it in the holster while turning your hips. The next thing should be your free hand's thumb shoved into their eye as if you're trying to poke their brain. Even lightly hit someone's eyes with intent and their first reaction will be to pull their hands to their faces.

Might not come out of the holster, but a man intent on taking it will probably rip the whole shebang off the mount, or off the belt completely. Nobody is going to give it a few tugs, shrug and say "just kidding"

Back
Top Bottom