Paul Howe on Open Carry

Break down what he says i think he is talking about the suburbs and city.
If you see someone walking through your neighborhood with an M4 across their chest, What would you do?
"If you fail to comply" I'm Not sure what he would ask you to do, leave, put the gun down etc. but his skills indicate you would not survive...
When he talks about open carry he is refering to pistols. Concealed carry is fine, open carry in a neighborgood or city, unneccessary. "I agree.
He is refering to Joe being a dumbass and carrying his rifle off post. He is spot on. Soldiers should know better.

Q"If you fail to comply" I'm Not sure what he would ask you to do, leave, put the gun down etc. but his skills indicate you would not survive..."

A OK so the dbag just admitted he would murder a law abiding citizen and you think this is cool?

Q"When he talks about open carry he is refering to pistols. Concealed carry is fine, open carry in a neighborgood or city, unneccessary. "I agree."

A I don't care what you think.....the law and IMO 2A are the only thing in play here not his over inflated feeling of self importance or your complete ignorance ot what individual freedom means

Q "concealed carry is fine"

A Really.....thank you so very very much for telling me how you think people should carry their fire arm.......actually never mind GFY I think people can make up their own mind.

Last edited:
Q"If you fail to comply" I'm Not sure what he would ask you to do, leave, put the gun down etc. but his skills indicate you would not survive..."

A OK so the dbag just admitted he would murder a law abiding citizen and you think this is cool?

Q"When he talks about open carry he is refering to pistols. Concealed carry is fine, open carry in a neighborgood or city, unneccessary. "I agree."

A I don't care what you think.....the law and IMO 2A are the only thing in play here not his over inflated feeling of self importance or your complete ignorance ot what individual freedom means

Oppression is cool when you think you're the oppressor.

Break down what he says i think he is talking about the suburbs and city.
If you see someone walking through your neighborhood with an M4 across their chest, What would you do?
"If you fail to comply" I'm Not sure what he would ask you to do, leave, put the gun down etc. but his skills indicate you would not survive...
When he talks about open carry he is refering to pistols. Concealed carry is fine, open carry in a neighborgood or city, unneccessary. "I agree.
He is refering to Joe being a dumbass and carrying his rifle off post. He is spot on. Soldiers should know better.

Your forgetting that its a right everyone has, and be it a pistol or rifle, you have the right to carry it openly or concealed, the thing is we have become sensitized to seeing a gun openly in public as bad when not so long ago it was commonplace,

The only reason people get scared of others open carrying, is because its something they dont ever see and they them selfs are defenseless, unlike before when everyone had guns and nobody cared,

If guns become seen more and become a common sight again, there will be alot less problems if your ccw is seen by some ass hat at the market, because it wont be so unexspected or suprising and no panic will follow

Any one with a open carried pistol or a rifle shouldered/carried in a non threatening manner should be treated as just a person carring a pistol/rifle, if they become a threat, well is that not why we carry?

There is no diffrence if someone ccw or ocw, just that the ocw are easy to spot, there usualy surrounded by antis who just shit there pants

If some dildo was walking down my quiet street with an rifle slung across his chest....I'd react the same way. Because normal, sensible people don't walk around the suburbs with slung rifles unless they're whacks, or looking for attention.
I encounter someone with a slung rifle in the woods, its "Happy hunting, have a nice day"
If you watch Paul Howe speak, you can tell he is a zero bullshit kind of person. He has some amazing experience and is one of the top instructors on the planet. He has a right to his opinion, because he doesn't agree with your view doesn't make him an idiot.
On the other hand, gun discussions and classifieds aside, this internet forum is about 90% bullshit.
If you think provoking the sheep by walking around in public with exposed guns HELPS our cause, I think you're misguided. I think many of the people who OC in inappropriate areas have something to prove. But I also think we've beaten this discussion to death. You probably won't change my mind, and I'm pretty sure I'm not going to change yours. But I do appreciate having the forum to have this discussion, and at the end of the day, agree or disagree, I'd rather spend my time around "gun people" than non gun people.

If some dildo was walking down my quiet street with an rifle slung across his chest....I'd react the same way. Because normal, sensible people don't walk around the suburbs with slung rifles unless they're whacks, or looking for attention.
I encounter someone with a slung rifle in the woods, its "Happy hunting, have a nice day"
If you watch Paul Howe speak, you can tell he is a zero bullshit kind of person. He has some amazing experience and is one of the top instructors on the planet. He has a right to his opinion, because he doesn't agree with your view doesn't make him an idiot.
On the other hand, gun discussions and classifieds aside, this internet forum is about 90% bullshit.
If you think provoking the sheep by walking around in public with exposed guns HELPS our cause, I think you're misguided. I think many of the people who OC in inappropriate areas have something to prove. But I also think we've beaten this discussion to death. You probably won't change my mind, and I'm pretty sure I'm not going to change yours. But I do appreciate having the forum to have this discussion, and at the end of the day, agree or disagree, I'd rather spend my time around "gun people" than non gun people.

Im curious, How would you react if he was OCing a handgun?

Stay off my quite street then.

Good for him. He can have his opinion, I can have mine. I think he is a douche bag and I don't care what his experiences are. Just because this guy marketed him self as some kind of acronym expert doesn't mean you need to swoon at his feet.

So then leave.

You think a lot. IDGAF what you think helps "our" cause, I will exercise my rights how I see fit, sorry if that offends you.

And normal, sensible people don't freak out because someone is doing something different then they would do. That is beside the point, because being different or 'looking for attention', neither justify acts of aggression against. This isn't about guns, it is about basic liberties and not being an aggressive, controlling, intolerant prick.

Some people are against hunting. But under circumstances it is legal. What is different about confronting them with aggression for that disagreement? If they think hunting innocent animals isn't normal, confronting them with aggression should be fine too right? Well no, I know that isn't what you think. Hypocrite.

Idiot? No. Someone who doesn't respect others rights and liberties? Yep. 90% BS, maybe. I imagine that correlates closely to your own contributions to this forum.

If you think provoking the sheep by walking around in public with exposed guns HELPS our cause, I think you're misguided.

I'm not sure what cause you are talking about, but it probably is different from what you are speaking. People getting scared of ones non violent actions is their issue, not the other persons. That doesn't have anything to do with liberty.

I think many of the people who OC in inappropriate areas have something to prove. But I also think we've beaten this discussion to death. You probably won't change my mind, and I'm pretty sure I'm not going to change yours. But I do appreciate having the forum to have this discussion, and at the end of the day, agree or disagree, I'd rather spend my time around "gun people" than non gun people.

You are right about the not changing people's minds part. Because you have a different philosophical position. That is fine except for when it advocates force and violence for disagreements.

If you walk down my neighborhood street with an M4 type rifle across your chest and I don’t
know you, I will confront you with my rifle and if you fail to comply in the least, you will
not survive the encounter.
First, it is not normal. Next, how do I know that you are not going to kill one of my
neighbors? Sometimes individuals in our country go stupid and try and push things too far…"

I doubt anybody will be walking down the street with an actual M4.

So what you're saying is you've never been to a pro gun rally in NH where there are lots of people walking around with rifles slung? Maybe you should just get out more.

What does PTSD have to do with that blog? Am I missing something?

I've got no idea what he was getting at there either. But I will say that article clearly ignored the fact that everything he describes as not possible has happened plenty of times in other countries, so if anyone is delusional about the realities of gun confiscation it's him.

So what you're saying is you've never been to a pro gun rally in NH where there are lots of people walking around with rifles slung? Maybe you should just get out more.

That would be a different story. And I do need to get out of MA more....like permanently.

SO...if I parked my car couple of streets over before going on a hike/hunt in the woods with my slung M4...and I got disoriented in the woods (THAT never happens) and had to cut through HIS neighborhood with slung rifle and all in order to get back to my car....he would confront me and kill me (a non-threatening, non-combatant) because?????

Because kids... If you don't conform to what others consider "normal" you deserve to die! Forget this whole free people ideal! Conformity to others ideals of normalcy is sensible and laudable. And if you don't I'mma get all Hitler on your ass!

Just to be clear here. Paul never said anything about a slung weapon. he said with an M4 type rifle across his chest. to me that says high port.
High port is an indication of ready to do business....
My opinion has not changed. But some have made good points. Thanks for giving me a better perspective.
But some folks need to relax . Take a knee, face out, and drink water...

Comments like this, and that idiot Howe's, make it clear that your cause is not the same as my cause. Therefore, it ain't our cause.

And, yes, I said "idiot," because this statement is idiotic.

If you walk down my neighborhood street with an M4 type rifle across your chest and I don’t know you, I will confront you with my rifle and if you fail to comply in the least, you will not survive the encounter.

He's not forgetting, he just doesn't believe that it is a right.

I never got why open carry was such a big deal, if someone wanted to cause a problem, they dont just go advertising it everywhere, and you can clearly see them with it so you already have a bingo on them as a target if they try anything, unlike someone who is concealing a weapon, you may never see it untill they are ready to use it,

Bacicly thouse who choose to ocw dont have the eliment of surprise, and i would look at them as less of a probible threat then others who are not

The guy's a dumbass. IMO open carry is more effective at avoiding trouble than concealed. Thugs like to go after easy targets. A person obviously carrying a gun is not in that category.

But to give it proper perspective, the author is in Texas where open carry is not legal.

Last edited:
How about seeing OC not as a crime deterrent but instead some ******* at the gas station can see your gun, see your plate, then say you cut them off in traffic and pointed a gun at them. Police stop you, see your gun, and now you're in a jackpot. I don't see any advantage in telling strangers youre carrying a gun, let alone showing them. Just the way I was raised, I guess.

How about seeing OC not as a crime deterrent but instead some ******* at the gas station can see your gun, see your plate, then say you cut them off in traffic and pointed a gun at them. Police stop you, see your gun, and now you're in a jackpot. I don't see any advantage in telling strangers youre carrying a gun, let alone showing them. Just the way I was raised, I guess.

You make a valid and well thought out point......but you'll see here that the opinion you express is what YOU would do. I busted on you a few posts back because you were praising Paul Howe for his outright admission that he would confront a man open carrying LEGALLY and probably kill him for doing so. Also you will be interested to know that personally I would never open carry for the same reasons you state.......but......if the law....and the constitution allow for it who the hell am I......or you.....or Paul frigging Howe to confront anyone chosing to carry their fire arm openly? You'll find on this site that many are champions of individual freedom! By all means express your opinion that you may disagree with open carry......as you did above.....but once you start crossing the line into confronting others in order to take away their individual freedoms people get a little "testy".

Good news! You don't see any advantage to it, you think it leaves you open to other things, don't do it! Nobody is forcing you to. So how about instead of getting all upset over it, you let people make their own desisions? There Is a word for wanting to control what people do that I know you are familiar with.

You know, like you I don't open carry. I don't want to open carry for various reasons, some of which you mentioned. But I don't carry that people do. If they want to, they have the right to do so. It isn't my place to impose my will on them. It isn't your place to so the same. Or anyone's. The act of OC is no more harmful then the act of CC, or owning a gun. Threatening people for doing it however is harmful. It is an act of aggression, and it conflicts with the very idea of freedom.

Back
Top Bottom