• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Patriot's Day?

New Jersey, eastern PA and southern NY are where most Rev. War reenactments are held, simply because there were so many battles fought there from 1776 to 1783. NJ is truly the crossroads of the American Revolution. Every town saw some sort of action. You can't tear down a house or plow a field in NJ without uncovering some sort of Rev. era artifact.

Check out www.brigade.org for the Brigade of the American Revolution, a NY-based umbrella organisation for member reenactment groups. Great people. They do a lot of events in the tri-state area. I'm in the 40th Regt of Foot (when I'm not a park ranger). Their webpage is in there, too.

See also www.britishbrigade.org for the Forces of Order and Legal Govt. ....
And the only thing listed on brigade.org for NJ for this year was this: Winter Clothing & Sewing Workshops: Bedgowns; Dey Mansion, Wayne NJ.

BTW, there's a local legend in Fair Lawn that the bridge over the Saddle River in Dunkerhook Park was crossed by Rev War forces... but the bridge collapsed after the river was straightened and a new bridge went on a half mile away.

But battlefields? I'm still waiting to hear where one is in northern NJ... Unfortunately, the way northern NJ is being built up, I doubt there are any left...

Lynne, 95th Foot, thank you for keeping history alive. Don't stop - somewhere there are kids like I was, to whom history is boring and dead and not relevant to TODAY's world... and they need to see that it ISN'T any of that! That today sprung from all those yesterdays that all too many of our history teachers do their best to make boring and dull. That yes, REAL people lived and died long ago, and that we inherited the world that THEY made. That real people could say things like "And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Thank you Ross, and well spoken.

Hey 95thFoot - were you part of the "Battle Road Heros" on Saturday night? Ed and I took our 9 yo nephew (who wants to become a Militia man [smile] ) to that. That was VERY awesome and everyone did an terrific job. His favorite part were the Regulars in the barn. [laugh]

To those that didn't know anything about it - it was a candlelight stroll to meet some of the folks who were there on April 19th and took part in the events. The volunteers played first person and they were fantastic. If you get the chance to do it next year - I HIGHLY recommend it.

Hey 95thFoot - were you part of the "Battle Road Heros" on Saturday night? Ed and I took our 9 yo nephew (who wants to become a Militia man [smile] ) to that. That was VERY awesome and everyone did an terrific job. His favorite part were the Regulars in the barn. [laugh]

To those that didn't know anything about it - it was a candlelight stroll to meet some of the folks who were there on April 19th and took part in the events. The volunteers played first person and they were fantastic. If you get the chance to do it next year - I HIGHLY recommend it.

No, I was not- I took the week off to be with the kids at home while they were on vacation. I haven't been at work in the park since 4/19. The volunteers (and a couple of rangers) who put it on are stellar in their dedication and presentation. We are truly blessed to have them. (One of them was an Army Ranger in Viet Nam, and he's the real deal!) Truly like going back to 1775.

I was planning on hitting up Lexington for the 5:30am reenactment and whatever else was going on. Working on my degree in history and the Revolution is area of concentration. It'll be my first time going. If anyone wants to meet up, I'm in for it.

Last edited:
Bump.

Anyone going this year? Would be fun to know other NES people are there.

If I had the time on that day, and was healthy enough to go, I'd be going on the April 19th 'Second Amendment March on Washington'.

An awful lot of effort and angst went into trying to cover the minimum cost of the bus for that effort so NES could be represented. I'd support that effort before going to Lexington/Concord.

Bump.

Anyone going this year? Would be fun to know other NES people are there.

Going to the march in DC.
It's a lot of fun to watch the reenactment but I think this year my time is better spent protesting for our gun rights than watching a reenactment of an event that so many people don't understand anymore. It's sad that they don't see any irony in celebrating it.

Due to recent surgery, I don't think sitting on a bus for hours or standing or marching are going to be a good idea. An hour or less ride with a little walking won't be too bad, and the kids are the right age for this. My time is best spent using this as a teaching moment, thank you.

I was planning on hitting up Lexington for the 5:30am reenactment and whatever else was going on. Working on my degree in history and the Revolution is area of concentration. It'll be my first time going. If anyone wants to meet up, I'm in for it.

Get there by 4:00 AM. Seriously.

Just to recap for people this year's schedules:

http://www.lincolnminutemen.org/events.html
The Lincoln Minute Men - Events

Musters
The Lincoln Minute Men typically gather once a month in Lincoln, MA at 7:30 pm on the first Tuesday of the month. Please check the calendar for details of upcoming Musters

April Events
The Lincoln Minute Men celebrate many historical and patriotic events in the month of April

Schedule of Events:

Saturday, April 10th, 2010—Paul Revere's Capture

At 2:50 PM, the Lincoln Company of Minute Men will assemble at the Battle Road Visitors Center of the Minute Man National Historical Park. From there, with flags flying and to the tune of colonial fifes and drums, the Lincoln Minute Men and their guests will march down Nelson Road, a section of the original Battle Road, to the Paul Revere Capture Site on Route 2A.

In a lively ceremony beginning at 3 PM, the Minute Men will commemorate the capture of Revere and Dawes and the escape of Samuel Prescott and give a brief historical narrative of the events and the heroism of Lincoln residents in carrying the alarm to Concord. All this will be accompanied a musket salute and by colonial music performed by the Fifes and Drums of the Lincoln Minute Men, the Middlesex County Volunteer Fifes and Drums, and the Middlesex County 4-H Fifes and Drums. More details here.

Sunday April 18th, 2010 — The Lincoln Salute: A Concert of 18th Century Fife & Drum Music

From 1:45-3:30 PM in Pierce Park, the Lincoln Minute Men will host a concert of 18th century fife and drum music. In the 18th century, military fifers and drummers played folk tunes from all the cultures of Europe, as well as works by the major composers of the era. The Salute includes performances by the Fifes and Drums of the Lincoln Minute Men, 1st Michigan Fifes and Drums, the Bluff Point Quahog Diggers, the Middlesex County Volunteer Fifes and Drums, the Middlesex County 4-H Fifes and Drums, and other invited music groups.

Sunday April 18th, 2010 — Alarm & Muster of the Lincoln Minute Men

At 7:00 PM, the Lincoln Company of Minute Men will re-enact a drama that unfolded in the center of colonial Lincoln just after midnight on April 19, 1775. Captain William Smith will arrive by horse to ring the bell of the White Church (on Bedford Road, across from the town library) and spread the alarm that the British Regulars are coming.

The Lincoln Minute Men will run from the nearby houses and muster before the White Church to receive their orders for the march to Concord. The event will include a horse rider, historical explanations, colonial music, a musket salute, and lots of Revolutionary commotion.

Monday April 19th, 2010 — Dawn Tribute and March to Concord

At 6:45 AM, the Lincoln Company of Minute Men will muster in front of the Stone Church in Lincoln Center, in preparation for their march to Concord. They will march first to the cemetery at Bemis Hall for a Dawn Tribute musket salute to the Patriots buried there. The Minute Men will then march along Sandy Pond Road toward Concord, with colonial music and musket firing along the way. The parade in Concord begins at 9:00 AM, and the events in Concord will include a reenactment of the historic battle at the North Bridge, beginning at about 9:30 AM.

Sunday April 25th, 2010 — Old Burial Ground Tribute

At 2:30 PM, the Lincoln Minute Men will assemble at the Pierce House and march to the Town Cemetery on Old Lexington Road. The Minute Men will be accompanied by clergy, honored guests, and a contingent of British Regulars accompanied by a bagpiper.

At 3:00 PM, there will be gravesite ceremonies honoring both the Lincoln patriots of the Revolution and the five British soldiers who were killed in Lincoln on April 19, 1775, and buried there. The ceremonies will include prayer, a commemorative speech, colonial music, and musket salutes.

Following the ceremonies, the Minute Men and their guests will march back to the Pierce House, where refreshments will be served to all, courtesy of the Lincoln Historical Society.

http://www.nps.gov/mima/patriots-day-2010.htm
Saturday, April 10, 2010

Meriam's Corner Excercise
At Meriam's Corner, Concord
Time: 1:00 p.m.
The Town of Concord, joined by area minute companies, fife and drum units, and the Concord Independent Battery pay remembrance to the fight at Meriam's Corner that marked the beginning of the six-hour running battle back to Boston. The historic Meriam House will be open 11:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.

Paul Revere Capture Ceremony
At Paul Revere Capture Site, Lincoln
Time: 3:00 p.m.
The Lincoln Minute Men and the Town of Lincoln, joined by other reenactment units, observe the historic capture of Paul Revere with fife and drum music, a reading of Longfellow's epic poem, "Paul Revere's Ride," and a musket fire salute. 2010 marks the 150th anniversary of Longfellow's poem. For a complete listing of events celebrating the famous patriot and poem, visit www.paulreveresride.org

Concord Bridge The Nineteenth of April 1775

Don Troiani

Concord Bridge The Nineteenth of April 1775

Friday, April 16th

An Artist's Perspective - Don Troiani and "Concord Bridge, The Nineteenth of April 1775"
At Minute Man Visitor Center
Time: 7:00 p.m.
Minute Man National Historical Park is pleased to present world-renown military artist, Don Troiani. Those who are familiar with Troiani's paintings know they are highly dramatic and meticulously researched. During this presentation, Mr. Troiani will discuss the creation of his new painting, "Concord Bridge, The Nineteenth of April 1775" and what sources he used to bring "the shot heard round the world" to life on canvas.

Colonial reenactors behind a stone wall on Battle Road

Saturday, April 17th

Battle Road
Minute Man NHP
Time: 8:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.
Hartwell Tavern open: 9:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.
Captain William Smith House open: 9:30 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
Battle Road 2010 will feature events in Concord, Lincoln, and Lexington. Activities at Hartwell Tavern and the Captain Smith House will include musket and cannon firing, period music, battle demonstrations and family activities. The schedule of events is as follows:

Commemoration of the North Bridge Fight
At North Bridge, Concord
Time: 8:30 a.m.
British and Colonial reenactors stage a battle demonstration of the fateful North Bridge Fight, April 19, 1775, when the "shot heard round the world" was fired.

Parker's Revenge
Behind Minute Man Visitor Center
Time: 10:30 a.m.
The Lexington Militia fire ceremonial volleys at the site where Captain Parker's men fought in the afternoon of April 19, 1775.

Bloody Angle Battle Demonstration
At Hartwell Tavern area
Time: 12:30 p.m.
300 Colonial and British reenactors will present a battle demonstration representing tactics used during the running fight back to Boston on April 19, 1775. The demonstration will cover a half mile of the Battle Road, beginning near "Bloody Angle" to the Samuel Hartwell House site.

Tower Park Battle Demonstration
At Tower Park, Lexington
Time: 4:00 p.m.
British and Colonial reenactors stage a Revolutionary War battle demonstration using period appropriate battle tactics and weapons.

Sunday, April 18th

Living History at Hartwell Tavern
At Hartwell Tavern
Times: 9:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.
Our Battle Road activities continue at Hartwell Tavern as Park Rangers and Volunteer Reenactors conduct living history demonstrations, including drill and musket firing, throughout the day.

Barrett Farm Open House
At Col. James Barrett House, 448 Barrett's Mill Rd. Concord MA 01742
Times: 10:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. April 18th and 19th
Visit the Barrett Farm and the progress being made in its restoration. The Barrett Farm was a key objective of the British march on Concord and its owner was Col. James Barrett, commander at the North Bridge and responsible for the supplies in the region.

Monday, April 19th (Patriot's Day)

Lexington Battle Reenactment and Parade
At Lexington Green
Time: 5:30 a.m.
The Town of Lexington celebrates the first shots of the American Revolution with a battle reenactment of the early-morning engagement between the town's militia and the British regulars. The Lexington Parade starts at 2:00 p.m.

Dawn Salute, North Bridge Remembrance Ceremony
At The North Bridge, Concord
Times: 5:45 a.m. and 7:30 a.m.
The Concord Minute Men and the Concord Independent Battery observe the openning battle of the Revolution in a 21 gun mukset and cannon salute at 6:00 a.m. Following this, at 7:30 a.m. join park staff and volunteers at the North Bridge for commemorative speeches and wreath laying.

British Mourn Arms Ceremony and Concord Parade
Time: 8:30 a.m.
British reenactors will conduct a very moving "Mourn Arms" ceremony in honor of their war dead. The Concord Parade will arrive at North Bridge around 9:30 a.m. with ceremonies featuring Minute Man companies, British reenactors, and music groups. NOTE: All of the roads in the center of town are closed to vehicles beginnig at 8:30 a.m.

Arrival of the Sudbury Militia
Time: 10:30 a.m. (approximately)
The Sudbury Companies of Militia and Minute will make their annual march to North Bridge from the Town of Sudbury, in honor of their fellow townsmen who made the same march on April 19, 1775. They will fire three musket volleys off the North Bridge as a soldierly salute.

The Guild of Historic Interpreters

Saturday, April 24th

Junior Ranger Day
Minute Man and North Bridge Visitor Centers and Hartwell Tavern
Times: 9:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.
Have fun exploring Minute Man National Historical Park with your Junior Ranger Booklet to guide you. Take part in a variety of activities including story time, "Hat's Off!" in our Reader's Theater, and militia drill with wooden muskets. When you are finished show your work to a Ranger to earn your new badge. For program times and details, visit www.nps.gov/mima/forkids

Battle Road Heroes
At Hartwell Tavern Parking Area, Lincoln
Times: 7:00 - 8:30 p.m.
Tours leave every 15 minutes
Walk down a candle-lit path to the past. Listen to the personal stories of residents who lived along the Battle Road on April 19, 1775. Join Captain William Smith, the Hartwells, drovers, musicians and His Majesty's soldiers for this special evening of theater and history. Appropriate for ages 8 and up. Admission: $5.00 per person, $10.00 per family. Proceeds benefit the Friends of Minute Man National Park. Children wearing their Minute Man NHP Junior Ranger Badges are welcome to attend the program for free.

http://www.battleroad.org/
Battle Road 2010 will be held the weekend of Saturday and Sunday April 17-18-19, 2010. The Patriots Day holiday is Monday, April 19. This will be the 235th Anniversary of the Battles of Lexington and Concord.

Unit Commanders: Please register NOW for the event with Minute Man Park by going to the Battle Road 2010 Registration Packet site and filling out the registration forms available for download. As a condition of obtaining a firing permit for MMNHP, unit commanders are required to ensure that each participant in his or her unit reads these regulations.

Download the 2010 Tower Park Bus Plan.

Please visit Minute Man Park's Center for 18th Century Life site for the latest on workshops and participant registration. Please visit the Events page for a schedule of all Battle Road 2010 events.

Please continue to support the organizations that do so much to make this event a success, including the Lexington Historical Society and Minutman National Park and Friends of Minuteman Park.

Want to join a unit? Check out these re-enacting units.

Check out the Battle Road Unlimited tactical at Borderland State Park on May 22nd. Downloads now available for participant registration, scenarios and maps.

http://www.osv.org/activities_events/event_calendar_more.html?ID=628&DateID=1394
Patriots Day
April 19
9:30 AM-5:00 PM

MilitiaPatriots Day
Patriots Day marks the beginning of our country's battle for freedom.

On this day, visitors to Old Sturbridge Village can learn to march and drill with the Sturbridge Militia, meet a 1775 minuteman and an 1838 volunteer militia man and learn about each of their lives and times, hear the "top ten military hits" on fife and drum, make a paper tricorn hat to wear and take home, and much more.

Other highlights include:

* Flag-raising and flag-lowering on the Common
* Musket-firing demonstrations
Musket ball casting in the Small House
* Popular music from the Revolutionary period

Much more during April school vacation weeks

Patriots Day Upcoming Dates
Monday, April 19, 2010
at 9:30 AM - 5:00 PM

I will again be in Williamsburg, VA - wearing my "New England Gun Owners - FIRST to Defend Freedom! t-shirt.

Usually featured when flying.

Color me subtle......

Saturday & Sunday, Crak, JonJ, TominCT, Fred (of Fred's M14 Stocks and founder of Project Appleseed) & I will be at Harvard Sportsmen's Club running the largest of the ONE HUNDRED Appleseed Shoots that are going on this weekend.

There's still room if you want to come down.

Went there. It was pretty good, except the sign for no guns in the visitors center. The lady there was talking about something with me and another customer, and mentioned something ironic. It may have been to do with the fake muskets (all wood) they sell. I said, "You want to know what is ironic, that sign out front is ironic." She said "What do you mean?", and I explained that the whole point of Lexington and Concord was about confiscating and controlling guns. She disagreed and the other clerk guy there said "What do you need guns here for, this is a safe place." "This is a federal building.", and other similar things. I pretty much just said "You are missing the point of the entire Revolutionary War on Patriots Day." and walked away in disgust. They seemed more than a little peeved and disturbed that their way of thinking was even questioned. Maybe they get resistance to that more often or were just having a bad day. I didn't let it ruin mine, and went back out.

We went to the North Bridge site for around 8:00. The other was too early for the kids, so maybe when they get a little older. We saw the Redcoats arrive, the Minutemen arrive a couple times, the cannon fire, all the sights, and the visitor center, along with the parades. Was a pretty good overall experience. The boy pretended to shoot at Redcoats over the stone wall as they marched out. (-:

Last edited:
Went there. It was pretty good, except the sign for no guns in the visitors center
You mean this one?

DSC02323.jpg

Yeah, I wasn't too amused by that one, either.

Back
Top Bottom