• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Patriot's Day?

http://www.nps.gov/mima/patriots-day.htm

I notice there are different groups with different events and schedules. Are there any which should not be missed? The Battle Road one on Saturday sounds fun, but I think the early morning "Shot Heard Round the World" is a biggie also. I think you need to get there by 4:30 or 5:00 to get parked and walk to the site in time.

Any NES people with kids want to go to one or some of these?

Last edited:

I notice there are different groups with different events and schedules. Are there any which should not be missed? The Battle Road one on Saturday sounds fun, but I think the early morning "Shot Heard Round the World" is a biggie also. I think you need to get there by 4:30 or 5:00 to get parked and walk to the site in time.

Any NES people with kids want to go to one or some of these?

I missed last year, planning on making it this year.

Anyone else going anywhere for Patriot's Day festivities? Might try to do the Monday 5 AM run this year. Maybe we'll try bikes this time.

How crowded are the early morning events (5/530am)? Not sure how early I should plan on getting there..

My daughters and I are hitting the Lexington reenactment in the AM. We plan to arrive by 4AM. We'll then join the rest of the fam and some friends later in the morning to watch the Marathon. Hoping to end the day by taking the girls shooting for the first time, followed by Kimballs Ice Cream. We're usually out of town on Patriots Day, so we're hoping to make a full day of it this year.

Snookered again, I just read the first page before I realized it was from 2007. Some of us get to work tomorrow.

Not really. It is the same events year after year. It is a recurring event. I figured why post the whole thing again, since all the links are mostly the same. I just figured if it helps someone new who didn't know about this, or who has never been, it would be useful.

Reviving this thread instead of starting a new one.

My wife (gf at the time) and I went to this a few years ago. I loved it. We were there sat & sun. Been wanting to go back since but haven't been able to. Well this year seems as appropriate as any, what with all the attacks on our Constitutional rights and freedoms. So, I just booked a hotel (couple miles away) for Sun night. I'll probably get there Sunday early so I can see the parade but I'd like to plan the 2 days and experience as much as possible.

Who else is going??

Just found out I'm scheduled to work on Patriot's Day this year.
WTF, we should be closed!

I'm thinking about going to the re-enactments on Monday.

What time do you need to get there such that you won't need a ladder? In another thread s4mt3k said getting there at 3:45am resulted in decent seating (2nd row).

Anyone know what the ideal place to park would be for both the Battle green and then North bridge? Depending on the weather I may go with the motorcycle to make things a little easier.

Haven't had time to update links, if anyone else wants to, please be my guest. Still thinking of going. We've done the North Bridge thing, but that only involved leaving around 6:30 or 7:00, which isn't as bad. Would like to do the first shots as well, but it is nuts to drag kids out that early.

I just stopped by the Battle Green and got some info from the folks in the Buckman Tavern.
There will be no ladders or scaffolding this year, no backpacks or large containers where possible, use clear or mesh bags to carry large personal items.
A little while after I got there some local police, unmarked black SUVs, and the ATF arrived at the battle green and started sniffing around with some dogs.

http://www.lexingtonma.gov/patriotsdayroadclosures.cfm

I then went over to the North Bridge in Concord. I asked a park ranger there where exactly the re-enactment was taking place there, and he said there was none tomorrow, only thing in concord was the parade. Is this true?
According to this there is a re-enactment of the North Bridge fight:

One other thing to mention...
I asked the folks in Buckman Tavern when the best time to arrive was. They said, if you're local, a few weeks ago - the joke is that the locals all just go do the rehearsals and the tourists go to the one on patriots day.

Wondering if I should just try that next year, since I think I'm starting to get a cold....

Is there anything at the North Bridge, or not?

I don't think we want to wake the kids up to get there for 5:30 or whatever it is. I thought the North Bridge stuff was at 7:45 or something like that.

If this is off, maybe we'll just go hiking. Had I known a little earlier, I would have planned to go skiing instead.

Is there anything at the North Bridge, or not?

I don't think we want to wake the kids up to get there for 5:30 or whatever it is. I thought the North Bridge stuff was at 7:45 or something like that.

If this is off, maybe we'll just go hiking. Had I known a little earlier, I would have planned to go skiing instead.

Everything I see says the is a commemoration of the shot hear round the world at the North bridge at 8:45
North Bridge, Concord
8:45 a.m.
British and Colonial reenactors will commemorate the "Shot heard round the world" with a dramatic re-staging of the North Bridge fight featuring marching and musket fire. The Concord Parade will arrive at North Bridge around 9:30 a.m. with ceremonies featuring minute man companies, British reenactors and music groups. NOTE: all of the roads in the center of town are closed to vehicles beginning at 8:30 a.m.

I am thinking that park ranger I talked to was full of shit.

I think I may just get up around 5:00 and watch the local minutemen march by my place.

Back
Top Bottom