• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Patriot's Day?

Anyone going to Lexington and Concord? Do they even do the reenactments still, or has that been thrown out to discourage gun rights? If the weather were good, it would be a good opportunity for some fun T-shirts. If it were an anniversary type of year, it would be a good venue for signs or a rally type of thing, ...

Anyhow, does anyone have any information on if this is happening, and when/where to see what is going on? Thanks.

Edit: Here is the link for activities:
http://www.nps.gov/mima/patriots-day.htm

Last edited:
Anyone going to Lexington and Concord? Do they even do the reenactments still, or has that been thrown out to discourage gun rights?
If you are carrying, make sure you stay out of the National Park...

Yup - the only firearms that will allowed down there are the muskets in possession of the reanactors.

BTW - the Concord Bridge battle will be done on Monday, and the Sudbury march to the Bridge will be on the 19th. Ed's psyched - he's going to be in the first company to fire across the bridge on Monday. [smile]

Is that a law, or a rule (like post office)? Either way, is that true of all National Parks? What about ones where there is wildlife (out west)?

Is that a law, or a rule (like post office)? Either way, is that true of all National Parks? What about ones where there is wildlife (out west)?

The Minuteman National Park is federal property Doug. Unless it's like the White Mountain National Forest where hunting is allowed, you can't carry on Fed property. Some (not a lot, but some) National Parks have shooting ranges (mostly out west). In those cases, you can bring the firearms to the park, but I don't think "carry" is allowed. They need to be locked up.

If there was EVER a National Park one should be allowed to "carry in," this is it! I don't recall seeing any signs against it the last time I was there, but that was several years ago. I haven't been to the re-enactment since '95 (got great photos, though!).

I distinctly remember the visitors center having a special display on the Second Amendment and rebutting some libtard's drivel in the Comments book - at length, with citations. [wink]

If there was EVER a National Park one should be allowed to "carry in," this is it!

Yeah, huh?

To make matters more disgusting, working with the NPS is really hard when you want to put on a good show for the tourists. First, it doesn't matter how far away from each other the guys are, (militia and "regulars" and the distance between the two) - they cannot fire at each other. One group has to be further down the field so they aren't firing directly at the other unit. I'm not talking just off center, I'm talking the other end of the field next to Hartwell's tavern. I mean...it's embarassing! Also, the NPS has to inspect the cartridges before the battle too. If you don't get ammo from your group, you don't shoot. (in other words, you can't walk on to the field without having your cartridges stamped with NPS approval.

It's very disheartening. [sad]

Yeah, huh?

To make matters more disgusting, working with the NPS is really hard when you want to put on a good show for the tourists. First, it doesn't matter how far away from each other the guys are, (militia and "regulars" and the distance between the two) - they cannot fire at each other. One group has to be further down the field so they aren't firing directly at the other unit. I'm not talking just off center, I'm talking the other end of the field next to Hartwell's tavern. I mean...it's embarassing! Also, the NPS has to inspect the cartridges before the battle too. If you don't get ammo from your group, you don't shoot. (in other words, you can't walk on to the field without having your cartridges stamped with NPS approval.

It's very disheartening. [sad]

Yeah, but just look at what happened the last time the let Massachusetts residents own and carry firearms there without proper control by and permission from the authorities. [wink]

Ken

???

The Minuteman National Park is federal property Doug. Unless it's like the White Mountain National Forest where hunting is allowed, you can't carry on Fed property. Some (not a lot, but some) National Parks have shooting ranges (mostly out west).

Are the parks with ranges in western MA? If so do you have a name or a website?

Great...I just heard their expecting a 'noreaster on Monday. That's gonna suck trying to keep the powder dry, not to mention being an interpreter for the spectators. [rolleyes]

Yesterday I heard that Lexington will make the decision whether or not to hold the re-enactment sometime mid-day Monday. Heavy rain will almost certainly cause it to be cancelled.

All the activities today were cancelled. Lexington Green will be held sometime in May, but I'm not sure when. There is another ceremoney at the Concord bridge on Thursday - IIRC, it starts at 9AM on the bridge, or there abouts.

Edward was rather bummed about today - he was in the first group that was going to fire the first volley on the Red Coats at the bridge. Oh well...

I heard that the Lex battle was rescheduled for May 5th. I'm hoping thats true. Barb and I will be going if so.

It's still on. Ed and I will be there on Saturday for Battle Rd. We'll be interpreters. You can also check out www.battleroad.org

Lynne, that's interesting. Do I know you? I'm the volunteer programs coordinator for Minute Man National Historical Park, (I have today off, BTW)and I don't recall seeing your name on any of the registrations for the two workshops we held for Battle Road Guides who are the interpreters at Battle Road. Are you part of a group that was invited to participate in Battle Road?

I've been reading a lot of misconceptions about the NPS in some posts on this thread, so, I think some clarification is in order here.

(I'm not going to concern myself with CCW in national parks- that's due to Congress- talk to them about that.)

We have to have a pretty formalized training and invitation system to participate in events at national parks because of liability concerns, and because that's what the reenactor groups who run the event want.

Also, we have to be very careful whom we let represent the American people as volunteers in a national park. No offense, but one cannot just come into a national park and start volunteering without permission, even as a reenactor. It would be like somebody coming into your work place and doing the same thing, but without your permission. You'd be liable for what happened to them on your property. And you don't know what they are saying and doing around the public.

We also have to protect the resource, the historic buildings and structures, by making sure nothing bad happens to them. If anything ever happened to the Hartwell Tavern or the William Smith House, witness houses to the birth of America, they could never be replaced.

We also get sued a lot- the big NPS arrowhead symbol is basically a giant dartboard for personal injury lawyers trying to score big bucks from fed.gov. And the taxpayers are the ones that pay for those awards, not insurance companies. Somebody last year won a lawsuit because he was volunteering in a national park without permission, and got injured in the process. That cost the taxpayers $770,000, and it's not the first, nor the last.

So, we have a training system which runs twice a year (March and November) to train reenactors to work as volunteer interpreters according to NPS rules and guidelines. They, if they have undergone the training, can also carry historic weapons such as flintlock muskets and edged weapons as part of their presentation in non-firing programs, They may not bring gunpowder or ammunition into the park, unless as part of an NPS-supervised firing program.

We also have to train folks how to use muskets in a national park. You cannot fire a gun in a national park without NPS historic weapons supervisors present nor without a pre-arranged, signed firing permit. You also cannot point guns at anybody. You can't hand your guns or weapons to the public. Portrayal of casualties is not allowed. (It is considered demeaning to the memory of the fallen- the NPS rules on this were set up by veterans of D-Day and Korea who worked in the NPS, BTW...).

We require 2f powder in rolled paper cartridges, 125 grains max in muskets, not 3f, since 3f is too reactive in a musket barrel, even without a projectile. No loading manual tells you to put 3f in a barrel wider than .50 cal. anyway. This is done to lessen potential damage in a negligent discharge. (There are NO accidental discharges with guns, as we all know...)

We also do not allow people to wander around with gunpowder on them. Case in point: reenactor, still in kit, wanders around smoking a cigarette. Tourist wants photo. Reenactor takes lit cig out of mouth, puts it in his hand by his side. Right next to his cartridge pouch......

These are public parks, and the public (and reenactors) could get hurt. And they sue, when they do get hurt. Who wants to get sued?

The national parks were not designed to be playgrounds for reenactors, but for the enjoyment and reverence of the entire American public, and to preserve and pass on to future generations the sites of significant American history. If it weren't for the NPS, the Battle Road would be condos, car dealerships and McMansions.

The NPS system must be working; nobody, since the system was set up in 1969, has lost time from work due to firearms accidents in national parks. Can most reenactors make that same claim? No. I'm a reenactor, too, and I've seen some very unsafe things in my time in the hobby. Bayonettings, powder horns exploding (right next to me....), double/triple loads, people firing flintlock muskets left-handed, flash burns, and I've been muzzle-swept more times than I can count. Just last weekend at Battle Road, some guy in the 2nd Rhde Island HANDED his musket to a kid- right in front of me. I took the gun, and told the guy, "Don't ever do that again." He knew the rules beforehand...these are real guns, and we all must treat them with respect.

In the past, the groups who ran the Battle Road event until the late 1990s used to let in everybody from Shriners with flintlocks to barefoot pirates. Chowder and marching societies abounded. It was unsafe, inauthentic, and the Battle Road event became a joke to all. Blunderbusses, rifles, cap locks, even bows and arrows (!!!). It was an utter free-for-all, a come-one, come-all event, with people who came in dressed like Yosemite Sam, who neither respected the history nor the sanctity of the birthplace of American freedom, nor were willing to operate their guns in a safe manner around the public or themselves. In short, we are no longer interested in reenacting the Bicentennial.

Those NPS safety regulations are in place because of unsafe, inauthentic reenactors, folks- don't forget that.....

Those folks who used to run Battle Road are no longer in charge, and their successor, the Battle Road Committee, has been working with the NPS to present a safer, more authentic, invitation-only event, and so far, so good. These are many of the same people who presented the glorious 225th anniversary celebrations in 2000, and we make it so they can continue to do that. Sometimes we do get uninvited people who show up as "party crashers", but we get that straightened out. (Read: they don't get to play...)

We are also working on the North Bridge event, too. It's gotten pretty hokey, to both reenactors and the public. But it's a Concord town event (they own the bridge, monuments and British soldiers' grave) so, we have many hurdles to overcome. (They better hurry up, though- the British groups are going to pull out next year, if the event on Patriots' Day at the North Bridge doesn't get any better....)

Our mission as reenactors and park rangers is to present programs that remind us all of the fact that the Battle Road is a shrine to our freedom, a military cemetery, and a battlefield as important to American history as Iwo Jima or Gettysburg. We owe those who died there no less than our best.

If anybody is interested in volunteering at Minute Man National Historical Park, please check out the contact info at http:www.nps.gov/mima/

Last edited:
If there was EVER a National Park one should be allowed to "carry in," this is it! I don't recall seeing any signs against it the last time I was there, but that was several years ago. I haven't been to the re-enactment since '95 (got great photos, though!).

I distinctly remember the visitors center having a special display on the Second Amendment and rebutting some libtard's drivel in the Comments book - at length, with citations. [wink]

We park rangers love to read that book. It's still there, and updated. The comments therein are taken seriously by the Park Service. We care what people think.

It might be listed in www.battleroad.org. I haven't checked yet - I'm too busy watching the water rise. [sad]

From that webpage today:

"The following events were cancelled, not postponed:

Paul Revere's Midnight Ride - Sunday, April 15
Col. John Robinson Historic Trail March - Monday, April 16th
Stow Minutemen Trail March to Concord - Monday, April 16th
Commemoration of the Concord Conflict at the North Bridge - Monday, April 16 at 8:30 am
Concord Patriots Day Parade - Monday, April 16
Lexington Patriots Day Parades - Monday, April 16

The Battle on Lexington Green, originally scheduled for Monday, April 16 at dawn, might be rescheduled. If that happens, the information will be posted here. Please do not email asking for information on this. "

Hi 95th,

I don't believe we've met and shook hands, but I think it might have been you that did the presentation last year for the Sudbury Militia? It might have been someone else. Hubby (Ed) has taken the course and has his card so you probably met him. I go with him for Battle Road which he's been doing for a few years now (we're both members of Sudbury, btw). I'm his "arm dressing" [smile]

OK, I have to post this story here. Lynne, you and Ed may even know the person involved...

Back in the late 80's, I'd just moved up to MA and got a job working in Bedford. I lived in Hudson and commuted by car through the back roads of Sudbury and Concord. Now, one fine April morning I was on my way to work when I hit... a traffic jam. Mind you, this was on a RESIDENTIAL road, so I'm pretty bewildered as to why the traffic is stopped dead.

I look out my window and see, in the sideview mirror, a man walking up the road... dressed in buckskins and carrying a FLINTLOCK. Somewhat puzzled, I roll down my windown and hail him. I ask him what's going on, and he says "The British are marching on Concord! The Sudbury Militia is mustering to march and go meet them."

Well, I just stared at him for an eternity while the world whirled around about 360.000001 degrees. Because when the world stopped spinning for me, it wasn't quite the same as it was before! Understand, I've learned to like history (once I escaped from the pathetic classes that our public school system calls "history") - I've done research on things like arms and armor so I could build my own replicas. BUT... in northern New Jersey, where I grew up, there ARE no Revolutionary battlefields. Or if there are, we certainly never visited them. Or heard about them.

So it was with a shock that I remembered Concord & Lexington - my thoughts were something like "OH! THAT Concord and Lexington... Oh... THAT'S why Rt 2A is called "Battle Road"... I never realized - in my heart - just WHERE it was that I was living now - the birthplace of the Revolution and of the United States.

It was quite an epiphany for me, and I've never taken a complacent view towards the wonderful history of this area again.

Lynne, 95th Foot, thank you for keeping history alive. Don't stop - somewhere there are kids like I was, to whom history is boring and dead and not relevant to TODAY's world... and they need to see that it ISN'T any of that! That today sprung from all those yesterdays that all too many of our history teachers do their best to make boring and dull. That yes, REAL people lived and died long ago, and that we inherited the world that THEY made. That real people could say things like "And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

BUT... in northern New Jersey, where I grew up, there ARE no Revolutionary battlefields. Or if there are, we certainly never visited them. Or heard about them.

NONSENSE! Just how do you think the town of Fort Lee got its name? You know; that sleepy little burg on the Jersey side of the George Washington Bridge? [rolleyes]

Note that the fort is still there; in all its fiberglass replica glory, on the Palisades, just below the bridge. I took great photos of the Parade of Sail from there, my feet dangling off the cliff (bet you can't do THAT now!) for the Bicentennial.

NONSENSE! Just how do you think the town of Fort Lee got its name? You know; that sleepy little burg on the Jersey side of the George Washington Bridge? [rolleyes]
I grew up less than 10 miles from it... and NEVER heard that there was an actual replica of the fort there. See what I mean about the way that history is "taught" in public schools?

I'll have to try and find it next time I'm down there.

and as for battlefields open to the public... I'm still waiting. There's a park where Washington crossed the Delaware, but that's in SOUTH Jersey... it's almost another country from North Jersey.

I grew up less than 10 miles from it... and NEVER heard that there was an actual replica of the fort there. See what I mean about the way that history is "taught" in public schools?

I'll have to try and find it next time I'm down there.

and as for battlefields open to the public... I'm still waiting. There's a park where Washington crossed the Delaware, but that's in SOUTH Jersey... it's almost another country from North Jersey.

New Jersey, eastern PA and southern NY are where most Rev. War reenactments are held, simply because there were so many battles fought there from 1776 to 1783. NJ is truly the crossroads of the American Revolution. Every town saw some sort of action. You can't tear down a house or plow a field in NJ without uncovering some sort of Rev. era artifact.

Check out www.brigade.org for the Brigade of the American Revolution, a NY-based umbrella organisation for member reenactment groups. Great people. They do a lot of events in the tri-state area. I'm in the 40th Regt of Foot (when I'm not a park ranger). Their webpage is in there, too.

See also www.britishbrigade.org for the Forces of Order and Legal Govt. ....

Back
Top Bottom