Partial open carry

People should be allowed to carry wherever and whenever despite ones own personal feelings. It's called freedom, grasp the concept. Attempts to make firearms socially unacceptable by hiding only embolden criminals.

Sent from my C6522N using Tapatalk

To the OP: At the department I work for, it is policy to wear your badge next to your DUTY firearm when not in uniform.

With that said, who freaking cares if people open carry. The more it happens, the more the public gets used to seeing it. Maybe with a little time it will be no different than seeing a dude carrying a knife openly.

If I put a CCW Badge next to my gun and open carry, would a cop hassle me for"impersonating an officer"? [smile]

I've only open carried once or twice in MA, I don't think anyone noticed.

Ok, great comments men! Guess I started quite a shit storm. Lol.
i guess there was something lost in the translation. My final comments on this topic.

1) I carry and I think every one should.
2) Not afraid of guns like someone posted. I have quite a collection.
3) Have no issues with open carry. As I stated, I live part time in NH and they open carry.
4) It's too bad MA gun owners don't open carry more often because as a woman, when I see the rare occasion of OC like I did this AM, I wouldn't be so suspicious.

4) It's too bad MA gun owners don't open carry more often because as a woman, when I see the rare occasion of OC like I did this AM, I wouldn't be so suspicious.

Because this would happen to nearly everyone...

OCFreakout.jpg

Because this would happen to nearly everyone...

OCFreakout.jpg
http://www.comm2a.org/index.php/calendar-faq/faqs

" The revised statute does not distinguish between concealed carry and open carry, and in fact doesn't mention either by name. A license to carry is just that, a license to carry firearms.*
Many people feel that if they carry a firearm openly on an LTC that their police chief will deem them 'unsuitable' and revoke their LTC.**FRB v. Simkin largely forestalls that possibility:
- See more at: http://caselaw.findlaw.com/ma-supreme-judicial-court/1641408.html#sthash.svMTfWBH.dpufEven

Last edited:
i guess there was something lost in the translation. My final comments on this topic.

2) Not afraid of guns like someone posted. I have quite a collection. .

so you're just afraid of OTHER people with guns?

not long ago, my wife, kids and I were out for breakfast and my 12 year old was staring at a guy a table over. I asked what was wrong and she said when he sat down she saw that he had a gun, and she was worried.
I asked what he was doing that worried her, and she couldn't think of anything (other than he had a gun). I reminded her that I did too, and that the guy is just in with his wife having breakfast. And unless he was doing something dangerous with it that it really wasn't any of her business and she should stop staring. Later in the day she asked how I knew that the guy was a "good guy" and I told her that I didn't, but nothing he was doing made him a "bad guy"

http://www.comm2a.org/index.php/calendar-faq/faqs

" The revised statute does not distinguish between concealed carry and open carry, and in fact doesn't mention either by name. A license to carry is just that, a license to carry firearms.*
Many people feel that if they carry a firearm openly on an LTC that their police chief will deem them 'unsuitable' and revoke their LTC.... etc.. etc... etc

Read the comic again... the charge was Disorderly Conduct. [hmmm]

1) I carry and I think every one should.
2) Not afraid of guns like someone posted. I have quite a collection.
3) Have no issues with open carry. As I stated, I live part time in NH and they open carry.

It's unfortunate that it turned out this way, yes; and I don't blame you if you're sorry you started the thread in the first place. You're not alone. I do a double take when I notice someone carrying either openly or barely concealed. After all these years it still takes a moment to realize while this isn't common, there's nothing wrong with it. Your post just does a really good job of illustrating how well most of us have been conditioned.

That could have been me (except for the vest, extra mags and the wanna be a cop car). I don't usually make more than a token effort to conceal my gun and I know it pops out from time to time.

No, this wouldn't happen. By now most cops in MA are better trained than this and understand that they can't turn legal open carry into an arrestable offense.
I would love to see a prosecutor try to make a charge in that context stick and epically fail because of the case law and president that has been set.

Why do people get scared by a gun in a holster? Especially from this board? When someone has it in their hand is the time to worry.

What he said.

If you're afraid of someone carrying, you're definitely in the wrong forum.
Shouldn't matter if someone OC or CCW.

I believe a large part of the problem with OC, is that most of us, are conditioned by the media to expect to see only LEO openly carrying firearms.

If you're afraid of someone carrying, you're definitely in the wrong forum.
Shouldn't matter if someone OC or CCW.
Absolutely! Helping people that are afraid or uncomfortable with the concept of carrying firearms is definitely not what this forum is about. We've got plenty of folks on our side already. Let the anti's have another convert to their cause.

No, this wouldn't happen. By now most cops in MA are better trained than this and understand that they can't turn legal open carry into an arrestable offense.

Buuuuuut as the comic says the arresting offense was disorderly conduct... not open carrying legally.

Because let's say I'm open carrying legally and create the following three conditions just by sitting at a restaurant enjoying a steak, minding my own business...

1) created a hazardous condition because there's a holstered firearm which could go off at any moment thus it
2) affected the lady in the booth across the aisle which caused
3) public annoyance and alarm... in other words she went full tilt moonbat crazy and her panic spread throughout the establishment.

As much fun as watching all those open-carry Go-Pro videos on YouTube are, don't the ones who get arrested get arrested for disorderly conduct not open carrying legally?

I'm just asking since there's a red herring getting tossed about.

Buuuuuut as the comic says the arresting offense was disorderly conduct... not open carrying legally.

Because let's say I'm open carrying legally and create the following three conditions just by sitting at a restaurant enjoying a steak, minding my own business...

1) created a hazardous condition because there's a holstered firearm which could go off at any moment thus it
2) affected the lady in the booth across the aisle which caused
3) public annoyance and alarm... in other words she went full tilt moonbat crazy and her panic spread throughout the establishment.

As much fun as watching all those open-carry Go-Pro videos on YouTube are, don't the ones who get arrested get arrested for disorderly conduct not open carrying legally?

Dude, guns don't "go off" by themselves, one has to manipulate the trigger to cause a discharge. A holstered firearm is not going to go off at any moment. You better seriously look at your stance on the second amendment if your going to spread these falsehoods.

Sounds like the OP now knows how the general public feels about LTC holders carrying....
Maybe we should all give up our guns.

You better seriously look at your stance on the second amendment if your going to spread these falsehoods.

Here's a thought. Take a deep breath and read the following slowly...

Can you be arrested for disorderly conduct because ignorant people in Massachusetts are abundant and plentiful? If a moonbat sees a gun they automatically assume the worst and go berserk. Basically the outcome of the comic and many open carry videos. Instead you're slapping the red herring around screaming "You can't be arrested for open carrying! Blargh!" I didn't say that. Did anyone say that? Get over yourself.

And adjust your sarcasm/satire meter. It's very f'd up.

Two things. There is no difference between civilian and police in this scenario. I only pointed it out because it turned out he was a guard. And you are correct, it doesn't make me safe.

Why you ask? Because in MA, it's concealed carry and you don't see open too often so it looks sketchy when you see it. If it was an open carry state like in NH where i also live, it wouldnt stand out as unusual.

Get over it.

Open carry is legal in MA, though its not practiced metro-west.

Its also legal in CT, where I also have a home. I carry a G19 in an OWB holster typically with nothing more than a t-shirt over it. The botom of the holster shows and the grip prints like crazy.

I carry this way because its most convenient for me. Actually open carrying would be more trouble because I don't tuck in my T shirt.

Seriously, get over it. I'm not so sure why you trust someone working for the Government more than any other citizen. (I hate the word Civilian)

Can you be arrested for disorderly conduct because ignorant people in Massachusetts are abundant and plentiful? If a moonbat sees a gun they automatically assume the worst and go berserk. Basically the outcome of the comic and many open carry videos. Instead you're slapping the red herring around screaming "You can't be arrested for open carrying! Blargh!" I didn't say that. Did anyone say that? Get over yourself.

You can be arrested for anything.

Disorderly Conduct requires that you INTEND to frighten, annoy, alarm etc.

If the fear, annoyance or alarm happens as a secondary consequence of something you are doing for another reason, then you are not breaking the law.

Do you get it? Unless you verbally incriminate yourself, its virtually impossible to prove that any kind of accidental reveal or even OC is Breach of peace.

Don

They aren't typically arrested for disorderly conduct. They're typically arrested for refusing to show ID.

Again, disorderly requires INTENT

First, let's layoff the OP. She expressed a visceral and well conditioned reaction (from living in MA) that many people share. Hell, when I see someone carrying, I try to figure out what they're doing. More than anything that's probably because I just naturally try to avoid coming to the attention of the police. We've all made our points, let's be done with ragging on the OP.

Okay, so let's clarify this. You cannot be legally arrested for open carrying absent some other specific specious behavior. Open carry that causes alarm to others is not grounds for arresting someone or for revoking their license. The case law is clear, read FRB v Simkin. Any police officer that arrests someone without having something more substantial that a trumped up disturbing the peace, etc. risks exposing themselves and their agency to civil liability. Sure, you can be (illegally) arrested for open carrying - or for anything else for that matter. However, if you are arrested, you have significant legal recourse available to you. If you carry -- open or concealed -- behave yourself and don't be a dick. Basically what we should all be doing all the time.

They aren't typically arrested for disorderly conduct. They're typically arrested for refusing to show ID.

Again, disorderly requires INTENT
Thank you, this is a hugely important point. Open carry is not illegal and is not grounds for a 'Terry Stop'. If you're open carrying (or if you expose your firearm and it comes to the attention of the police), the police cannot ask you for ID. However, they can demand to see your LTC. If you're unwilling to assent to that demand, all bet are off and you're on your own.

Back
Top Bottom