• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Partial open carry

So I was at Dunkins this morning with my husband having breakfast. A man walks in with a T shirt and an open vest like a fishing vest. He had two mag pouches on the front of his pants and a gun only partially concealed.

Felt a little uncomfortable because we weren't carrying and in a bad location for exit. Paranoid these days with the shootings in the movie theaters etc.

Long story short, we watched him leave and he got in a Dept of Corrections van.

I think undercover cops and prison guards should display a badge when partially concealed or do a full conceal.

Opinions?

What's the difference between a non government employee vs a regular person partial open or open carrying?
If they were going to hurt you, they will go and hurt you.

I suppose that you'd "feel safer" if it was fully concealed because you wouldn't know.

Remember, badges don't make people safer

I was in market basket and a dude was in the produce section open carrying. The wife didn't notice, then asked why I didn't point him out. I told her it shouldn't matter because its not like you should give someone a wide berth or something if they are carrying, and given it was in the middle of suburban MA if I start pointing then the oblivious are going to wonder what I am pointing out and flip out.

If I see a guy with a gun the first impulse is to check out what he has, not run for cover.

Two things. There is no difference between civilian and police in this scenario. I only pointed it out because it turned out he was a guard. And you are correct, it doesn't make me safe.

Why you ask? Because in MA, it's concealed carry and you don't see open too often so it looks sketchy when you see it. If it was an open carry state like in NH where i also live, it wouldnt stand out as unusual.

You felt uncomfortable, by the sight of someone open carrying in MA?
Are you sure you're on the right forum?

Opinions?

not sure if serious...

let's make everyone modify their behavior because you felt uncomfortable?

new scenario: you. grocery shopping in market basket.

me. grocery shopping in market basket wearing a shoulder holster. glock 19, 2 spare mags. it's of course in my trademark federal agent black.

we both are going for the last 18 pack of bud light. what DO you do, jack?

Last edited by a moderator:
Two things. There is no difference between civilian and police in this scenario. I only pointed it out because it turned out he was a guard. And you are correct, it doesn't make me safe.

Why you ask? Because in MA, it's concealed carry and you don't see open too often so it looks sketchy when you see it. If it was an open carry state like in NH where i also live, it wouldnt stand out as unusual.

First off, police are civilians. This may be the first indicator of the problem.

Open carry looks sketchy? Really? Lots of the 'bangers open carrying their "gats?" Lots of the 'bangers using holsters and mag pouches?

So I was at Dunkins this morning with my husband having breakfast. A man walks in with a T shirt and an open vest like a fishing vest. He had two mag pouches on the front of his pants and a gun only partially concealed. Felt a little uncomfortable because we weren't carrying and in a bad location for exit. Paranoid these days with the shootings in the movie theaters etc. Long story short, we watched him leave and he got in a Dept of Corrections van. I think undercover cops and prison guards should display a badge when partially concealed or do a full conceal. Opinions?
In Mass they are required to display a badge on a belt as I recall unless they are undercover. It's [ to see that your reaction was one of being uncomfortable at the sight of someone OCing I thought this was the big pro OC forum...oh it's different when you actually see somebody [rolleyes] glad you don't live in Arizona, you might feel uncomfortable a lot.

Ummm.. "felt a little uncomfortable" seeing someone open carry?.. in MA???

Even the gang banger/bad guys know enough to carry concealed in this sh*thole state until they're gonna use the illegal gun. At which point they just walk/shuffle with it in their hand. Even ISIS wouldn't open carry here until ready to fire it, cuz they know it would attract the "EEEEK! OMG!!! HE'S CARRYING A GUN!!!!! attention here in the Commonwealth of P*ssyChusetts

If I (rare) see someone open carry in this fairy-ass state I live in, I assume - make that 99% know - that A) he's/she's law enforcement and/or B) "What's your NES user ID?"

OP, I'm not sure I understand. You really felt uncomfortable at seeing a partial open carry?

That sounds more like a personal issue. Although I could see your apprehension and vigilance, try not to let it turn into paranoia. I like to give anyone with a holstered gun the benefit of the doubt unless I see the hand making a nefarious gesture.

I like to see what they carry also. I've noticed many departments are partial to the S&W M&P line.

So I was at Dunkins this morning with my husband having breakfast. A man walks in with a T shirt and an open vest like a fishing vest. He had two mag pouches on the front of his pants and a gun only partially concealed.

Felt a little uncomfortable because we weren't carrying and in a bad location for exit. Paranoid these days with the shootings in the movie theaters etc.

I think undercover cops and prison guards should display a badge when partially concealed or do a full conceal.

Opinions?

I'm not going to bash you like other posters did, but why weren't either of you carrying?

not sure if serious...

let's make everyone modify their behavior because you felt uncomfortable?

new scenario: you. grocery shopping in market basket.

me. grocery shopping in market basket wearing a shoulder holster. glock 19, 2 spare mags. it's of course in my trademark federal agent black.

we both are going for the last 18 pack of bud light. what DO you do, jack?

If you were in the Banana suit I would feel threatened

Last edited by a moderator:

Opinions?

I don't mean this in any way to be rude but were you uncomfortable because you saw someone open carry, or because, for whatever reason, you decided not to carry at that time? If the latter, there's your answer.

Opinions?

It sounds like you are afraid of guns. I OCd all the time when I lived there, never had any problems and never shot up a dunkin.

what about just a banana hammock?

38f5d914513f6cfa5aa06.png

I've only seen someone OC once and that was at a FedEx copy center in Peabody last year when I happened to be picking up my Garand and ammo from the CMP lol. But I'm pretty sure he was a cop/FBI as he got into a obvious looking unmarked police car...

But I'll admit when he first walked in, I almost peed myself and wanted to shelter in place....

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom