Para LDA trigger question

Hi all:

I’m preparing to purchase my first firearm [grin]. This gun will be used for home defense and target shooting and only very rarely for CCW. I will be purchasing a second handgun for CCW (probably a compact frame Sig-we can all debate that when the time comes [smile]

So I am thinking about the Para Ordnance 1991 DX745S which is the single stack with the LDA trigger and a 5” barrel. It gets written raves but I am curious if anyone has any direct experience with this trigger and any suggestions for dealers who carry the Para line (yes, I can do a search for dealers in MA-I’m more interested in your experience with the dealer)

Thanks all, I 've come to respect and enjoy your collective opinion. The reason I don't post often is because I have answered most of my questions successfully with the search feature.

RD

I have a Para C745 LDA the trigger is "OK" but I'm not wild about it. But for a DA trigger it's not bad I much perfer shooting my Colt Defender.

I guess you know S&W has a $100 off new 1911s sale going on now.

Respectfully,

jkelly

I have a Para C745 LDA the trigger is "OK" but I'm not wild about it. But for a DA trigger it's not bad I much perfer shooting my Colt Defender.

I guess you know S&W has a $100 off new 1911s sale going on now.

Respectfully,

jkelly

Yup Thanks jkelly, I do know about the SW sale and that's been the other alternative. I think I've seen the basic single stack 45 acp 1911 sw for sale for as low as 750 new under the sale price so that is pretty tempting and since I'm not carrying (and therefor no need to cock/lock) perhaps I should go with the classic.

Thanks for the firsthand feedback. I appreciate it.

RD

I switched to the Para Ordinance 6.45 LDA after a long run with a Colt Defender. I loved my Colt - loved it, but I began to experience problems that Colt did not seem proactive in fixing and were beyond my skills to repair, so off it went, (sadly). I replaced it with the Para Covert Carry and never looked back. I absolutely love this gun. The trigger on mine is sweet - smooth as butter. It took some getting used to after the Defender, but once I found my rhythm, it's been a joy to shoot. The dealer I used was Pats Gun Shop in Lanesboro, MA, (great guy). Sadly, I'll be parting with my Para in all likelihood, as I do not carry it anymore and need to thin the herd for other projects. If the opportunity comes up to buy another LDA, I will do so in a heartbeat - perhaps a full-sized, as I'll be carrying my 642CT for the foreseeable future...Good luck!

I have a Para LDA "Carry Model" and hate the trigger and their customer service. I will never buy another Para gun; go with S&W.

I can't comment on PO customer service, but I do have an early P14-45. After several thousand rounds through the gun, the hammer started following the slide, requiring replacement of the hammer, sear, and disconnector. The slide stop notch in the slide has worn as well, so the slide will need to be replaced. And I often got FTF in the last round or two of a magazine. Yes, the magazines are new factory mags and I've replaced the mag springs and followers.

My P14 is not a very good gun. Eventually I'll have it built into a race gun. I'll keep the magazine bodies and the frame. I'll dump the rest of the PO parts in the trash where they belong.

Perhaps PO quality has improved since I got mine, or I just got a lemon. YMMV.

I don't own either, but have shot both M&Ps and LDAs. I prefer the M&P's trigger and now you can get the 10 round capacity .45 models! Also, on the wide body LDAs even my large hands have a problem reaching the slide stop without twisting in the grip in my hand. In .45, I still love a single stack 1911.

-= chuck

I occasionally carry a Para CX45 CCO and really like the LDA trigger. There's a learning curve but the trigger is crisp and breaks cleanly. The 3.5" commander-sized barrel makes it a lot easier to carry too. I've put a couple of thousand rounds through it and have never had any problems with it. It's my favorite pistol in the safe.

Interesting

I occasionally carry a Para CX45 CCO and really like the LDA trigger. There's a learning curve but the trigger is crisp and breaks cleanly. The 3.5" commander-sized barrel makes it a lot easier to carry too. I've put a couple of thousand rounds through it and have never had any problems with it. It's my favorite pistol in the safe.

Thanks Ninemil, You're right about the 3.5" barrel being a little easier to conceal but since this one will be primarily for home and essentially for range use, I want to make sure that it's as comfortable as possible (and can stand up to) regular trips to the range to liquidate my disposable [rofl] income. I think that when I pick up my daily carry piece I will be be looking at a mid size Sig or HK or maybe a MP but then I've plenty of time to figure that out...while I save for it.[grin]

I think that when I pick up my daily carry piece I will be be looking at a mid size Sig or HK or maybe a MP but then I've plenty of time to figure that out...while I save for it.[grin]

Since the HK45 just came out, the HK USP45's should be dropping their prices(we hope [hmmm]) I carry a USP45C every day now. Sig's are good as well, just not as reliable for me(I may have gotten a couple of lemons). And don't entirely rule out the Glock compacts and sub compacts. Anything Glock makes is super duty.

Food for thought.

Since the HK45 just came out, the HK USP45's should be dropping their prices(we hope [hmmm]) I carry a USP45C every day now. Sig's are good as well, just not as reliable for me(I may have gotten a couple of lemons). And don't entirely rule out the Glock compacts and sub compacts. Anything Glock makes is super duty.

Food for thought.

Thank you Firetarr. That's (potential price drop) not something I had considered. To be honest I have no solid reason not to like Glocks. I just don't like the look-I think it's just boring. Now, I know that aesthetics shouldn't be the primary selection criteria. And if there were nothing else with the Glock's well rounded package, I would certainly go for it, but I've always preferred the aesthetics of the Sig, the HK, and now perhaps the MP.

If you're considering the Glock route - absolutely look into an M&P 45. I'm not sure where you are, but check to see if there are indoor ranges who rent - that way you can try a few before you make a decision. This is the Internet after all and even my advice on buying a Para Ordinance should be taken with a grain of salt. So as well, should the advice of those who are detractors. If I listened to "negative Internet hype", I'd never have purchased my Springfield Armory M1A SOCOM-16, which is one of the best rifles I have ever owned. Para Ordinance .45's don't get rave write-ups and reviews for nothing....You owe it to yourself to at least try one out. If you are in WMA, I'd be happy to let you try mine out - it will surprise you. Better yet, go Green, come to an NES Shoot and try more handguns than you can imagine.... [wink]

Raoul,
Have you fired a Para with an LDA trigger? If not, I suggest you "try before you buy". I have one, and it is a smooth trigger, but for some reason it never grew on me enough to press into service. I'm not knocking them by any means. It will certainly make a fine carry or home defense gun. I had wanted to use mine for USPSA shooting and it's was too long a trigger for that (for me). In any case, try a few different guns if possible before spending any money.
-Cuz.

Raoul,
Have you fired a Para with an LDA trigger? If not, I suggest you "try before you buy". I have one, and it is a smooth trigger, but for some reason it never grew on me enough to press into service. I'm not knocking them by any means. It will certainly make a fine carry or home defense gun. I had wanted to use mine for USPSA shooting and it's was too long a trigger for that (for me). In any case, try a few different guns if possible before spending any money.
-Cuz.

+1 Excellent point. I'm the opposite - mine grew on me and I love it. Raoul, if you're out this way, (exit 2), drop me a PM - you're welcome to burn some ammo through mine any time.

Trying before buying is right on

+1 Excellent point. I'm the opposite - mine grew on me and I love it. Raoul, if you're out this way, (exit 2), drop me a PM - you're welcome to burn some ammo through mine any time.

Hi Mass Mark,

Thanks for the offer. I'm still considering several different models and makes. Your primary point, and that of several other posts, to "try before you buy" is right on. I live in Greenfield which is about 40 Minutes north of the SW Range/store so I have been going down there to rent my way through their lineup. The advice about going green is also great advice. But seriously, with the limited funds that I have to put towards this hobby right now, me while I could and will afford the membership fee, but I don't know if I could afford the group buy temptation![crying]

Last edited:
Hi Mass Mark,

Thanks for the offer. I'm still considering several different models and makes. Your primary point, and that of several other posts, to "try before you buy" is right on. I live in Greenfield which is about 40 Minutes north of the SW Range/store so I have been going down there to rent my way through their lineup. The advice about going green is also great advice. But seriously, with the limited funds that I have to put towards this hobby right now, me while I could and will afford the membership fee, but I don't know if I could afford the group buy temptation![crying]

Well you're not too far, so if you're in the area, let me know. As for going GREEN, the group buys are like a crack addiction, but membership is well worth the 19-bucks. Our resident Para Ordinance collector, (C-pher) could put you into Para bliss at the next NES Members Only Shoot....[wink]

If you're not going to carry, I really don't see any point to the LDA trigger. (I still don't see a point for carry either personally, but that's another argument.) If you're not carrying and therefore don't have to worry about cocked and locked carry (if that scares you for some reason), why wouldn't you want the 1911 single action trigger? The best handgun trigger going, in my opinion.

Really...interesting to hear. What problems have you had with their CS? Could you elaborate?

After 200 rounds of 230 gr FMJ the slide cracked. When I contacted Para CS they said they would "see" if they would replace the slide. They did replace the slide but seemed reluctant to do so. Shipping cost me $60 on a brand new $839 pistol. I also experienced some stovepipes with their new and improved wonder trigger.

After 200 rounds of 230 gr FMJ the slide cracked. When I contacted Para CS they said they would "see" if they would replace the slide. They did replace the slide but seemed reluctant to do so. Shipping cost me $60 on a brand new $839 pistol. I also experienced some stovepipes with their new and improved wonder trigger.

Sorry, I meant wonder extractor.

Ok everybody, I hope your day or night is going well.

I just picked up my first 1911. It's a Para Ordnance RX 189E (nite tac 9). The original configuration of this pistol is 18 + 1, however, I have a restricted MA - Compliant model with 10 rds.

1. Are there any compatible magazines from other 1911-series pistols that would work with my pistol?

I have been looking for aftermarket parts w/o any luck. I've tried google, inside this forum and have NOT found anything perticular to 9mm - 1911 style guns.

2. Are there any "secret squerrel" websites out there I am missing? I have tried the usual ones w/o any luck.

3. Conversion kits: can I convert this thing to a .45 or .40 S&W with a simple barrel and magazine swap? or do I have to get into further break downs with recoil springs ect?

these questions have poised me to see if there is anyone else out there in my situation. i even tried the para ordnance websites w/o any luck.

this pistol resembles a Nite Tac 14.45, (all black) but is 9mm. the closes thing i found online was a nite tac 5 -

anyway, any Para O guys out there.... i'd greatly appreciate ANY pointers to forums or websites.

thanks....

There's a forum over on M1911.org and you can join Para Ordinance website. The Para forum is here: http://forum.m1911.org/forumdisplay.php?forumid=24

I have no idea if you can convert your gun - our resident Para guru C-Pher may be able to help you there. Check Brownells at www.brownells.com - they seem to stock a lot of Para-phernalia.Nice looking ride you have there - let us know how she shoots.

I tried to convert a LDA .40 to a LDA .45. The slide for an LDA pistol is not the same thing as a regular 1911 slide, and nobody would sell me the Para LDA slide. I ended up selling the .40 and buying the .45 instead. I do like the LDA trigger a lot.

The trigger is very nice once you get used to it. I just find that the slide material is a little bit soft, which causes the slide stop to become worn down too quickly.

The trigger is very nice once you get used to it. I just find that the slide material is a little bit soft, which causes the slide stop to become worn down too quickly.

Same thing happened to me. I've put at least 5X the number of rounds through my Kimber as through my PO. No wear on the Kimber slide stop notch. Lots of wear on the PO slide stop notch.

Yeah, my S&W stainless shows no wear on the notch, the Para is noticeably deformed

Huh...Are Paras made in different plants? Do materials differ model to model? The reason I ask is that I have experienced none of these issues. I'm sitting here staring at my Para 6.45 Covert Carry as I type this and can't see a thing wrong with it. It's been simply 100%. If I wind up keeping it, (which I secretly hope I do), I'll bring it to a shoot and perhaps one of the gurus can give it a look see. Other than the obvious blemishes from ownership and carry, the gun just looks and feels perfect - cosmetically and mechanically.

Dunno. The one I've shot a lot is my dad's, it's a P14.45 LDA Limited, one of the early LDA models. The slide stop is noticeably deformed and is no longer flush with the side of the slide.

Back
Top Bottom