P80 in person build class?

Well, from what I see, the locking block rail insert should be carrying most of the load in that area. IANAGS*, but I think it would be shootable with a need to inspect there for potential cracking after each session. Also, it's important to remember that internet advice is worth everything you pay for it.

*I Am Not A Gun Smith

Last edited:
View attachment 787236
So I got a little carried away with the dremel on the left side (lesson learned). Is this thing salvageable or should I move on to the next one?
Don't use the Dremel for that, use snips and a flat file. Use the Dremel to cut the notch for the recoil spring.

Yes, move onto the next one. But use that one to practice cutting the notch for the recoil spring (with your Dremel),

What's up with the Trigger Pin hole? Did you countersink it or is it just not drilled all the way out?

View attachment 787236
So I got a little carried away with the dremel on the left side (lesson learned). Is this thing salvageable or should I move on to the next one?

The only power tools I’ve used are drills for the holes. They’re just not necessary for the rest. You can perpendicularly use a knife, rotating to scrape out most of the recoil spring cutout. Then you can use a little round sanding bit or round file by hand to clean it out.

Last edited:
Buy this and clamp it to your kitchen table.
Drill horizontal. As long as you don't go into seizures doing it. You'll be fine.

Or order the new metal jig and wait it out.

Screenshot_20230820-185901.png

Thanks. New metal jig = too much dinero for a one/two off. Am already kicking myself for trying to go down this road..

Without a drill press it’s a challenge getting the holes lined up/straight.
1692633865948.png

Maybe you can squeak by with this on your pilot's salary.

This fxcking place is really weird.

I've never built a P80 but watched some guy build one on a tail gate on utube. Can't be that hard.

I’ve used a oscillating tool to hog out the guide rod area and the tabs at the rails.

Piece of cake.

Any chances there are any classes or in person group builds or something one can get in on?
Several times I have gone to the mill and bought a handful of 80% receivers. Each time the vendor had several young men at a work bench, working on p80's.
I assumed that the vendor was giving instructions on how to complete them.
Maybe he will see this thread and pm you.

I’ve done them on kitchen table, no vise, just drill bits provided. Instructions say not to use drill press. Drill just the one side, then flip over and drill the other.

My somewhat educated guess as to why is so that the holes have a slight misalignment along the pin axis which while still allowing the pin to go through and be in the correct spot, gives enough friction to help keep the pins in place. This is just my assumption.

Mine work. I could assemble these things blackout drunk and they would work.

Last edited:
Thanks but for one or two of these I’m gonna pass. Just isn’t worth the investment.
The beauty of these is you can use them for things other than guns.

But you don't sound like the handy type so having tools is probably not your thing.

I’ve done them on kitchen table, no vise, just drill bits provided. Instructions say not to use drill press. Drill just the one side, then flip over and drill the other.

^This. No vise or drill press. Did 4 of them not an issue. I will say that the GST-9 was even easier than the P80 but I was able to grab the P80's back when they had a deal on them for like $49 with clamshell and GST-9 was under $100 but both are doable without a drill press. Go watch the videos on 80% arms website

After Sandy Hook, CT passed new regulations with a window before they took effect. At that time, I had no interest in AR-15's or "high capacity" handguns. I bought (3) AR's, a G34, a couple of Sigs and a revolver I'd been eyeing. Broke a cardinal house rule and used a credit card. Came home, told my wife what I'd done, and what my plans were to pay off the debt and that was the end of that.

Moved down here, leaving the ARs in a safe in CT, and immediately bought one for the safe here. Started thinking as the rumblings about "assault weapons" grew on the national level, and bought some 80% lowers for AR's. While I was at it, I bought a couple 80% lowers compatible for Gen 3 G17s.

The majority of the firearms I own were built by "manufacturers", serialized and at some point went through distributor and FFL. I've got some from private sales that there's no paperwork on, (perfectly legal here), and I've got some lowers that never had serial numbers.

If you believe that there's any chance that the government, (local/state/federal), might demand that you relinquish the firearms that they know about, (the ones on a list) - then you should have some that they don't know about. And they should be stored somewhere other than where your listed ones are.

As for the OP - if you're smart enough to fly a plane - you're smart enough to finish out an 80% lower - there are about 152,375 [1] videos on youtube showing how to do it.

[1] Yes, I DID pull that number out of my ass - but there ARE plenty of videos out there.

Marine Gun Builder had some excellent videos on youtube about how to troubleshoot your P80 build and how to build a P80 but then they took them all down. If you google his videos you should be able to find them. I was able to download them but my laptop that they were on shit the bed and I am hoping to pull the hard drive and put it in an enclosure and recover everything off that.

Marine Gun Builder had some excellent videos on youtube about how to troubleshoot your P80 build and how to build a P80 but then they took them all down. If you google his videos you should be able to find them. I was able to download them but my laptop that they were on shit the bed and I am hoping to pull the hard drive and put it in an enclosure and recover everything off that.
I believe he took them all down. Haven’t looked lately. Maybe back up again.

I built mine with a hand-crank drill just to see if I could. I started using a Dremel for the tabs, but that was overkill. Hand file is enough. You don't even need power tools to build one. The jig really does all the work.

Because of this thread, I built my P80 that I had sitting around for umpteen years.

Well, I sorta built it. I completely cocked up putting the slide stop in. D'oh!

Well, I figured if some teen gang banger could build one, I could too. Well, I was wrong. Watching videos and reading instructions doesn’t really help. Any chances there are any classes or in person group builds or something one can get in on?
Rob Pincus ran at least one build event in MA and organized the Gun Maker's Match in 2021 and 2022. He made it abundantly clear who could touch what and when to comply with federal law when building. I have not heard anything about such build events recently.

Last edited:
View attachment 787601

Maybe you can squeak by with this on your pilot's salary.

This fxcking place is really weird.

I've never built a P80 but watched some guy build one on a tail gate on utube. Can't be that hard.
I’m going to try flying a plane.
I’m an excellent driver with way over 1 million accident free miles.

Rob Pincus ran at least one build event in MA and organized the Gun Maker's Match in 2021 and 2022. He made it abundantly clear who could touch what and when to comply with federal law when building. I have not heard anything about such build events recently.
I’m familiar with those CGW events and also looked to see if they were still offering them. I think they stopped when the ATF was trying to modify their frame/receiver rules. Everyone that sold some form of 80% receiver got a threatening letter, and all sales ceased. Many places are back to selling unfinished receivers.

Back
Top Bottom