P80 in person build class?

ha ha, still looking for a plunger spring from an ar build on the dining room rug. the dining table is my bench. a placemat hides the holes i drilled in it for a vice. i got my shadetree gunsmith license from johnnie walker.
Lol gunsmithing is the reason i have a cat

Just put it on your lap and when a spring sends something flying hes off like a bat out of hell after it

Well, I figured if some teen gang banger could build one, I could too. Well, I was wrong. Watching videos and reading instructions doesn’t really help. Any chances there are any classes or in person group builds or something one can get in on?
Get yourself a Dremel tool to cut out the notch, don't try drilling it out as the instructions call for.

Cutting that notch is the most difficult step, the rest is fairly easy. A good set of various size files is also a must.

Don't get discouraged. Accept the fact that the first one is going to be for practice and likely a throw away. Take your time, you can do this.

Don't they still come with the jig? A razor knife cuts the tabs. Then it's just the area to file out. And drill some holes.
Also I have more than double the feedback so you better listen
Don't they still come with the jig? A razor knife cuts the tabs. Then it's just the area to file out. And drill some holes.
Also I have more than double the feedback so you better listen 😉
Aye aye sir!

All sorts of pliers come up when you search for those terms, and I may have even gotten the terms wrong, but the pliers I’m talking about look kind of like this:
View attachment 786899

You don’t need them, but they make quicker work or the tabs.
That's what I'd call a "nipper".

Of course, my opinion and 50 cents leaves you short of money for coffee.

Well, I figured if some teen gang banger could build one, I could too. Well, I was wrong. Watching videos and reading instructions doesn’t really help. Any chances there are any classes or in person group builds or something one can get in on?
You're not alone. I have mentioned something similar before and was derided by NES know-it-alls. They don't seem to understand that not all of us are Captain Nemo-level geniuses.

I also don't think gangbangers build P80s either. In dozens and dozens of articles about criminals where they show pictures of firearms, I saw P80 once, twice at most. In both cases, it looked like crap. No sights and the slide fit looked like it will never fire.

I have NEVER seen a P80 that was put together well that didn't cost less than $800. I shot my friend's P80 which was a comfortable, precise, and reliable shooter but he spent close to $1000 on his. I've also seen folks test their cheap-looking P80s at the range and they would jam every other round.

In other words, P80 is just not a viable option for bad people or good people who want cheap firearms.

You're not alone. I have mentioned something similar before and was derided by NES know-it-alls. They don't seem to understand that not all of us are Captain Nemo-level geniuses.

I also don't think gangbangers build P80s either. In dozens and dozens of articles about criminals where they show pictures of firearms, I saw P80 once, twice at most. In both cases, it looked like crap. No sights and the slide fit looked like it will never fire.

I have NEVER seen a P80 that was put together well that didn't cost less than $800. I shot my friend's P80 which was a comfortable, precise, and reliable shooter but he spent close to $1000 on his. I've also seen folks test their cheap-looking P80s at the range and they would jam every other round.

In other words, P80 is just not a viable option for bad people or good people who want cheap firearms.

$1000 for a reliable P80? WTF? Throw a parts kit and PSA Dagger upper and you're done for half? Add night sights, some mags, holster and you're still under $800.

$1000 for a reliable P80? WTF? Throw a parts kit and PSA Dagger upper and you're done for half? Add night sights, some mags, holster and you're still under $800.

Hell, even with a Glock complete slide and glock lower parts kit can be done for $600. Not cheap, but definitely doable.

You watching Boston PD Twitter?
If they’re home builds or stolen. 80s have been posted multiple times.
It doesn’t matter if the thing works. Apu doesn’t know that.

Hell, even with a Glock complete slide and glock lower parts kit can be done for $600. Not cheap, but definitely doable.
The point is, even a regular Glock cheaper than those P80s. A complete PSA Dagger is $370 and will work better than most P80s.

I don't mean to disparage P80s. I've shot some beautiful P80 examples of workmanship and style. There are people who can make a firearm and it will be excellent. For the rest of us, there's Canik, Glock, and SIG

I will say that while I built a P80 a while ago, their plastic clamshell sucks and the holes seem to be not quite perfectly aligned with the rear rail insert, whatever it’s called. Takes some fenagling with angles.

Whereas I’ve seen some 80% Arms GST-9s. They feel so much better in the hand than P80’s brick-like grip. And I hear the new metal jig makes everything line up nicely.

The point is, even a regular Glock cheaper than those P80s. A complete PSA Dagger is $370 and will work better than most P80s.

I don't mean to disparage P80s. I've shot some beautiful P80 examples of workmanship and style. There are people who can make a firearm and it will be excellent. For the rest of us, there's Canik, Glock, and SIG

It’s never been a value proposition. It’s for the fun of it. But it’s also not crazy expensive to make one that works well.

Yeah - as mentioned, you won't find any 'classes', or even public build parties any more. Thanks to AFT for that.
Might be a good idea to join up at some of the sites with lots of active builders, and find someone in your area that's willing to help out.

Search P80 on rumble and buy a $60 dremmel drill press adapter, or so I’m told *I* know nothing about this P80 nonsense……
Interestingly, the P80 instructions tell you to do the pin holes using a hand drill by eye and to not use a drill press. I've never really understood why they say that.

IMG_8946.jpeg
So I got a little carried away with the dremel on the left side (lesson learned). Is this thing salvageable or should I move on to the next one?

Back
Top Bottom