Optical sight solution

Bill Nance

Banned
I know this has been talked about before but given the increase in people buying ARs, I thought I'd post something.

I recently bought a SIG556 from an NES member (and I absolutely love it, THANX GOOSE!) but it needs an optical sight as the iron sights flat suck.

After looking at the options I quickly saw that my first choice, an EOTEC, was going to cost me a lot of money. More money frankly, than I had after just laying out a lot of money on new guns.

But on Ebay I found a good deal on the Bushnell HOLOSIGHT. For about $200 it's an excellent sight, certainly as accurate as I need for either short-range tactical or plinking up to 200 yards or so.

I will probably get a hot stuff optical set up some day, but for now this baby works fine. Target acquisition is amazing (I've never used a holographic sight before this) and I had an absolute ball blasting through 20-round mags accurately just about as fast as I could pull the trigger.

Just an FYI to anyone else wondering what optics to get. EOTEC is very nice indeed, but it's over $500 new, and the options just get more expensive from there.

Midway has a Millet scope with an illuminated reticle that is 1x to 4x in magnification. On 1x it shoots like a dot scope and the higher magnification is good for longer distances. They were on sale for about $200, but I think they are up to $250 now.

I know this has been talked about before but given the increase in people buying ARs, I thought I'd post something.

I recently bought a SIG556 from an NES member (and I absolutely love it, THANX GOOSE!) but it needs an optical sight as the iron sights flat suck.

After looking at the options I quickly saw that my first choice, an EOTEC, was going to cost me a lot of money. More money frankly, than I had after just laying out a lot of money on new guns.

But on Ebay I found a good deal on the Bushnell HOLOSIGHT. For about $200 it's an excellent sight, certainly as accurate as I need for either short-range tactical or plinking up to 200 yards or so.

I will probably get a hot stuff optical set up some day, but for now this baby works fine. Target acquisition is amazing (I've never used a holographic sight before this) and I had an absolute ball blasting through 20-round mags accurately just about as fast as I could pull the trigger.

Just an FYI to anyone else wondering what optics to get. EOTEC is very nice indeed, but it's over $500 new, and the options just get more expensive from there.

you can get the Eotech starting at $350.
But the Bushnell is a nice sight for less cash...they are fast sights

I don't like the eotechs, hearing a lot of bad things about them on a few forums. I actually have used both and much prefer the bushnells over the Eotechs. I am probably going to throw an Aimpoint on mine. I originally was going to go Eotech, researched them and was 'hell no' and then went Triicon but decided most of my shooting will be up to 200 yds so a RDS would be ideal.

But yes +1 to the bushnell.

I don't like the eotechs, hearing a lot of bad things about them on a few forums. I actually have used both and much prefer the bushnells over the Eotechs. I am probably going to throw an Aimpoint on mine. I originally was going to go Eotech, researched them and was 'hell no' and then went Triicon but decided most of my shooting will be up to 200 yds so a RDS would be ideal.

But yes +1 to the bushnell.

Doesn't Eotech make the Bushnell for them?

What have you heard about the Eotech that was bad?

Doesn't Eotech make the Bushnell for them?

What have you heard about the Eotech that was bad?

During any sort of heavy use they fall apart, and on a few differing forums as well as watching as local shop trying to see if a guy was full of it saying his nearly new one broke. Not 100% if that is true but if true the Bushnell is made by EoTech the Holosight is made to Bushnells specs and not EoTechs.

Was at the gun shop yesterday to pick up a carrying case for my 1911 and checking to see what handguns are available for rental when a guy came in and asked what he should do, his Eotech crapped out on him at the range after a couple months. Owner said he needs to send it back to Eotech for repairs etc. If it happened earlier he would be able to just take it back and swap it out for a different one.

I'm partial to Aimpoint[grin]

Eotech has been having some Quality issues as of late. Eotech actually bough the design or rights to it from Bushnell. I know several Police Depts in my area have been having problems with the Eotechs. The issues have been battery compartments breaking, sights working,then all of a suddenn not working and issues with the on off switches. I know that one Dept has pulled all there eotechs and are looking at Aim Points or Trijicons.

Like Stinx said, the Bushnell and Eotech internals are the same, the eotech is more expensive because it has a rugged/metal exterior guard and a few other features, plus the brand name.

If you're looking for quality on a budget (i.e. less than a decent Aimpoint) I believe the current hot option is the Vortex Strikefire @ $129. It's one of the only budget red dots that AR-15.com members will even consider discussing. Good luck finding one.

a bump for the Aimpoint Vs EOTech discussion.

Seems what I read on internet forums amounts to "I've read/heard thay they suck/fall apart".

However, speaking with my brother (101st Infantry), he says almost everyone runs EOTechs on their rigs. I don't think anyone puts their rifle through more "abuse" than an Infantryman.

I'm curious which way to go as I budget for optics once my build is complete. What's the best bang for my buck?

I love my eotech, as does every one that shoots my AR. I am personally not a fan of the aimpoints. The bushnell banner (acog clone) seems to be a goot option also

I think the EOTech is quick to use and cheaper across the board. There is something to be said about the 60,000 hour battery life on the Aimpoint, though.

I love my eotech, as does every one that shoots my AR. I am personally not a fan of the aimpoints. The bushnell banner (acog clone) seems to be a goot option also

Why do you love the EOTech? Why are you not a fan of the Aimpoints?

Please do not take offense. I'm just trying to get past the "I like A, I don't like B and I heard that a lot of people like X"

Just looking for a bit more meat, is all.

To a newbie like me, it seems that the low profile, large window and lower price make the EOTech an attractive optic.

Other than that, I am ignorant to the details: Battery life, durability, obstruction to BUISs, etc.

a bump for the Aimpoint Vs EOTech discussion.

Seems what I read on internet forums amounts to "I've read/heard thay they suck/fall apart".

However, speaking with my brother (101st Infantry), he says almost everyone runs EOTechs on their rigs. I don't think anyone puts their rifle through more "abuse" than an Infantryman.

I don't have experience with them. I've read posts from people with both. Every post I've read said they prefer Aimpoint over EOTech. For example:

I think the eotech has one of the best sight pictures of any RDS. Its nice and open and I can shoot very well with it. But I have also seen more broken eotech sights in one deployment than broken Aimpoints over my entire service. Add to this eotech's less than stellar customer service and its a real drag on a good optic. I have an eotech that has never given me an issue, but I wouldn't deploy with it. Its good for the range or matches or anything that counts as play.

http://www.10-8forums.com/ubbthread...942&Words=eotech&topic=&Search=true#Post76942

I dropped off my N cell Rev F eotech sight in Ann Arbor for repairs the other day. The sight crapped out on me and went belly up after corosion developed on the contacts and some sort of sticky substance appeared on the rubber bumper. I'd had a similar, but less severe corrosion problem that was easily fixed with scraping the contact after the sight had been sitting with batteries installed for several mos.

The EO's with the levers and side switches (the 553, IIRC) is not perfect, nor close. It was posted on another forum, by Pat IIRC, that the 553 was removed from service by SOCOM due to repeated failures that, apparently, eotech was aware of.

I run an eotech on my daily patrol rifle, not because I want to, but because thats whats issued on the issued carbine by the PD. Of our 6 rifles, last qualification both that went to the range had dead eotechs and one had broken battery contacts, both came out of front-line patrol cars. I've also noticed the sights to come loose from riding in the racks, though that is more likely a loc-tite issue.

I have an eotech 511 that I used on my duty rifle for a while. I had canting problems with it that eotech finally fixed after they initially denied that there was a problem, then they replaced the base on the sight. eotech's customer service is TERRIBLE in my opinion and from my experience! I have recently replaced the sight with an Aimpoint M4 on a Larue Mount. I have turned the sight on and left it on ever since I got it and there is no doubt that the Aimpoint is a more rugged sight that the eotech. My 511 sits in a box on a shelf to be used only as a "plinker" when I swap barrels on my MRP for range/play use. That 511 is the only eotech that I will own, I'm sold on the Aimpoints!

I used EO Techs for years, both personal and department issue. Although the one sight I owned never had an issue, many others did, including the one I was issued.

Since buying my T1/LaRue mount combo I now have no idea why there is any other dot sight on the market.

http://www.10-8forums.com/ubbthread...297&Words=eotech&topic=&Search=true#Post74546

Some of the folks with Aimpoints who have changed to a different optic have said they prefer a Schmidt & Bender short dot. But that's a $2000 scope.

Aimpoint battery life is huge -- up to 50,000 hours on a single battery. Eotech is much shorter.

For short money, a Bushnell holosight is a good option. I have 2 on 2 different guns and love them. One of these days I'm gonna give in and get an ACOG for one of my AR's.

Last edited:
I just picked up a Millett DMS for a rifle I'm building. Its a big scope and the glass is clear but the red dot is pretty hard to see in the day time. I'm waiting for my rings to come in and I can give a full range report. I run a EOTech 551 (N battery) on another gun and the problem I'm having it that it eats through batteries - even when its off. If the DMS works out, I'll most likely be replacing the EOTech on that rifle too.

great info guys, thanks a lot. Keep it coming.

Lots of reviews against the EOTech, and FOR or against the Aimpoint?

large enough window for CQB-type shooting?

So the ones I have to research are:

All Eotech's cause they seem the same to me.
Aimpoint
Vortex Strikefire (which seems like a very good deal pricewise)
Bushnell Holosight
Millet DMS (which seems somewhat long but it would be nice to get 4x magnification)

Any others?

I'm a big fan of not paying huge prices for brand names is there is a much cheaper alternative that is on par with quality.

So the ones I have to research are:

All Eotech's cause they seem the same to me.
Aimpoint
Vortex Strikefire (which seems like a very good deal pricewise)
Bushnell Holosight
Millet DMS (which seems somewhat long but it would be nice to get 4x magnification)

Any others?

I'm a big fan of not paying huge prices for brand names is there is a much cheaper alternative that is on par with quality.
I think your first choice is to decide whether you want magnification or not. Red dot sights are excellent at CQB distances, but don't help much at 200 yards. 4x is better at 200 yards but a liability at CQB distances. Decide that first. Do you want magnification or not? A 1X Aimpoint is not a competitor to a 4X ACOG -- that is comparing apples to kumquats.

Personally, I've never been disappointed spending money for top quality. I've often been disappointed when I bought a "bargain" and then ended up have to buy the quality product anyways when the "bargain" broke or didn't perform as advertised. In my limited experience, "bargain" optics are no bargain. YMMV.

I think your first choice is to decide whether you want magnification or not. Red dot sights are excellent at CQB distances, but don't help much at 200 yards. 4x is better at 200 yards but a liability at CQB distances. Decide that first. Do you want magnification or not? A 1X Aimpoint is not a competitor to a 4X ACOG -- that is comparing apples to kumquats.

Personally, I've never been disappointed spending money for top quality. I've often been disappointed when I bought a "bargain" and then ended up have to buy the quality product anyways when the "bargain" broke or didn't perform as advertised. In my limited experience, "bargain" optics are no bargain. YMMV.

I will be building several different AR's so I'm open to anything really.

I wanted to build perhaps a SBR afor CQB and then a long barrel for distance shooting...then some 16" for the F of it.

Which bargain ones have you tried and been disappointed with? Eliminating brands will help as well.

I do not like Eotechs due to the flaring around the reticle but I have used them. I prefer the simple red dot of the Aimpoint. Another good option is the Trijicon Reflex. For all 'round performance I would save up for an ACOG. It's great up close and gives you the flexibility to put accurate rounds downrange.

Last edited:
Anyone heard anything good/bad about the bushnell trophy ACOG clone?
Cheap enough at $160 or so.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=859535

It's not an ACOG clone because it has no magnification and is a true red dot sight rather than a scope with an illuminated reticle. That said, it is highly recommended, great sight.

Back
Top Bottom