Red Dot Sights on a Fixed Carry Handle AR-15

FPrice

Retired Zoomie
NES Life Member
NES Member
Is there anyone here who has a fixed carry handle AR-15 with a Red Dot sight mounted on it?

If so, what brand/model do you use.

There are cowitness adapters which bolt on to the carry handle and provide a rail over the handguard / barrel nut. I have run them with both Aimpoint and Eotech and the look and feel slick, while working great. Cheap solution and you keep your carry handle usable.

Is that one of the old C-More sights?
Looks like it but there were tons of clones. Picture is random from the interbet to illustrate the mount style.

They can be had cheaper too.

I have an Armson OEG thats mounts directly to the carry handle of my Preban Govt Carbine.
Works good.
1621176548212.png
There are also picatinny carry handle mounts that that alow you to mount any reddot on top of the carry handle.
Low rings work best.
1621176697492.png
They have holes in the mounts that allow you to continue to use the iron sights.
I have a couple, one made by Leupold and one by A.R.M.S..

I had a Colt labeled C-More with the gooseneck that Frizzle Fry's pic showed - worked great. Not a great dot by todays standards (no click zeroing, battery replacement annoying and with no auto off, frequent), but really liked not having the optics what felt like a foot above the bore. Convinced me to put dots on a lot of flat top rifles. The C-more is still alive 15? 20? years later, and is sitting on a flat top 22LR AR without the gooseneck.

I have a mount and aimpoint pro very much like the one in this picture. If it's good enough for Hoot, it's good enough for me!

(if the original poster is interested in purchasing it, private message me. (if it hasn't sold yet)
hoot didn't have an optic....can't believe nobody caught that one.

9A024042-0D22-4330-ADBD-E616BFBD353D.jpeg

Yes. M68/CompM2. Using a Leupold carry handle rail section and vortex hunter low 30mm ring.

Though, to be honest, if I did t have the optic already laying around and had spare cash, I would have put on a Trijicon 1.5x ACOG or even an RMR or micro-mount red dot.

Do you find any problems using it even that little distance above the carry handle sights?
You get used to it. No cheek weld, but for the 0-200 yard distances the gun is intended for, it’s no biggy. It’s actually kind of nice to use with the buttstock fully collapsed. I just keep my head upright and the red dot is there when I bring the gun up.

I don’t like mounting a 4x ACOG on the carry handle but a red dot works well.

it’s kind of like the 1.93” tall mounts all the cool kids are doing nowadays.

But the Leupold rail is annoying because the mounting bolt head is visible a little in the tunnel and it’s very hard to use the irons.

Last edited:
How much trouble do you have with optic that high?

I know I would struggle to get "Chin" weld......cheek is out of the question due to height

I'd be inclined to suggest building/buying a flat top upper as a better long term solution
I’ve got plenty of flat top uppers, and ones meant for serious use.

This is purely a range toy with the ability for important work if needed.

It’s really not a big deal, since it’s a red dot. Yes, no weld, but it is intended for a max of 200 yards. Put dot on target, shoot. Parallax isn’t an issue, nor is eye box. But like I said earlier, I don’t like 4x ACOGs up there. Then you do run into positioning issues.

View attachment 485266

Yes. M68/CompM2. Using a Leupold carry handle rail section and vortex hunter low 30mm ring.

Though, to be honest, if I did t have the optic already laying around and had spare cash, I would have put on a Trijicon 1.5x ACOG or even an RMR or micro-mount red dot.

That's an A1 upper, isn't it?

Thats a cool looking rifle.
Appreciated. Kind of my own take on a Colt 733, with minor updates and not adhering to “clone” build rules.

That's an A1 upper, isn't it?
Not quite. It’s a C7 or Colt 723/733 style. It has A1 sights, but with both a forward assist and a brass deflector. The A1 uppers didn’t have the brass deflector.

I kind of lucked out that this upper was on a Preban I bought. I took off the barrel and poor quality 1990s parts and built this one. Whenever Green Mountain makes more 14.5” pencil carbine barrels, this upper is getting rebarreled and coming off the SBR.

I carried a GAU-5 in the 70's and have wanted to re-create that rifle for a long time. But with updated features like yours.

Guess I'll have to wait until I can move to a free state.

AND maybe win a lottery or two.

I carried a GAU-5 in the 70's and have wanted to re-create that rifle for a long time. But with updated features like yours.

Guess I'll have to wait until I can move to a free state.

AND maybe win a lottery or two.
That’s awesome. How’d you like the GAU-5 back then?

That’s awesome. How’d you like the GAU-5 back then?

Sorry to say that I did not know enough about guns back then to really be able to appreciate and analyze it. Those skills came much later in life.

But, it was handy to carry and jump with the collapsible stock. Not to mention fun to shoot.

One interesting thing that we did when I was assigned in Germany. We went to Scotland for a week of training. One evening we went to a KD range with a bunch of tracer rounds. It was amazing to see how those 5.56mm rounds ricocheted all over the place from the 200 meter line. Thankfully none came back at us (that we saw) but they went almost every other direction.

There are cowitness adapters which bolt on to the carry handle and provide a rail over the handguard / barrel nut. I have run them with both Aimpoint and Eotech and the look and feel slick, while working great. Cheap solution and you keep your carry handle usable.

This extended mount is how I mounted my Aimpoint M2 over the hand guard. Made the Aimpoint and iron sites cowitness with each other. Worked well.

Back
Top Bottom