Prizm sights and magnification

DarkJoker33

NES Member
Anybody try it?

By itself or magnified?

I know they are a tad on the heavy side and combined with a magnifier, it would probably be a bit more than an lpvo. But I'm curious.
Also have a stigmatism in both eyes. Right eye dominant.

The mounting comes into play as well, if magnified additionally.

Comment away.

And if you are curious to the setup I'm eyeing, it's the bushnell 3x magnifier and the swampfox trihawk.

Trihawk 3x30 Prism Scopes

Buy Transition™ 3X Magnifier and More | Bushnell

I have a nasty astigmatism as well. Prism sights don't have the same starburst/cloud issues for me. The technology is different, pretty much like a standard crosshair sight.

I am currently using a red dot (which looks bad to me) and a cheap (but descent) Primary Arms flip-up magnifier.
Some feedback: Taking a class with my rifle in this configuration left me "less in love" with the flip-up magnifier concept. Besides the additional weight, it always seemed to be in the wrong position for the distance I was at. If it was raining, the magnifier added another 2 layers of raindrops beaded on the surfaces I had to see through.
Be advised: The magnifier needs to be mounted fairly close (within an inch or two) to the sight on the rail or you won't be able to correct for the error the magnifier introduces with the magnifier's own set of adjustment screws.

An option I am considering is the Cabela's 3X prism sight (at Bass Pro shops):
I looked through one on a friend's gun, it looked great. I was told it is a rip-off of a Burris model, but for $150, it might be worth a try. As as proof of concept if nothing else.

I looked through Sig's Prism sights. They looked great as well, though a tad pricy.

I hope that helps!

i did not try swampfox version, but, it seems a bit too expensive for a 3x prism.
cheapest good one i could find and use on tavor is AT3 Tactical with BDC reticle - it is ok.

cabelas version BDC reticle is too fat for a central dot. AT3 is slim enough to be able to hit a 1" bullseye at 100yds.
at shorter distances you just use the ring around it.

it is usable on the 10"-12" sized steel plate up to 200yds. beyond that - good luck.

at3-tactical-3xp-3x-prism-scope-ballistic-illuminated-reticle.jpg

I have a Primary Arms prism scope with a 3x magnifier. Works well but does add weight to the rifle. Without the magnifier the ACS recticlie is very small.

I forgot to mention the reason the Sig sights got my attention: The Sig Bravo 3, 4 and 5 have exceptionally wide fields of view. They use a technology they call "Megaview" which widens the view by 42%. It helped to remove some of my concern where a magnified primary sight would have such a small field of view that I could not find the target at closer range.

These magnified prism sights tend to have one (or more) rails on them so you can mount an additional red dot above or to the right or left. That extra complexity seems a tad nutty to me, and with the astigmatism would not work for me anyway.

To answer question, yes a 1x prism can be magnified. Personally I’d just go for the PA 2.5x prism. It’s a good deal and gorgeous glass quality. The newer prism models are like $370 i consider too pricy for what one gets.

Back
Top Bottom