• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

opinions on paratrooper sks

recently i put my hands on a chinese paratrooper sks; i really like the look and feel of the shorter barrel. however, in the classic 'which sks should i get' threads that fill the internet, the paratroopers never come up. is there a reason i should avoid them?

I have and SKS-M, the paratrooper that accepts AK mags. It has a chrome-lined barrel, and I really like how the rifle handles with the shorter barrel.

I think you don't hear a lot about them because they aren't actual military-issue weapons. They were made for the commercial market, so collectors and "purists" aren't as interested in them.

They are a lot of fun to shoot. As ScottS notes, they were not genuine issue, but were remakes done specifically for the US market. The best of them were made from Factory 26 production rifles. SKSRay is the guy for SKS information. He often pops up on SKS related threads. You might want to ask a moderator to move this over to the Mil Surp forum where Ray hangs out a lot.

I think the reason why they don't come up in suggestion is because people will refer you to either a Yugo, Romanian, Russian, or Chinese depending on their preference, and leave out details like variations. Very rarely have I seen anyone recommend say an early 1950's Russian because of the spring loaded firing pin, or Chinese paratrooper because of the barrel length.

They're getting harder to find so if you have a chance at one for a decent price, I say grab it before someone else does. They're still fairly accurate, and are louder than a standard length SKS.

I've got 3 and love them. One is an M model and the other 2 are standard config SKS types including this one that was a Sino Soviet:

100_0443.jpg

holy crap that was fast. thanks for the replies, i will move forward informed! the internet works!

I think the reason why they don't come up in suggestion is because people will refer you to either a Yugo, Romanian, Russian, or Chinese depending on their preference, and leave out details like variations. Very rarely have I seen anyone recommend say an early 1950's Russian because of the spring loaded firing pin, or Chinese paratrooper because of the barrel length.

They're getting harder to find so if you have a chance at one for a decent price, I say grab it before someone else does. They're still fairly accurate, and are louder than a standard length SKS.

I've got 3 and love them. One is an M model and the other 2 are standard config SKS types including this one that was a Sino Soviet:

100_0443.jpg

A Yugo???? Please tell me the gun is better than the car.

I really like mine, although sometimes I wish I had gone with the "straight" Paratrooper as shown in SKS Ray's pic. Something very martial about it.

x0qy2q.jpg

bdmzvb.jpg

I did have Tom Prince do a tigger job on mine (astonishing difference), as well as have the firing pin mod done to prevent slam-fires.

SKS Ray,
Tell me about the Russians. I have a 1951 Tula which I have only shot once. What's the story on the firing pin spring?

SKS Ray,
Tell me about the Russians. I have a 1951 Tula which I have only shot once. What's the story on the firing pin spring?

Russia had a bolt design in late 1949/early 1950 that had a firing pin with a spring. In late 1950 they realized they didn't need it and went to the design found in your 1951. A lot of people have their bolts modified to work like the old style did so they can use modern commercial ammo with soft primers and avoid any chance of a slamfire. If your bolt is clean though and your firing pin rattles when you shake the bolt, its working like it should. Unless you get a spring kit, commercial ammo still shouldn't be used because the primers are too soft and slam fires can result. Stick with military grade ammo if you have a bolt in original configuration from a rifle made in 1951 and up.

Ray, I still have that wooden upper you gave me to replace the metal perforated one I have, but it looks like I'm going to have to drive out some pins that hold the gas tube and the front guard holder out. So far I haven't gotten up the courage to take a hammer to it. [rolleyes]

Ray, I still have that wooden upper you gave me to replace the metal perforated one I have, but it looks like I'm going to have to drive out some pins that hold the gas tube and the front guard holder out. So far I haven't gotten up the courage to take a hammer to it. [rolleyes]

Yours shouldn't be too dificult. Someone at one time drove out the pin to instal the cheese grater style one thats on there. Just use a punch thats wide enough so you get full contact on the pin. They're usually ground flush and one side of the pin may have a flattened face. If you can't get it to move from one end with a few whacks, try the other side.

thanks ray! looks like I'll need to hunt some more though. mine looks like the picture on the right in the last set of side by side pictures in the china section. although mine has a syn stock (wood upper piece). they must have had more than one manufacturing site based on the fact that mine is not a /26\ and my SN# is less than the 24 mil which was stated as the highest number the author had seen for the /26\ site.

here's a pic or two

View attachment 8956View attachment 8957

thanks ray! looks like I'll need to hunt some more though. mine looks like the picture on the right in the last set of side by side pictures in the china section. although mine has a syn stock (wood upper piece). they must have had more than one manufacturing site based on the fact that mine is not a /26\ and my SN# is less than the 24 mil which was stated as the highest number the author had seen for the /26\ site.

here's a pic or two

View attachment 8956View attachment 8957

You should probably do some digging on sksboards.com. There used to be a site called simonov.com that had every arsenal stamp listed with a lot of info but the site is gone.

I'm surprised martin08 hasn't replied yet. He's more of an sksboards vet than I am.

I'm surprised martin08 hasn't replied yet

Can't a guy take a day off? [smile]

If you get a chance to buy a paratrooper for under $350-400ish these days, then you may want to jump on it. I use one of mine as my #2 deer rifle. It is the most accurate of all my 27 SKS's.

PtroopSKS_001.jpg

In order to date a Chinese gun, you need to have an arsenal /26\ for sure. And in order to have fun with them, you must shoot them!

If it still has the bayonet lug, then you probably took the bayo off, then found it and put it back on at a later date. Right?

Seriously, there is probably no way to verify when an SKS was imported. Most of these Chinese came through in the days before computerized record keeping at the importing company. I have read several accounts of people writing to IO, CAI, KSI and the likes to try and determine the original import date to no avail.

I say, if it still has a bayo lug, then it's meant to be. Please be sure that a bayo is legal in your area first and foremost!

it has the lug bit it was cut off on the bottom and the bayo is gone. i'm not worried and it, which is why i edited my last post just before you responded. i was just trying to get all the info i could, just to be prepared should any questions arise. not planning to add anything onto this so i am actually good.

thanks for the info though martin.

Mine had a little something extra on the bottom when I got it. I've since given it away, the extra, that is. It didn't feel right.

It also came with a rubber butt extender which I recommend to anyone with an SKS.

It also has a second sling swivel in the middle of the left side of the stock....right where it's very uncomfortable on your cheek. It appears to be original. (sorry no pic)

sks1.jpg

You can always change your name to "2nd Fiddle SKS Ray".

Its on now! I will ravage all WTS adds and snipe gunbroker like never before.

I do however only collect mint and rare models... you're collection may fail in comparison to mine.[smile]

No matter though, we could combine ours and still fail big time compared to the Howard Bearse collection.[sad2]

Back
Top Bottom