Opinions on Para Ordnance LDA Carry 12

I'm soliciting opinions (good and bad) on Para Ordnance model CTX1245N. I'm considering this pistol for carry purposes. I currently carry a Beretta 9000s in 9MM and I'd like to go to a .45ACP. I've considered the 1911 option but I am uncomfortable carrying a handgun cocked and locked. (It's just an idiosyncrasy of mine, I know it's safe to do.) I'm used to DA/SA as I own several Berettas. This would be my first DAO. It's my understanding that Para's LDA trigger is less stiff than the trigger (in DA mode) on my 9000s. Is this true?

Thoughts.... Suggestions...

I had the 9000s and I wish I still had it. It was a great carry gun for me. The LDA to me is the type of trigger where you love it or hate it. LDA is just what it stands for "Light Double Action". It is very easy to pull the hammer back and then there is a little "snap" and it releases. I would dry fire a few at you local gun shop to see if you like it. Also I think the Para is may be bigger and heaver then the 9000s, keep that in mind.

If you know it's safe, what's the problem?

I guess its a matter of what I feel comfortable with. I have a single action pistol that I use for target shooting and I like it. I shoot IDPA also, for which I use a Beretta 92SB. After drawing and making my first shot, the gun is then in SA mode. I have no problems or issues handling or moving on the run that way. Its drawing it from the holster already cocked (yes I know the saftey is on) that I have the issue with. I know its just a hang up, but I will be using this for defensive carry. I feel that whatever I carry, I need to be absolutely comfortable with.

-Rick

Knowing and believing are 2 very different things.

I'm with ya. I love the 1911 style. Feels great, looks great. I just
can't get comfortable with cocked and locked. I know, I know, it's
safe. But I can't get past it. So I stick with the DA/SA that I know,
trust and now expect.

F

With the LDA trigger it is still a single action trigger technically but instead of having the hammer locked back when you pull the trigger it moves the hammer back and releases it. Just know that after your first shot the gun doesn't go into single action like a typical DA/SA gun. I love the concept but for me the LDA doesn't work well. I shoot by pinning the trigger so when I break a shot I keep the trigger pinned back and release it just enough to reset it. When I was trying the LDA trigger I would shoot my first shot no problem and then release the trigger for the reset and then gun wouldn't fire. What I realized is with the LDA trigger the reset is actually 2 clicks forward instead of a traditional 1911 where it is only one. I changed the way I shot the gun by doing more of a trigger slap and it worked fine for me.

One thing I did like with it was on precision shots it is more like a revolver and easier for me to prep the trigger by holding the trigger just before the sear releases. I guess it is a love/hate thing for me but I chose to stick with a true SA 1911. With more practice I'm sure I would grow to love the trigger system but for now I can live without.

Pete

If you don't feel comfortable carrying a 1911 and want to carry a .45 there's a lot of options out there besides the para.

I carried a 1911 and a Sig P220 for years but the weight and general size of them made me search for another .45. I went through a lot of .45's before I found the perfect one for me.

I bought a new S&W 457 for $505 at Four Seasons, it's a TDA, 8 shot .45 and only weighs 29oz., it has a 3 3/4 inch barrel and has a dull black finsh. I carry it in a Bianchi Model 5 Black Widow. The finish takes a real beating and it has never had a jam or failed to fire and I have fired over a 1000 rounds with it.

In almost 40 years of carrying I've never had another carry gun that I liked so much.

I recently purchased an LDA carry model from Northeasttrading Co and love it. I have the 6+1 model in a black finish and like the way it feels. I also shoot alot of 1911 style pistols and love the .45 ACP but do not like to carry "cocked and locked" , except with the LDA. I like the weight...feel and function of it and would recommend it. I personally did not like the model with the 10+1 magazines.... it just didn't feel right in my hand so I went with the 6+1......grip is much smaller and I liked the trigger pull...rather crisp for a double action. I have only put 200 rounds through it so far without a hitch.... but I must say it is a nice firearm

Thank you everyone for your input.

After doing additional research I have learned that the Para LDAs are not a true "DA". In that the main spring has to be cocked via the slide and the trigger only operates a hammer. This leads me to a few additional questions.

1. How safe is this to be carried (in comparison to a DA/SA) with the main spring cocked and the safety off?

2. I normally keep my carry gun in a quick safe for easy holstering when I leave my house. What kind of detriment to the main spring would I be doing by leaving it cocked (with the safety on in the safe) for long periods. My thought being that having to rechamber every time I go out would be a real pain.

It would be fine so long as you don't pull the trigger before you reholster it like any other gun. I don't know if it is any safer than a traditional SA trigger with the LDA system but I think it does more to give peace of mind to the person carrying the gun. The longer trigger pull would make an AD a bit more difficult. Is the gun any safer than a traditional 1911??? Honestly, it all comes down to your own personal gun handling skills regardless of the type of gun you decide to carry. If you are unsafe with a DA Sig of Glock you will have an AD, if you're unsafe with a SA or LDA 1911 you will have an AD.

Back
Top Bottom