• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Old man stops robbery

Chalk one up for the good guys!

The last shots he fired were with the guy on the ground, still facing him. Shooter never left the building.

If the idea is to stop a threat, and the guys you've identified as being the threat are still alive and in your close proximity, then they're still a threat. Look closely at :50-:53 in the video. If that dude is facing me, I'm shooting until I'm empty, then loading another mag and shooting until he's dead or disappeared.

+1, they are still a threat as long as they are armed. He was in the back and may have saved lives by following them to the door. If he did not follow them maybe they would have taken some of the people at the front hostage or or shot them.

+1, they are still a threat as long as they are armed. He was in the back and may have saved lives by following them to the door. If he did not follow them maybe they would have taken some of the people at the front hostage or or shot them.
Exactly, they are still a threat as long as they are in possession of their weapons. He took the fight to them, something bad guys do not expect nor have the stomach for. They want the upper hand, the gentleman with his defensive firearm ruined their day at work.
Yes, he would have been arrested and his retirement funds drained if that happened above the Mason Dixon line, but it didn't and he probably saved a few folks from getting whacked with a bat or possibly shot, who knows. Good shoot.

Chalk one up for the good guys!

The last shots he fired were with the guy on the ground, still facing him. Shooter never left the building.

If the idea is to stop a threat, and the guys you've identified as being the threat are still alive and in your close proximity, then they're still a threat. Look closely at :50-:53 in the video. If that dude is facing me, I'm shooting until I'm empty, then loading another mag and shooting until he's dead or disappeared.
I agree with your reading of the video. It's a close call though, always legally dangerous to fire on someone who it trying to get away.

I dunno, ask George Zimmerman.

Seriously though, the guy kept firing after the BGs were out the door and running away. That doesn't pass my test for stopping an imminent threat.

Why because a bad guy has never been known to turn around and shoot? Did the bad guy deserve to live?

Good on the shooter for having the sense to decline interview. Don't talk to cops. Or anybody, for that matter, in a situation like this...

They didn't have previous criminal records so hopefully they can come back and be useful members of society some day, and not get sucked into the vicious cycle of "go to prison, come out, commit crime because no one will hire you because you went to prison, go back to prison".

Last edited:
"Though Henderson said he doesn't blame Williams for shooting, he takes exception with Williams shooting at him while he was down."

Seriously, they are both thugs and deserve to be shot in the ass and then the head. The old guy is a hero in my book!

+1 for keeping quiet.

As far as them getting caught in that cycle - tough shit. They didn't have previous records, so that means they either made it this far in life before making a stupid, life-altering decision or they just hadn't gotten caught yet. If someone doesn't feel like hiring them die to their criminal history, oh well.

Well, it's our tax dollars paying their room and board if they do get caught in the cycle.

Why because a bad guy has never been known to turn around and shoot? Did the bad guy deserve to live?
Those reasons both fail my imminent threat of bodily harm test. Your test results might be different. I think this particular case is a close call, and on looking at the end of the video again, the man may well have been justified in shooting through the door. In my case, if I saw the BGs trying to make an escape, I'd let them, and go for cover. YMMV.

"Though Henderson said he doesn't blame Williams for shooting, he takes exception with Williams shooting at him while he was down.

“I was down, and I'm not going to continue to shoot you,” he said."

dude really cry me a freakin river

That's one talkative perp. Glad I'm not his lawyer.

Ha! No kidding.

“The gun was broken and rusty and wasn't loaded. Nobody was going to get hurt,” he said, standing with crutches.

You'd be better off bringing a knife to a gun fight, than a broken rusty unloaded gun to a gun fight. Sorry your expectations of how things were supposed to go were foiled, you scumbag.

AAR FTW:

Career reconsideration:

“I feel horrible. It doesn't feel good. It makes you think about life's decisions, and how you should live your life,” Henderson said in an interview with the Star-Banner at the jail on Saturday afternoon.

Always get the right tool for the job:

“The gun was broken and rusty and wasn't loaded. Nobody was going to get hurt,” he said, standing with crutches.

Tactical review, 360-degree situation awareness:

With the glass temporarily blinding his friend, Henderson noticed two women were behind the counter and he thought that was “fishy.” Turning around to see what the women were doing, Henderson said he was shot.

I couldn't tell where Williams drew his pistol from. He wore tucked in shirts that looked still tucked after action. Was he open or pocket carrying? Pretty smooth draw as far as I could see.

I couldn't tell where Williams drew his pistol from. He wore tucked in shirts that looked still tucked after action. Was he open or pocket carrying? Pretty smooth draw as far as I could see.
It looked like he was holding a pocket holster in his left hand at the end of the video. Maybe the holster stayed with the gun on the draw?

At :57 you can see him look at his gun with a "piece of shit" kind of attitude. [laugh]

My guess is he has upgraded caliber. Judging by all the running the guys did, if that BG had wanted to return fire he could have easily done so.

"Williams pulls out a .380-caliber semi-automatic handgun"

"Both men were shot by Williams. Their wounds were not life-threatening."

This is why I don't bother with .380.

But but but, BG's go flying when James Bond shoot them with a PPK in .32!

I was just thinking of getting a Seecamp 380 for pocket carry. Maybe this will save me some money.

It looked like he was holding a pocket holster in his left hand at the end of the video. Maybe the holster stayed with the gun on the draw?

Near as I can tell, he was pocket carrying. The guy in the white t-shirt that raises his hands above his head blocks camera view of Williams, but after he moves you can see something being removed from the pistol and retained in Williams left hand. I assume he pulled the gun from his pocket (with holster still on it), kept it on his lap, and then removed the holster to begin firing.

Those reasons both fail my imminent threat of bodily harm test. Your test results might be different. I think this particular case is a close call, and on looking at the end of the video again, the man may well have been justified in shooting through the door. In my case, if I saw the BGs trying to make an escape, I'd let them, and go for cover. YMMV.

I like to think the old guy was just being a gentleman and helping them out the door. [laugh]

Awesome. Don't F$%# with an old man. I love how he shot at the robbers, like a person spraying a cat/dog with a water bottle[rofl]. Props to him though, someone give him a city medal.

At :57 you can see him look at his gun with a "piece of shit" kind of attitude. [laugh]

My guess is he has upgraded caliber. Judging by all the running the guys did, if that BG had wanted to return fire he could have easily done so.

I saw that, too. But with his shot placement I don't think caliber mattered that much, except for maybe the hip shot. Caliber is not necessarily a great substitute for accurate shot placement.

ETA: Not knocking this guy at all. Good for him for doing what he had to do. Here's to hoping he gets nothing but a pat on the back for his actions.

int-o.gif

[laugh]

Back
Top Bottom