• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Old man stops robbery

Great shot discipline! Hopefully the rest of the sheep in that cafe learned a lesson but I doubt it.

Last edited:
Conviction would be a near given if the state wanted it. Charge the person with a crime (mandatory 20 years in FL since the gun was discharge), offer a plea bargain, and let him decide if he wants to liquidate his retirement funds on the chance, however strong, he will win.

Absolutely this. I'm not sure how the state draws the prosecution line between something like this and the other cases in which a discharge resulted in a "mandatory minimum."

I don't think so, he was 4 years old in 1945. We gotta stop calling him the "old guy", or are that many of you under 30 out there?

Beat me to the punch. Way too young for WWII. My dad served towards the end of the war (got drafted at 18) and he would be (if he were still alive) 86.

- - - Updated - - -

How about the part at the end of the video where he is still shooting as they are running out the door and down the sidewalk? [thinking]

It's good that he's in FL and not MA then. All that matters to me is the good guy came out on top and the scumbags didn't.

I don't think so, he was 4 years old in 1945. We gotta stop calling him the "old guy", or are that many of you under 30 out there?

Yep only 71. Late Korea, Early Vietnam. Same deal. Sat in a rice pattie up to his ass in water and leeches chewing on him or being eaten by misquotes in his hooch while he tried to get some sleep. Still no fear.

Last edited:
Yep only 71. Late Korea, Early Vietnam. Same deal. Sat in a rice pattie up to his ass in water and leeches chewing on him or being eaten by misquotes in his hooch while he tried to get some sleep. Still no fear.
Yep, don't underestimate those old guys. They went through a lot of "stuff". Me, I turned 17 just about the time Kissinger was negotiating in Paris, so I missed the joys of Vietnam.

Is that a NH thing, shooting people who aren't threatening you? I didn't know.

[rolleyes] I would consider armed robbery as a threat. It would be nice if this didn't become another out yourself thread. The scumbags made the decision to attempt to rob a bunch of innocent people, it didn't work out for them. I have no issue that these two got shot during, or directly after threatening to harm or kill others. How about this for a thought.....Don't want to get shot? Don't f--king commit armed robbery.

[rolleyes] I would consider armed robbery as a threat. It would be nice if this didn't become another out yourself thread. The scumbags made the decision to attempt to rob a bunch of innocent people, it didn't work out for them. I have no issue that these two got shot during, or directly after threatening to harm or kill others. How about this for a thought.....Don't want to get shot? Don't f--king commit armed robbery.
I consider armed robbery a threat too, and while they were in the shop brandishing weapons, they were fair game. I thought I made that clear. If they are running away like scared children, the threat has stopped, and self defense shooting is not justified (IMHO). Regarding your last statement, I don't consider myself in the role of judge and jury, and it's not up to me to enact retribution or revenge. Just protection. It's not up to me to set them straight.

If that constitutes an outing, so be it.

How about the part at the end of the video where he is still shooting as they are running out the door and down the sidewalk? [thinking]

How about it? These are scum. If they are breathing they are/will be a threat again. Shooting them full of life draining holes is simply being proactive.

I consider armed robbery a threat too, and while they were in the shop brandishing weapons, they were fair game. I thought I made that clear. If they are running away like scared children, the threat has stopped, and self defense shooting is not justified (IMHO). Regarding your last statement, I don't consider myself in the role of judge and jury, and it's not up to me to enact retribution or revenge. Just protection. It's not up to me to set them straight.

I agree with you in principle, but I think there needs to be lee-way for the good guys... There is so much adrenaline flowing in this situation. I'm sure it's nearly impossible for the average person to keep a clear head. It's a little bit outrageous that he would probably end up with a longer sentence than the robbers if this was MA.

I don't consider myself in the role of judge and jury, and it's not up to me to enact retribution or revenge. Just protection. It's not up to me to set them straight.

So are you saying you would charge this man with some sort of crime? What kind of backwards ass justice do you support? Stevie Wonder would be able to clearly see who is in the wrong in this situation. In the heat of the moment the guy kept shooting while they were running away, BFD. As I said the scumbags are the ones that initiated the reaction. They are the only ones to blame. I'm so friggin sick of victims being blamed for the actions of scum. If these dirtbags didn't commit this crime the 71-year old guy may have happily gone to his grave without ever needing to use his carry piece for SD.

Last edited:
So are you saying you would charge this man with some sort of crime? What kind of backwards ass justice do you support? Stevie Wonder would be able to clearly see who is in the wrong in this situation. In the heat of the moment the guy kept shooting while they were running away, BFD. As I said the scumbags are the ones that initiated the reaction. They are the only ones to blame. I'm so friggin sick of victims being blamed for the actions of scum. If these dirtbags didn't commit this crime the 71-year old guy may have happily gone to his grave without ever needing to use his carry piece for SD.
I did NOT say I thought he should be charged with anything. Don't put words in my mouth. The local sheriff said he was not going to charge him, and that's good enough for me. In looking at the video again, I think the shooter made a mistake in following the BGs, and firing at them through the door, but it's a close call about the threat. As I have stated earlier in this thread, we are only looking at videos, and I'll have to assume the shooter still felt there was a threat.

The danger (at least for me) is the thinking that it's OK to shoot someone who is running away and no longer a threat. I can understand adrenaline in a fight situation, and mistakes can be made. But I have thought through many scenarios like this, and I would go in knowing ahead of time what my limits should be.

I would definitely not advise engaging a fleeing BG. I have reviewed the justifiable use of force laws for several states, and someone doing that risks a very long time behind bars. For me, I'm only interested in self defense, and I enjoy my freedom. Once the threat stops, the shooting stops.

Let me pose a question. Let's say that the old man doesn't follow the bad guy out the door or he does fall him out the door and is unable to put the bad guy down.

The bad guy is now running away with a gun and carjacks a woman and her kids in the street and shoots her dead and drives off.

I say chase the bad guy down and shoot them dead.

As long as the bad guy has a gun and he's standing just because he's running away doesn't mean he's not a threat he may not be a threat to you but if you were the only one that is protecting the people because the police have not arrived what are you going to do just sit there and let him just run off and create more mayhem.

I'm not advocating chasing the guy down I'm just saying just because you scare the guy off doesn't mean at the mayhem is going to stop.

The danger (at least for me) is the thinking that it's OK to shoot someone who is running away and no longer a threat. I can understand adrenaline in a fight situation, and mistakes can be made. But I have thought through many scenarios like this, and I would go in knowing ahead of time what my limits should be.

Unless and until (and I hope you never are) in a real life situation like this all the "scenarios you have thought through" mean squat. It will all go out the window.

I would definitely not advise engaging a fleeing BG. I have reviewed the justifiable use of force laws for several states, and someone doing that risks a very long time behind bars. For me, I'm only interested in self defense, and I enjoy my freedom. Once the threat stops, the shooting stops.

This right here is the problem we have in this country today. Criminals don't care what the law is, and until the risk becomes greater than the reward this will continue to happen. Anytime someone is charged for such a stupid thing we should be contributing to that persons defense. the only way to stop a POS criminal is willingness to be as cold and ruthless as they are. I enjoy not being behind bars (freedom is an illusion) too, but as long as I know I did the right thing I would do so behind bars if needed.

Without this video I will simplify the story. Two bad guys shot by 71-year old good guy. [/DONE]

If someone walks in and points a gun at me, I consider them a threat until they're dead or behind bars.

Back
Top Bottom