Old MA non-expiring LTC

Mine was issued in 1976 on my 15th birthday. I still keep it around to remind myself that the government can screw with you any time it wants. From about 2000-2005 I spent time trying to educate the old timers at my club, with poor results. Just last month one older guy was complaining that Bass Pro wouldn't accept his FID to buy a box of slugs for hunting season.

They are out there people!

Last edited:
I wonder just how many people are felons right and don't even know it. My girlfriends dad was in this boat (unexpiring fid) and had guns , but had no idea he was breaking any law until I found out about it. It has to be a LOT of people

They are out there people!

I wonder just how many people are felons right and don't even know it. My girlfriends dad was in this boat (unexpiring fid) and had guns , but had no idea he was breaking any law until I found out about it. It has to be a LOT of people

I'd be willing to bet that there's hundreds of thousands that have no clue. There's a reason the number of licenses in this hellhole went from 1.5 million down to a couple hundred thousand. [thinking]

In my town I believe I recall the PD notifying us of the changes with a letter by mail.
My brother and I both received the letter. A couple of friends who lived in towns
other than mine also received a letter.......Maybe not all towns did this?

Not yet anyway!

But they're working on it.

I heard something very interesting on the scanner today.
A local PD was searching for a someone, don't know the reason, but they ran his name and the dispatcher said he showed an expired LTC from 2011, and no record of any gun sales. ????

Are they assuming he must still have some guns because they can't find any record that he sold them ???

In my town I believe I recall the PD notifying us of the changes with a letter by mail.
My brother and I both received the letter. A couple of friends who lived in towns

It was damn nice of them since there was no requirement for them to notify. I'm actually surprised to hear this.

But they're working on it.

I heard something very interesting on the scanner today.
A local PD was searching for a someone, don't know the reason, but they ran his name and the dispatcher said he showed an expired LTC from 2011, and no record of any gun sales. ????

Are they assuming he must still have some guns because they can't find any record that he sold them ???

There is NO record of "gun sales"! The Certified Record (takes time, not done online) shows "last owner" that registered the gun only, meaning if you sold it, FA-10'd the sale and it was scanned in accurately, that gun will NOT show up on a Certified List for your name. That's it. My source? Director of FRB!

So it just shows that the PD is clueless, as expected.

My town never notified my Wife or I and I would never have expected them to. Of course, I was at the hearings for that abomination called "law", so was well aware of the situation and was advising my gun club at that time (all FUDDs).

People have tried to buy ammo at Walmart with an expired FID before. I've probably dealt with 10-15 personally.

Usually they don't believe me until I show them my LTC. Its such a hard concept for people to understand that MA basically said "Y'know what? No, we're not gonna do that" one day and screwed everyone. One old-timer about 3 months ago didn't even believe me then:

"I don't WANT to carry, I just wanna hunt!"

"I understand that sir, I'm only trying to tell you that the state made you a criminal 15 years ago without you knowing or doing anything wrong"

"BULL****, they can't do that! It says right here look: LIFETIME. That means until I'm DEAD. And I ain't dead, but I will be if I stand here forever and school you on the facts of life, sonny!"

He left without his trap loads, vowing to have me fired. I have yet to be fired. I was depressed all day after that: 47 (?) other states, he would've just went and shot trap with his shiny new Federal bulk 7.5's. But the state needs their money!

OP:

If you have an LTC/FID, take possession of your dad's firearms immediately, as he's not in lawful possession of them, and will not be until he's properly relicensed. That applies to all ammo, too.

If you do not have the license, find someone that does. I'm not saying "sell" them - that leads to other entertainment - but just take them and properly store them.

Oh, and just to be clear - the general wording on the old FIDs was "Indefinite unless suspended or revoked" (at least all the ones I've had and seen) so, they revoked it.
My first FID, issued in January, 1979, only had the issue date and time typed on the front of it by a Lawrence Police lieutenant, who was the licensing officer at the time. It did not say "valid until suspended/revoked" or anything of that nature, but had no expiration date either.

Thank you everyone. I appreciate the sage feedback. After further investigation I have confirmed it is an FID card that my father has. Given that he lives in Worcester I fear he has a long, hard and expensive road to trek before (and IF) he secures that evasive LTC. Man, do I wish I could uproot to a real state like Texas!

Its not long or evasive. Ok it can be long. Just call the PD tell them the situation. My uncle in the same boat was asked to come to the PD with $100 and the old license. Boom! renewed license took 5 weeks. Worst case they will ask he takes a mass certificate course. Its not earth shattering.

Its not long or evasive. Ok it can be long. Just call the PD tell them the situation. My uncle in the same boat was asked to come to the PD with $100 and the old license. Boom! renewed license took 5 weeks. Worst case they will ask he takes a mass certificate course. Its not earth shattering.

He does NOT have to take the course if he's got one of the old "lifetime" FIDs. Those people are specifically grandfathered in.

He does NOT have to take the course if he's got one of the old "lifetime" FIDs. Those people are specifically grandfathered in.

There are more than a few departments that will demand it, based on their assessment of "suitability" and "discretion". It's not worth fighting about it and they know it.

I had a boil on my left but cheek in 1974 and it still showed up on the "computer". Had it lanced in 2012, now I'm good to go..in MA that is.

Does "Suitability" and "discretion" apply to an FID?

Not per MGL for FIDs although I know that some departments have tried to use that.

Also . . .

Problem is that some "Old FID holders" have been ordered to take a course to get a new LTC or it would not be issued. MGL says that they are grandfathered, but paying $100 for the course is a lot cheaper than thousands $$ to an attorney and waiting 2-3 years for MAYBE a ruling in your favor (I'd give it 50/50 chance at best with MA activist judges).

There are more than a few departments that will demand it, based on their assessment of "suitability" and "discretion". It's not worth fighting about it and they know it.

There are more than a few licensing officers and chiefs of police in MA that need to be slapped in the face with a dead fish, too. And have a mirror image of the Constitution tattooed on their foreheads as well.

Has anyone ever heard of someone getting in a legal jam (even just a "civil" fine) due to possessing a firearm with only an expired FID or LTC?
Once case went to trial with the prosecution arguing that the law "obviously" never intended for the protection to extend 15 years. Defense argued the law did not specify a time limit and was clear. Court found for the defendant.
Not per MGL for FIDs although I know that some departments have tried to use that.
Technically true, but the court will generally find for the issuing authority (or, in this case non-issuing authority) in an FID denial case. The law requires the court to impartially review the denial before it issues a ruling upholding the decision.

Back
Top Bottom