OK, now I want to know why you guys are hating on the .40 cal?

I like shooting the .40 & 10mm; lots of fun and accurate from what I've experienced . But as far as a defensive firearm, I have to agree with the bigger cartridge, more rounds school of thought. Just find it hard to conceal carry my old M60 "Pig" with a 100 round belt.

I like shooting the .40 & 10mm; lots of fun and accurate from what I've experienced . But as far as a defensive firearm, I have to agree with the bigger cartridge, more rounds school of thought. Just find it hard to conceal carry my old M60 "Pig" with a 100 round belt.

One shot One kill

I'd probably go the 10mm route too knowing what I know now but it doesn't make much sense considering the availability of 10mm. I don't remember seeing any if many boxes of it at local stores. I only shot a 10mm once a long while ago but I do remember it being controlable.

I reload for pretty much everything I shoot, so I don't worry much about ammo availability. I don't reload for my .44 Mag because I'm getting fantastic results with stock Winchester ammo. No problem blowing up potatoes at 50 yards. They expand well, too. Never had to track a whitetail - they just drop. (Well, one did stagger, then drop.)

My .45 1911 wants to know if this is a serious thread. [laugh]

Never a serious thread when it starts "Why do so many hate the . . . " It's just entertainment. Especially when the hated whatever has fanboy following.

There's a reason Glock rhymes with rock - they are both best used for throwing at an enemy. (Don't forget to pull the pin on the Glock.)
There's a reason forty rhymes with shorty - it's a 10 mm, shortened so you can't load it with enough powder to hurt the limp-wristed.

I think the 40 is the best cartridge available for competitive shooting, particularly IPSC. It will make major, but is small enough to fit 20 rounds in a limited gun. Brass is free on the ground at your local range and the bullets are relatively light (compared to the .45) and thus cheaper as lead is expensive. I do all of my 1911 shooting with a 40, switching to a 45 only when necessary. The transition is easy.

I must admit that for personal protection I prefer the 9mm or the 45. One in a small pistol for concealment and the other in a larger, less concealable but more powerful pistol, where concealability is not a problem. I really don't think that there is anything that the 40 can do that the 9mm or 45 can't do as well or better in a real world, self defense situation.

The .40 ammo can also be a little difficult to find depending where you go.

I call shenanigans on this: During this ammo crunch, .40 has been as plentiful as people talking and texting while driving. Where shops have had empty racks where 9, .38, .45, used to be CASES of .40 has taken it's place.

I call shenanigans on this: During this ammo crunch, .40 has been as plentiful as people talking and texting while driving. Where shops have had empty racks where 9, .38, .45, used to be CASES of .40 has taken it's place.

This is true, I have yet to see any place that I've been to not have .40.

Guys (and gals). Have you ever put on a nice suit and looked at yourself in the mirror thinking, "hey, I clean up pretty well?"

The same feeling can be had with many of these problem .40s. I replaced the fotay barrel on my P229 with a .357Sig barrel (mags and slide fit already) and it's a whole new gun free from the self doubt and loathing of the .40. Trash to cash ladies and gentlemen.

Guys (and gals). Have you ever put on a nice suit and looked at yourself in the mirror thinking, "hey, I clean up pretty well?"

The same feeling can be had with many of these problem .40s. I replaced the fotay barrel on my P229 with a .357Sig barrel (mags and slide fit already) and it's a whole new gun free from the self doubt and loathing of the .40. Trash to cash ladies and gentlemen.

Any caliber with a gun manufacturers name in it was designed up by some NYC advertising Metros while sitting around drinking their starbucks crappachino, while discussing
Dave Matthews lyric

Magnum, Super, Auto were designed by Men, drinking Whiskey while discussing how to kill more stuff faster

Any caliber with a gun manufacturers name in it was designed up by some NYC advertising Metros while sitting around drinking their starbucks crappachino, while discussing
Dave Matthews lyric

Magnum, Super, Auto were designed by Men, drinking Whiskey while discussing how to kill more stuff faster

Like The GAP [wink]

Dave Matthews lyric

Awe...now my self esteem is troubled once more...darn it Supermoto...you owe me for the self confidence you've destroyed!!! :)

Dave Matthews lyric

What about .500 S&W Magnum? Whiskey drinking metros?

Dave Matthews lyric

.45 Automatic Colt Pistol?

Looks like the .45 fanboys failed again.

Woah there, I didn't realize it was that kind of thread. I love my .45s!

The .40SW seems like a pretty effective cartridge, on paper and in practice. I don't own any, though, as I've been quite happy with 9mm for competition and .45 for defensive use. If I was adding a new caliber, it would likely be .40SW.... but I'm not.

Woah there, I didn't realize it was that kind of thread. I love my .45s!

The .40SW seems like a pretty effective cartridge, on paper and in practice. I don't own any, though, as I've been quite happy with 9mm for competition and .45 for defensive use. If I was adding a new caliber, it would likely be .40SW.... but I'm not.

[laugh] I'm just bored and screwing with you.

For right now, all I own is .40 handguns. Mostly because I got really good deals on them, so it's what I can afford to shoot. I wouldn't mind a 1911 or 6 at some point, though.

Back
Top Bottom