OK, now I want to know why you guys are hating on the .40 cal?

The "hate" mainly comes from the fact that .40 S+W is an intentionally neutered cartridge. You can't goose it up, etc, as a result. It's an intentionally crippled 10mm. 10mm fans are pissed because it basically forced deprecation of the 10mm,
which is the "real" .40. -

As far as "knock down power" is concerned, you might want to look at wound ballistics. a little bit. The energy levels between 9mm, .40, and .45 are not huge orders of magnitude different from one another. It's all mostly user preference, really.

One reason I dislike the .40 is because idiots recommend it to newbs all the time, and that's about the dumbest piece of advice anyone can dispense. It's not that its really
hard to shoot, but the awkward recoil impulse of many .40 S+W handguns takes some
getting used to... and exposing a noob to that right off the bat makes it that much
harder for a new person to learn how to shoot.

The only good thing going for the .40 right now is the ammo price and it keeps the grip
circumference of the gun small... but even then, both of those goals are met pretty well by 9mm.

At one point I had 5 handguns chambered in .40 S+W.... but over time the caliber
lost its usefulness to me and I sold them all. I might get another one someday but I have no immediate plans to....

-Mike

Defiantly the most usefull and true info I have read on here all day! Makes sense, I did shoot better with my cousin's 45.

Thanks Mike

I love the .40 S&W and anyone who doesn't like it can kiss the hairiest part of my ass.

They're just jealous because I own a spectacular Springfield XD-40 with about a dozen high-capacity mags that they can't own because their masters in the Commonwealth's legislature won't let them own one.

I, on the other hand, answer to no man and will own whatever the hell I want.*

*This post is best read while "God Bless America" play in the background.

women like 9mm because they can wrap their small hands around the gun and it fits nicely in their purse
Metrosexuals like .40 because they aren't quite women, they aren't quite men. and it fits nicely in their "European carry all"
Men like 45. because they don't need extra rounds, they kill shit the first shot.

NICE!!! I'll have to remember this.

That being said, they all work. I like the .44 mag myself, but then I've dropped many deer with it. My carry gun is a .38 I hope that doesnn't make me less than a woman.
For 100 years, cops carried five-shot .38 S&W revolvers. Even they worked, and they are less powerful than a .22 Mag. Guess the criminals weren't all fired up on crack back then, though.

Don't worry, your .40 will work. It is fun to harass the .40 and the Glock fanboys, though. Expect a lot of it here, but know that those comments are mostly just to get a rise out of you.

You DIDN'T BUY THAT .40 IN A GLOCK, DID YOU ??? Got good medical insurance?? Look out . . . It's gonna BLOW YOU UP !!!

women like 9mm because they can wrap their small hands around the gun and it fits nicely in their purse
Metrosexuals like .40 because they aren't quite women, they aren't quite men. and it fits nicely in their "European carry all"
Men like 45. because they don't need extra rounds, they kill shit the first shot.

Real men step right up to the .44 Magnum and above.

Another reason why people hate on the .40 is for the same reason people often hate on glocks: It's funny to watch the fanboys get pissed off when you make fun of it

Can't get much better than both at once... [rofl]

Glock 23 (.40 S+W) blowing up:

Last edited by a moderator:
NICE!!! I'll have to remember this.

You DIDN'T BUY THAT .40 IN A GLOCK, DID YOU ??? Got good medical insurance?? Look out . . . It's gonna BLOW YOU UP !!!

Ya I did, a G27. And been working on some reloads for it that I haven't fired![thinking] Guess I should invest in a full faced helmet incase some came out a little hot!

There is WAY too much fuss over the subtle differences in the zillions of available cartridges.

Cartridges.jpg

Keep it simple. One big hole (or 3 little holes) in the right spot, will do the job.

* Train, train, train until you can make a hole where you want, under stress.
* Bring a gun. {Remember a .22 in the pocket beats a .45 in the safe.}

Ya I did, a G27. And been working on some reloads for it that I haven't fired![thinking] Guess I should invest in a full faced helmet incase some came out a little hot!

If you want your brass to last, get a KKM barrel for your Glock. Has better chamber
support and your brass won't wear out as fast.... course .40 S+W brass is free anyways,
or just about.

Another good idea in the long run is to use 165 grain bullets. The pressures are a bit
lower... playing with 155s and 165s is a bit less harier than 180s in .40.

-Mike

The entire history of cartridge development if full of "compromise" cartridges that were developed because of issues with previously developed cartridges, many of which themselves were also compromises when they were created. The .40 detractors are just having fun, none of them would want to take a hit or 2 from any .40 S&W out there.

The .40 was invented by French women so that they'd have something to shoot while their husbands cooked.
Now EC you must be joking. Everyone knows the only thing the French do with guns is surrender them to the conquering army.LOL
Now before anyone that is French gets mad I am part French.
Actually there is nothing wrong with the 40 unless you're a professional but some people always feel the need to pick on things like glocks, the .40, the French, fanny packs etc. It gives them something to complain about.

Another good idea in the long run is to use 165 grain bullets. The pressures are a bit

-Mike

SHIT, and I just mad about 50 rds in 180gr. Guess I better hurry up and get a 10mm so I can use up the rest of 200 nosler bullets I just bought! Live and learn....I guess.

I love the .40 S&W and anyone who doesn't like it can kiss the hairiest part of my ass.

They're just jealous because I own a spectacular Springfield XD-40 with about a dozen high-capacity mags that they can't own because their masters in the Commonwealth's legislature won't let them own one.

That was fantastic +1

SHIT, and I just mad about 50 rds in 180gr. Guess I better hurry up and get a 10mm so I can use up the rest of 200 nosler bullets I just bought! Live and learn....I guess.

And the hits just keep on coming......[laugh]

Should have bought a 9 mm.

I defiantly a newb compared to all you OLD guys, but that's OK I wouldn't trade my youth for it for I will be there someday!(hopefully)[wink] As for suckering me into buying it I think not, he recommended that I come back to get what i want several times but I didn't take his advice because I do not have the patience and wanted to leave with a gun.

"Knock down power" may have not been the term he used but I'm sure he knows his share on guns and calibers. My next hand gun I purchase will a 10mm, so I can join the big boy gun club with the rest .45 fanatics. And yes I know 10mm is hard to find but I do do some reloading the "sucky" .40 cal so I will be able to manage.

Thanks for the free lesson though Jose, its a pretty cool link! But I didn't see any 10mm in there.[laugh]

Buy a barrel and some 357SIG ammo and you will be fine. Uses the same mags [grin]

And the hits just keep on coming......[laugh]

Should have bought a 9 mm.

Actually the G 27 magicaly turns into a nine, when I drop the 9mm barrel in it! But ya I do admit I have ALOT to learn, and I learn a little everday through this site. Even if it is from bashing![wink]

-Mike

Listen to the Doctor [Grant]. He knows.

My Sig 229 shoots those 165 grain bullets sooooo nice. Ain't that right, drgrant?

SCORE!!

Back
Top Bottom