• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Officer accidentally shoots self in foot

I went to Assumption college. It is right in a residential neighborhood in the nice section of Worcester. There were always dogs from the neighborhood on campus walking around. One went into a dorm building and no joke, the campus police officer wanted to shoot it. There was a raccoon once in a tree and yes they wanted to shoot that one too. The campus PD were dicks and they were VERY trigger happy. The dog in the dorm was a friendly family pet, not some stray pitbull that just attacked someone.

I'm not surprised this happened and if you met the campus pd there, you would agree.

I went to Assumption college. It is right in a residential neighborhood in the nice section of Worcester. There were always dogs from the neighborhood on campus walking around. One went into a dorm building and no joke, the campus police officer wanted to shoot it. There was a raccoon once in a tree and yes they wanted to shoot that one too. The campus PD were dicks and they were VERY trigger happy. The dog in the dorm was a friendly family pet, not some stray pitbull that just attacked someone.

I'm not surprised this happened and if you met the campus pd there, you would agree.
You mean not some stray dog, right?

Last edited:
As a side note, I didn't even know there were mobile ranges....

There are, and they are VERY expensive to rent. They are cool though.

Hey, now that I think of it... could the truck have started moving when the exercise started? Maybe took it for a spin around the city, sharp turns and all, with a live fire exercise going on in the inside? Now that would be something worth investigatin'! [mg]

Even the raccoons aren't safe anymore.

To be fair, sometimes those stray rounds can bounce around for hours before hitting something. It might not even have been his bullet that hit him.

Haters.

I hate when I forget to take my finger our of the trigger guard...

... And still have it there when I re-holster.

I'm glad he is one of those we can trust to be 'professional' and highly trained to handle firearms unlike we plebeians.

How can you say that? according to the article:
Deputy Chief Keith S. Hough, 55, received a bullet wound to his right foot when his handgun went off as he was placing it in his holster, according to District Attorney Joseph D. Early Jr.'s office, which investigated the 8 a.m. shooting.
It just went off? and yes that is sarcasm in case your detector is broken.

This just goes to prove how wrong everyone on this forum is about cops. All day I read in various threads about what bad shots the police are, but this guy hit his foot on the first attempt.

There are very, very few "accidents" with firearms - accident implies that at some level the event were out of the control of those involved. That's why the Army stopped referring to them as "accidental discharges" and switched to the more accusatory "negligent discharge."

i've seen cops that can't shoot for shit, and i've seen cops that wipe the floor with me, and everyone else around in a competition.

this was a hyper-mega training failure. unfortunately he will not have to answer to it as a "civilian" would where we would risk the possibility of being ruled "unsuitable" depending on the town.

I'd like to see something sent to every single person that had a hand in his firearm training that says "You Failed!".

How the hell would that happen? Was he trying to stuff his whole hand in the holster?

Some of you folks really show your level of intelligence with those kinds of comments, Then you wonder why you have no crediability. That was a Private College, so no tax dollars are used there.

I don't know if I am ready to go that far yet, I am sure there is some sort of grant money they get. Wentworth was a private collage, but the school cops were loosely tied in with the state police. They made sure that was the first thing they told us, to get any idea of them being fake cops out of our heads.

Ugh...

1. As far as tax dollars goes... everyone is getting your tax dollars, so that's a moot point. [rofl]

2. This is COMPLETE BS media story. Chief Sherrill should be ashamed of himself for concocting such a steaming pile of dung that it was a ricochet or misfire. All it does is perpetrate the retardation that guns go off by themselves. We all know they don't. There is no way on Gods Green Earth that he would say something like that about a citizen who did the same thing putting his gun in his holster to go out for the day.

3. I've taught 4 times in the Blue Line trailer. You are required to bring your own firearms instructor to debrief scenarios, and oversee/certify your own officers. Jerry (owner) is there to run the machinery, and act as overall RSO. He is VERY safety conscious. I remember he totally shit on me when the slide closed on my (empty) m&p because I bumped it while moving stuff around on table (yes, its that sensitive lol). This guy completely holstered his gun with finger on trigger. OWN IT.

I'm one of the first guys to defend cops here, but this is retarded... media retarded... chief retarded...

To be fair, sometimes those stray rounds can bounce around for hours before hitting something. It might not even have been his bullet that hit him.

Haters.
Bing, bing.... Bi-i-i-i-i-ing! Ricochet Rabbit!

This just goes to prove how wrong everyone on this forum is about cops. All day I read in various threads about what bad shots the police are, but this guy hit his foot on the first attempt.
Hahahaha

Thanks for the chuckles this AM

How the hell would that happen? Was he trying to stuff his whole hand in the holster?
I worry about my finger being in the wrong spot as I re-holster the 1911 into a soft, crushed OWB holster, while pushing down on the grip safety...

Speaking of cops with bullet holes in them, MBTA Officer Richard Donohue just checked out of Spaulding Rehab and went home. Godspeed.

Speaking of cops with bullet holes in them, MBTA Officer Richard Donohue just checked out of Spaulding Rehab and went home. Godspeed.

did they ever release any info as to whether or not he was capped by a buddy or not? i know there was a theory floating around out there that he could have been.

did they ever release any info as to whether or not he was capped by a buddy or not? i know there was a theory floating around out there that he could have been.
I was told personally by a state trooper who was on ground (but did not fire his weapon) that Donahue was shot with a .45 which would mean (most likely) that a trooper shot him. He told me that we can expect that to come out at some point.

Whether he had good information or not, I have no idea, but he did indicate from first hand knowledge that there was some CRAZY gunfire going on - crossfires, shooting at random noises, etc. He seemed to think it was amazing nobody else was wounded or killed.

Again, all taken with a grain of salt, but there you have it.

I was told personally by a state trooper who was on ground (but did not fire his weapon) that Donahue was shot with a .45 which would mean (most likely) that a trooper shot him. He told me that we can expect that to come out at some point.

Whether he had good information or not, I have no idea, but he did indicate from first hand knowledge that there was some CRAZY gunfire going on - crossfires, shooting at random noises, etc. He seemed to think it was amazing nobody else was wounded or killed.

Again, all taken with a grain of salt, but there you have it.

After listening to the radios that night, I don't doubt this information.

It is actually pretty easy to do, and happens in private training classes with a certain degree of regularity. All you have to do is leave your finger on the trigger when you holster.

It has happened to some pretty experienced shooters. It really just takes one mental lapse at the end of a long day.

Back
Top Bottom