• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Obtaining an FFL in MA?

Possession of silencers.

I think we're supposed to call them suppressors ;)

Add Machine Gun License, simple possession of machine guns and anything NFA.

Add SOT, short circuit the $200 per item tax

Add MA Dealer license, exemption from MA AWB, selling to MA residents

There are a ton of other entities with their hand out, like the town for a local business license. The state for the LLC or other organizational structure, etc...

Last edited:

There are a ton of other entities with their hand out, like the town for a local business license. The state for the LLC or other organizational structure, etc...

The operative term is "can".

Don't forget - you need to document your manufacturing is for R&D purposes only, otherwise you need to pay ITAR a minimum of $2250 per year even if you don't export any product. Many 07's that don't export skip this step, but do so at a very real risk.

I believe that even an 07/SOT would still need a MA machine gun license.

Yes, but with it, you can have machine guns and not semi-auto versions of the same thing. . . giggidy.

- - - Updated - - -

Absolutely 100% wrong. I'm not trying to be a prick. But when you are talking about the law they are "silencers" and silencers ONLY.

WHY? Because that is what they are called in both Federal and MA law. So when talking about the law, you use the words that the law uses.

In the good old days I would get the MG license renewal for free in Acton (over 70), still do and the state dealer license for free in Littleton. No more. Jack.
Appropo of nothing, I was born in Acton 57 years ago. I realize we're talking MA here, but it isn't often I see my hometown's name on the Internet. :) (Born in Concord at Emerson, actually, but my family lived in Acton.) When I return I'm headed to the Cape.

I believe that even an 07/SOT would still need a MA machine gun license.

The last bit of this:

https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXX/Chapter140/Section121

MGL C. 140 § 121 said:
The provisions of sections 122 to 129D, inclusive, and sections 131, 131A, 131B and 131E shall not apply to:

(A) any firearm, rifle or shotgun manufactured in or prior to the year 1899;

(B) any replica of any firearm, rifle or shotgun described in clause (A) if such replica: (i) is not designed or redesigned for using rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition; or (ii) uses rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition which is no longer manufactured in the United States and which is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade; and

(C) manufacturers or wholesalers of firearms, rifles, shotguns or machine guns.

suggests that you don't need a MG licence if you've got an 07/SOT.

Am I misreading that? Is there another law outside of sections 122 to 129D, 131, 131A, 131B, 131E that would require an MG licence for an FFL07/SOT?

Thanks. I have non-licensees subletting to FFL tenants. Even the owner of the mill is a 07. The Littleton PD is a pain in the ass, but the folks at the Boston ATF office have been great about expediting licenses, which is really something for a gov't agency. Jack.

Now if only the PD were anywhere near as accommodating as the Feds. I'm just hoping things go better Friday.....

Welcome to the wonderful world of MA gun laws. Cross the border to NH and your main concern is Federal laws. MA really ties your hands even though you've been interviewed and cleared by the ATF.

Just got that taste of freedom and my 07FFL for my NH location yesterday. Had all local licenses (including local police permit to sell handguns) in 24 hours after getting the FFL.

Just got that taste of freedom and my 07FFL for my NH location yesterday. Had all local licenses (including local police permit to sell handguns) in 24 hours after getting the FFL.

Unbelievable. This is what having less bureaucracy does. I'm still waiting for MA. Congrats, Brian!

How about if you want to smith for clients in state?

Must have an FFL and Gunsmithing license from MA. They require commercial zoning for the gunsmithng license in MA. A friend packed up and moved out of MA when that became law in 1998, and that was why.

Got it. Thanks for the info.

I guess my other question is for everyone at large, are the Littleton FFL folks making a decent side income with what they do? I know the FFL/MA dealer license buys you some nice things, but with the hassle of it all and the D/B/A, LLC, extra tax paperwork....is it worth it?

I am actually looking at purchasing an existing full fledged shop, but might go the scaled down route.

Must have an FFL and Gunsmithing license from MA. They require commercial zoning for the gunsmithng license in MA. A friend packed up and moved out of MA when that became law in 1998, and that was why.

Enlighten me. I don't even know what that is

"07/SOT" = Type 07 FFL + Class 2 SOT = gun mania

It's worth it if you're into guns more than a little bit. Hardest part is the location zoning if you don't already have a commercial/industrial space on lock. Everything else is a breeze. The record keeping and paperwork associated with running an FFL is a non-issue once you've logged in/out a few guns. In fact, it's kind of helpful having accurate records for your own reference anyway.

I know an 07 running out of his house with a state gun smithing license. He does not have a state license to sell guns or a license to sell ammo, so only one of the three possible state licenses.

House is zoned residential but gunsmithing is considered acceptable home use business.

Maybe it depends on the town.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

He does not have a state license to sell guns or a license to sell ammo, so only one of the three possible state licenses.
The MA gunsmithing licensee was issued in violation of state law if the listed location is a residence, even if zoned for a home business.

If the business is not in violation of zoning regulations they're fine.

I don't think so. Read the law itself, but IIRC from reading it years ago, there can be NO residence attached to the location as a condition in the law. So maybe if a detached building, but not in the house. I knew some FFLs who worked this way by putting a "123A" address on said detached building.

Zoning bylaws usually allow most businesses to operate from a residence as long as no (or perhaps 1 or 2, depending on town regs) non-resident employees work on-site.

I don't think so. Read the law itself, but IIRC from reading it years ago, there can be NO residence attached to the location as a condition in the law. So maybe if a detached building, but not in the house. I knew some FFLs who worked this way by putting a "123A" address on said detached building.

Zoning bylaws usually allow most businesses to operate from a residence as long as no (or perhaps 1 or 2, depending on town regs) non-resident employees work on-site.

The person in question has his shop in the basement of his house. I have no opinion on the legality; I just know it exists.

The person in question has his shop in the basement of his house. I have no opinion on the legality; I just know it exists.

The reason I know this (the legality issue) is that I recall asking Glidden about situations such as mixed use . . . I was thinking of the old AG Guns in Lowell. Apartments upstairs above the strip of stores below. The way the poorly worded law was written, a chief could deny the state license in those sort of situations.

A friend of mine tried that in CA and the mailman complained. The postal inspector said no go unless you get approval from the city and postmaster general.

A friend of mine tried that in CA and the mailman complained. The postal inspector said no go unless you get approval from the city and postmaster general.
You mean the CEO of the postal service has to personally approve new house numbers?

You mean the CEO of the postal service has to personally approve new house numbers?

I do think that any new addresses (spin off from existing residence) does need notification to the local Postmaster. I'd expect most are reasonable. But the example is CA, so what can you expect . . .

Back
Top Bottom