• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

NY Senate passes 'landmark' gun control laws

This one time, I was on the internet and I read something stupid. So I figured I'd quote it so everyone could see it.

Well, now it's official. As a society, we've now graduated from, "The Pen is Mightier than the Sword" to, "Moderators are Judge, Jury, and Executioner" of Objective, Free Thinking Thought. Hypocrisy 101.

It's really odd to see the tail wagging the dog in such a way. It's quite sad.

Part of me wonders if they even care if the law is constitutional. Answer is of course no. But it's a good distraction from the real problems including fiscal cliff, debt ceiling, etc.

Something tells me the magic number 7 came from our dear friend Diane on the left coast.

I suspect a case will be filed in federal court somewhere in upstate NY before the end of the month.

Could we drop the infighting?

As gun enthusiasts, we all need to become single issue Juggernauts. No good can come from dissecting our own at this time so stop lashing out like scared little children.

At my club meeting last night, none of the older crowd seemed phased by the litany of gun control proposals read from NRA-ILA memos. Only those my age and younger seemed to be incensed. Ask yourself why? I know the answer - It is because they are the generation that has essentially destroyed this country! They either are or raised the 60's generation. They ushered in the massive welfare state and now reap the benefit or very soon will. The very young are the same, a young engineer I work with found the situation troubling but his answer is that guns will just be too expensive for a hobby; He'll find something else.

There is no help coming but that we make ourselves. American exceptionalism is dead - We must be the first responders that breath life back into the system. How, I don't know the exact path but inaction and infighting are definitely counterproductive.

Please make every effort to show up on Saturday.
Call your state legislators and request that they attend
If you are in an area where the incumbent runs unchallenged, run or closely support a challenger.

Well , before we flip out totally , what does Heller vs. DC mean in relation to stripping rifles in common usage from citizens ?

In the Heller decision, United States v. Miller was cited in part to show that the 2nd Amendment only applies to certain types of weapons. There are very different interpretations as to what exactly the Miller decision means for the 2nd Amendment, partly because it is seen as a test case initiated by the federal government in order to further New Deal gun control measures, but more so because it allows for a hybrid thoery to emerge with respect to collective versus individual rights theory.

In Parker v. District of Columbia, the Miller case was interpreted to mean that individuals have the right to posses and use weapons of the kind "in common use at the time", which is the source for the language to which you allude.

It remains an open question exactly what limits the government has regarding the type of firearm one may posses, but the Parker case would provide some solid footing with which to launch a challenge.

Interestingly and somewhat ironically given the current state of affairs, in Miller, the United States was arguing that the 2nd Amendment "protects only the ownership of military-type weapons appropriate for use in an organized militia" since they were tying to prosecute Miller for possession of a sawed off shotgun, which was prohibited under the NFA of 1934.

In other words, if the sawed off shotgun was in use by the military at the time, it would have been protected, it follows logically then that individuals would have a right to own any weapon which was also in use by the military, in addition to those that weren't, but which were legally permissible under the NFA.

...FFS, IBTL. It's fairly obvious that the thread has now gone FR, and the troll has managed to completely derail the thread. Congratulations, Greschner, your inability to just accept that someone requested to have their account killed (both directly and indirectly) has completely and irrevocably destroyed this thread.

Congratulations, you suck.

And... that's what they're paid for.

Secession is similar. A state can only secede with permission of the federal government. Translation: states cannot secede.

But states can partition and remain in the Union. Maine split from Mass in 1820.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._state_partition_proposals

In the early 1980s, when Governor Mario Cuomo (his dad) proposed the creation of a second Temporary Commission to Study the Future of the Adirondacks, several towns in northern Warren County passed resolutions declaring their intention to leave New York for Vermont, since the first Temporary Commission had led to the creation of the Adirondack Park Agency, whose heavy hand in enforcing its restrictive zoning code had been widely resented. After Cuomo backed off, the proposals died.
In the 1990s, former State Senator and U.S. Congressman Randy Kuhl, from rural upstate Hammondsport, advocated splitting the state into "New York" and "West New York" and introduced several bills to that effect during his time in the state senate.[45] State senators Joseph Robach, Dale Volker, and Michael Ranzenhofer, all Republicans from Western New York, proposed a nonbinding referendum to gauge support for dividing the state in November 2009.[46] Fred Smerlas (didn't he play for BC?), in discussing a potential platform for a Congressional run from Western New York, stated that he would make the separation of New York City and upstate a top priority: "My first act if I ever got elected would be to take a big saw and cut New York City off."[47] Both factions of the Tea Party movement in the Buffalo region support some form of separation.

Last edited:
In the Heller decision, United States v. Miller was cited in part to show that the 2nd Amendment only applies to certain types of weapons. There are very different interpretations as to what exactly the Miller decision means for the 2nd Amendment, partly because it is seen as a test case initiated by the federal government in order to further New Deal gun control measures, but more so because it allows for a hybrid thoery to emerge with respect to collective versus individual rights theory.

In Parker v. District of Columbia, the Miller case was interpreted to mean that individuals have the right to posses and use weapons of the kind "in common use at the time", which is the source for the language to which you allude.

It remains an open question exactly what limits the government has regarding the type of firearm one may posses, but the Parker case would provide some solid footing with which to launch a challenge.

Interestingly and somewhat ironically given the current state of affairs, in Miller, the United States was arguing that the 2nd Amendment "protects only the ownership of military-type weapons appropriate for use in an organized militia" since they were tying to prosecute Miller for possession of a sawed off shotgun, which was prohibited under the NFA of 1934.

In other words, if the sawed off shotgun was in use by the military at the time, it would have been protected, it follows logically then that individuals would have a right to own any weapon which was also in use by the military, in addition to those that weren't, but which were legally permissible under the NFA.

It will also be interesting to see what standard (strict scrutiny, intermediate scrutiny or rational basis) that SCOTUS will apply relative to this NY law.

Hopefully strict scrutiny.

- - - Updated - - -

But states can partition and remain in the Union. Maine split from Mass in 1820.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._state_partition_proposals

Yes, I suspect that the rules vary from state to state.

You should be spending your time thinking about how you are going to fight this BS than fighting others on here because your buddy got butt hurt.

I agree. But I'm not going to let peoples opinions, who have validity, regardless of how there delivered, get run over by the machine.

It would. Upstate NY is beautiful. And it's about time those citizens stopped being pushed around by the criminals in NYC.

I have spent time in the Adirondacks and Lake Placid and it's a shame to think that God's country is being spit on like this.

Dare I say you just gave him a ton of ammo? [pot]

Good, can he give some to me? I'm running low. [devil]

I'm so gonna get yelled at for going off topic, huh? I didn't start it! [rofl]

- - - Updated - - -

Could we drop the infighting?

As gun enthusiasts, we all need to become single issue Juggernauts. No good can come from dissecting our own at this time so stop lashing out like scared little children.

At my club meeting last night, none of the older crowd seemed phased by the litany of gun control proposals read from NRA-ILA memos. Only those my age and younger seemed to be incensed. Ask yourself why? I know the answer - It is because they are the generation that has essentially destroyed this country! They either are or raised the 60's generation. They ushered in the massive welfare state and now reap the benefit or very soon will. The very young are the same, a young engineer I work with found the situation troubling but his answer is that guns will just be too expensive for a hobby; He'll find something else.

There is no help coming but that we make ourselves. American exceptionalism is dead - We must be the first responders that breath life back into the system. How, I don't know the exact path but inaction and infighting are definitely counterproductive.

Please make every effort to show up on Saturday.
Call your state legislators and request that they attend
If you are in an area where the incumbent runs unchallenged, run or closely support a challenger.

Also, THIS.

Last edited:
Awesome:

gun control bill includes:

Further restrict assault weapons to define them by a single feature, such as a pistol grip. Current law requires two features.
Make the unsafe storage of assault weapons a misdemeanor.
Mandate a police registry of assault weapons.
Establish a state registry for all private sales, with a background check done through a licensed dealer for a fee, excluding sales to immediate relatives.
Require a therapist who believes a mental health patient made a credible threat to use a gun illegally to report the
threat to a mental health director who would then have to report serious threats to the state Department of Criminal Justice Services. A patient’s gun could be taken from him or her.
Ban the Internet sale of assault weapons.
Require stores that sell ammunition to register with the state, run background checks on buyers of bullets and keep an electronic database of bullet sales.
Restrict ammunition magazines to seven bullets, from the current national standard of 10. Current owners of higher-capacity magazines would have a year to sell them out of state. Someone caught with eight or more bullets in a magazine could face a misdemeanor charge.
Require that stolen guns be reported within 24 hours. Otherwise, the owner would face a possible misdemeanor.
Increase sentences for gun crimes including for taking a gun on school property.
Increase penalties for shooting first responders, called the “Webster provision.” Two firefighters were killed when shot by a person who set a fire in the western New York town of Webster last month. The crime would be punishable by life in prison without parole.

I think I am more curious what Obama has to say tomorrow morning. What happened in NY is already done. I am curious what's about to happen to the rest of us.

"Restrict ammunition magazines to seven bullets, from the current national standard of 10."

NY really has their heads up their asses if they think that 10 rounds is somehow a national standard.

Back
Top Bottom