• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

NY Senate passes 'landmark' gun control laws

I was talking to a friend of mine in NY tonight, (Monday night,) and he said it would never pass the republican Senate. He's protesting at the statehouse on Saturday. He's gonna wish he did more when he gets up in the morning.

IMHO, they kept it just lenient enough that it will go fine, people will register their rifles and take it up the a$$. The biggest issue is the mags, but I think people will just stash a handful away in the same drawer as their illegal fireworks and get the 7 rounders for regular use and that'll be that.

Just found this with a quick google search. It has more details on what the bill says.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/01/14/cuomo-new-york-guns/1833271/

Cuomo's bill — named the Secure Ammunition and Firearms Enforcement Act, or NY SAFE — would enact a number of new measures, including a ban of all magazines that hold more than seven rounds and universal background checks for all gun sales, regardless if they are private, person-to-person sales.

The bill, Cuomo said, also includes a "Webster provision" — a life-without-parole prison sentence for anyone who murders a first responder.

Assault weapons -- defined as any rifle with a "military style" feature, such as a bayonet or a telescoping stock -- that are currently owned would be grandfathered and would have to be registered with the state. Magazines with a capacity of more than 10 rounds and manufactured before 1994, which are currently legal, would have to be turned over to authorities or sold out of state within one year. If a magazine has a capacity between eight and 10, it would have to be retrofitted to only hold seven rounds.

Under Cuomo's plan, the state would have one year to set up an instant background check system for all ammunition purchases. Law enforcement would be alerted to large purchases of ammunition.

My home is in NY. This is sickening

Last edited:
Ban on all magazines over 7 rounds, no more new "assault weapons", all present assault weapons have to be registered and can only be at your home or a "registered range" (no such thing), all ammo has to be bought in person with a background check, all pistol permits have to be renewed.
-arfcom

IMHO, they kept it just lenient enough that it will go fine, people will register their rifles and take it up the a$$. The biggest issue is the mags, but I think people will just stash a handful away in the same drawer as their illegal fireworks and get the 7 rounders for regular use and that'll be that.

I think you are right. There will be people who are raging but the majority will shrug their shoulders and just accept it thinking "it could be worse".

I think it is a steaming pile of horsesh--!!

I think you are right. There will be people who are raging but the majority will shrug their shoulders and just accept it thinking "it could be worse".

I think it is a steaming pile of horsesh--!!

Me on the other hand, am moving. Anyone got any offers?

Do they have a majority republican senate the article makes it seem that way? I'm confused there all going to lose there upcoming elections if so.

Do they have a majority republican senate the article makes it seem that way? I'm confused there all going to lose there upcoming elections if so.

They used to, but this election changed that. Cuomo in response (with an eye on the 2016 prize) decided to make it a coalition of dems and republicans that can work together so the dems wouldn't technically control everything. The republicans were weak and now will probably lose their jobs. Ace work.

Small comfort, to be sure, but a least this is in there, "—Limit the state records law to protect handgun owners from being identified publicly. The provision would allow a handgun permit holder a means to maintain privacy under the Freedom of Information law."

Still a big 'ol pile of horsesh*t though.
Sorry new yorkers.... I'm sure we in MA will be joining you soon enough. :p

Back
Top Bottom