• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

NSSF filed vs AGO!

The folks are Grrr Gear in Orange are great folks as well. They repaired and gave new life to a couple old compound bows that were given to me. I've also had some great one-on-one archery lessons with their pro.

I will definitely be stopping by this weekend.. After all, doesn't is say somewhere in MGL:

"On any given Saturday, and while going about one's lawful business in the Commonwealth, any holder of an LTC or FID, shall not pass any establishment doing the business of sale of firearms and hunting or shooting accessories, but must enter such establishment and give thoughtful consideration to any deals or unique or useful items contained therein"

Maybe I'm mistaken.. but my kids grew up believing that..

Thanks to Grrr Gear for stepping up..

Last edited:
The NRA and GOAL jump aboard in 3...2...1..

Organizational plaintiffs are just window dressing, it's the individuals that count.

giphy.gif

Who do you think was lining up the plaintiffs?

- - - Updated - - -

Yes they are, they have always been huge supporters of GOAL as well.

Support them.

6356026051077906831708521590_Slap%20Bet.gif

I am inclined to believe this is the first of a number of queued up plans to make clear just how serious what the AG has done will be fought.

Who do you think was lining up the plaintiffs?

Some just don't understand or get the FACT that GOAL would have no legal standing in a court case, they tried after the 1998 law and were dismissed by the judge, so it would be a distraction not a help for GOAL to be a plaintiff.

GOAL (and even the NRA in this case) are doing a lot, but they have to do it behind the scenes for it to be effective. I have it on very good authority that GOAL, NRA, NSSF, Comm2A and SAF are all "in conference" as to what steps to take and who shall do what. You have to be trusting here that these folks know what they are doing and support all of them.

And this is coming from someone who has been publicly accused of being a GOAL-hater by a number of people (all BS but people will believe what they like).

Some just don't understand or get the FACT that GOAL would have no legal standing in a court case, they tried after the 1998 law and were dismissed by the judge, so it would be a distraction not a help for GOAL to be a plaintiff.

GOAL (and even the NRA in this case) are doing a lot, but they have to do it behind the scenes for it to be effective. I have it on very good authority that GOAL, NRA, NSSF, Comm2A and SAF are all "in conference" as to what steps to take and who shall do what. You have to be trusting here that these folks know what they are doing and support all of them.

And this is coming from someone who has been publicly accused of being a GOAL-hater by a number of people (all BS but people will believe what they like).
LOL thanks Len, your info is correct and thank you for the renewed support.

In fact, there are some very good reasons that an organizations would not and should not want to be a plaintiff in these cases.

Nine out of ten responses on the Boston Glob story comments section aught to be telling enough... "OMG OH NOES IT'S THE NRA OH NOES" (with a leavening of "you go girl" just for flavor.)
That this is the NSSF, an actual lobbying group, is lost on the sheeple. NRA (and to a lesser extent GOAL) would be a distraction, likely a HUGE distraction.

Great Stuff. We need to support these businesses as well as the NSSF, GOAL, and Comm2A. Tell the NRA to pound sand.

This case will have ripple effects across the country.

Both of whom, along with us, have been involved in NSSF's effort since the beginning and will remain part of it.

LOL thanks Len, your info is correct and thank you for the renewed support.

Mike, I've always supported GOAL, I'm just no longer an "activist" after being told by BOD members that my help wasn't wanted.

When I teach I make a point about the mission of GOAL and Comm2A and the differences between what each can legally do, as most (you can see it here) are confused and expect GOAL to sue for every government "infraction" of 2A.

I just realized that I did make a mistake in what I posted (and you quoted) . . . GOAL sued the AG (Harshbarger) wrt the AG Regs back in 1998, not about the law that was (sadly) passed in the legislature.

People have no idea what goes on behind the curtain. lol

It's kind of an irritating catch-22. If you tell people publicly about the planning going on, you risk exposing your plans to "the other side", but if you don't tell people then they accuse you of doing nothing.

Of course, it's been said multiple times in multiple threads that things have been in the works and that the major players are coordinating, so maybe it's just a matter of people not paying attention.

It's kind of an irritating catch-22. If you tell people publicly about the planning going on, you risk exposing your plans to "the other side", but if you don't tell people then they accuse you of doing nothing.

Of course, it's been said multiple times in multiple threads that things have been in the works and that the major players are coordinating, so maybe it's just a matter of people not paying attention.
Yah, GOAL has been getting lit up almost daily by people on facebook who are "not going to support GOAL until they do something". There's only so much that can be shared publicly with things of this nature.

Nine out of ten responses on the Boston Glob story comments section aught to be telling enough... "OMG OH NOES IT'S THE NRA OH NOES" (with a leavening of "you go girl" just for flavor.)
That this is the NSSF, an actual lobbying group, is lost on the sheeple. NRA (and to a lesser extent GOAL) would be a distraction, likely a HUGE distraction.

Antis are really easy to predict:

NRA = spokesman for "the gun lobby"
NSSF = "the gun lobby"
State gun groups = ???

That's assuming that they actually care. Which, most don't.

Yah, GOAL has been getting lit up almost daily by people on facebook who are "not going to support GOAL until they do something". There's only so much that can be shared publicly with things of this nature.

It might have been nice if the NSSF press release included a mention of the other orgs that coordinated in the planning stages of the lawsuit. Then at least people could see that there was input from multiple groups.

Three ways to get to SCOTUS:

1. State court of record > State court of appeals > State Supreme Court > SCOTUS
2. Federal court of record > Federal court of appeals > SCOTUS
3. Original Jurisdiction

#3 isn't applicable here. Rob commented on what would happen if you did #1. #2 is the best option here.

But SCOTUS will be a 4 - 4 decision with the current make up of the court. Likely worse with an Hillary appointee.

Bob

I just hope they're bringing the right case. Making the right argument and with deep enough pockets.

I'm no legal eagle but I hope the don't **** it up for some other group who was taking time to build a better case. I have no reason to think so, so I'm not shitting on them. BUT shouldn't they have sued in state first? Won't the fed court just tell them to take it to the MA SJC?

Would like to hear GOAL and COMM2As thoughts on it. I'm sure they need some time to read and digest the filing though before opining.

I'm wondering if they went the FED route because this decision has had ramifications for interstate commerce. There are companies that are now not even selling simple parts like handguards and grips to MA.

I'm wondering if they went the FED route because this decision has had ramifications for interstate commerce. There are companies that are now not even selling simple parts like handguards and grips to MA.

Any suit filed in MA state courts over gun issues has an approximately 0% chance of success. MA state courts will countenance any law or regulation that restricts the sale, use, possession, and ownership of guns, because "gunz r bad". I'm not sure what the odds are in federal court but they're better than zero.

Do people think you all are just sitting on your hands or just haven't gotten around to doing anything?

Beyond the obvious list of things done : Statehouse Rally, Lobbying Day, Rolling Rally, Plane Banner, Website, Sign campaign, Overpass Banner plans, etc.

Do they think that it would just require a sternly worded letter from GOAL and it would all be over? I mean if that was the case I am pretty sure Jim Wallace would have busted into the press conference, folded it into an airplane and chucked it at her the day of.

Also, its not like they are a tennent withholding rent until the toilet gets fixed. How the heck is an organization supposed to fight the fricking government when people won't support them until afterwards?

[banghead]

The Globe article is shockingly "good". Aside from the headline, which frames this as "the gun industry" vs. the AG, the description of the lawsuit and what the AG actually did is pretty accurate. It uses the words "redefine" several times. From the article, it's clear that the AG unilaterally made a huge change in the LAW. This in contrast to how the AG has tried to frame the actions: that the law has always said this and that people have been acting illegally this whole time. The article also goes into the legislative intent as outlined by the lawsuit.

One note on the comments: If you have a Globe account, please get positive comments up on articles as soon as they appear. The first 5-8 comments on that article look like they are plants from the AG's social media team. I know it's usually a rule to "never read the comments" - but people do read comments and they might form an opinion about public support for something based on the first 5-10 comments.

Back
Top Bottom