NSSF filed vs AGO!

You don't think this is the only case that will be filed, do you... [wink]

They wrote a solid complaint. One more measure that would've been sweet to have thrown in is the AG's specific mention that cosmetic features were just that. Beyonet lugs, collapsible stocks, and flash hiders were specifically mentioned as cosmetic by the AG, thus further painting herself into a coronary.

As decreed by the AGO in her own opinion piece:

IMG_2992.JPG

http://www.bostonglobe.com/opinion/...weapons-ban/eEvOBklTriWcGznmXqSpYM/story.html

Last edited:
The first impression I have of this filing is that even it this case wins in the end (and I'm talking about a certain appeal), the AG will 'win' in the end. Even if the district court and first circuit accept the argments put forward by the plaintiffs, AG Healey will still claim credit for taking the 'moral highroad' and blame any defeat on the gun lobby and activist judges. She really has nothing to lose here and knows it.

The real meat in a case like this is not the complaint and answer to the complaint. Once those are filed there's usually a hearing to set a schedule for pleading. The parties will file motions for summary judgement or motions to dismiss, either serially or as cross motions and there'll be another hearing on the motions. Whatever decision comes out of that will surely be appealed.

Why would they?
Bravo Company isn't a logical plaintiff as they don't actually sell 'firearms' in Massachusetts. Including them would have been a distraction even if they'd wanted to participate.

Chris at Guns & Gear is a great guy and very smart with components / servicing pistols, rifles all firearms. Is a machinist at heart! Great combo!
I've known Chris and Judith for many, many years. They'e great people like all of these plaintiffs. Get out there and support them. Being a plaintiff is not without risk in this environment, they are putting themselves on the line here and deserve your support.

I see. I thought you'd sue in state first, then appeal to fed court, then appeal to SCOTUS.

Obviously if we can skip the SJC it would be cost effective since we know how they'd rule.

Three ways to get to SCOTUS:

1. State court of record > State court of appeals > State Supreme Court > SCOTUS
2. Federal court of record > Federal court of appeals > SCOTUS
3. Original Jurisdiction

#3 isn't applicable here. Rob commented on what would happen if you did #1. #2 is the best option here.

Sounds like this was carefully thought out and lined up with the right people [thumbsup]
Would I be correct in thinking if what she did is ruled uncontitutional that it would leave the state wide open for a metric ton of lawsuits for damages by dealers?

Three ways to get to SCOTUS:

1. State court of record > State court of appeals > State Supreme Court > SCOTUS
2. Federal court of record > Federal court of appeals > SCOTUS
3. Original Jurisdiction

#3 isn't applicable here. Rob commented on what would happen if you did #1. #2 is the best option here.
Does the recent "bench slap" of the SJC by the SCOTUS leave them more prone to be slapped again if they apply the same faulty logic they used for Caetano (and for every other 2a case)?

Sent from my C6530 using Tapatalk

Sounds like this was carefully thought out and lined up with the right people [thumbsup]
Would I be correct in thinking if what she did is ruled uncontitutional that it would leave the state wide open for a metric ton of lawsuits for damages by dealers?

Goals Facebook post about this says this will be first of many suits filed.

Does the recent "bench slap" of the SJC by the SCOTUS leave them more prone to be slapped again if they apply the same faulty logic they used for Caetano (and for every other 2a case)?

I don't know, Rob or someone can probably give you a better picture.

Connecticut and NY's AWB tightening laws were challenged after they were passed in 2012 and the bans were upheld by the 2nd Court of Appeals (NY, CT and VT). Writ of Cert was not granted, so SCOTUS didn't hear the case. In order for SCOTUS to grant Cert, four out of the current eight judges have to approve.

http://ccdl.us/blog/tag/shew-v-malloy/

Connecticut and NY's AWB tightening laws were challenged after they were passed in 2012 and the bans were upheld by the 2nd Court of Appeals (NY, CT and VT). Writ of Cert was not granted, so SCOTUS didn't hear the case. In order for SCOTUS to grant Cert, four out of the current eight judges have to approve.

Given this was fiat versus legislative action I would like to believe the SCOTUS would take action.

Isn't this case different though because those bans were enacted through legislation and not through a reinterpretation or phony made up gibberish by the AG?

BTW, it would be nice if the Court granted the permanent injunction as asked in the filing (I know, wishful thinking).

Isn't this case different though because those bans were enacted through legislation and not through a reinterpretation or phony made up gibberish by the AG?
Yes, however, it is also a caution that any challenge to the AG's edict must be based on it being a mis-statement of the law, abuse of authority, etc. and not based on "AW bans are facially unconstitutional" as the later is doomed to failure.

I assuming they were named as plaintiffs because they contributed money to the legal battle. I am curious how many other shops ponied up, that would be a nice list to have since I'm in the market for a 1911.

As for Sullivan, I went to High School with his daughter. He is an upstanding citizen and they are a great family. NSSF couldn't have gotten better legal representation IMO. If nothing else it shows we aren't rolling over and showing our bellies. Can't wait to see what follows from GOAL, and Comm2a

I assuming they were named as plaintiffs because they contributed money to the legal battle. I am curious how many other shops ponied up, that would be a nice list to have since I'm in the market for a 1911.
Not necessarily. Individual plaintiffs rarely share the expenses of litigation when there's an organizational plaintiff like NSSF (or SAF, NRA, Comm2A, etc.) leading the way. The named plaintiffs contributed their names and their 'harm'. That's more than enough and in this environment they're betting their businesses as well.

Not necessarily. Individual plaintiffs rarely share the expenses of litigation when there's an organizational plaintiff like NSSF (or SAF, NRA, Comm2A, etc.) leading the way. The named plaintiffs contributed their names and their 'harm'. That's more than enough and in this environment they're betting their businesses as well.

Good point that I hadn't thought about. Either way I'm thankful.

The problem Comm2A and other orgs has is a plethora of shops that will say "I'm with you, I will follow the case, I want you to win, but there is no way I will expose my shop to retaliation by signing on as a plaintiff".

If I'm correct FFL are may issue. These guy need support. They now have bulls eyes on their back
They are "shall issue" but the ATF examiner must determine the shop is in compliance with state law.

Perhaps you were thinking of MA state dealer's licenses.

On a related note, if your club isn't on this list then they're not a member of NSSF:

• Agawam Revolver Club, Southwick MA 01077 * *
  • American Firearms School, North Attleboro MA 02763 * *
  • Boston Shooting Club, Ipswich MA 01938 * *
  • Danvers Fish and Game Club, Inc, Middleton MA 01949 * *
  • Hamilton Rod & Gun Club, Inc., Sturbridge MA 01566 * *
  • Lowell Sportsmen's Club, Inc., North Chelmsford MA 01863 * *
  • Mass Firearms School, Holliston MA 01746 * *
  • Minute Man Sportsman's Club, Inc., Burlington MA 01803 * *
  • Mystic Valley Gun Club, Malden MA 02148 * *
  • Nantucket Hunting Association, Inc., Nantucket MA 02554 * *
  • New England Airgun Inc, Hudson MA 01749 * *
  • Nipmuc Rod and Gun Club, Upton MA 01568 * *
  • Old Colony Sportsmens Association, Inc., Pembroke MA 02359 * *
  • Quaboag Sportsmen's Club, Inc., Warren MA 01083 * *
  • Scituate Rod & Gun Club, Inc., North Scituate MA 02060 * *
  • Taunton Rifle & Pistol Club, Inc., Taunton MA 02780 * *
  • Tyngsboro Sportsmen's Club, Tyngsboro MA 01879 * *
  • Wayland Rod & Gun Club Inc., Wayland MA 01778 * *
  • Weston Shooters Club, Weston MA 02493 * *
  • Woburn Sportsmen's Association, Inc., Bedford MA 01730 * *

EVERY club in MA should be on that list.

. In order for SCOTUS to grant Cert, four out of the current eight judges have to approve.

anyone starting to see HOW IMPORTANT who picks the next SCOTUS judge just became?

NES skinflints, get out your wallets.

I will be in Pullman tomorrow, because they're the closest one, but I'll be in all 4 by EOM.

Great Stuff. We need to support these businesses as well as the NSSF, GOAL, and Comm2A. Tell the NRA to pound sand.

This case will have ripple effects across the country.

Back
Top Bottom