NSSF filed vs AGO!

So, I read the whole .pdf- I'm not sure I count this as a victory, there are some clear and important places where the court is siding with the AG.

For instance, the court finds the difference of .22 and .223 to be more or less a joke as we should be expected to know what the order talks about, but does not give a nod to the mathematical principle of rounding or that your last digit is more or less inaccurate. .22 and .223 obviously have .003" difference in length- that's just about the thickness of a sheet of paper, and not insignificant when you consider tolerance.

I'm worried that parts of the enforcement notice will get shot down, but basically the interpretation of the law will be found acceptable.

So, I read the whole .pdf- I'm not sure I count this as a victory, there are some clear and important places where the court is siding with the AG.
Insofar as the case gets to keep going, it's a victory. Nobody should think it's more than that, though.

For instance, the court finds the difference of .22 and .223 to be more or less a joke as we should be expected to know what the order talks about, but does not give a nod to the mathematical principle of rounding or that your last digit is more or less inaccurate. .22 and .223 obviously have .003" difference in length- that's just about the thickness of a sheet of paper, and not insignificant when you consider tolerance.

I'm worried that parts of the enforcement notice will get shot down, but basically the interpretation of the law will be found acceptable.
I think you should review how specs work. First, the caliber is diameter, not length. Second, the allowable tolerance is roughly a tenth of what you're describing. While your point stands that 223 REM is a 22 caliber round, the rest of your comment tends to weaken the argument.

she knows he reinterpretation will most Lilly be overturned. That is why law makers are meeting to change the law and impose a real ban leaving nothing open to interpretation. My guess I they will pass a law before the court date and she won't even show up.

All I can hope for is that the discovery phase is devastating to the AG, the political cabal behind all of this, and maybe some members of the legislature/governor's office. If criminal behavior is uncovered, I hope the feds have a field day.

All I can hope for is that the discovery phase is devastating to the AG, the political cabal behind all of this, and maybe some members of the legislature/governor's office. If criminal behavior is uncovered, I hope the feds have a field day.

Such as?

Maybe she knew her actions were extra-legal and that it would cause financial harm to firearms retailers, but did it anyway because it would take years to get through the courts. That she had been communicating with Hillary's campaign and introduced this right before travelling to speak at the convention as political fodder? That this was her way into a better job when Hillary won the election?

It shows the judge’s unfamiliarity of terms related to caliber, and actual bullet diameter. As other posters have noted, the actual bullet diameter of the .223 Rem and 22 LR are very close, around 0.224” plus or minus some tolerances. Both are also routinely included in the .22 caliber family. Any knowledgeable person would interpret an exemption for .22 caliber as exempting anything nominally .22. That’s why dimples went through the effort of revising her edict.

I'm pretty sure the parties involved assumed none of this would ever come to light or become a matter of public record. I assume there were promises of positions, money, etc. in a manner which would run afoul of bribery statutes and potential discussion of evading public records laws.

Watch the AG try to pull, "the emails and the backups were deleted in accordance with MA IT standards for not saving info older than XXX days". She will continue to stall and drag out proceedings as long as possible while hiding any information possible.

I'm pretty sure the parties involved assumed none of this would ever come to light or become a matter of public record. I assume there were promises of positions, money, etc. in a manner which would run afoul of bribery statutes and potential discussion of evading public records laws.

Watch the AG try to pull, "the emails and the backups were deleted in accordance with MA IT standards for not saving info older than XXX days". She will continue to stall and drag out proceedings as long as possible while hiding any information possible.

Aren't they supposed to keep such materials indefinitely?

This isn't the end of it by any measure, but it does undercut the AG's position. The court did not rule that the enforcement notice was unconstitutionally vague, it just ruled that the AGO didn't bring enough to the table to have the suit dismissed. In other words, the complaint could have some merit. We could very well lose at this level, but the judge is at least dotting the I's and crossing the T's such that there's a proper record if this goes to appeals.

But in a sense, the AG has already won even if the case is ultimately lost. The enforcement notice was NOT designed to withstand legal challenges. The two objectives of the notice were to burnish Healey's progressive credentials in the run up to the 2016 Democratic Convention and to create fear and intimidation among the state's FFLs. She accomplished both of those things. And even if she ultimately loses, the air of fear will remain.

A word to the wise: If the enforcement order is shut down, members of the politburo will consider it a problem to be solved. Get thee to your friendly FFL (you know, the one you cultivated a relationship with instead of chasing the last $5 in price on a gun) and stock up on quality lowers. You will not regret it.

A word to the wise: If the enforcement order is shut down, members of the politburo will consider it a problem to be solved. Get thee to your friendly FFL (you know, the one you cultivated a relationship with instead of chasing the last $5 in price on a gun) and stock up on quality lowers. You will not regret it.

Definitely, if the order gets shut down lowers are going to be sold by the case. I smell a group buy, lowers by the case only. [laugh] OK back to reality.

Definitely, if the order gets shut down lowers are going to be sold by the case. I smell a group buy, lowers by the case only. [laugh] OK back to reality.
Since this would be a state level event, the industry probably could provide MA with a reasonable emergency supply.

Aren't they supposed to keep such materials indefinitely?

No there is a regulation defining document retention policies. However when there is a court action, all docs related should be held until all court action is complete. But who's going to prosecute her if some docs were on a private computer with a "failed" HDD or lost?

This isn't the end of it by any measure, but it does undercut the AG's position. The court did not rule that the enforcement notice was unconstitutionally vague, it just ruled that the AGO didn't bring enough to the table to have the suit dismissed. In other words, the complaint could have some merit. We could very well lose at this level, but the judge is at least dotting the I's and crossing the T's such that there's a proper record if this goes to appeals.

But in a sense, the AG has already won even if the case is ultimately lost. The enforcement notice was NOT designed to withstand legal challenges. The two objectives of the notice were to burnish Healey's progressive credentials in the run up to the 2016 Democratic Convention and to create fear and intimidation among the state's FFLs. She accomplished both of those things. And even if she ultimately loses, the air of fear will remain.

Yup, she's won and will continue to win. Even if overturned many years from now, many suppliers will still refuse to ship anything to MA even to FFLs.

Back
Top Bottom