1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

NRA Life Membership expiring?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by slap shot, Jun 25, 2019.

1. DispositionMatrix

DispositionMatrix NES Member

My guess is there are plenty of groups working extremely hard at electronically obtaining the organization's membership info in the hope of exposing/shaming members, getting them fired, and making them unemployable.

2. bfm

bfm NES Member

Fixxah likes this.
  3. Whiskeywon

Whiskeywon NES Member

Given how old it is I would say it's unlike he still weighs 155 pounds. No disrespect intended of course. ha

4. RumRunner

RumRunner NES Member

5. DecOFlaherty

DecOFlaherty NES Member

For another $1000 you can become an afterlife member.

mibro, mass, EzGoingKev and 1 other person like this.
  6. swatgig

swatgig NES Member

Chained together with 999 of my associates at the
    I was.
    I'm not double that. I've added about three pounds a year since that time. (It doesn't sound so bad that way - it was 40 years ago)

AHM likes this.
  7. AHM

AHM NES Member

...you're pointing due South.
    [​IMG]

8. MisterHappy

MisterHappy NES Member

On the 16 yard line, shootin' for the Lewis!
    Years ago, my dad (Life member since before WWII) stopped getting the Rifleman.

We were planning a trip to DC, that summer.

Dad and I walked into the NRA HQ, and he said to the receptionist, "Do I look dead?"

They figured it out [laugh]

9. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA NES Member

For you - it's a guaranteed loser. At best you'll get a whole life policy that won't give you a decent rate of return. At worst, you get term and, as far as you are concerned, you are tossing $ out the window on something that'll never pay in your lifetime. ;)

Jason Flare likes this.
  10. appraiser

appraiser NES Member

Me thinks the NRA is going to expire ... reminds me of people that bought lifetime memberships at the local video store

If the NRA goes bankrupt, do the memberships become worthless?

11. dustoff22

dustoff22 NES Member

Carry the same worthless piece of paper in my wallet as a reminder that nothing is really as it seems.

12. dustoff22

dustoff22 NES Member

Rec'd a letter from the NRA yesterday telling me that my membership which I renewed in March 2019 will expire in August 2019. At my age I take it year by year but maybe this year (or the next couple months) will be my last as a member of the NRA.

13. RumRunner

RumRunner NES Member

Can someone post a copy of the letter or email stating their life membership is expiring? My wife got the same letter others have mentioned about it stating the offer to upgrade is expiring, but have seen nothing about my life membership expiring.

14. slap shot

slap shot NES Member

upload_2019-6-27_13-8-22.png

15. RumRunner

RumRunner NES Member

Looks to me like a form letter, nothing in it states that a life membership is expiring. Doesn't even say the actual expiration date. Bet the email marketing is outsourced and they get paid by the number of emails they send. I will look out for one like this, I still get stuff my snail mail from them, so far the wife got the offer expiring, but I haven't receive'd anything lately.

16. slap shot

slap shot NES Member

It does, it had my personal info above with my membership number and ticking clock counting down to expiration lol. I omitted the personal info.

17. smokey-seven

smokey-seven NES Member

I think the NRA did a blanket mailing to all members requesting a renewal. Mine expires in Feb, got the renewal notice this week.

18. mibro

mibro NES Member

My sister's husband died of an aneurysm at age 30. She was pregnant with their first child. He had no life insurance.

Term life is not about you.

whacko likes this.
  19. whacko

whacko NES Member

My wife and son will be very comfortable when I die. The monthly payment is my comfort.

mibro likes this.
  20. whacko

whacko NES Member

I just mailed my envelope back with a hand written note. "I'll renew when Wayne is gone". Is all the note says

smokey-seven and Cap'n Mike like this.
  21. Waher

Waher NES Member

The Life Membership money goes into a separate trust fund that the NRA only gets the dividends from. I presume if bankrupt or subject to fine, that fund would be paying out those dividends to settle the debt/fine. I'm not so sure the fund principal itself could be liquidated or seized.

22. MGnoob

MGnoob NES Life Member NES Member

This is nothing new... as a benefactor member.... which is like 10X lifetime and having made countless other donations.... it pisses me off when I’m on the do not mail list.... seems like every so often you have to call and complain every so often.

23. Nick Fury

Nick Fury

I love how people think just because you dump buckets of cash in someones lap they care will what you say...

24. Mike Stanton

Mike Stanton

Aw jeez.

Cut them some slack.

I subscribe to several magazines, and they all pull the same shit "Your subscription will soon end - renew now !"

I check and I'm paid up until 2022.

Not rant-worthy.

fitzknny likes this.
  25. meh

meh NES Member

That's true, but there's a more pleasant spin. Life insurance is a bet. You're betting you'll die (and thinking about your beneficiaries' well-being), and the insurance company is betting you'll live. Kind of nice to have somebody betting that you'll live.

Everything is essentially annual renewable term (ART) with or without some investment device to engineer fixed premiums (ART premiums generally increase as you age) with or without building up cash value. There is no free lunch--either they cover their expenses with fees (which they will always attach) and/or they will give you a smaller rate of return than they can get for themselves. Each premium payment breaks down to cost of insurance, management fees, and investment principle (if any). If you are financially disciplined, the approach that puts the most money into your hands or the hands of your beneficiaries is to buy ART but treat it as if it were whole life. If you were, say, to get a monthly premium quote for a whole life policy but buy ART instead, you could set aside the whole life premium amount each month, pay the ART premium with part of it, and invest the rest in an index fund at a discount brokerage. Towards the end you'll have to cash out some of the investment to make the larger ART premium payments, but you'll probably have a lot more money in your investment fund than if you actually had bought that whole life policy.

26. Rob Boudrie

Rob Boudrie NES Member

If your kid is applying for income redistribution based financial aid, the cash value of life insurance is one asset that does not count as part of your spendable assets when making the calculation.

meh and AHM like this.
  27. meh

meh NES Member

Taxes also complicate the comparison. If you cash out at some point, your basis includes all of your premiums, including the cost of insurance. A separate investment account will see dividends taxed annually. Dividends inside the life insurance policy are tax deferred.

28. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA NES Member

5-year renewal for wife and daughter a month or so ago. Got the letter mid-week. Got the new membership cards today. Someone screwed up (or not) and everyone got one.

I didn’t get one. Life member.

29. AHM

AHM NES Member

(Reprints are probably available on demand.
    Heck, if an org's staffers don't jump
    to throw one in a first-class envelope,
    it means the HQ is drowning in drama).

No joining/renewal premiums is another price one may pay
    for life memberships in some orgs.
    If it's just a trinket, flashing a lifer card at a membership table ought to work.
    (But how many key fobs can one use?)