• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Not quite Milsurp, but

Thx, the Rear base, Ap and knobs are used from a Garand... The rear sight cover is NOS out of wrap (ebay)

It was .308 Garand that got the new aperture fitted. Built a NM sight for that, so all the extra parts went on the Bula. Aperture on my Bula is just a hair loose without the cover and not too bad with the cover installed. If it moves much, it will open up your groups a bit, as you know...

It was .308 Garand that got the new aperture fitted. Built a NM sight for that, so all the extra parts went on the Bula. Aperture on my Bula is just a hair loose without the cover and not too bad with the cover installed. If it moves much, it will open up your groups a bit, as you know...
I have a M1 that the rear aperture will pop side to side with each click....easily seen when adjusting it. I don't shoot it much and is now the "cast" slinger so I will address that issue when I find a good cast load

Oh great, now I'll get my ass kicked by someone with an almost identical rifle. Wait, that's pretty much every JCG match... [rofl]

Maybe I can get a head start in slow fire with those PPU cases you donated.

Do you have to de-crimp the LC's?

I might have found some LC National Match ammo, but it's .30-06. Hope there's more than one box.

Don't pay to much for it. It's not worth it. Better off with the creedmoor if the NM is $1 or more.

One of the nicer senior guys at my club may have some. Just as likely that he'll ask too little rather than too much.

Hey DW, you punching holes with the Bula yet?

Here's my first 5 shots for a 20 round postal match on the M14 forum:

IMG_1057.jpg

My usual Lapua brass & 40 grains Varget, but this time used some 155 TMK's I bought on sale a few months ago. Sadly, I later F-ed up 2 shots that strayed outside the 10-ring. I already have a 199-9X which is currently 2nd place, so a 198 is-a no F-ing good.

Last edited:
Interesting write up

MkbkKtK.jpg

I hit the range last Thursday after receiving my Nosler 168 CC blems earlier in the week. Charged 'em with 41.0 of 4895 and re-zero'd my rifle in slow prone, 100 yards, SR-1.

Once I was happy with slow prone I moved onto a rapid fire prone:.....

https://i.imgur.com/oGwwWgR.jpg

Just need to practice some off hand with the M14 before the Nov MM match.

I'll have to look into the M14 Postal Match too, thx.

Nice rapid fire string.

Goofed on the Varget weight. It's actually 41.0 gr. These are very nice rifles and were a hell of a deal. Glad someone posted about that 4th of July sale. [thumbsup]

I'm bringing the Bula and the Winchester + vintage LC NM ammo to the next match. The .308 M1 will have to wait for the next Modern Military.

Hey DW, you punching holes with the Bula yet?

Here's my first 5 shots for a 20 round postal match on the M14 forum:

View attachment 210447

My usual Lapua brass & 40 grains Varget, but this time used some 155 TMK's I bought on sale a few months ago. Sadly, I later F-ed up 2 shots that strayed outside the 10-ring. I already have a 199-9X which is currently 2nd place, so a 198 is-a no F-ing good.

im having issues with mine as well. Looks like you cant run the free software like before. It now expires.
I tried to renew the trial period but no luck.

Also whats the measurement on the red dot

Last edited:
A few more photos of the finished rifles would be nice.

Yeah, I just left a couple in post #131. Need to take a few more and will post.

Mac, the center red is 1.45" across. I get about a 1.002" group if I use the shots at ~10:30 and 5:00.

Last edited:
took me for ever to figure out how to get the picture to my phone and then back to the computer! This is the Range Buddy App. The free vesion sucks as its loaded with adds. We need to start using Mean Radius more[wink]

BSzki7Lh.jpg

Nice rapid fire string.

Goofed on the Varget weight. It's actually 41.0 gr. These are very nice rifles and were a hell of a deal. Glad someone posted about that 4th of July sale. [thumbsup]

I'm bringing the Bula and the Winchester + vintage LC NM ammo to the next match. The .308 M1 will have to wait for the next Modern Military.

these m1a gonna make weight? hmmm. You guys are no fun....im coming into the MM match with my 308 build with 10 rounds down the pipe. For ammo I might just wing it and load what ever powder i have the least of thats good for 308?

WOW, Derek...that just made my dick move a little. What a beauty! I'm building my 'CMP legal' M14 out of all USGI parts, including barrel and bolt...so I doubt it'll look anywhere near as nice as yours and Mountains. Some cold night this winter i'll kill a case of Yeungling and wake up the next day with a new M14 on a Fulton Receiver :D

I finally got around to (hopefully) accurizing my first Bula XM21 build last night when I had a little time because I pissed off the girlfriend. Sure...you can be angry as you want sugar-tits...i'll be in the basement :D

I took her all apart (the rifle...not my girlfriend) and removed the op rod guide...knurled the barrel and reinstalled and somehow mucked up the roll pin once it was already in 80% of the way, but it's good enough to suit the purpose until i order a new one and install. I also ALIGNED the gas system which I had NO idea was an actual thing when I built the rifle, so I'm figuring if ANYTHING helps my accuracy, than having the piston aligned with the op rod might...I kinda figure there was probably some inevitable binding in there with the piston hitting a few millimeters off center.

I also peened the barrel at the end to tighten up the gas cylinder and put one single VERY thin shim in between my unitized gas cylinder barrel band and the raised 'lip' on the end of the barrel to get my gas lock to 'time' a little better. Before doing this, it was timing around 8 or 9, so I'd have to back off the gas lock to put the plug in. Now it snugs up at about 5:30 and just a lite squeeze with my fingers and she's right at 6...definitely not too tight though.

The proof will be in the pudding when I get some range time in this week hopefully and make up for this rifles sub-par performance when I first built it last year. To refresh your memories, I was getting anywhere between 2-5"...mostly around 3" groups with a flier or two with each load. I don't hope to get much better than 2-3" but just want some consistancy so I don't waste more time working up loads for a ham & egged rifle.

To prove to myself that it's no longer a ham & egg operation I'm running here at 'shake-weight gunsmithing', I even grease painted the roll marks and the heel stamp! That ALONE ought to increase the accuracy by 100%.

Attachments

• IMG_0132.jpg
    IMG_0132.jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0133.jpg
    IMG_0133.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0134.jpg
    IMG_0134.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0135.jpg
    IMG_0135.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0136.jpg
    IMG_0136.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0138.jpg
    IMG_0138.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0139.jpg
    IMG_0139.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 15
Op rod guide out of place and/or loose would have been a problem- your fix should help. Keep an eye on it and if it doesn't stay put you can clean it w/ acetone and use a thin film of JB Weld to keep it in place. The shim job should help as well. After these fixes I'd be surprised if you don't see an improvement in accuracy.

Hey, that grease paint highlighting job looks great. Is that pink that I see in those pics? Did your girlfriend offer to help and use pink to get even with you? [laugh]

it's orange...but i guess it might as well be pink.

my girlfriend is so 'anti-pink' i have to take anything pink out of anything before I give it to her or she gets all bent out of shape. we got some soda stream bottles a few months ago...blue, green and pink...guess who got the pink one.

i TRIED the JB weld, but it cured before I could even get the damn thing seated! the roll crimped pipe i used to get the op rod guide on it kinda wore the finish of a spot on my barrel too. oh well...good thing i'm not in it for the looks :D

I think you're right though...I can't see how it WOULDN'T help. I kinda wish i had the time to do them one at a time and test each individual tweak, but i'm lucky if i get to the range once a month these days. friggen crazy that I have to look at all you ugly bastards next sunday already...as long as it's felt, the winter kinda flew by for me this year.

I wouldn't worry about testing one tweak at a time- just get it done. For future reference, I have a pipe I 'made' that didn't mar the barrel finish- welcome to try it. These Bula barrels are very accurate. If you are not getting sub 2", something's amiss. I'd say with optic and your XM21's stock, you should be closer to 1".

Dakar, I've found the best way to close up your groupings with the M14 and nearly any shoulder fired weapon is to get a lot closer to the target. :cool:

Finally got my McMillan stock for my XM25 build. :)

Back
Top Bottom