• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Not quite Milsurp, but

LOL, Mac has been looking for a cheap parts kit for a long time. Their site shows only 2 in stock at the moment.

I'm just waiting for Dakar's sale once he starts sweeping up the stockpile of XM21 parts in his basement. :D

LOL, Mac has been looking for a cheap parts kit for a long time. Their site shows only 2 in stock at the moment.

I'm just waiting for Dakar's sale once he starts sweeping up the stockpile of XM21 parts in his basement. :D

It'll never happen. I sneak into his basement at night while he's transfixed on TonyBen videos and pick up the rogue parts. I give TonyBen 10% for running interference.

It'll never happen. I sneak into his basement at night while he's transfixed on TonyBen videos and pick up the rogue parts. I give TonyBen 10% for running interference.
I KNEW SOMEONES BEEN F'n WITH ME!

its coming along rather quickly....just need a good complete bolt. As long as the parts are good in the dupage kit?

As I've been shooting my Pussy Gun all season, all this talk of the M14 made me miss shooting a real rifle. I was working at home today, so I cut out to the range with the Bula M14. Last time I shot it this rifle was Butner back in April.

I shot a practice "A" course:
100-5 slow prone
98-3 rapid prone
92-2 standing
290-10 total

Now if I could only re-produce this in a match!

Then I did a rapid sitting for fun, 97-3

These M14s really just shoot themselves, though.

They really do seem to shoot themselves. My best awfulhand scores have either been with the Bula M14 or the '03. Couple 90's, maybe a 92-2 IIRC...

Kinda wish I had not built a 6.5CM AR, as I'd build a M14 with a heavy barrel 6.5CM and put it in a Sage EBR stock or maybe build a clone of Dakar's 'Crazy Whore'.

It's about time that Mac got moving on his. Maybe we all bring ours to the next MM match?

They really do seem to shoot themselves. My best awfulhand scores have either been with the Bula M14 or the '03. Couple 90's, maybe a 92-2 IIRC...

Kinda wish I had not built a 6.5CM AR, as I'd build a M14 with a heavy barrel 6.5CM and put it in a Sage EBR stock or maybe build a clone of Dakar's 'Crazy Whore'.

It's about time that Mac got moving on his. Maybe we all bring ours to the next MM match?
I have no idea what came over me, stupid rifle! I could have bought 4 garands! Still needs completion. Need a bolt and decide on barrel plus not sure if I will tool up and do the build or have Franco put it together. Plus any parts that might suck in the kit. I should have just bought a rifle all ready done. Plenty of them out there but I’m one of those types that likes to build stuff.
On the end it won’t be a NM in any way just another option to take to cmp games.
If I can sell a few more rifles and pistols I don’t use and a few more people sign up on the CC link to get my little kick back I might get the 308 M1 all tuned up also with a new stock

Last edited:
Back to the Dupage parts kits; there's a thread on CMP forum:

I had a nice chat with Dupage when I ordered mine. These are the same kits they have been selling wholesale for a number of years to re-sellers and manufacturers. Said he purchased these years ago from thew US Gov't. It started out as an effort to clear some out to make room. They admitted they were surprised, the $400 is what they sell them for wholesale and after reparkerizing they are generally sold for $600 and up. I was told that any kits left after Friday will revert to a new higher price.

Just got off the phone with Dupage.Said they have no more kits right now.Will have more in a couple of weeks and the new price will be $500.00( still a good price)The man's exact words.

Back to the Dupage parts kits; there's a thread on CMP forum:

I had a nice chat with Dupage when I ordered mine. These are the same kits they have been selling wholesale for a number of years to re-sellers and manufacturers. Said he purchased these years ago from thew US Gov't. It started out as an effort to clear some out to make room. They admitted they were surprised, the $400 is what they sell them for wholesale and after reparkerizing they are generally sold for $600 and up. I was told that any kits left after Friday will revert to a new higher price.

Just got off the phone with Dupage.Said they have no more kits right now.Will have more in a couple of weeks and the new price will be $500.00( still a good price)The man's exact words.
in hind sight i should have bought 2 kits for extra parts.
Poking around at stocks. Found Fajen NM stock pretty cheap. Im sure they need to be fitted and im unsure if these are pre inletted for bedding?

Poking around at stocks. Found Fajen NM stock pretty cheap. Im sure they need to be fitted and im unsure if these are pre inletted for bedding?

Our kits have stocks, hope they aren't firewood though. There's always Boyds. I'm actually happy with how mine turned out (after a ton of work).

Lots of cool new stuff- National Match, ultra-heavy barrel version, .450 Bushmaster, many others. Tempting to start a chassis-based build but what I have is such a good shooter I really don't need something different. But do I want...

Was going to take my 'as-issued' Bula to a Modern Military CMP match in CT today but blew it off due to weather. Not interested in making the drive then have it cancel.

Since I know how well this rifle can shoot, I may go to the range today and test some house brand 155 Nosler CC's that I recently bought. Could do a head to head vs. 155 SMK Palma projectiles if I load a few of those.

Last edited:
Lots of cool new stuff- National Match, ultra-heavy barrel version, .450 Bushmaster, many others. Tempting to start a chassis-based build but what I have is such a good shooter I really don't need something different. But do I want...

Was going to take my 'as-issued' Bula to a Modern Military CMP match in CT today but blew it off due to weather. Not interested in making the drive then have it cancel.

Since I know how well this rifle can shoot, I may go to the range today and test some house brand 155 Nosler CC's that I recently bought. Could do a head to head vs. 155 SMK Palma projectiles if I load a few of those.
Did you use a medium weight barrel on yours? That’s where I’m at now. Also not sure if there’s some rules for the M1a platform for modern military other than weight. Not that I will make it to a match that it will matter anytime soon

Did you use a medium weight barrel on yours? That’s where I’m at now. Also not sure if there’s some rules for the M1a platform for modern military other than weight. Not that I will make it to a match that it will matter anytime soon

Yes, NM which is medium weight. DW has the same, and probably same for Rich as well. It makes weight, but not by a lot. Mine weighs 9.98 lbs vs. 10.0 lbs limit with a cleaning rod kit plus torx tool in the butt. I don't recall putting those in there. Either a case of CRS on my part or the stock came with that stuff already in there.

I'm tempted to build a fun / home defense rifle from this platform. Lighter weight, shorter barrel, dot or holo sight plus back-up irons. As reliable or more so vs. an AK and as good or better accuracy than the AR platform. If I knew how much fun these were I would have built a M1A precision rifle in 6.5CM instead of an AR. Kinda glad I didn't though, as I registered my 6.5CM AR a few days before the Healy BS and today we can still build and register M1A's.

My dad took a lot of pics when he was a Marine pilot in Vietnam, and I have many of those as 35mm slides. His tours (3, I think) were fairly early I need to look to see if there are any pics showing what the guys carried. If I had my choice, it would have been a M14. Most of his pics were of the stuff he flew, guys in camp, locals, landscapes. A few shots of some of the birds coming back looking like Swiss cheese.

Yes, NM which is medium weight. DW has the same, and probably same for Rich as well. It makes weight, but not by a lot. Mine weighs 9.98 lbs vs. 10.0 lbs limit with a cleaning rod kit plus torx tool in the butt. I don't recall putting those in there. Either a case of CRS on my part or the stock came with that stuff already in there.

I'm tempted to build a fun / home defense rifle from this platform. Lighter weight, shorter barrel, dot or holo sight plus back-up irons. As reliable or more so vs. an AK and as good or better accuracy than the AR platform. If I knew how much fun these were I would have built a M1A precision rifle in 6.5CM instead of an AR. Kinda glad I didn't though, as I registered my 6.5CM AR a few days before the Healy BS and today we can still build and register M1A's.

My dad took a lot of pics when he was a Marine pilot in Vietnam, and I have many of those as 35mm slides. His tours (3, I think) were fairly early I need to look to see if there are any pics showing what the guys carried. If I had my choice, it would have been a M14. Most of his pics were of the stuff he flew, guys in camp, locals, landscapes. A few shots of some of the birds coming back looking like Swiss cheese.
depends on who you talk to I guess, my dads buddy said it was a god send when they plunked the m16 and 3x as much ammo in his lap.
He said he had zero issues with his M16. He also says he was a well trained already in the service solider when he went over vs the jam them through training drafties. I want to say he got his m16 1969 or 70 probably after the early problems with the ammo ?
then if you talk to someone like my great uncle he wanted 30-06....."when you hit someone you want them to stay down"

depends on who you talk to I guess, my dads buddy said it was a god send when they plunked the m16 and 3x as much ammo in his lap.
He said he had zero issues with his M16. He also says he was a well trained already in the service solider when he went over vs the jam them through training drafties. I want to say he got his m16 1969 or 70 probably after the early problems with the ammo ?
then if you talk to someone like my great uncle he wanted 30-06....."when you hit someone you want them to stay down"

And that was a big problem for the 5.56 in Mogadishu. 50 kg Vietcong vs. 110 kg Somali. Personally I would not use .223 on anything bigger than a coyote, and probably not on the eastern coyotes as they are much bigger here and NE is heavily forested. These points have been argued ad nauseam and there are merits for all. When it comes to 45 ACP vs. 9mm, that's another one with similar arguments. I personally knew a former DEA agent who nearly died after emptying a mag of 9mm into a 300+ lb perp who stayed up long enough to keep shooting. Secret Service dumped the .38 +P for .357 Sig, not 9mm. While .30-06 is a big round and I sure as hell wouldn't want to be carrying a ton of it, Gramps seemed to do OK carrying it up and down the Philippine mountains. He was muscular and had biceps like baseballs, but he was not a big guy at all.

I think the 7.62 / .308 is a good compromise of power and portability. In the fantasy world of what's better, I'd prefer to train for accuracy under stress rather than spray and pray. What was that shot to kill ratio for the M16 in Vietnam? 50,000:1? 180,000:1? I heard 20,000:1 for WWII? Anyway, all BS on my part- just my own preference.

And that was a big problem for the 5.56 in Mogadishu. 50 kg Vietcong vs. 110 kg Somali. Personally I would not use .223 on anything bigger than a coyote, and probably not on the eastern coyotes as they are much bigger here and NE is heavily forested. These points have been argued ad nauseam and there are merits for all. When it comes to 45 ACP vs. 9mm, that's another one with similar arguments. I personally knew a former DEA agent who nearly died after emptying a mag of 9mm into a 300+ lb perp who stayed up long enough to keep shooting. Secret Service dumped the .38 +P for .357 Sig, not 9mm. While .30-06 is a big round and I sure as hell wouldn't want to be carrying a ton of it, Gramps seemed to do OK carrying it up and down the Philippine mountains. He was muscular and had biceps like baseballs, but he was not a big guy at all.

I think the 7.62 / .308 is a good compromise of power and portability. In the fantasy world of what's better, I'd prefer to train for accuracy under stress rather than spray and pray. What was that shot to kill ratio for the M16 in Vietnam? 50,000:1? 180,000:1? I heard 20,000:1 for WWII? Anyway, all BS on my part- just my own preference.
My great uncle once told me from pearl harbor to VJ Day US ordance Dept. shipped out 50 billion rounds of small arms ammunition for US. My uncle said where he spent 43-45 more soldiers died from exsposer or shelling than small arms fire.
Great uncle also had a lot to say about the men on both sides that did not shoot their guns at others or shot them skyward. Its all a personal preference and dependant on your enviroment. Some hated the carbine. i did not hear to many complaints about the 45 from the vets around me as a kid growing up. Sadly my dad and all his vet friends are long gone.

Affirmative on the pre inletting for bedding and rear lugs/drilled for action bolt. I had one on here that I couldn’t give away about a year ago. From what I read, the dimensions were actually a no go for NM because they were TOO big. Still very nicely fit and finished stocks though for the money they can be had for.

my choices are down to a
FA or LRB bolt....im giving up on a USGI bolt $$$
Barrel will be criterion
either a medium weight stanless in 1/10
or Criterion "saco" medium weight in 1/10 or 1/12

Parts kit arrived. I don't know M14 parts that well but gave everything a quick once over. Parts have honest wear, nothing too bad.

winchester op rod
winchester trigger housing
H&R hammer
H&R rear sight assembly (it was in a seperate plastic bag marked HR)
Unsure about the smaller parts
Stock is unmarked, very light birch with a hairline crack between the sling swivel and front ferrule. Has the stock liner installed.
GI solid handguard with a little wear and tear
Buttplate looks like it was painted black at one point, some still on there, especially under the shoulder thingy that goes up :)
Rest of stock hardware looks good.

Pics :
View: https://imgur.com/a/ByLELpx

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom