• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Not quite Milsurp, but

I'm probably just going to scrounge up 3-400 LC cases and go from there. Maybe sell the PPU stuff, unless Mountain wants it.

I'm probably just going to scrounge up 3-400 LC cases and go from there. Maybe sell the PPU stuff, unless Mountain wants it.

im slowly stocking up on 308 brass for the future 308 M1 garand which will be cut as tight as i can muster. IF i ever get the cash to finish it

Is the PPU brass you want to off-load the .308 brass? I'm already collecting PPU .308 brass as my Garand likes their .308 match ammo. Yes, I'd take it and thanks! If I get ahold of any LC once fired, I'll hang on to it for you. (Unless it's marked 'NM' [grin], I might keep that...)

So I went to the post office and talked to the postmaster about my phantom delivery. She called the carrier via cell, went to the back to talk to him, then returned to tell me, "He's going to try to remember what happened, then call me back & I'll call you back...". Crickets since then. I have to wait 7 days to file the claim and will probably have to fight them because they scanned it delivered. She started telling me he was here most consistent carrier since he started 1-1/2 years ago, which was unfortunate to say. I responded that this was the 2nd time in less than a year that I had a delivery scanned as delivered when it wasn't, though the last time it miraculously showed up the next day after I complained. Told her I'm tired of boxes too big for the mailbox being crammed in there so tightly that I broke the mounting brackets trying to yank them out. Also bitched that last winter my box was skipped because the plow didn't clear closer than 2' from the post. The box sticks out about 18" from the post, so it's not exactly a strain to reach the box unless perhaps the carrier can't get enough leverage to cram a big package into the box.

Last edited:
I'll bring the PPU 308 and 762 Brass to OCSA

My M14 is finally taking shape.

I had to relieve a small amount of wood on the top of the stock between the front of the heel and the stock liner screws. This is so the receiver heel will fit tight against the stock. If you hold the rifle up to the light, you'll now see a CH of light where I relieved. I did not need to relieve the little notch for the firing pin. The stock has a good amount of lockup at the TG and good draw at the stock ferrule.

Just need to fit the hand guard, oil the stock and install the rest of the metal.

http://i.imgur.com/bfjjG58.jpg

Last edited:
That M14 looks nice as a blonde!

Parts mysteriously showed on my front porch later this afternoon. Box has been opened, but nothing's missing. Maybe a mis-delivery to a neighbor. Not happy with the Post Office, but I can finish the rifle in a couple minutes.

I had some clearance under the heel, but lock-up was so tight that I'm going to leave it alone for a while and see how the action settles in after shooting. If accuracy is shit, that's one of the things I'll address but not on the top of the list. Probably it will shoot fine.

I'll look- I might have some LC 7.62 brass. I do have a little LC .30-06 in my mixed bucket. The LC 7.62 would be range pick up, but I'll bet it's once fired. The very few guys at my club who reload for rifles don't leave their brass on the ground, even if it's time to throw it away.

I think it might be Princeton PD that leaves a lot of new looking Win .308 brass- some of them even put the brass back into the ammo box before tossing it. Might be someone else, but it's a lot and always picked up. I only recently started dumpster diving for it- wish I had started a couple years ago. In general I like Winchester brass- what I've measured has been consistent.

That M14 looks nice as a blonde!

Parts mysteriously showed on my front porch later this afternoon. Box has been opened, but nothing's missing. Maybe a mis-delivery to a neighbor. Not happy with the Post Office, but I can finish the rifle in a couple minutes.

I had some clearance under the heel, but lock-up was so tight that I'm going to leave it alone for a while and see how the action settles in after shooting. If accuracy is shit, that's one of the things I'll address but not on the top of the list. Probably it will shoot fine.

I'll look- I might have some LC 7.62 brass. I do have a little LC .30-06 in my mixed bucket. The LC 7.62 would be range pick up, but I'll bet it's once fired. The very few guys at my club who reload for rifles don't leave their brass on the ground, even if it's time to throw it away.

I think it might be Princeton PD that leaves a lot of new looking Win .308 brass- some of them even put the brass back into the ammo box before tossing it. Might be someone else, but it's a lot and always picked up. I only recently started dumpster diving for it- wish I had started a couple years ago. In general I like Winchester brass- what I've measured has been consistent.

I have been stocking brass for years. I sold off a bunch of 308 brass several years ago to a friend.
I have some random pick ups floating around.
I sorted my brass and cashed in the junk when scrap went through the roof back in 06 or so.
I even got good cash for steel cases and the range was never cleaner in those years.

OCSA Swap Meet, Garand and MM Match !

The Boyd's stock is unfinished; I will finish it with RLO as I did my 1903 stock. I'm also considering slimming it down a bit, typical of Boyds it's pretty fat. I like the "flat side" look on the USGI stocks.

OCSA Swap Meet, Garand and MM Match !

The Boyd's stock is unfinished; I will finish it with RLO as I did my 1903 stock. I'm also considering slimming it down a bit, typical of Boyds it's pretty fat. I like the "flat side" look on the USGI stocks.

Typical of boyds....they suck. Although at least they come fat and with some wood to work with. Not many years ago you would need to bed or glue in shims to get a half decent fit.

Typical of boyds....they suck. Although at least they come fat and with some wood to work with. Not many years ago you would need to bed or glue in shims to get a half decent fit.

If I had to do it again, I would have gone right to a nice USGI stock.

Minelli used to make an M14 stock which was better than the boyds. They don't anymore though. I even called them and spoke to some guy with a thick heavy Italian accent, no go. I should have had Franco call for me.

Minelli used to make an M14 stock which was better than the boyds. They don't anymore though. I even called them and spoke to some guy with a thick heavy Italian accent, no go. I should have had Franco call for me.

Not to late to go USGI. Last time I checked, the guy I bought mine from had a couple more. One was a big red.

Put everything together for the pics but stripped back down to JB Weld the op rod guide and maybe work on the trigger (that I did not snap in two pieces this time) a little. Nice break but heavy pull.

Here's a couple pics for now:

5wPx5gS.jpg
[/IMG]

YXmmjxp.jpg
[/IMG]

Attachments

• 0 M14-1.jpg
    0 M14-1.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 144
Last edited:

to bad Minelli does not make them any more. They make some nice stocks although the last time I seen a Garand stock from them it went way up in price. Im not sure who DGS is using for stocks at the moment they where using wenig when I ordered mine. I have emailed and called wenig with no returns yet on garand stocks..

They make Garand stocks now; a guy on CMP forum just bought one. I would consider a Minelli if I was re-stocking a Garand.

I just spent the afternoon with my Festool orbital sander; added "flat sides" to the stock, tapered the fore stock to the ferrule, removed most of the huge back porch and slimmed down the buttstock to align a little better with the butt plate. It's not AS slim as a GI stock. I don't want to go any further just in case but I am really happy with how it looks. First coat of RLO going on tonight.

Edit : https://imgur.com/a/SceZR

Damn, that looks fantastic. Stock is pretty much your only hold up, correct?

One suggestion from my build: Unless your op rod guide is damn near impossible to install and move, I'd use the JB Weld to get it solid. I though mine was rock solid, but after my first few test shots I later saw that it had moved a little. Not moving any more...

The slots in the trigger guard that grab the stock liner lugs could be pretty tight- they were on mine. Grease them before locking up the guard- it helps.

I had a hair's width of light between the receiver heel and stock when hand fitting the receiver into the stock, even with a lot of hand pressure. Decided to leave it alone and see what it looks like after settling in. No more gap now.

I just spent the afternoon with my Festool orbital sander; added "flat sides" to the stock, tapered the fore stock to the ferrule, removed most of the huge back porch and slimmed down the buttstock to align a little better with the butt plate. It's not AS slim as a GI stock. I don't want to go any further just in case but I am really happy with how it looks. First coat of RLO going on tonight.

Edit : https://imgur.com/a/SceZR

That looks really nice! I need to do a few more coats on my E2 stock now.

HHuyGoY.jpg

Last edited:
That looks really nice! I need to do a few more coats on my E2 stock now.

HHuyGoY.jpg

Love it- that looks fantastic.

Does the brake make much of a difference?

Made a quick 5 shot target today while checking out work on other rifles. 100 yards off the bench- I usually do a little better with a sling. Still have not tried reloads yet- finishing off a box of PPU for these:

YPlyp6gh.jpg
[/IMG]

Love it- that looks fantastic.

Does the brake make much of a difference?

Made a quick 5 shot target today while checking out work on other rifles. 100 yards off the bench- I usually do a little better with a sling. Still have not tried reloads yet- finishing off a box of PPU for these:

YPlyp6gh.jpg
[/IMG]

Nice shooting, Mountain!

I don't know that the brake makes much difference. I'm not very sensitive to it if it does. It's an LRB brake designed similar to the muzzle stabilizer added to the M14A1 so I added it to my version. That picture was during its 'sea trials'. It now has a full faux selector with connector arm filling the voids in the stock.

It's kinda of funny no one's stepped in and posted
"My M1a shoots MOA all day long"
Not that they are not capable but it's a long road to get there and stay there.

Barrel break-in & light lapping/polishing, settling in to the stock, and load development. Whatever accuracy those things bring will be the end of chasing accuracy with this rifle. Eventually I may try a scope mount to see what I can get out of it.

Pretty damn close to match ready! There are some scary tight groups on those targets. Even the flyers are not that far off- just not in the 10-ring.

Can't remember which- maybe the Bula, but on one of my 'M' rifles I had to swap front sight apertures to tighten things up. Bought one of the ones that needs to be fitted and worked each edge with a diamond stone until it would barely fit. After greasing it and working it up and down it fight tightly but tracked smoothly.

Range Report

42.5 IMR 4064 / Nosler 155's loaded to 2.800 / 100 yards on SR-1's

I got to the range so I could start shooting at 9, the bad thing about the range is the morning sun is at the worst spot it could be.

https://i.imgur.com/D8bDAcB.jpg

First target took 5 or 6 shots to get into the black, started down by the powder scoop. Disregard any scores on the targets, these are used, patched and re-used from earlier matches.

https://i.imgur.com/LHX5loI.jpg

I had to get my front sight way over, and also noticed my rear sight base was a little wobbly. Unsure if they are related but I will tear down and re-do the rear sight.

https://i.imgur.com/31zaeyP.jpg

10 rounds slow fire prone, still messing around with the rear sight as it came loose

https://i.imgur.com/pKazAkO.jpg

Another 10 rounds. I would get up after each 10 round string and take a short break.

https://i.imgur.com/WTxQdN4.jpg

Rapid fire from standing for the last target and 10 rounds of the day

https://i.imgur.com/UrJtky5.jpg

Rifle not ready for competition yet but it's getting there

Well your at about what a NM M14 would be good to go. The front sight is also with in specs.
I don't remember the actual number but they even allow a slight over hang of the front sight assembly.

Back
Top Bottom