• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Not quite Milsurp, but

So Mac shot a 284 (out of 300) with his Rock-Ola (Bula) build. For CMP 200 yard rifle matches, this is a very good score regardless of equipment. I completely screwed up my score in off-hand, but shot a 100-2X and 96-1X in prone and rapid. There's no BS involved when results are scored in a match.

There's some sniping in another forum regarding Bula, but I think it's mostly to pump up egos for the insecure guys who bought something else. Solid stuff, and you can build a very accurate rifle from their forged receivers and/or barreled receivers. Yes there are other good options, but Bula deserves a reputation among the best. Have to look, was that DW who started this thread, and the subsequent projects? Anyway, thanks!

So Mac shot a 284 (out of 300) with his Rock-Ola (Bula) build. For CMP 200 yard rifle matches, this is a very good score regardless of equipment. I completely screwed up my score in off-hand, but shot a 100-2X and 96-1X in prone and rapid. There's no BS involved when results are scored in a match.

There's some sniping in another forum regarding Bula, but I think it's mostly to pump up egos for the insecure guys who bought something else. Solid stuff, and you can build a very accurate rifle from their forged receivers and/or barreled receivers. Yes there are other good options, but Bula deserves a reputation among the best. Have to look, was that DW who started this thread, and the subsequent projects? Anyway, thanks!
ehh, just F'd over Redesigned garand PsOS....:p. I like that the front sight is a few inches closer to my eye I can see it better!
I wasted a few Xs on my sighters. I could not get a near that X ring. I shot a few shots low, dialed up 1 click and hit a few high tens to the left. I don't know if was the wind or what. I dialed in 1 click right and hit the low right 9! I did not want to flirt with the chance of doing it again so dialed back to the left and shot another 10 at 7oc dialed up again hit a ten out on the edge at 10oc. I dialed in a min to the right and hit my last shot where the marker is for a 9!
V3em44ml.jpg

Reviving the Bula thread. Thanks to a recommendation from Mac, I used a plastic ultralight butt plate to barely squeak under the CMP New England Games weight limit of 9.3 lbs with 9.28 recorded on the digital scale. Glad it made it, I really like shooting this thing.

C0kxh0sl.jpg

Sighters included one 8 and one 9, everthing else X's and 10's for a perfect score in slow prone. Shot decently in rapids and the usual crap in awfulhand but still grabbed a bronze.

No issues with this thing and it just keeps hammering out nice scores. If I build another it's going to be via the kit that I picked up last year. Mostly HRA parts, if I recall correctly.

Finally got my Fulton Armory ‘built from scratch’ by yours truly out this week and got a 98-2x for score with garbage ammunition on an sr1 at wp&r after 5 sighters and another 5 shot test group.

I posted about it on the platform specific forum we’re all (seemingly) now frequenting, but didn’t want to take up extra space here.

I hope to take it out with some REAL ammo sometime this or next week and see what she can do.

Excellent shooting Mountain! I bet that .308 is probably much preferred over any .223 in VT if crosswinds are prevalent.

Last edited:
Finally got my Fulton Armory ‘built from scratch’ by yours truly out this week and got a 98-2x for score with garbage ammunition on an sr1 at wp&r after 5 sighters and another 5 shot test group.

I posted about it on the platform specific forum we’re all (seemingly) now frequenting, but didn’t want to take up extra space here.

I hope to take it out with some REAL ammo sometime this or next week and see what she can do.

Excellent shooting Mountain! I bet that .308 if probably much preferred over any .223 in VT if crosswinds are prevalent.

Feed that thing something besides slaughterhouse floor scrapings and I bet that 98-2X becomes a clean. Nice that you have that thing running.

Is it this weekend for the vintage match at OCSA? I need to look.

Yessir!

Sunday, Sunday, Sunday!!! (read in a Monster Truck announcer voice)

You traveling to Uzbekistan, I take it...or are you coming out to play?

Oh! And it should be mentioned that my 98-2x was quite literally my first attempt at a 6 o'clock hold. It's new and it's weird for me, but I think it might do the trick to help me stay in the black on match days?

Still a little fuzzy about it all...breaking 8+ years of Marine Corps indoctrination won't come without a fight.

My XM25 project keeps getting sidetracked. A few months ago I was prepping (read as 'getting up the nerve') to start the bedding process when Mitch asked if he could borrow my stock liner installation tool. He couldn't locate the one he set aside nor his drawings and had a few he needed to make. Back burner again. A week ago I thought I found some time to pick up the project again when Mitch let me know he had a couple of barrels I should look at since the SEI barrel I was going to use is a bit tired. One is a Barnett XM25 barrel and the other, still in the white, is an Obermeyer 5R originally procured for XM25 development. The only marking on it is a hand stamped 'TC' for Tom Kapp. Yes, incorrect initials that were also done on some of the Barnett barrels as well.
Mitch will do all the fitting and parkerizing of the Obermeyer to my SEI receiver. Well worth the wait me thinks.

Yessir!

Sunday, Sunday, Sunday!!! (read in a Monster Truck announcer voice)

You traveling to Uzbekistan, I take it...or are you coming out to play?

Oh! And it should be mentioned that my 98-2x was quite literally my first attempt at a 6 o'clock hold. It's new and it's weird for me, but I think it might do the trick to help me stay in the black on match days?

Still a little fuzzy about it all...breaking 8+ years of Marine Corps indoctrination won't come without a fight.

Did you use that 6:00 hold this last match with the M14? Awesome score regardless- or was that 283 (?) with the Garand? I shot Modern Military for both matches- one with the Bula M14 and one with a self-built 308 M1, and scored 272 for both matches. 3X with the Bula and 7X with the M1.

My XM25 project keeps getting sidetracked. A few months ago I was prepping (read as 'getting up the nerve') to start the bedding process when Mitch asked if he could borrow my stock liner installation tool. He couldn't locate the one he set aside nor his drawings and had a few he needed to make. Back burner again. A week ago I thought I found some time to pick up the project again when Mitch let me know he had a couple of barrels I should look at since the SEI barrel I was going to use is a bit tired. One is a Barnett XM25 barrel and the other, still in the white, is an Obermeyer 5R originally procured for XM25 development. The only marking on it is a hand stamped 'TC' for Tom Kapp. Yes, incorrect initials that were also done on some of the Barnett barrels as well.
Mitch will do all the fitting and parkerizing of the Obermeyer to my SEI receiver. Well worth the wait me thinks.

Very interesting project. Looking forward to further reports.

Did you use that 6:00 hold this last match with the M14? Awesome score regardless- or was that 283 (?) with the Garand? I shot Modern Military for both matches- one with the Bula M14 and one with a self-built 308 M1, and scored 272 for both matches. 3X with the Bula and 7X with the M1.

Very interesting project. Looking forward to further reports.

6 o clock hold with the purpose built m14 using PPU 168gr ‘Match’ ammo.

I was telling @omfgrubert on the way home about the new hold and he reluctantly agreed to give it a try after convincing himself that it actually DOES make a lot of sense for match shooting.

Yeah Sweeney...we want some updates and a range report, stat! :)

Sight picture or hold is dictated by how well you can see and see the front sight. When I can see the front sight my groups are noticeably tighter especial elevation.
In the end you use what works best for you. Sunday I had to use 6OC as lighting especially down range was crap with the shadows

I was trained to shoot standard-sized people, not standard-sized circles. Both direct and indirect. But mostly warheads on foreheads.

Back
Top Bottom