• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Northshore Firearms Middleton, MA

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can drive to Woburn and get treated like the princess I am.

I am having real difficulty with that image in my head Martlet. I'm not going to be able to sleep now. [shocked]

Seriously guys, no one likes to be treated in such a manner when they are ready to spend money. I am certainly turned off when treated rudely. I really think you may have caught him on a BAD day.

They guys are always great to me and I have done more tire kicking in there than the next guy. I've looked at a hell of a lot of guns and only bought a sleeve of primers in my 5 or so visits. They even gave me some used MTM bullet boxes for reloads for free with out my asking.

I'd give them another try.

It sounds like Mike Sr. finally figured some of us out. You all know as well as I do that we have gone into stores only to play and handle everything you can without any intension of buying...YOU GOT CAUGHT...

See, the trick is to grab a box of ammo and carry it around with you. That way they think you're buying something. Then you just leave it on the counter when you leave. That way you can waste their time AND make them do extra work.

[wink]

It sounds like Mike Sr. finally figured some of us out. You all know as well as I do that we have gone into stores only to play and handle everything you can without any intension of buying...YOU GOT CAUGHT...

NOPE... I wanted the M&P but they did not have the cal I wanted. But when I saw how mint the Hi Power was that he had I thought for sure that i was gonna buy that because I got that tingly feeling that i get when I unexpectedly find something that I want to buy... Untill he would not show me because I already looked at 2 without buying. [sad2]

Last edited:
Bad business, that would have sent me to a different dealer as well. I tire kick, and when I'm ready to, I buy. Don't insult me or I'll go look around somewhere else and buy from them.

This is Mike Jr. and thanks for the compliment! But I have to have my say here. My Dad can get loud (he's half deaf) and can talk pretty stern sometimes. Now you just walked in and asked to look at the Lusa (mp5 copy) and he gladly showed it to you and you held it and stuff. You never said you wanted to buy a M&P. So, after he told you about the LUSA, you just put it down, turned your back and walked away. Not even a "Thank You"! I even noticed that and got mad myself. You came across as "rude". Then you asked to see the M&P, he showed you and I cant believe you had the "balls" to ask him to take it appart when you had no intention on buying it. Then you again walked away, so he put that gun back. He might have come across pretty stern but I dont blame him for asking you if you intended on buying something. During this whole time, you never once said you wanted to buy an M&P! It wasnt all as bad as you are making it out to be. Alot of people come in and just "tire kick" as you people say. Imagain how you would feel when people want to handle guns in the store that are worth $5,000-$6,000 and stratch them with no intention on buying it. Or when you spend an hour with someone and then they tell you there going to another gun shop to try to save ten buck's. I know its all part of the buisness and I expect it. In this case, I agree with what happened, and some people just need to learn some manors. He just treated you the way you treated him!

This is Mike Jr. and thanks for the compliment! But I have to have my say here. My Dad can get loud (he's half deaf) and can talk pretty stern sometimes. Now you just walked in and asked to look at the Lusa (mp5 copy) and he gladly showed it to you and you held it and stuff. You never said you wanted to buy a M&P. So, after he told you about the LUSA, you just put it down, turned your back and walked away. Not even a "Thank You"! I even noticed that and got mad myself. You came across as "rude". Then you asked to see the M&P, he showed you and I cant believe you had the "balls" to ask him to take it appart when you had no intention on buying it. Then you again walked away, so he put that gun back. He might have come across pretty stern but I dont blame him for asking you if you intended on buying something. During this whole time, you never once said you wanted to buy an M&P! It wasnt all as bad as you are making it out to be. Alot of people come in and just "tire kick" as you people say. Imagain how you would feel when people want to handle guns in the store that are worth $5,000-$6,000 and stratch them with no intention on buying it. Or when you spend an hour with someone and then they tell you there going to another gun shop to try to save ten buck's. I know its all part of the buisness and I expect it. In this case, I agree with what happened, and some people just need to learn some manors. He just treated you the way you treated him!

If I had ever considered going back to your store, this post just changed that.

You need to find a new line of work.

i often times will have the store dissassemble a firearm that I'm looking at. I don't really think it's a matter of balls, but rather you want to see how the firearm looks on the "inside", as well as see how it breaks down. A good salesman bites his tongue, even when a customer is being "rude". I can understand the frustration in dissassembling 5 different guns, but if thats what makes the sale than I wouldn't have a problem with it. Gun's are tools, so the shopper needs to feel comfortable with the EXPENSIVE purchase they will be making. I would not buy a gun if the owner refused to dissassemble it, because to me at least it would appear as if they are hiding something. I have never been to your store, nor have met you so I am speaking in general. I do plan on checking your store out eventually, and see what you guys have in stock.

You are trying to sell merchandise. Period. No one should be required to be over-the-top thankful for asking you or your dad to do their job. If someone asking to see guns in a gunshop and doesn't cover you with thank-you-kisses is considered "rude", you need to rethink being in the retail industry. Sales are made when sellers "turn" tire kickers into buyers by doing everything in their power to make a customer feel special, confident, and happy about what they are buying and who they are buying it from. A simple apology for treating costomer disrespectfully probably would have solved this, but instead you defended the bad business practice.

A potential customer asked to see two guns and didn't buy them? Call the waaambulance.

This is Mike Jr. and thanks for the compliment! But I have to have my say here. My Dad can get loud (he's half deaf) and can talk pretty stern sometimes. Now you just walked in and asked to look at the Lusa (mp5 copy) and he gladly showed it to you and you held it and stuff. You never said you wanted to buy a M&P. So, after he told you about the LUSA, you just put it down, turned your back and walked away. Not even a "Thank You"! I even noticed that and got mad myself. You came across as "rude". Then you asked to see the M&P, he showed you and I cant believe you had the "balls" to ask him to take it appart when you had no intention on buying it. Then you again walked away, so he put that gun back. He might have come across pretty stern but I dont blame him for asking you if you intended on buying something. During this whole time, you never once said you wanted to buy an M&P! It wasnt all as bad as you are making it out to be.

Well, I cant honestly say that I remember thanking him for taking out the Lusa (mp5 copy), but I would be surprised if I did not. But, since I cant say for sure I will take your word for it. BUT, I am surprised that you did not hear me thank him about the tear down of the M&P! It was not even a plain-old thank you, it was more along the lines of "Thank you very much. I appreciate the demonstration".

I still cant see where I came across as rude. Which is why I was so blind-sided by his reaction to my asking to see the Hi Power. If I was a rude person, I am sure that I would have had word for him rather than just leaving without a single word.

/John

Last edited:
I don't want to be too hard on the "Mikes" because I don't know them, have never been to they're store, and wasn't involved in the situation. But as a fellow retail store owner (I own a liquor store), I get all kinds of abuse from customers when I'm working the store. I certainly don't let anybody get away with anything that isn't in my best interest, but I'm never, ever rude to any of them. Let them be as rude as they want... I just smile and thank them for the visit. Even if they don't buy today, they'll buy tomorrow.

So if I go to a car dealership to test drive a car without having the intention to buy it I'm in the wrong? Get real buddy. You're not just working on current sales with a customer, but future ones as well. I am not one to buy impulsively and chances are I will want to look at a bunch of stuff my first trip without purchasing anything. The second trip is where I'd drop 2 grand. You really need to work on your business practices.

So, I have been there before and liked the place. But today I was treated like a child by the elder Mike. The shop was empty except for me and my friend. At first Mike was nice. I asked to see a MP5 knock off that was in the case and was promptly shown. After a few minutes I asked about an M&P which is what I really went there for anyway. I was shown and elder Mike even field stripped it for me when I asked him to. But, it was not the caliber that I wanted. He said that he would be getting more so I figured that I would put that off for now. So, I asked to see a Browning Hi Power that he had and he got pissed. He asked me if I was serious about buying. I was caught off guard by the way he asked. I did not know what to say, was I supposed to commit to buying something? I mean, I had intended on getting the M&P but it was not the right cal. I could tell that he did not want to show me anything else so I started to leave and he said to come back when I was serious. I am a serious buyer, but that’s not the point. If I am going to buy something, I am going to look at as much as I want BEFORE I make my choice. I really want a Browning Hi Power and I may have even bought the one he had since I was going to wait on the M&P until he had my caliber. But, if after looking at 2 guns he is going to give an attitude, FORGET IT. I WONT be going back, and that is too bad because I like the younger Mike. I could see if the shop was busy, but it was just me and my friend and I only looked at 2 pieces. WOW! In the almost 10 years that I have been buying firearms, I have never been treated like that. Even at Four Seasons where it is busy all the time. I suggest that if you want to go there, talk to the younger Mike, he will let you examine the merchandise without getting pissy. But, if you dont want to have to deal with worrying about who to talk to, DONT GO THERE. I wont be anymore.

/John

Shazamn! Mike doesn't get it that how the customer is treated equates to sales. Service dictates whether or not someone will buy. Oh well. Go somewhere else where they appreciate you doing business with them even if you have to spend a little more.

I work part-time at a gun shop & pawn shop and we do get pretty much every type of person and it is really important to treat everyone with the same respect that you would like to receive. Not everyone buys big ticket items each time they come through the door, but the do remember how the sales staff talks, listens and treats the customers. You never know if the guy in the ripped up jeans and paint stains on his faded t-shirt has 2 grand cash in his pocket looking to pick up their dream rifle that they have been saving for. You better believe that people dropping that much money will tire kick all day if they need to get that warm fuzzy on the purchase. Even if they don't buy, the shop will get word-of-mouth about a good staff and hopefully more customers will come through the door. Bad day or not, there is no excuse to blow off a customer. If it's the bottom line that you listen to, then that was money that just walked out the door with possibly less coming in.

This is Mike Jr. and thanks for the compliment! But I have to have my say here.

Well Mike, I’m assuming you’ve read the responses to your post. I think it’s fair to say that few would agree with Mike Seniors actions and some would even have issues with your follow up. I’d like to give you some free advice, which you can obviously take at face value. I’m going to re-word your response. Then I’d like some of the other members of the board to post what they would do if this had happened to them and you had responded in the way that I’m about to describe:

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I normally would prefer to handle issues like this in person because the internet doesn’t allow us to see facial expressions or hear tones in ones voice. However it’s very important to me that the readers of this forum know where I stand on this issue so I’ll make this one post and then ask that all other questions be called in to the shop or be asked in person.

First and foremost let me apologize for your bad experience with Mike Senior. My Dad can get loud (he's half deaf) and can talk pretty stern sometimes but that doesn’t excuse how he treated you. I can only offer you some insight as to why he reacted the way that he did.

You entered the store and asked to look at the Lusa (mp5 copy) which he gladly showed you and let you inspect. To the best of my (and his) memory, you had not yet mentioned that you wanted to buy an M&P. After he told you about the LUSA, you put it down, turned your back and walked away. Neither of us heard even a "Thank You" for Mike’s efforts, which was interpreted by Mike Sr, and admittedly even by me as being rude. Now that I’ve heard some of your comments, hind-sight allows me to see that you were simply in heavy thought over the large purchase you were about to make but at the time we were unaware of that so we misinterpreted your actions. For that we would like to apologize.

Then you asked to see the M&P which he showed you. I was surprised to hear you ask him to take it apart when, as best as I could tell, you had no intention on buying it. Then you again walked away, so he put that gun back. At this point he felt that you were just making him jump through hoops like many customers sometimes do. I frankly can’t blame him for wondering if you were seriously interested in making a purchase however that wonder should have been kept on the list of things NOT to say to a customer.

I also hope you can understand where that skepticism comes from. A lot of people come in and just "tire kick" as you people say. Imagine how you would feel when people want to handle guns in the store that are worth $5,000-$6,000 and scratch them with no intention on buying it. Or when you spend an hour with someone and then they tell you there going to another gun shop to try to save ten buck's. I know its all part of the business and I expect it. However sometimes it gets to you. I know it shouldn’t but it does. In this case, he interpreted your actions as rude. He then chose to treat you the way he felt you had treated him. I must also confess that IF he were right, and you were intentionally being rude, I would stand by him 100%. However it is now clear to me that, by the comments you made both in this thread as well as the other thread in the general section, we may have been mistaken. I would therefore like to make it up to you. Please come back to the store and I would love the opportunity to re-earn your trust. We don’t have very large profit margins on firearms but if you are still interested in either the M&P or the Browning Hi Power, I will do whatever I can to convince you that we want to make this right. I’ll even throw in a couple of boxes of ammo for whichever gun you buy as a gesture of good faith.

I’m going to re-word your response. Then I’d like some of the other members of the board to post what they would do if this had happened to them and you had responded in the way that I’m about to describe: *snip*

I'd say that if he had worded it like that, I would actually go out of my way to go visit his store, having never been there before.

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I normally would prefer to handle issues like this in person because the internet doesn’t allow us to see facial expressions or hear tones in ones voice. However it’s very important to me that the readers of this forum know where I stand on this issue so I’ll make this one post and then ask that all other questions be called in to the shop or be asked in person.

First and foremost let me apologize for your bad experience with Mike Senior. My Dad can get loud (he's half deaf) and can talk pretty stern sometimes but that doesn’t excuse how he treated you. [end]

should have ended there. That would have been an appropriate response even if you thought the customer was an a$$.

Yes, that would/could have been maybe a better response. For the most part! People that know me, know Im a very nice guy and so isnt my Dad. And we have no problem showing people things. Many of you on here have come in and looked and touched with no complaints. But this is also a two way street! He could/should have presented himself better as well. For instance; telling us he was just browsing and was wondering if he could check out the LUSA just so he could see what its like, and/or telling us that he really wanted to buy an M&P but we didnt have the caliber he wanted. I never knew he even wanted an M&P, he never said a word about it! He just acted all pushy and weird, I just got a bad vibe from him and his friend. If he did tell me that, I would have told him that I was and did get a shipment of M&P's in 9's, 40's, compacts and full size in just today so he could get one then. And of course being polite always helps in any situation, no matter what or who you are. Im not new with dealing with people, I was a bartender in Peabody for many years among other jobs. I've lived off tips and in fact even bought my house with tips. I understand how you all think we were wrong. And yes, maybe we did go a little overboard. And for that I am sorry! I know he probably wont come back, but he is always welcome. Just speak up and tell us what your intersted in, so we are all on the same page. Not sure about free ammo though, lol! But for future reference, the customer is normally always right but there are some people (Im not refering to this guy)who are not worth the sale. Mike

Hey Snapshot...You have no clue of what happened. You do'nt know the facts nor does anyone else. You just assumed in this case the customer was right. Just remember, "to assume is to make an ass out of you and me." The fact is that I have been in their store many times and have observed on many occassions jerks asking to handle all different guns, don't say thank you, and just walk out. You people should visit them and see first hand what they are like. And while your there, spend some money. You should all stop this stupid baloney...and grow up and get a life.

Hey Snapshot...You have no clue of what happened. You do'nt know the facts nor does anyone else. You just assumed in this case the customer was right. Just remember, "to assume is to make an ass out of you and me." The fact is that I have been in their store many times and have observed on many occassions jerks asking to handle all different guns, don't say thank you, and just walk out. You people should visit them and see first hand what they are like. And while your there, spend some money. You should all stop this stupid baloney...and grow up and get a life.

This isn't hanging out at your buddys house. They are a business. I expect more from people I give my money to.

Did they thank him for visiting their store? Did they thank him for giving them the opportunity to earn his business?

I can't count the number of guns I've handled at Four Seasons and not purchased. Sometimes I spend a few grand, sometimes I spend nothing. Usually I spend in between. Almost every time I'm there, even if they're 4 deep at the counter, when it's my turn they act like I'm the only person in the store and almost always thank me for coming in.

I've never been thrown out for looking at too many guns.

Just seems like more of the arrogance of some gun shops in MA. I guess that a lack of competition just breeds a "take it or leave it" attitude among some gun shop owners and employees.

Back a long time ago when I was in retail I blew off a customer for some dumb reason. Dumb on my part. The manager of the store saw that and explained to me that no one in sales can really afford to do that. Once you do, you've not only lost a customer, but you've lost the other potential customers that the unhappy ex customer is going discourage from buying from you.

That's a good lesson, but it doesn't hold due to the low level of competition in this state. If Mike Jr or Sr knew that a customer could drive two miles and buy the identical guns from another guy, they'd either change their attitudes or go out of business.

If you don't believe me, then look at how much the attitude of auto insurers in this state has changed over the past six months.

Gary

First off you really make yourself look silly making a post like that AFTER the owner himself agreed with me. Second, for somebody who just spoke so adamantly about "knowing the facts", you sure do act like the jerks you've seen in the past somehow have ANYTHING to do with this situation. However, that being said:
You are right. I was not there. I do not know the facts. Unfortunately facts won't mean much when the smoke clears from this thread. It's going to come down to opinion. It's the opinion of everybody who reads this that will dictate whether or not they shop at his store. If he is wise, he'll want to make sure that their opinions have been dealt with properly.

If I had to guess, judging by some of the responses in this thread, most people can see themselves in this situation. A situation where perhaps they have unknowingly offended somebody. So they are looking for Mikes response as if it were they who were in the store that day. They want to know that they won't be cast out if they make some sort of mistake. (And yes, they are giving NX1Z the benefit of the doubt that it was a mistake. There is a big difference between giving the benefit of the doubt and "assuming". Also, whether you like it or not, the customer is generally given the benefit of the doubt over the salesman)

So that is really the only point of my post. Not to assume. Just to give perspective. If you or he or anybody else doesn't want that perspective then nobody is forcing you to read my posts.

Yup, that just lost you any business I would have conducted at your store. Woburn's a bit more of a drive, but the staff is always professional.

some people just need to learn some manors
I'll fill in for Scrivener this morning, since he's no doubt fielding all the calls since he's been quoted in the Globe, so here goes:

Some people need to lern how to spel :).

The customer is the only reason you open the door. Every customer should be important. It would seem you have not figured this out.
Good luck!

I don't get why a gun saleman would get mad if someone "tire-kicked". I give my business to places that let me play with everything, and don't hassle me about it. I may not buy the gun, but I'll go back for ammo, accessories, etc. I'll tell friends about that great gun shop, they'll let you handle whatever you want, no problems. It's unfortunate that one bad situation can lead potential customers away, but lick your wounds and get on with it.

Too funny, I have to say I've been in this shop many times and I always find it funny to see people come in forget that it's a business with the specific goal of making money. Here are a few do's and don'ts about being in a store for all you inept morons out there:

DO ask to see the guns and ask questions with the intent of actually buying something at some point in the future

DON'T come by every other day to hang out and never purchase anything, you have gun clubs and Elks lodges for that

DO feel free to listen in on gun conversations, you might learn something

DON'T inject yourself in gun conversations uninvited, these people are trying to sell something. You want to impress someone join a forum like this.

DO Negotiate price or ask for a deal on some other piece that goes with the gun

DON'T purchase a box of ammo and expect the gun for free

PEOPLE remember one thing, it's a business...... I go to all the local shops and in my mind you have this place and Four Seasons and thats about it and lately I've gotten better deals at this place so for now I'll keep shopping around and going to the place that has the best price.

I myself would let him drive to Woburn, a customer like this when you bean count out the time spent is simply not worth it. I know that everyone refers to the Golden Rule with customers but the fact of the matter is that its verbal fodder and the customers you want to focus on are the ones that have a general idea of what they want, intend on buying it sometime in the next 90 days and have the money to do it. I was looking at the people that post in here and I often wonder how someone with 3-4 thousand posts in a few years can have any grasp on reality. With so many posts in so many categories it kinda makes you feel like the person is a know it all...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom