Noobie Questions

So now that I have my LTC I am set to start making some purchases. But I have a few questions first.

1. Ammo, can I buy ammo out of state legally? What about mail order?

2. Can I buy guns out of state. From what I understand, I can by long guns out of state without a problem but handguns need to be transferred through an FFL.

3. MA compliant handguns. I understand there is a list of 'legal' guns for MA. So how come I see things in the classified like brand new Glocks for same in MA. Is that legal? If I purchase a gun through a FTF transfer, I assume it is my responsibility to make sure the purchase is MA compliant. What about if the transfer is through an FFL? Do they make sure its MA compliant? If so, then how can those brand new Glocks be sold in MA?

Thanks

Congrats on your LTC. I will try and answer your questions.

1. Yes you can buy ammo out of state. You technically can by mail order but good luck finding a company that will ship to you in MA, if you do live in MA, where do you live? The AG in MA prevents this.

2. You can buy long guns out of state, I know you can't buy handguns out of state, so yes I believe they have to be transfered to a FFL.

3. There is a list of approved guns. I believe you can buy a non-compliant gun through a FTF sale, FFL can not sell you a non-approved fun unless you are Law Enforcement. (Someone please correct me if any of the above is not correct.)

Last edited:
1) yes. you can. many out of state sellers(online) are of the misconception that you can not ship Ammo to MA. Thats incorrect. As a rule, we do not post names or websites of any sellers that ship ammo to MA.

2) Yes you can. you are exactly right on #2. However, be aware of things like the EOPS and AG's list of "allowed" guns:(

3) The onus is on an FFL to find out if a gun is compliant. If they think it is, it is.

One thing that wasn't made totally clear above. You can buy long guns out of state from a DEALER. FTF sales across state lines are a no-no.

3. MA compliant handguns. I understand there is a list of 'legal' guns for MA. So how come I see things in the classified like brand new Glocks for same in MA. Is that legal? If I purchase a gun through a FTF transfer, I assume it is my responsibility to make sure the purchase is MA compliant. What about if the transfer is through an FFL? Do they make sure its MA compliant? If so, then how can those brand new Glocks be sold in MA?

Thanks

There is no obligation on the buyer to ensure handgun compliance. This is only a dealer issue.

Please read....
http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=37553

You might also want to poke through this subforum, on MA gun law... most of your questions will likely be addressed by posts in here:
http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=81

-Mike

A quick note of caution buying handguns out of state for transfer through a Mass FFL.

Some of the guns on the approved roster are not allowed to be sold by as Mass FFL because the AG has randomly decided they don't meet the AG's criteria. (There's other threads on this subject).

Point being, you may find yourself with a gun that you buy and is shipped to your Mass FFL but they won't give it to you because it's not on the AG's "double super seecrit list."

Do yourself a favor and if you find a handgun out of state that you really want, call your mass FFL before you buy it and make sure they're willing to transfer it to you before you spend your money.

Another suggestion Dan (and welcome to the forum), you might want to check out the Gun Shops and Reviews thread. Depending on where you live, you might see a store near you, or a great store to go to, and, you might also read reviews of stores to stay away from.

FTF sales are only allowed with the person who lives in the same state you do, and that's for both long and hand guns. Gun control act of 1968 makes FTF between out os staters a no no.

Do read the Gun Laws section for MA gun laws. The state doesn't allow for "not knowing" if you break a law. [wink]

Happy shopping. [grin]

Thanks for all the information. I checked out the MA Gun law sections and all the info above helps. MA just doesn't want to make this easy.

I went to a few stores yesterday and called a few but no one had a new model 41 in stock. I did head up to Bob's in Salisbury and shot a couple guns. A 1911 and a Glock. It was fun.

I am thinking about picking up a S&W .357 revolver to start and ordering a Model 41 from someone.

I am thinking about picking up a S&W .357 revolver to start and ordering a Model 41 from someone.
VERY good idea.

If you want to start with a centerfire revolver, I would so far to suggest a matching rimfire revolver.

For a .357 Magnum I would recommend S&W Models 19, 66, 13, 65, 581, 681, 627, or 28 (only available used now), or S&W Models 686 or 27 (available used or new).

For a rimfire I'd recommend the S&W Models 18 or 617 (used or new).

I am not sure where you live, however please check us out for you next gun order or purchase.
We are in Ludlow MA. just off of the Mass Pike Springfield exit 6.
We are in the dealer section on the NES forum.

I went to a few stores yesterday and called a few but no one had a new model 41 in stock. I am thinking about picking up a S&W .357 revolver to start and ordering a Model 41 from someone.

Model 41s are ubiquitous and they don't "wear out". When I got into shooting every bullseye shooter was shooting a 41 or a High Standard Victor.

As years went on, many migrated to a lot more expensive .22s such as the Hammerli. For that reason, it is easy to find 41s listed for sale at gun clubs (on bulletin boards or websites), so keep your eyes peeled or post a WTB here on NES.

In a lot of cases, buying handguns from out of state doesn't wash financially. You may have to pay an FFL and shipping fee from owner to your MA FFL, then add your MA FFLs fee to it and the total adds significantly to the cost of the gun.

Local dealers can also order a new one (if you insist on doing your own "break in"), assuming that the gun meets all the BS MA requirements. So ask before leaping at out of state sources.

Good luck on your quest.

How does it work if I live in NH and wanted to buy a gun from somebody in ME? Does FA-10 only apply to purchases? If I had somebody in ME that could buy the gun, do the FA-10 then just give it to me would that be legal or is that a no no? or do you even need to both with all that mess, could you just give the guy cash and have him hand you the gun?

OOOH Gotcha, I wasn't sure if it was a federal thing, I hadn't really looked into it much as the only gun I've purchased in awhile has been through a gunshop.

How does it work if I live in NH and wanted to buy a gun from somebody in ME? Does FA-10 only apply to purchases? If I had somebody in ME that could buy the gun, do the FA-10 then just give it to me would that be legal or is that a no no? or do you even need to both with all that mess, could you just give the guy cash and have him hand you the gun?

Fed Law: ALL transactions between individuals that live in different states MUST go thru an FFL! For long guns you can do this in any state (if state law allows). For handguns, all transactions MUST be made in state of residence of new owner.

Fed Law trumps any state laws, therefore this is what applies in your case.

Another choice for a revolver would be a Ruger Security Six. I picked up mine for $300, it was in perfect condition and the action is as smooth as any I've seen, including some custom guns.

Back
Top Bottom