• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Non resident LTC possible changes coming?

steve8140

NES Member
I haven’t seen any of this information posted here yet. Anyone have any more details?

Reading this, it looks like there might be a possibility of non-resident LTC’s at minimum being changed to five years versus the current one year.

Sorry for the crappy pictures, I can’t find another way to upload it yet.
IMG_6075.png IMG_6076.png IMG_6077.png IMG_6078.png

Who told you they are currently one year?
They are. Been having to renew annually since I first got one in 1997 (except for 7 years when I was in AZ and couldn't afford to make the trip each year).
It would require the legistraitors to vote to change MGL and lose all that revenue. I don't see it happening, and formal sessions are over, so it won't happen anytime soon.
Ehhh, if forced to do so, they'll just charge $500 for 5 years, instead of $100 per year.
always been 1 year and takes 6 months to get one
Yup. As soon as you get you newest one, start prepping the renewal. This year it's going to take, at a minimum 9 months since the first appointment they would give me was 3 months after expiration, and it will be at least another month after the interview to get the license. Every year I'm expired for longer and longer before they renew. :mad:

Before anyone gets their hopes up, this was a state district court decision, not a federal district court decision. This has about zero precedential value and no binding authority over any other MA state district court.

I haven’t seen any of this information posted here yet. Anyone have any more details?

Reading this, it looks like there might be a possibility of non-resident LTC’s at minimum being changed to five years versus the current one year.

Sorry for the crappy pictures, I can’t find another way to upload it yet.
View attachment 787654View attachment 787655View attachment 787656View attachment 787657
I am a little confused by your post.

You include a Twitter post saying a judge declared the need for it to be "unconstitutional". But then ask of they will turn it into a 5 year license.

Why would they turn it into a 5 year license if it is "unconstitutional"? ... shouldn't the question be: "when will MA get rid of out of State LTC?".

Also, I listened to the video while working so I missed some details, but looks like this applies to traveling, which is covered by FOPA. Or was this applied to just hanging out in MA? (Sorry if I missed this detail).

Last edited:
They are. Been having to renew annually since I first got one in 1997 (except for 7 years when I was in AZ and couldn't afford to make the trip each year).

Ehhh, if forced to do so, they'll just charge $500 for 5 years, instead of $100 per year.

Yup. As soon as you get you newest one, start prepping the renewal. This year it's going to take, at a minimum 9 months since the first appointment they would give me was 3 months after expiration, and it will be at least another month after the interview to get the license. Every year I'm expired for longer and longer before they renew. :mad:
Pretty soon you will have to go for your renewal x2 at the same time since it will be expired by the time you get your last renewal. It is absurd.

Also, I listened to the video while working so I missed some details, but looks like this applies to traveling, which is covered by FOPA. Or was this applied to just hanging out in MA? (Sorry of I missed this detail).
FOPA does not cover carrying in the "plain English" sense of the word (as in carry on one's person ready for emergency use). The MA definition of "carrying" even includes unloaded in the trunk of your car.

FOPA does not cover carrying in the "plain English" sense of the word (as in carry on one's person ready for emergency use). The MA definition of "carrying" even includes unloaded in the trunk of your car.
Ok, it makes sense now. Wow.

After the initial in-person the renewals do not require in-person appointments for 5 (or 6?) years. My renewal process (while it did take 6+ months) was all online. So, yep, will start the next one 7 months before expiration. lol

I did not think MA had yet implemented online renewal for non-res LTC. I heard it was planned but hadn’t seen it yet. Interview only once every 5 years (and it’s not really an interview - you just have to show up).

I watched that last night. Could be interesting. Not of much help to me IN mASS, but an interesting development and might lead to a nationwide reciprocity as a result. LOL
I am wondering, how could this lead to national reciprocity if it was a district decision?

Trying to learn something.

I am a little confused by your post.

You include a Twitter post saying a judge declared the need for it to be "unconstitutional". But then ask of they will turn it into a 5 year license.

Why would they turn it into a 5 year license if it is "unconstitutional"? ... shouldn't the question be: "when will MA get rid of out of State LTC?".
For MA residents (those of us NRs don't count), I'd concentrate on KILLING off HD 4420. I did an earlier quick read of GOAL's points on HD 4420 and if it were to pass, for all intents a NR LTC or even LEOSA would be void and of no use. HD 4420 seems to demand that only guns and mags REGISTERED in MA (the new scheme) would be legal to be possessed in MA. I'm not registering any more guns or mags (or serializing them) for MA and I doubt many other NRs would do it either, so possession of anything in MA even with a NR LTC or covered under LEOSA would be a felony.
I did not think MA had yet implemented online renewal for non-res LTC. I heard it was planned but hadn’t seen it yet. Interview only once every 5 years (and it’s not really an interview - you just have to show up).
A long time ago they went to one show-up in Chelsea every 6 yrs and all other years are by USMail and wait 4-6 months for your renewal to show up.

Ok, sure, not exactly online - fill out form and add letter for 'reasons' and mail it in. I never talked to a human.

Ok, sure, not exactly online - fill out form and add letter for 'reasons' and mail it in. I never talked to a human.
No letters or other docs needed. Just the form and bank check. You can put all lawful purposes in the reason why. This all confirmed in a phone conversation with FRB this month.

No letters or other docs needed. Just the form and bank check. You can put all lawful purposes in the reason why. This all confirmed in a phone conversation with FRB this month.
Ok, good to know. When I started my renewal last November they were still asking for the letter/text. No biggie since I saved the text of the letter I used in my original application and just copied that in :cool:

Ok, good to know. When I started my renewal last November they were still asking for the letter/text. No biggie since I saved the text of the letter I used in my original application and just copied that in :cool:
They might not have changed the paperwork.

While not out of State, Boston still asks for a bunch of stuff they tell you to not provide if renewing.

The reasons don't matter anymore because they can't do the restricted BS.

Last time I had to use the FRB is when I had a Greencard and they were issuing those big paper resident alien FID cards. That was over a decade ago. I had to deal with Cosmo in his tiny office with no windows. I believe a few here knew the guy.

The NR process is still absurd and clearly designed to dissuade applicants. Snail mail? A bank check? Really? And 4-6 months to process what can't be many applications. And no hold over -- you cannot carry on an expired NR LTC until you actually receive the new one. They told me a few years ago that they were going to move to pure online renewals, but that hasn't happened.

I am wondering, how could this lead to national reciprocity if it was a district decision?

Trying to learn something.
Only if Mass escalates the loss
Which they won't if they are smart since while there are a lot of errors in the opinion it would have a very good chance of SCOTUS placing a lot of scrutiny on Mass firearms law

After the initial in-person the renewals do not require in-person appointments for 5 (or 6?) years. My renewal process (while it did take 6+ months) was all online. So, yep, will start the next one 7 months before expiration. lol
This is year 6 (actually 7 for me, since they were so late issuing last year's).
Six years.
For MA residents (those of us NRs don't count), I'd concentrate on KILLING off HD 4420. I did an earlier quick read of GOAL's points on HD 4420 and if it were to pass, for all intents a NR LTC or even LEOSA would be void and of no use. HD 4420 seems to demand that only guns and mags REGISTERED in MA (the new scheme) would be legal to be possessed in MA. I'm not registering any more guns or mags (or serializing them) for MA and I doubt many other NRs would do it either, so possession of anything in MA even with a NR LTC or covered under LEOSA would be a felony.

A long time ago they went to one show-up in Chelsea every 6 yrs and all other years are by USMail and wait 4-6 months for your renewal to show up.
Yup.
That's what I was told. Eventually (some years later) perhaps they will update the form and MIRCS.
As of February 2023 when I printed mine out, it was still the same as before.

Back
Top Bottom