• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Non police carrying retention holsters?

How many punches to your face does it take to cause a life-threatening injury?

Fists and feet are used in 600 murders a year, and probably more killings not labeled murder.

To the OP, I like the Safariland ALS in which you use your thumb to release it. But the paddle holster I have isn’t very concealable.

Well, one if its a nice pop on the button. If you are unconscious you are as good as dead.

How about a knuckle punch to the soft spot between C2 and C3? Or the old Bas Rutten shovelpunch to the pancreas? Both can be fatal. A good hook to the temple and you go home feeling fine then die in your sleep of a brain bleed. It's happened before.

I would argue the theory of escalation of force

I was just about to type that but you have to remember Florida has a very strong stand your ground law I would point to the theory of escalation of force you can use whatever level of force one above what is being applied to you to defend yourself.

Gonna vary wildly depending on jurisdiction. I live in a state where I can use lethal force, from inside my house, if I look out and see someone breaking into my car, garage etc... No I'm not kidding.

Either way, I doubt it will ever be as plainly treated as, "the guy trying to rob you through a punch at you. that means you were in a fistfight." That would be the get out of death cheat card and just plain ridiculous.

I have a severely damaged spine to the point that one good punch could kill or paralyze me instantly. I'm under no obligation to allow someone to potentially kill me, or to engage in a fight that could potentially kill me. Especially if I have the means to prevent that, regardless of how many steps of escelation, or whatever it is. I'm also not under any obligation to advertize my weakness to a potential attacker in some plea to change their mind, or any other such nonsense. Raise your fists and I'll raise my gun. Period.

How many punches to your face does it take to cause a life-threatening injury?
Any blow to the head/neck area is deadly force.

That doesn't mean it will kill you, it just means that it's capable of killing you. Plenty of people have been killed and/or been permanently injured by a single punch to the head. '

"Gordon Hale, III, was the first Texas licensee to kill an assailant using his concealed firearm--and the first licensee arrested. Hale had been involved in a minor noninjury traffic accident that turned into an assault when the other driver, Kenny Tavai, punched Hale repeatedly in the face and then attempted to drag him out of his car through the window. Hale fired his weapon in response, killing Tavai. The Dallas district attorney`s office charged Hale with murder for using what it considered excessive force in defending against Tavai. The grand jury believed that Hale justifiably feared for his life and refused to indict him."

Anyone here (not a cop) carry concealed with a retention type holster? I don't even know if they exist. In the off chance there is an unavoidable hands on scuffle: grapple, rolling on the ground etc. What mechanisms or techniques could prevent a gun grab?

There are techniques. Take the Close Quarter pistol class at Sig Academy. You will practice retention skills with a partner. I would also suggest the Close Quarters rifle, you will learn why not to grab someone's rifle muzzle.

I've worn a Blackhawk Serpa for the last ten years. First for my Glock 17 and now my Glock 21. Everyday, year round. In the summer I untuck and unbutton my shirt. If it's windy, I tuck a corner of my shirt in so the wind won't take it.

Attachments

• 20210317_010105.jpg
    20210317_010105.jpg
    250.9 KB · Views: 13
  • 20210317_010538.jpg
    20210317_010538.jpg
    728.9 KB · Views: 13
EDC - simple tension Level 1 retention.

Team Tactical Training - Level 2/3 retention.

I’m an old fart and will not do any somersaults with a gun, but will probably trip, fall and roll unexpectedly. I just want my gun on me if I manage to stagger to my feet.

I’m an old fart and will not do any somersaults with a gun, but will probably trip, fall and roll unexpectedly. I just want my gun on me if I manage to stagger to my feet.
SODLvG.gif

Back
Top Bottom