Non police carrying retention holsters?

Anyone here (not a cop) carry concealed with a retention type holster? I don't even know if they exist. In the off chance there is an unavoidable hands on scuffle: grapple, rolling on the ground etc. What mechanisms or techniques could prevent a gun grab?

Anyone here (not a cop) carry concealed with a retention type holster? I don't even know if they exist. In the off chance there is an unavoidable hands on scuffle: grapple, rolling on the ground etc. What mechanisms or techniques could prevent a gun grab?
I use orpaz for owb. It is a level 2 retention thumb release design.

When I carry OWB I use a thumb break but Ive taken a change to mostly IWB after my change to carrying the 365. My larger framed stuff has taken up living in the dark. I recall only taking out the 220 and 226 once each all winter.

Now that Im in NH, and dont give a f*** if my OWB holster accidentally shows the muzzle if the sweatshirt rides up a bit, I will use my Comptac holster usually, but occasionally, I will use the holster that sits a bit higher than the Comptac and has a thumb break.

Most ppl don't CCW retention holsters because they're huge. If someone puts their hand on your gun you can put your hand on theirs to stuff the gun back into the holster and lay on it. This is exactly why I recommend everyone who carries also has an Emerson Wave weak side. There's no replacement for training though. If you've never taken a BJJ class you're at a huge disadvantage as a gun owner, since you have no idea how BAD you are at ground fighting (no offense) unless you've rolled with a high level player.

I would argue the theory of escalation of force
Zimmerman disagrees
I was just about to type that but you have to remember Florida has a very strong stand your ground law I would point to the theory of escalation of force you can use whatever level of force one above what is being applied to you to defend yourself.

Last edited:
I would argue the theory of

I was just about to type that but you have to remember Florida has a very strong stand your ground law I would point to the theory of escalation of force you can use whatever level of force one above what is being applied to you to defend yourself.

Ability
Opportunity
Jeopardy

f*** the law, if these are satisfied you shoot

How many punches to your face does it take to cause a life-threatening injury?
I get it-judged by 12 vs carried by 6...
Topic is are there any accessories/techniques that make the likelihood of the big bang less likely.
Holsters
Kabar TDI, off hand
Block gun and and twist

Concealed you don't need one if you aren't advertising.

Open carry in public is a different story unless your fine with some shitweasel having an easy grab off you.

Ability
Opportunity
Jeopardy

f*** the law, if these are satisfied you shoot
250-e1598457347323.png

Get Some now.

No, but its a great idea.
Do they teach techniques that inhibit a gun grab?

You have no idea. Try it. You'll gain a new appreciation for how having a gun does nothing to protect you. I want you to go to a nice, clean, well-reviewed gym run by someone with a pedigree. These people are so nice, the nicest people you'll ever meet. I want you to be super respectful, as nice as you can be. I want you to go and take a class, at the end when everyone 'rolls' (live practice) you would usually practice with lower ranks like blue belts who can teach you things. I want you to really respectfully approach the teacher and tell them that I told you to do this, to ask for them to roll with you and not really hold back. Tell them that you heard that the pressure they can put on you is immense, unfathomable. Tell them you trust them, they won't hurt you, just embarrass you. This person will ragdoll you, you'll tap every 10 seconds. It will completely destroy your ego. You turn into a 5 year old drowning in the middle of the ocean.

The difference between an untrained fighter and someone with even 6 months of grappling is an ocean. A gun will not help you in a bad-breath distance fight against one of these people. You will die before you get your gun out.

Anyone who carries and doesn't train hand to hand is making a fatal mistake.

Anyone here (not a cop) carry concealed with a retention type holster?
No. Why would I want to slow my draw and add an unnecessary complication to it?

In the off chance there is an unavoidable hands on scuffle: grapple, rolling on the ground etc.
Don't get into fights you can't win. If you do anyways, shoot first. If grappling is unavoidable, see below.

What mechanisms or techniques could prevent a gun grab?
BJJ

If this is a retention holster - gotta push button to release the Sig, yes, but concealed no.

I just like it because it's comfortable, can be removed and sets down nicely, and no matter what I do very little odds of having the pistol ever try to fall out.

20210314_150528.jpg

You have no idea. Try it. You'll gain a new appreciation for how having a gun does nothing to protect you. I want you to go to a nice, clean, well-reviewed gym run by someone with a pedigree. These people are so nice, the nicest people you'll ever meet. I want you to be super respectful, as nice as you can be. I want you to go and take a class, at the end when everyone 'rolls' (live practice) you would usually practice with lower ranks like blue belts who can teach you things. I want you to really respectfully approach the teacher and tell them that I told you to do this, to ask for them to roll with you and not really hold back. Tell them that you heard that the pressure they can put on you is immense, unfathomable. Tell them you trust them, they won't hurt you, just embarrass you. This person will ragdoll you, you'll tap every 10 seconds. It will completely destroy your ego. You turn into a 5 year old drowning in the middle of the ocean.

The difference between an untrained fighter and someone with even 6 months of grappling is an ocean. A gun will not help you in a bad-breath distance fight against one of these people. You will die before you get your gun out.

Anyone who carries and doesn't train hand to hand is making a fatal mistake.
Thank you for the explanation of BJJ superiority in ground fighting. I do like thinking that "having a gun" (and knowing how to shoot it) does something to protect me though.

My original question stands: do they teach techniques that counter a gun grab?

If this is a retention holster - gotta push button to release the Sig, yes, but concealed no.

I just like it because it's comfortable, can be removed and sets down nicely, and no matter what I do very little odds of having the pistol ever try to fall out.

View attachment 461624
Those SERPA style holsters are responsible for a significant number of negligent discharges under stress because of muscle memory with the trigger finger. They've been banned by various LEO groups and training centers because of it.

Thank you for the explanation of BJJ superiority in ground fighting. I do like thinking that "having a gun" (and knowing how to shoot it) does something to protect me though.

My original question stands: do they teach techniques that counter a gun grab?

You're missing my point. BJJ is about awareness of your and your opponent's body. Modern martial arts don't really think in terms of 'techniques to prevent x'. Think of it more as maintaining positional dominance at all times. So yes, if you were intermediate at BJJ and someone put their hand on your hip you would def have something to put a hurting. It wouldn't be an application of a gun defense, more an application of positioning and leverage.

In BJJ any time someone reaches they make a 'triangle of light'. Extending your limbs away from your body makes about 1 million attacks possible, from throws to chokes and everything in between.

It's not just about ground fighting. BJJ's principles of physical awareness extend to standing very much.

Krav is good too, but it doesn't teach technique so much as violent application of force. Krav on top of BJJ with some striking like Muay Thai and you'd be a very well-rounded fighter.

No. Why would I want to slow my draw and add an unnecessary complication to it?
I'd prefer not to slow my draw or add an unnecessary complication. But I am exploring the concept of additional retention. Whether that is by hardware or software.

Don't get into fights you can't win. If you do anyways, shoot first. If grappling is unavoidable, see below.

BJJ

You're missing my point. BJJ is about awareness of your and your opponent's body. Modern martial arts don't really think in terms of 'techniques to prevent x'. Think of it more as maintaining positional dominance at all times. So yes, if you were intermediate at BJJ and someone put their hand on your hip you would def have something to put a hurting. It wouldn't be an application of a gun defense, more an application of positioning and leverage.

In BJJ any time someone reaches they make a 'triangle of light'. Extending your limbs away from your body makes about 1 million attacks possible, from throws to chokes and everything in between.

It's not just about ground fighting. BJJ's principles of physical awareness extend to standing very much.

Krav is good too, but it doesn't teach technique so much as violent application of force. Krav on top of BJJ with some striking like Muay Thai and you'd be a very well-rounded fighter.
I get all that. But if you're standing there and for some reason some idjit grabs for your gun. What does bjj teach you to do? Throw them on the ground and attempt a rear naked choke? Their hand is still on the gun. That is the Point of this thread...
I'm not here to discuss my complete lack of knowledge about bjj vs pjj, vs Krav maga. I realize they're great skills to have, whether you're armed or not. Im here to ask for advice regarding the immediate response to a gun grab situation.

Back
Top Bottom