NH witness: SPCA takes citizen's gun, chambers round

After yesterdays election, New Hampshire is looking a lot like Massachusetts.

I hope you are not assuming that NH state Republicans are just like national Republicans and that state Democrats are just like national Democrats. NH Republicans are more libertarian than national Republicans and NH Democrats are more fiscally conservative than national Democrats.

I don't get attitudes like this.

I'll take one Ridley over 1000 sheep willing to roll over for anyone with a badge.

+1 I couldn't agree more. It amazes me that anyone would just give in and side with the JBT on this.

I said it before and I'll say it again. It pisses me off that a LEO behaves like this, and it pisses me off that it doesn't piss more people off.

from another site, from the property owner. Note the "COULD BE" in his post. The SPCA guy is not sworn according to the property owner, and IMHO should be prosecuted for everything under the R.S.A starting with impersonating an officer.

"Mr. Sprowl told me that he was a cop for 25 years before joining the SPCA. He also said that he could be deputized by the sheriff, which would give him the ability to "detain and arrest citizens". He said that as if he was not under that situation now."

Doobie, Might be my cold too... Im sayn this..im not the kind of person that says go the f*** away just cause i can. If i had nothing to hide, and in this case if i were the rightful owner and HAD the proper whatever the frig hes suppose to.. id be like, come take a look. If i DIDNT... as i suspect was the case here.. Id say not without a warrent your not coming on my property. I guess i just dont freak out because someone with a badge and a job to do comes to my residence.. if they were to try and take something away.. different story.. id be up in arms... but to look, say everything is fine and in order.. not a problem.... just my mood tonight.. non confrontational.. low grade fever and sore.. probably makin me a pussy

Doobie, Might be my cold too... Im sayn this..im not the kind of person that says go the f*** away just cause i can. If i had nothing to hide, and in this case if i were the rightful owner and HAD the proper whatever the frig hes suppose to.. id be like, come take a look. If i DIDNT... as i suspect was the case here.. Id say not without a warrent your not coming on my property. I guess i just dont freak out because someone with a badge and a job to do comes to my residence.. if they were to try and take something away.. different story.. id be up in arms... but to look, say everything is fine and in order.. not a problem.... just my mood tonight.. non confrontational.. low grade fever and sore.. probably makin me a pussy

I can only think of one way to respond.........f*** THAT!!!

I normally have little or no patience for the Ridley "civil disobedience" Free State types, but I after viewing both video's, especially the first one, I gotta admit I'd have told the self-important fat f*** from the SPCA to pound sand and get a warrant, too. The officious windbag, with his SPCA "badge" around his neck, figured he'd get everyone to cower over the threat of "we'll get a search warrant, and then we'll arrest everyone." What a prick. And the cop wasn't much better. "He has to come on the property to check." Do you have a search warrant? No? Then go away.

him..Blah blah blah blah..... me, Do you have a warrant? him, Well no........me , then see ya when you get one. ....Turn and walk away.

If he pursued me any further onto my own property or the property which I had control of and was rightfully occupying, I'd have shot him dead in his tracks, end of story.

him..Blah blah blah blah..... me, Do you have a warrant? him, Well no........me , then see ya when you get one. ....Turn and walk away.

If he pursued me any further onto my own property or the property which I had control of and was rightfully occupying, I'd have shot him dead in his tracks, end of story.

Now that's the other end of the extreme. I don't think trespassing is a justified shooting. I think the free-stater's handled it much better.

I hope your statement can be explained by too much cold medicine.

The whole situation was completely avoidable.

The SPCA guy shows up
You confront him. Ask, “Who are you why are you here?”
He explains
I ask to see a search warrant
He says he doesn’t need one
I say you are trespassing and I want you to leave my property now or I am calling the police
He says he has already called police
I ask him again to leave because he is trespassing
Police show up
I tell the police the SPCA guy is trespassing and that I have asked him to leave twice and I want him removed from my property
SPCA guy tells police that he is there to inspect the shelter due to a complaint
Police tell me that SPCA needs to see the shelter
I ask the police if he has the search warrant
He says does not have one
I then tell them to leave and comeback with a search warrant and they can see the shelter
At the same time I tell the officer I want to press charges against the SPCA for trespassing, and impersonation of a police officer and threatening me.

Search warrant takes a while to get since they need the info from the SPCA on what it is they were looking for specifically and the judge was in a middle of a golf game.

They return with the search warrant, my lawyer is there to examine.
The police officer is taken and shown the shelter as a search warrant only grants them the right to search, not SPCA – he has to stay off the property due to the charges. Police come back say yep shelter there.
Everybody goes home.

At the most you pissed of some judge on a weekend in the middle of a golf game to issue the search warrant.

Police was just doing his job

SPCA got their wrist slapped, oh and citation for trespassing.

You on the other hand never left your property.

The video is clearly antagonistic. It was meant to get a reaction out of the cops and SPCA. It is plainly obvious.

Pissing people off is no way to get things to change and you will never be taken seriously. You are just a bunch of nut jobs that give good law abiding gun owners a bad name.

There is carrying a gun, and then there is sticking it in peoples faces while carrying. You guys are sticking it in their faces and are precisely the reasons some states are concealed carry only. It’s the equivalent of walking around with your dick hanging out.

The whole video series has nothing to do with gun owners or the govt. It is bunch of jackasses out looking for a fight. Get some self respect.

Exercise your right to carry a weapon, but you don’t have to go around picking fights with every authority figure just to stick it in their faces.

Flame away. I am sticking to my guns on this one.
[angry2]

I received a reply from "[email protected] " to my question about his credentials. My orig. email is posted too.

"We are not going to respond to any questions from unknown sources at this time. Thank you."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sent: Thursday, November 06, 2008 9:24 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: enforcement

Is investigator Steve Sprowl sworn as a deputy sheriff or other type of Law Enforcement Officer by the Sheriff of Rockingham County?

If so can you provide the date of his appointment.

Thank You

XXXXXXXXXXX

I responded to his refusal to provide information about his law enforcement credentials with

"I will assume then, that you are not sworn as a special by the Sheriff.

My wife and I will remember to longer donate do the NHSPCA. I am not an unknown source, I am asking about people who work for a non profit we donate to.

I will tell you flat out Mr. Sprowl, your actions in Candia recently border on criminal. If you are not currently sworn as a law enforcement officer by the Sheriff of Rockingham County, in my opinion, you are guilty of impersonating an officer, and I hope to see you prosecuted for it. I will be writing a letter to the Board of Directors of the NHSPCA expressing my dissatisfaction with your actions. I will also make sure my local animal rescue group gets a nice donation from my family."

Last edited:
The whole situation was completely avoidable.

The video is clearly antagonistic. It was meant to get a reaction out of the cops and SPCA. It is plainly obvious.

Pissing people off is no way to get things to change and you will never be taken seriously. You are just a bunch of nut jobs that give good law abiding gun owners a bad name.

There is carrying a gun, and then there is sticking it in peoples faces while carrying. You guys are sticking it in their faces and are precisely the reasons some states are concealed carry only. It’s the equivalent of walking around with your dick hanging out.

The whole video series has nothing to do with gun owners or the govt. It is bunch of jackasses out looking for a fight. Get some self respect.

Exercise your right to carry a weapon, but you don’t have to go around picking fights with every authority figure just to stick it in their faces.

Flame away. I am sticking to my guns on this one.
[angry2]

+10,000

And with a little Googling Ridley would know that NHSPCA investigators have no more power than the little old lady across the street

http://www.nh.gov/humane/documents/080327min.pdf

Minutes of March 27 2008 of the NH Commissions on the Treatment of Animals

In Steve Sprowls own words: (bottom of Page 3 of the minutes)

The other problem is that we have very little authority in this state. Most investigators are not empowered to make arrests unless they are sworn in as deputies by a Sheriff Department. Most of the Sheriff Departments are not willing to swear in special deputies because of liability and insurance issues. Even if sworn, some do not have the qualifications to handle full investigations and have never been trained or are experienced in law enforcement. Steve proposes we should have the same set up here in NH as the Mass MSPCA does.

Page 4
NH could do the same if the Governor would appoint our agents as special auxiliary troopers, giving them the powers of arrest and search warrants and then we could be move valuable to our agencies and not have to get local PD’s involved especially if they do not want to be involved. Presently it is hard to get a police involved and getting search warrants. Most Police Departments are concerned with the costs of seizing animals and holding animals for court and some have even refused to take on animal cases because of the costs.

Those are his official words as recorded in the minutes.

Done. over with. case closed. He was responding to a complaint and trespassed on the property while impersonating law enforcement. (ex mall ninja?)

The video people were still out of line.

Oh and in the US a police officer can detain you for up to 24 hours for no reason. After 24 you have to be charged with something or released.

Police have used this during major events to remove known drug dealers, gang members etc from the streets for the safety of the public. ie times square on new years. They pick them up in the morning and dump them back on the streets about 3am. Perfecly legal.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wow. Did you come up with that brilliant penis analogy all by yourself? That's really clever.

Wake the f*** up!

It's people like Dave Ridley and the Free Staters (myself proudly included in that category), who care enough to get involved and voice their concerns against the State, who are the sole reason that New Hampshire has the 2A-friendly laws that we currently enjoy.

Were it not for the residents of NH standing up and defending their freedom, we'd have Massachusetts-style gun licensing up here, and a whole slew of places deemed off-limits for concealed carry. Not to mention a broad-based sales or income tax.

You've been breathing Massachusetts air for far too long, my friend.

You obviously value the tranquility of servitude. You must feel all warm and safe inside.

Do you prefer to squat or lie down while licking the boots of your master?

Wow. Did you come up with that brilliant penis analogy all by yourself? That's really clever.

Wake the f*** up!

It's people like Dave Ridley and the Free Staters (myself proudly included in that category), who care enough to get involved and voice their concerns against the State, who are the sole reason that New Hampshire has the 2A-friendly laws that we currently enjoy.

Were it not for the residents of NH standing up and defending their freedom, we'd have Massachusetts-style gun licensing up here, and a whole slew of places deemed off-limits for concealed carry. Not to mention a broad-based sales or income tax.

You've been breathing Massachusetts air for far too long, my friend.

Give me an F'n break, will ya? How far up your ass did you reach to come up with this crap. 200+ years of statehood had nothing to do with it? Another reason why I think that you should all move back to where you came from or move to massachusetts and see just what you can get away with.

Going around sticking your guns in the cops face will only empower those that want to make gun owners look evil and to further empower the effort to ban them.

Face it. There is no humanly possible way that the Ridley people can be involved in so many absurd incidents unless they are going around baiting the cops or looking for trouble.

There is video of a girl on their site SUPPOSEDLY just walking down the road that was blocked by the US Marshalls when they were trying to take in the couple for tax evasion. Was it a public road? YES. Did she have right to walk down it? YES BUT SHE HAD NO BUSINESS WALKING DOWN IT.

She was obviously taken their by the Ridley group to confront the cops and attempt to walk down the road. Her house was not down there. No reason at all to go down there. You can even see her setting it up saying ok I'm going to go and then walks away from the camera (and truck that brought her there)What did this get the state of NH? NOTHING NOTHING AT ALL. DID IT MAKE PEOPLE SAY OOOO THE COPS WERE WRONG. OOO THE EVIL COPS LOOK AT THEM VIOLATING HER RIGHTS. No it got someone detained for a few hours up for interferring with a LEGITIMATE police operation. Yes failing to pay your taxes is a federal offence and will make the US Marshalls show up to your house. No matter what the sites say about taxes being illegal or voluntary.

When people see that what do they think? Yea! good for her taking on the man. F&^K the Govt! Or is it more along the lines of Look at that dumb ass! What the hell is she doing? What is wrong with people?

So far with 32 years on this earth I have failed to come into contact with the police in any situation. You guys seems to come into contact once a week or more all over the state in an orgainzed fashion. I lived 11 years in the keene area. Not once did i come into contact with the cops.

Do you guys walk around with tin hats and encrypt your phone calls too to advoid the govt listening in. I will tell you a secret. It does no good. They can watch and listen through your TV!!!!! I heard it from Alex Jones.

You are not fighting the good fight. You are a bunch of idiots with nothing better to do.

You want to fight the good fight? visit your new congresswoman Shaheen, Gov. lynch. Discuss things with the people that have the power to make change. Even more important now that they are all Democrats. If it is important enough to the people in the state, they will put it on the ballot. Then you have done good work. Right now you are no more useful than a blackfly in July.

Non-violent protest. Think about it. So far all I have seen is violence.

[angry2]

Going around sticking your guns in the cops face...

Hyperbole Alert! Aisle five!

And, if you think we won't see a massive influx of $$$ from the anti-gun groups come flooding into NH if we all lie down and allow it to happen, you're dreaming.

Apathy will be the death of us all.

And, don't lecture me about writing to my elected representatives in state government. I've done more than my "fair share". I stood less than a foot from Gov. Lynch in the state house one morning and told him exactly how I feel about the incremental nanny-state invasion taking place in the state.

Going around sticking your guns in the cops face will only empower those that want to make gun owners look evil and to further empower the effort to ban them.

Face it. There is no humanly possible way that the Ridley people can be involved in so many absurd incidents unless they are going around baiting the cops or looking for trouble.

There is video of a girl on their site SUPPOSEDLY just walking down the road that was blocked by the US Marshalls when they were trying to take in the couple for tax evasion. Was it a public road? YES. Did she have right to walk down it? YES BUT SHE HAD NO BUSINESS WALKING DOWN IT.

She was obviously taken their by the Ridley group to confront the cops and attempt to walk down the road. Her house was not down there. No reason at all to go down there. You can even see her setting it up saying ok I'm going to go and then walks away from the camera (and truck that brought her there)What did this get the state of NH? NOTHING NOTHING AT ALL. DID IT MAKE PEOPLE SAY OOOO THE COPS WERE WRONG. OOO THE EVIL COPS LOOK AT THEM VIOLATING HER RIGHTS. No it got someone detained for a few hours up for interferring with a LEGITIMATE police operation. Yes failing to pay your taxes is a federal offence and will make the US Marshalls show up to your house. No matter what the sites say about taxes being illegal or voluntary.

When people see that what do they think? Yea! good for her taking on the man. F&^K the Govt! Or is it more along the lines of Look at that dumb ass! What the hell is she doing? What is wrong with people?

So far with 32 years on this earth I have failed to come into contact with the police in any situation. You guys seems to come into contact once a week or more all over the state in an orgainzed fashion. I lived 11 years in the keene area. Not once did i come into contact with the cops.

Do you guys walk around with tin hats and encrypt your phone calls too to advoid the govt listening in. I will tell you a secret. It does no good. They can watch and listen through your TV!!!!! I heard it from Alex Jones.

You are not fighting the good fight. You are a bunch of idiots with nothing better to do.

You want to fight the good fight? visit your new congresswoman Shaheen, Gov. lynch. Discuss things with the people that have the power to make change. Even more important now that they are all Democrats. If it is important enough to the people in the state, they will put it on the ballot. Then you have done good work. Right now you are no more useful than a blackfly in July.

Non-violent protest. Think about it. So far all I have seen is violence.

[angry2]

Violence is the exertion of force so as to injure or abuse.

Fight fire with fire, they abuse their position, we'll abuse ours so long as we are free to have a position that isn't standing in line like a mindless zombie waiting for our gubermint overlords to give us marching orders.

Fight fire with fire, they abuse their position, we'll abuse ours so long as we are free to have a position that isn't standing in line like a mindless zombie waiting for our gubermint overlords to give us marching orders.

Who is abusing who here? Is it not you who call in fake reports, who go and confront police at events you never normally would attend, is it you who sticks it in their face everywhere you go? What are the cops supposed to do oither than respond to your actions?

You go to events that you normally would not go to. Family events where people are just there to have a good time. Most people would never even notice a holstered gun on the hip. But you guys don't just carry, you walk around like freaking porn stars showing it to everybody. HEY LOOK AT ME I HAVE A GUN! YIPEE I AM FIGHTING THE GOVT OPRESSION!! Why else would you carry an handgun that is 8+ inches long???

I will laugh my ass off the day the Ridley group goes to far and gets locked up for the next few years. Only then will gun legislation come down in NH not because you were out there supposedly defending the freedoms, but because you became the poster children of everything that is wrong with guns and gun owners and gave them the fuel needed to pass the bill.

If you were stopped by a cop in your daily commute for a broken taillight which evolved into a beatdown by the cop and confiscation of your gun without any charges, I would support you in your fight 100%.

But trolling and baiting to get a reaction out of the cops for your videos is just plain stupid.

Who is abusing who here? Is it not you who call in fake reports, who go and confront police at events you never normally would attend, is it you who sticks it in their face everywhere you go? What are the cops supposed to do oither than respond to your actions?

You go to events that you normally would not go to. Family events where people are just there to have a good time. Most people would never even notice a holstered gun on the hip. But you guys don't just carry, you walk around like freaking porn stars showing it to everybody. HEY LOOK AT ME I HAVE A GUN! YIPEE I AM FIGHTING THE GOVT OPRESSION!! Why else would you carry an handgun that is 8+ inches long???

I will laugh my ass off the day the Ridley group goes to far and gets locked up for the next few years. Only then will gun legislation come down in NH not because you were out there supposedly defending the freedoms, but because you became the poster children of everything that is wrong with guns and gun owners and gave them the fuel needed to pass the bill.

If you were stopped by a cop in your daily commute for a broken taillight which evolved into a beatdown by the cop and confiscation of your gun without any charges, I would support you in your fight 100%.

But trolling and baiting to get a reaction out of the cops for your videos is just plain stupid.

If we're not violating the law, the police should keep their noses out of our business. Last time I read the First Amendment we could peacefully assemble and protest. Last time I read the Fourth Amendment we are still safe from search and seizure, especially when it is a non-profit organization.

Use the laws you have or you will lose, and you won't realize they are gone until they are gone for ever.

I'm not aware of any action Riley or any other FSPer has done that could get them locked up for more than a few weeks at most, with possible exception of Ed Brown and company.

"Officer, there is no probable cause to suspect any mistreatment of animals. The fact that you can't see a shelter on a multi-acre property from a road is not probable cause to assume there is no such shelter. The property owner is not here, but I'd be happy to arrange a time for you to meet with him, otherwise you'll have to come back with a warrant. What judge will you be seeing? I'd like to be there to present my side of the case. Thanks, have a nice day."

That's all that needed to be said. What the two people on the video were doing was intentionally being troublesome.

It doesn't justify taking the guy into town in a squad car, but the response above would have resolved the situation easily. Confrontation can be done without needlessly baiting people. When you act like a jerk, the authority figure in question is often going to act like an a**h*** in response. Cops are people too, and they can make poor choices liek the rest of us.

If these people are so upset, why aren't they seeking a lawyer to sue for false arrest/harrasment/unlawful orders, etc?

Boy - there SO MUCH difference between attitudes in MA and NH as far as volunteering to relinquish ones rights when requested. I am truely amazed.

Boy - there SO MUCH difference between attitudes in MA and NH as far as volunteering to relinquish ones rights when requested. I am truely amazed.

Is it possible that those opposed to ridley and his group do not oppose their work, just the way they go about doing it?

"Officer, there is no probable cause to suspect any mistreatment of animals. The fact that you can't see a shelter on a multi-acre property from a road is not probable cause to assume there is no such shelter. The property owner is not here, but I'd be happy to arrange a time for you to meet with him, otherwise you'll have to come back with a warrant. What judge will you be seeing? I'd like to be there to present my side of the case. Thanks, have a nice day."

That's all that needed to be said. What the two people on the video were doing was intentionally being troublesome.

It doesn't justify taking the guy into town in a squad car, but the response above would have resolved the situation easily. Confrontation can be done without needlessly baiting people. When you act like a jerk, the authority figure in question is often going to act like an a**h*** in response. Cops are people too, and they can make poor choices liek the rest of us.

If these people are so upset, why aren't they seeking a lawyer to sue for false arrest/harrasment/unlawful orders, etc?

They are paid to make the "correct choices", not poor choices that boost their egoes at the time. Both the cop and SPCA guy should know what the law is concerning search and seizure....and if they don't, neither one of them has ANY business wearing a badge or interacting with the public in any kind of "authority". Both of them should have cut off the conversation, gone back to their respective place of employment and got a warrant to inspect the property.....but their egoe wouldn't let them do that.....and THAT is the problem, not the land owner or his delegates.

Abuse of authority under the color of law is a crime, you know it, I know it and they knew it too, thats why the cop wanted the video turned off...... so stop sticking up for criminals with badges. The land owners/delegates were within their rights to refuse entry and had no responsibility whatsoever to forfeit their rights.

[rolleyes] So you have to have a "reason" to walk on a public road?

That's news to me. Maybe I should try to get the police to arrest these two obnoxious women that walk their small, annoying dogs in the middle of the road in my neighborhood, if that's the case. After all, they could just as easily walk their dogs around the yard. So they don't have a reason. [thinking] Or maybe I should have them arrest these gangbanger type guys that seem to waltz through my neighborhood- after all, they could probably get where they are going without walking through here, they don't really have a reason to use my street at all. [rolleyes]

Nice "Papers Please" mentality here. [thinking]

-Mike

If you read further down in the thread you will see that SPCA guy stated in March that it is very difficult to get a search warrant for animal welfare investihgations.

It is easier for them to come and ask permission to see the place. Most people probably just say yes. Then because this guy seems to be the animal ninja of NH he felt the need to call the cops to compel the people to allow him to see the property.

Yes its wrong, but the SPCA guy also says in the meeting minutes that most law enforcement don't know the laws for animal cases. So its obvious he is exploiting this for his own gain, as well as the normal citizens lack of knowlege of all the laws.

The problem here is not the case of if the SPCA guy wrong or not, or if the cops were wrong. They were both in the wrong. I am not disputing that.

The problem here is that the Ridley people antagonized both the cop and the SPCA guy and got the response they were looking for out of them. They wanted something to happen. They needed a new story. A reason to continue to exist.

A simple request to come back with a search warrant would have ended the entire issue. They would have left, tried to get a warrant, and probably would never have been issued one due to the complaint not being compelling or specific enough. If the SPCA guy returned, you could have had him arrested for trespassing and a restraining order issued for harrasment.

And another thing is that the whole issue of a gun never came up during the incident until they took him into custody! The gun is a non-issue in this case.

Why did the cop give the gun to the SPCA guy? Who knows... Lack of judgement, adrenelin flowing, you just pissed him off, he is cuffing you, sees the gun, heartrate goes up, he takes the gun, and since he is alone he has to secure the gun. So rather than taking it and throwing away across the lawn or setting it in the dirt, he felt it safe to give it to the SPCA guy who IS KNOWN TO MOST AGENCIES IN THE AREA. The SPCA guy was wrong for trying to do anything to the gun. He should have just set it on the hood of the car until the cop could take care of it.

You turned a non-gun issue, into a gun issue by pissing people off and antagonizing them. That seems to be Ridley's modis operandi.

Come up with an idea to piss people off and go do it, add a gun for extra effect.

All your videos are the same crap over and over.

Once again they serve no purpose except to boost your own egos and to scare people into thinking that the govt is out to get them when really it is YOU who is out to get the govt.

Back
Top Bottom