NH: State House attempting to ban firearms for members & citizens, Jan 2nd 2019

I think that you can carry guns in the State House rule has changed only about 48 times now since NES started.... it's just political posturing by moonbats.....

As predictable as the changing of the seasons. First thing the Democraps do when they have the upper hand; first thing the Republicans do when the chamber switches.

Question... do these rules actually have teeth? Based on what I'm reading it's a House rule passed by the chamber. Are they going to start using metal detectors, and are there any actual criminal penalties if you violate the rule? This just feels like political grandstanding.

Boston4567,
The bigger issue is they will use the chamber ban to ban in the state house and put in metal detectors. Let's not go down that path.

Don't you mean "Put back"? There was a ban in the past and there were detectors there before.
Even while there was a so-called ban (house procedural rule), there were never metal detectors at the state house entrances nor to get into the house chamber. Heck, the guards were first armed only recently.

Even while there was a so-called ban (house procedural rule), there were never metal detectors at the state house entrances nor to get into the house chamber. Heck, the guards were first armed only recently.

I remember seeing what looked like detectors at the side entrance back in 2001 when we went down for a meeting.

Don't you mean "Put back"? There was a ban in the past and there were detectors there before.
I remember seeing what looked like detectors at the side entrance back in 2001 when we went down for a meeting.

The prohibition would have been in place then, but again, pretty sure they did not have armed guards or detectors.

A good history of the flip-floppy rule:

N.H. lawmakers allow concealed weapons in House chambers - The Boston Globe
Never said anything about armed guards.
[rolleyes]

Last edited:
The joint facilities committee has the power to ban firearms at the state house. They have done it before, just this time, I think they are going to try and enforce it. We need to stop this.

The prohibition would have been in place then, but again, pretty sure they did not have armed guards or detectors.

A good history of the flip-floppy rule:

N.H. lawmakers allow concealed weapons in House chambers - The Boston Globe
“For the last two years, no one has known if I’m carrying a concealed weapon or not,” Rice said. “For the next two years, I guarantee you won’t know if I’m carrying a concealed weapon regardless of what the rule is.”

^ I like this guy.

The joint facilities committee has the power to ban firearms at the state house. They have done it before, just this time, I think they are going to try and enforce it. We need to stop this.
Do they? The entire building?

The governor and all the executive branch operations within the building might disagree.

Each chamber may set its own rules for that chamber. The House can't set rules for the Senate chamber, and neither of them can set rules for the Governor's office.

The joint facilities commission might be able to set rules for the LOB, but not for any other building.

KBCraig, until we change a statue, this is what the law says:
17-E:5-a Powers and Duties. –
The committee shall have the following powers and duties:
I. To review and approve all joint legislative budgets.
II. To appoint the directors or heads of all joint legislative agencies, departments, or offices, and to establish the salary for such positions, except as otherwise provided.
III. To approve the appointment and compensation recommendations for the employees of the office of legislative services made by the director of that office, and the appointment and compensation recommendations made by the director or head of any other joint legislative agency, department, or office for the employees of those offices, except as otherwise provided.
IV. To establish a compensation and classification schedule for all employees of joint legislative service agencies, departments, and offices, except the legislative budget assistant and employees of that office. The house subcommittee shall establish salary schedules and benefits for all house employees. The senate subcommittee shall establish salary schedules and benefits for all senate employees.
V. To enter into contracts and hire consultants.
VI. To establish rules of procedure for the conduct of the business of the committee in accordance with rules of the house and the senate.
VII. To conduct its proceedings in compliance with the provisions of RSA 91-A.
VIII. To establish policies regarding the use of the facilities under control of the legislature in the state house, the legislative office building, the Upham Walker house, parking garages and lots, and any future facility that may come under legislative management.

KBCraig, until we change a statue, this is what the law says:
17-E:5-a Powers and Duties. –
The committee shall have the following powers and duties:
VIII. To establish policies regarding the use of the facilities under control of the legislature in the state house, the legislative office building, the Upham Walker house, parking garages and lots, and any future facility that may come under legislative management.
But "the facilities under control of the legislature in the state house" doesn't include the portions of the state house that are not under their control.

The LOB? Sure, that's entirely under the legislature, but the state house isn't. They can't kick the governor out, nor impose rules upon the governor's office.

Design has been virtually the only continual state house source of info in the six years I have been here. Did something change since you were elected KBCraig?

Calm down Francis! It was a joke. It’s what people are always saying to us MA guys.

lol, strike 2!

it's

lighten-up-francis-22862786.png

time to stop digging

as Gideon J. Tucker once said:

“No man’s life, liberty or property are safe while the Legislature is in session.”

Design has been virtually the only continual state house source of info in the six years I have been here. Did something change since you were elected KBCraig?
Nothing has changed. At no point, ever, has a rule for the legislature or the legislative chambers affected the governor, even if he's in the same building.

There have been bills in the past (see design's next post) that attempted to ban weapons via legislation, but this attempt to modify the House rules is *not* a proposed law.

BTW, design and I are friends; he was one of the observers at the recount after my election, and I am very glad to be working with him and NHFC.

Back
Top Bottom