• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

NH road rage shooting

As Willard said in Apocalypse Now, “Never get out of the boat.”

Never get out of your car in that kind of situation.

Back when I took LFI-1, Ayoob said that in a one-on-one fight with an unarmed man, that you will likely have a hard time convincing the court that deadly force was justified, unless there are extreme circumstances.

None of this break-checkers/tailgaters debate is worth it guys. If someone is being an a$$hole to you on the road I'd suggest you kindly let them pass.

Yup. It’s just not worth it. It isn’t your job to teach them how to drive. Swallow your pride and let them get by.

What the f*** ever happened to just moving over out if the way if someone wants to drive faster than you?
I love the douche rockets who hang out and drool yet when I go to pass them on the right they speed up.
People suck and most driving skills are a forgotten art form.

This discussion of lanes and stuff is great and I pretty much agree with you, but it doesn't really dovetail much with what happened here. These two guys were on a rate limited road (likely difficult to execute a clean pass etc) likely having a retard conference together. It's pretty easy to see why courts and juries view these things as almost mutual combat, because this stuff never happens if at least one party makes a serious effort at deescalating. They collide, then get out and get into a dick measuring contest on the side of the road, instead of just sitting in their cars and waiting for the kopsch to come. Had either of them deescalated they might be out some money and be slightly butthurt. Kopsch would come write a couple of cites and then their insurance companies duke it out, maybe go to court for stuff only in the civil arena at absolute worst. (probably not even likely if the damage was limited) Instead, one of them has a bullet in his gut and the other guy is probably getting prosecuted with the 40 pound box of financial rape (and possible prison and likely PP status) and it's distinctly possible the other guy is going to get raped in court too, although he'll probably get just the tip. There's many ways to end these things, getting out on the side of the road and having it out with the other guy/broad/whoever is never going to end well most of the time.

-Mike

Dash Cams people .... dash cams (don't get angry, cause no reason to get angry = when you've got everything, including all the stupid, on camera)

This is truth. Almost got T-boned the other day. Only ended up bumping at the quarter panels because I managed to pull some stunt driving to largely avoid the major accident. The passenger of their car was trying to say I blew a light. I know I didn't, but more importantly, I tapped the windshield and said "no I didn't, and here's the proof" (pointing at dash cam). He immediately stopped with the "your fault" argument when he saw the cam. That means he already knew I didn't blow that light and was going to blatantly lie about it on a claim if not for the dash cam. Best part was no arguing over fault. Once I calmly pointed out that I had a dash cam, they knew there was nothing to argue.

Am I getting this story right, the shooter was nailing the shootie's wife?

Something like that, but as polyamorists they are supposedly okay with that. Still, supporting something like that from a distant philosophical level is way different than actually knowing that dude down the street is banging your wife (or maybe you actually watched it happen). I would not be surprised if the rage was enhanced by this polyamorous stuff, but I'm of course just guessing.

Is hard as I step on my brakes you are supposed to be able to stop or you are driving unsafe

True in most common driving scenarios where the rear driver should be keeping a safe braking buffer distance from the front driver, but what if someone cuts into your lane, intentionally creating an unsafe buffer distance and then brake checking? If you are the rear driver, you didn't create that issue, and even if you are in the process of slowing down to correct it, it might be too late if they cut you off and then brake check. That's on the front driver at that point.

True in most common driving scenarios where the rear driver should be keeping a safe braking buffer distance from the front driver, but what if someone cuts into your lane, intentionally creating an unsafe buffer distance and then brake checking? If you are the rear driver, you didn't create that issue, and even if you are in the process of slowing down to correct it, it might be too late if they cut you off and then brake check. That's on the front driver at that point.
you know when the guy beside you is gonna do something stupid

This discussion of lanes and stuff is great and I pretty much agree with you, but it doesn't really dovetail much with what happened here. These two guys were on a rate limited road (likely difficult to execute a clean pass etc) likely having a retard conference together. It's pretty easy to see why courts and juries view these things as almost mutual combat, because this stuff never happens if at least one party makes a serious effort at deescalating. They collide, then get out and get into a dick measuring contest on the side of the road, instead of just sitting in their cars and waiting for the kopsch to come. Had either of them deescalated they might be out some money and be slightly butthurt. Kopsch would come write a couple of cites and then their insurance companies duke it out, maybe go to court for stuff only in the civil arena at absolute worst. (probably not even likely if the damage was limited) Instead, one of them has a bullet in his gut and the other guy is probably getting prosecuted with the 40 pound box of financial rape (and possible prison and likely PP status) and it's distinctly possible the other guy is going to get raped in court too, although he'll probably get just the tip. There's many ways to end these things, getting out on the side of the road and having it out with the other guy/broad/whoever is never going to end well most of the time.

-Mike

You’re right. The last thing I’m going to do, armed or not is get out of my truck for any sort of confrontation. If I was ever in a simple accident with someone and that someone was a raging f***ing lunatic I’m also staying put.

In fact I’m a lot more polite when armed.

Also: just in case this comes up later, Joe and his late wife were polyamorous. I mention this only because an early version of the Valley News report apparently said the other driver's wife first called in that "My boyfriend shot my husband." That version wasn't archived, but a mutual friend quoted it on FB. That shouldn't change any legitimacy to the use of force. Joe's poly nature actually reinforces my opinion that he wasn't the aggressor, because mutual consent was part of his core nature.

giphy.gif

I'm still trying to figure that part out... maybe Kbcraig can clarify what he meant by that...

If it really is that he's boinking gut-bullet's wife with permission, this is a bizarre one, but I don't think that is actually the case.... [laugh]

-Mike

Also: just in case this comes up later, Joe and his late wife were polyamorous. I mention this only because an early version of the Valley News report apparently said the other driver's wife first called in that "My boyfriend shot my husband." That version wasn't archived, but a mutual friend quoted it on FB. That shouldn't change any legitimacy to the use of force. Joe's poly nature actually reinforces my opinion that he wasn't the aggressor, because mutual consent was part of his core nature.
Are you suggesting that after Joe's wife passed away he either started or continued to do the deed with the other guy's wife? This begs the question of whether or not the guy who got shot realized that he was in a polyamorous relationship. Then there's the question of whether this got personal or if it's really a freaky coincidence that the two road-ragers were involved with the same chick.

This story is clear as mud!

For all the people mentioning dashcams, yes get one! Driving in MA is nuckin futs!

I have this one and it's pretty good if you don't have any at all: https://www.amazon.com/YI-Dashboard-Recorder-Emergency-Recording/dp/B076BXRXKY

But that's a relatively basic model. If you're really serious about it, there are dashcams that record not only in front of your car but also behind and inside. There are kits to let your dashcam continue recording after your car is parked. There is even one that uploads its videos to the internet and sends your phone a notification if your car gets hit while you're away, though it's expensive: Owlcam - Video security for your car, driving & parked

This channel has decent reviews on cams: Car Cam Central

A dashcam is one of the best ROIs you can get in terms of peace of mind.

I am not one to judge how others live their lives, and I agree that it shouldn't change the legitimacy of the use of force, but in reality, I think it would be hard to find a jury that none of the members were influenced by this. If the three were in a relationship, a prosecutor will surely use this.
The detail that I find most disturbing is that both drivers had kids in the car. I find it hard to imagine a scenario that I would let the incident escalate to the point of collision, let alone, where I exited the vehicle with my kids inside. We obviously don't know what happened, but the kids must have been pretty upset by seeing all this unfold.
For all we know, the shooter really felt as if the guy was going to beat him to death, but I think it's safe to say that they both made decisions that they now regret.

Theres waaaaay too much confusion as to.what actually happened for me to want to draw any conclusions.

If someone was riding my ass I would just slowly let off the gas and slow down without hitting the brakes. Although not as confrontational as brake checking, it still would enrage the tailgater. These days I just try to find a place to pull aside or pull over and let them by. You can't reason with some people and it isn't worth getting into a confrontation. Fifteen years of riding a motorcycle have taught me to let things go and let aggressive drivers pass.
I dont drive slow. I'm often 10mph over the speed limit on the main road near my house that is set way too low. Stupid town wide 30mph speed limits!

Never fails, I'm going 40 in a 30, and some assclown rides up my ass so I cant even see his headlights in the mirrors. So I let off the gas and coast down to 28ish and then set the cruise control.

The problem i have with staying in your vehicle if both parties pull over is you are at the mercy of the aggressor if they choose to run up to your window. I hope you can shoot through glass and take out your target from a seated, pretty much immobile position if it came to that. I would call the cops then put my vehicle between them and myself if the situation called for it and act accordingly.

If in fact this is how it played out, Marandos did cause this conflict. However, if the fist fight did end and Brown then drew his firearm and shot Marandos after the threat was over, Brown is screwed. KBCraig, he maybe your friend, but he was wrong IF this is how it all occurred.
I highlighted the import parts. I don't know the answers either; I just know Joe.

I received a voicemail tonight while I was out without my phone, from Joe's mother. It's too late to call her back, but I'll call her tomorrow.

Joe had called and told her that I put some money in his commissary account, and he asked that she pass along his thanks. He also added me to his visiting list, but I won't take up any of the time he needs to spend with his kids. The jail apparently has time windows for visits, just one window per week, and that's all you get.

I won't comment any more on lifestyle issues, except to say that Joe and his late wife were always emphatic about consent. Not just the consent of the person participating, but also the consent of anyone else affected. I never would have brought it up, except that the Valley News did.

The problem i have with staying in your vehicle if both parties pull over is you are at the mercy of the aggressor if they choose to run up to your window. I hope you can shoot through glass and take out your target from a seated, pretty much immobile position if it came to that. I would call the cops then put my vehicle between them and myself if the situation called for it and act accordingly.
The first time that a Texas CHL holder shot someone, it was fatal. A couple of cars clipped mirrors; when they were stopped at a light, one driver (a very large man much younger than the other), charged over and started punching the other driver through the open window. He pulled his pistol and fired one shot under his left arm, while leaning across the seat with the other man on top of him and punching. The shooter (the victim of the assault) suffered permanent vision loss ("serious bodily injury").

He was no-billed by the grand jury.

Motorist who shot dead unarmed man goes free Jury refuses to indict him in test of new Texas law allowing concealed guns

If they get out of their car, drive away.

***Heidi Marandos recalled hearing her husband remark that “This guy’s being an a------” just before Jason Marandos slammed on his brakes and rear-ended Brown.***

If Jason Marandos slammed on his brakes, how could he have rear-ended Brown? Marandos would have had to be in front of of Brown and Brown would have been the one to rear end Marandos.

According to many experts, saying "I'm sorry" is an admission of guilt and could be enough to end up in prison.

If Brown was 5 feet away from Marandos, who was shot - the attack must have been over at that point.

Would a reasonable person have fired in self defense then?

I think Brown is in trouble.

A dashcam is one of the best ROIs you can get in terms of peace of mind.

This.
I have one in the truck and a couple of weeks ago I got clipped by a teenage girl who made a lane change into my lane without looking first. It is great piece of mind knowing that you are able to prove that you are not at fault.

She is a stand up individual and told the truth. She probably still doesn’t know that I have a recording of the accident. It never came up.

Bob

This.
I have one in the truck and a couple of weeks ago I got clipped by a teenage girl who made a lane change into my lane without looking first. It is great piece of mind knowing that you are able to prove that you are not at fault.

She is a stand up individual and told the truth. She probably still doesn’t know that I have a recording of the accident. It never came up.

Bob
Its been said that it's good not to mention it....unless you really feel it necessary to. Otherwise just STFU about it.

I'm just surprised this happened in that little piece of heaven we call New Hampshire. I find it hard to believe they weren't both MA residents.
Yeah.....you know.....cuz manchester....nashua......and Portsmouth are just chock full of wonderful God fearing country folk that drive everywhere with God in their hearts and a smile on their face.

:rolleyes:

Yeah.....you know.....cuz manchester....nashua......and Portsmouth are just chock full of wonderful God fearing country folk that drive everywhere with God in their hearts and a smile on their face.

:rolleyes:

Road rage dbags are everywhere though, there’s no constraints on the demographics for that. There are tons of otherwise innocuous people that totally lose their shit just from or while driving....

Back
Top Bottom