NH road rage shooting

The story is confusing for sure. Are they claiming that Brown was the tailgater, Marandos brake checked him, Brown pulled around Marandos and pulled in front of him and then brake checked Marandos. Marandos couldn't stop and rear ended Brown which led to the altercation after they pulled over?

So, Joe's being held without bail. The prosecutor railed, "You don't bring a gun to a fistfight and gut-shoot someone!", and "He shot him in the stomach... he gut-shot him!"

Having known Joe for over a dozen years, and knowing him to be extremely non-aggressive, I'll go out on a limb and say that he didn't know he was in a fight until the other driver punched him in the face. (Which is deadly force, BTW, and warrants deadly force in response.) Joe's a small guy, maybe 5'5". He had all three of his kids in the car with him. If it had been anything other than a "wow, just had an accident, let's pull over" in his mind, I believe he would have sped away from an aggressor.

I could be wrong, of course. But it wouldn't be the Joe that I know to do anything else except use force only in response to an unexpected attack. This is someone who was among the first five guests in my NH home after we moved, delivered our first load of bio-logs, and has stayed in our travel trailer. He's had full access to our house any time he came to visit.

Unless he's made a change (something he doesn't do easily), I can even tell you that he was carrying an HK squeeze-cocker (I forget which variant) in a black leather thumb-break holster at 3:00.

Also: just in case this comes up later, Joe and his late wife were polyamorous. I mention this only because an early version of the Valley News report apparently said the other driver's wife first called in that "My boyfriend shot my husband." That version wasn't archived, but a mutual friend quoted it on FB. That shouldn't change any legitimacy to the use of force. Joe's poly nature actually reinforces my opinion that he wasn't the aggressor, because mutual consent was part of his core nature.
All good points, thanks for posting.

No, tailgaters are the scum. Brake checking (not slamming on the brakes but tapping the pedal to make the lights come on) is just a reminder to back off before you rear-end me because you're four inches from my bumper at 50mph.

Both can be true.

Malicious tailgating = D-bag
Malicious brake checking = D-bag

No, tailgaters are the scum. Brake checking (not slamming on the brakes but tapping the pedal to make the lights come on) is just a reminder to back off before you rear-end me because you're four inches from my bumper at 50mph.
I went to a Skip Barber two day advanced driving class. All serious drivers, lot of track time, and some serious hardware: my WRX was the cheapest car there.

We probably spent an hour trying to work through how to deal with tailgaters. One guy suggested using your flashers: but to ricers that means “It’s on.” Another keeps his foot on the gas but brushes the brake pedal with his left foot at irregular intervals. I try to take a deep breath and pull over. There’s just no good way out when someone wants to be a dick.

We have BlackVue high res cameras front/rear in both cars.

I went to a Skip Barber two day advanced driving class. All serious drivers, lot of track time, and some serious hardware: my WRX was the cheapest car there.

We probably spent an hour trying to work through how to deal with tailgaters. One guy suggested using your flashers: but to ricers that means “It’s on.” Another keeps his foot on the gas but brushes the brake pedal with his left foot at irregular intervals. I try to take a deep breath and pull over. There’s just no good way out when someone wants to be a dick.

If someone was riding my ass I would just slowly let off the gas and slow down without hitting the brakes. Although not as confrontational as brake checking, it still would enrage the tailgater. These days I just try to find a place to pull aside or pull over and let them by. You can't reason with some people and it isn't worth getting into a confrontation. Fifteen years of riding a motorcycle have taught me to let things go and let aggressive drivers pass.

let the guy pass you, who gives a shit. it's the same with people who, on the highway, hang in the left lane at 60mph. you know it's a sad state of affairs when the Commiewealth actually has the electronic signs reading "the left lane is for passing only, not for travel!"

If someone was riding my ass I would just slowly let off the gas and slow down without hitting the brakes. Although not as confrontational as brake checking, it still would enrage the tailgater. These days I just try to find a place to pull aside or pull over and let them by. You can't reason with some people and it isn't worth getting into a confrontation. Fifteen years of riding a motorcycle have taught me to let things go and let aggressive drivers pass.

That is what I do and I gradually slow down to whatever the speed limit is. If they are going to create a dangerous situation by riding my bumper, I am at least going to go a legal safer speed in case of crash. Yes, that enraged them more but I was otherwise more than happy to zip right along if they kept their distance.

Being a good driver on the track is not the same thing as being a good driver on the street.

Learn how to drive on the highway and the definition of PASSING lane and you won’t get tailgated. Mr. Magoo
That works really well when I'm on a single-lane backroad doing 5-10mph over the speed limit and someone's on my bumper anyways :rolleyes:

let the guy pass you, who gives a shit.
Plenty of times when you can't pull over to let them by. Also, many people tailgate not because they're trying to to faster but because they're oblivious to the fact that they're tailgating.

Amateurs. Downshift + parking brake = true a**h***.

Both can be true.

Malicious tailgating = D-bag
Malicious brake checking = D-bag

I find they’re usually the same guy.

I don’t drive super fast. I get out of the left lane when someone is coming behind me who is either dumber or a better driver. Don’t care.

If you tailgate me in the right or middle lane, eff you; I’m slowing to the speed minimum, which is 45 on most highways. I’ll even go as lower, but haven’t needed to.

These are the guys that want to pull around and brake check me. Which is more fail for them because I have zero trust in other drivers and only minimal trust in my own brakes (I do them myself) so I religiously keep 4-5 seconds behind the car in front. And I’ll slow as needed. It’s fun to watch thee clown try to get me to creep up on them, but it doesn’t happen. Eventually the get pissed and floor it. I hope they crash but don’t give them any more thought.

To repeat. I get out of the way in the left. I also pull over on one lane roads. I’m an a**h*** if you tailgate me when I’m in the right lanes.

Eh, being an a**h*** in retaliation for someone else being an a**h*** still makes you an a**h***. I can be aggressive but I'm still safety conscious - for example I can weave through traffic but I always signal and I make sure to leave enough room that I'm not cutting anyone off. When I floor it around some idiot, I don't flip them off or cut them out - I just pass them and keep going on my merry way. People have too much to prove out there and it never leads to a good outcome - at best nothing really comes of it. Just relax, pay attention, and don't be a self-righteous POS who tries to teach others how to drive (I'm looking at you, left-lane hogs).

Tapping the brakes to make the lights co.e on is completely different than slamming on the brakes. On a two-lane highway i will tap the brakes all day and you can go eff yourself. With that said, ill move over if there is room. If i move over and im stuck behind your grandma doing 40mph and 17 cars get to pass before i can move back - you can go eff yourself.

Anyway.. sucks for your buddy, KB. Reserving opinion until all the stories become clear.

What the f*** ever happened to just moving over out if the way if someone wants to drive faster than you?
I love the douche rockets who hang out and drool yet when I go to pass them on the right they speed up.
People suck and most driving skills are a forgotten art form.

That is what I'll try to do (pull over) if I realize I'm driving slow (because I'm looking for something, sight seeing, aimlessly driving, etc.) However, here's the thing. These people often tailgate so close that I can't safely identify a spot along the side of the road and quickly pull over... they'll hit me. If I am on unfamiliar country roads, I need to be able to identify a wide area along the side of the road that is safe to pull into, make decision to do it, then quickly slow down and pop the car into that spot, all in a short amount of time. And at night, this is near impossible. If bumper riding idiot is 2 feet away, he's running into me if I decide to make that move. So, I have to keep on going.

I'm just surprised this happened in that little piece of heaven we call New Hampshire. I find it hard to believe they weren't both MA residents.

What the f*** ever happened to just moving over out if the way if someone wants to drive faster than you?
I love the douche rockets who hang out and drool yet when I go to pass them on the right they speed up.
People suck and most driving skills are a forgotten art form.
Yep. Magoo out yourself thread here for sure. My daily driver is a big slow lumbering utility body truck. You will seldom find me out of the far right lane. Do you know why? Common f@cking Courtesy.

Back
Top Bottom