• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

NH road rage shooting

Road rage dbags are everywhere though, there’s no constraints on the demographics for that. There are tons of otherwise innocuous people that totally lose their shit just from or while driving....
in my 20's I gave a msp a break job so bad he had to go off road. he had major rage issues.

True in most common driving scenarios where the rear driver should be keeping a safe braking buffer distance from the front driver, but what if someone cuts into your lane, intentionally creating an unsafe buffer distance and then brake checking? If you are the rear driver, you didn't create that issue, and even if you are in the process of slowing down to correct it, it might be too late if they cut you off and then brake check. That's on the front driver at that point.
The rear driver is usually at fault but that's not an absolute certainty. In the scenario you describe a dashcam would be invaluable.

Well this story and thread are quite a gem. Barring the insane confusion of the first two articles, it seems this guy (shooter) is absolutely hosed.

Without video providing some form of proof he was acting in self defense, the situation sounds like he's gonna be charged and convicted.

I make it a point to not get tangled up with road ragers. You can usually see them losing their shit in the car before anything of substance has even occurre .

Well this story and thread are quite a gem. Barring the insane confusion of the first two articles, it seems this guy (shooter) is absolutely hosed.

Without video providing some form of proof he was acting in self defense, the situation sounds like he's gonna be charged and convicted.

I make it a point to not get tangled up with road ragers. You can usually see them losing their shit in the car before anything of substance has even occurre .

Pretty much. People can pull out stories of single punches being fatal, blah blah blah, but I wouldn't want to be in front of a jury explaining why I had to shoot an unarmed man and not have any serious injuries to show for it.

Regardless what actually happened, the shooter is going to have an uphill climb to displace the simple narrative of two meat heads engaged in a bit of road rage silliness that got way out of hand.

***Heidi Marandos recalled hearing her husband remark that “This guy’s being an a------” just before Jason Marandos slammed on his brakes and rear-ended Brown.***

If Jason Marandos slammed on his brakes, how could he have rear-ended Brown? Marandos would have had to be in front of of Brown and Brown would have been the one to rear end Marandos.

If, as alleged, Brown passed Marandos and then Brown slammed on his brakes, Marandos could have been in the rear and just wasn't able to get his car to stop in time, so he rear-ended Brown.

If, as alleged, Brown passed Marandos and then Brown slammed on his brakes, Marandos could have been in the rear and just wasn't able to get his car to stop in time, so he rear-ended Brown.
I'm still curious how Marandos's wife ties into this rear-ending of Brown.

On a more serious note, this looks like a textbook example or two hot heads sending an otherwise insignificant every-day situation completely out of control. Bad decisions from both of them, followed by more bad decisions. Then again, this is all conjecture - we won't know what happened for a while.

For those of you that get tailgated, why do you need to respond with a brake check? Instead of potentially causing an accident and escalating the situation, why not just drive like you do normally and ignore the tailgater? Then the tailgater will drive around your car and that would usually be the end of it.

Deliberately slamming on your brakes when you know that any driver has little or no time to respond is considered driving to endanger. You may not want to believe it but it is true.

If you take/make an action to deliberately cause or potentially cause a collision, YOU are the one at fault and liable for all that occurs afterwards.

I do not tailgate and I do not "brake check" those who might tailgate me. Both are stupid driving habits and both are likely to cause a collision that could take my life or someone else's needlessly.

Grow up and drive right.

Deliberately slamming on your brakes when you know that any driver has little or no time to respond is considered driving to endanger. You may not want to believe it but it is true.

If you take/make an action to deliberately cause or potentially cause a collision, YOU are the one at fault and liable for all that occurs afterwards.

I do not tailgate and I do not "brake check" those who might tailgate me. Both are stupid driving habits and both are likely to cause a collision that could take my life or someone else's needlessly.

Grow up and drive right.
there isn’t any way you could see that ball rolling out driving that close and check your camera footage it will show this fact

I certainly do not think it is OK for a driver to slam on the brakes to "teach someone a lesson." However, I am always aware that an emergency could cause another driver to stand on the brakes at any time.

I have seen a deer spring out of the brush at full speed and suddenly appear in a traffic lane, in mid leap, six feet high in the air. In this case, the car in front of me missed the deer by a few feet, and the whole thing happened too fast for the other driver to even touch the brake. If the timing was different, he would quite rightfully have stood on the brakes. And as the car behind him, stopping my car would have been my responsibility. I have seen similar incidents happen with children on skateboards, which is even scarier, though admittedly less likely on the highway.

Even when people aren't tailgating, the standard vehicle spacing in traffic leaves a lot less reaction time than many people realize. I try to leave extra space for myself whenever possible.

My father slammed the brakes back in the 70s. Made out on the insurance. It’s where I get my hot headedness from. The struggle is real.

Still, this story is so badly reported. Just another example of fake news. And not deliberately fake, just totally incompetent reporters.

But, the story as told that I can figure out so far, it doesn’t look good for the shooter. Luckily he’s polyamorous, so prison might be fun for him. Although consent doesn’t appear to be part of the plan.

In a straight road rage situation, absolutely. Given a fender bender as part of the equation, I'd expect both drivers to get out, verify no injuries and exchange info.

If the other driver in a fender bender is giving you the heebie jeebies, get back in your car, lock the door, and dial 911.

For all the people mentioning dashcams, yes get one! Driving in MA is nuckin futs!

I have this one and it's pretty good if you don't have any at all: https://www.amazon.com/YI-Dashboard-Recorder-Emergency-Recording/dp/B076BXRXKY

But that's a relatively basic model. If you're really serious about it, there are dashcams that record not only in front of your car but also behind and inside. There are kits to let your dashcam continue recording after your car is parked. There is even one that uploads its videos to the internet and sends your phone a notification if your car gets hit while you're away, though it's expensive: Owlcam - Video security for your car, driving & parked

This channel has decent reviews on cams: Car Cam Central

A dashcam is one of the best ROIs you can get in terms of peace of mind.

I'm actually considering buying a second one for my rear window. One important thing: if you have a nicer one that records full HD, do yourself a favor and get at least a 32gig card. I found out that my 8gig card cycles through video so fast that if you don't extract what you need within a few days, you could have inadvertently erased over it. I have mine set to record at motion, tilt, and loud sounds even when the car is off though, so that could be why. Caught my condo neighbor hitting my car door with their door once.

Wonder why car companies are reluctant to make these a factory package option. Hell, they already have reverse cams in place already. Just add one more up front and tie it to a recorder.

They collide, then get out and get into a dick measuring contest on the side of the road, instead of just sitting in their cars and waiting for the kopsch to come. -Mike

Mike, you have an interesting way with words [rofl]

I love reading your posts...always good for a laugh or five.

For those of you that get tailgated, why do you need to respond with a brake check? Instead of potentially causing an accident and escalating the situation, why not just drive like you do normally and ignore the tailgater? Then the tailgater will drive around your car and that would usually be the end of it.

This is kind of like asking why some people camp out in the left lane on a highway.

Wonder why car companies are reluctant to make these a factory package option. Hell, they already have reverse cams in place already. Just add one more up front and tie it to a recorder.

Liability. Consumer buys car with camera, didn't know it was there/recording. Next thing you know he causes a wreck and authorities subpeona the contents.
Now you have a very pissed off consumer, because the car he bought has unknowingly just betrayed him. At least if he bought his own system he's likely going to trigger it purely at his will. The manufs should put a power plug up there on the window and that be the end of it.

Dash cams work both ways, but work best in cars as an ace card that only you should know about unless you disclose it on your terms.

-Mike

***Heidi Marandos recalled hearing her husband remark that “This guy’s being an a------” just before Jason Marandos slammed on his brakes and rear-ended Brown.***

If Jason Marandos slammed on his brakes, how could he have rear-ended Brown? Marandos would have had to be in front of of Brown and Brown would have been the one to rear end Marandos.

According to many experts, saying "I'm sorry" is an admission of guilt and could be enough to end up in prison.

If Brown was 5 feet away from Marandos, who was shot - the attack must have been over at that point.

Would a reasonable person have fired in self defense then?

I think Brown is in trouble.

So a scenario:

This is a 'who was/is the bigger assh0le contest'. Both were vying for the award.

Brake check(s) and collision happen.

Brown and Marandos fight. Fight stops...or does it? Brown thinks the hears Marandos say, "I'm going to kill you, and then kill your kids".

He's 5 feet away, but advancing, not retreating. Is deadly force warranted then? You just caught a beating, and now he's threatening to kill your kids.

Who said what? Only those there know, but it would put doubt in my mind on a jury.

Left Lane is for passing, so when the travel lane (center or right) is available, you move over. They need to teach this better here. Ever drive on on a German autobahn?
passing in a lane and driving in a lane are two different things. ever been to Zimbabwe

Back
Top Bottom