NH resident flying out of Logan with a handgun.

There is a difference between a resident from the state with a FID or LTC A or B and a non resident without one

The airline didn't check whether I had an FID or LTC. The airline clerk didn't ask whether I was a MA resident or not. The times that I've dealt with TSA, they didn't ask whether or not I had an LTC or FID, nor did they ask whether I was a resident. Not once was a trooper called to come over when I checked a bag with a declared firearm.

I think the chances of such an entanglement at Logan have been overstated.

The airline didn't check whether I had an FID or LTC. The airline clerk didn't ask whether I was a MA resident or not. The times that I've dealt with TSA, they didn't ask whether or not I had an LTC or FID, nor did they ask whether I was a resident. Not once was a trooper called to come over when I checked a bag with a declared firearm.

it isn't the ticket agent for the airline I would be worried about, hell the TSA wouldn't even be a big deal it is the 1 jack off that he would need to run into that could ruin his hole day (pun intended)

That's also true. However, I'd bet if you dug into it, a "FTF" (face to face) sale requires just that: face to face, not over the phone and put it in the mail to me.

There's no such thing as "FTF" in the law. That's just the common term for a private sale between unlicensed individuals. For the 46 (I think) states where the state is completely uninvolved in private sales, a long-distance sale isn't uncommon. Or, at least it wasn't before the latest tariff changes at FedEx and UPS.

Take the damn bag and hightail it the hell off airport property. Nothing on your bag screams "firearm" and nobody at your destination will be the wiser. Rent car, drive home, don't get pulled over, crisis averted. Yes you are still doing something illegal but your chances of getting in trouble go from damn near 100% if you go to check in the bag again to about .0000000000000000000000001 if you are smart about driving out of enemy territory.

That's fine if you're within driving distance of your destination. If your BOS-DFW flight gets diverted to LGA, it's not quite that easy.

The entire issue at Port Authority airports isn't taking possession of the bag, but checking back in to continue your flight.

it isn't the ticket agent for the airline I would be worried about, hell the TSA wouldn't even be a big deal it is the 1 jack off that he would need to run into that could ruin his hole day (pun intended)

Once again, how is that going to happen? The airline isn't going to call the staties. The TSA isn't going to call the staties. The staties aren't wandering around asking people to open their bags. Many of us here on NES have flown with firearms through Logan without incident. Despite what the idiot at the State Police said, I have not read about such incidents occurring at Logan. There have been such incidents in NYC and in New Jersey and we have all read about them. But we haven't read about similar things happening at Logan.

You folks are getting all worked up for no reason. There are plenty of things to hyperventilate about, but this isn't one of them.

Once again, how is that going to happen? The airline isn't going to call the staties. The TSA isn't going to call the staties. The staties aren't wandering around asking people to open their bags. Many of us here on NES have flown with firearms through Logan without incident. Despite what the idiot at the State Police said, I have not read about such incidents occurring at Logan. There have been such incidents in NYC and in New Jersey and we have all read about them. But we haven't read about similar things happening at Logan.

You folks are getting all worked up for no reason. There are plenty of things to hyperventilate about, but this isn't one of them.

lets see I get in an accident. the luggage goes outside of the vehicle and johnny law sees the gun case and ask if I have an FID, I respond no and get a free colonoscopy from the state, you do realize MA is not a gun friendly state don't you?

There is a difference between a resident from the state with a FID or LTC A or B and a non resident without one

No there isn't. Like I said a page ago. I've flown into and out of Logan without any MA credentials with both handguns and long guns. Never a problem.

I agree. This is massidiocy at work.

Massidiocy - The fear of a MA resident to exercise his rights under the law. Often exemplified as a fear or anxiety to do firearms related activities that the person knows to be legal.

lets see I get in an accident. the luggage goes outside of the vehicle and johnny law sees the gun case and ask if I have an FID, I respond no and get a free colonoscopy from the state, you do realize MA is not a gun friendly state don't you?

Do you enjoy dreaming up highly unlikely scenarios? If you want to live your life at 0% risk, then go for it.

How about this. You get in an accident. Your stuff ends up outside. The LEO asks if you have an FID. You produce a copy of your boarding pass and the safe passage portion of FOPA.

Last edited:

As long as you are carrying a handgun, there is no reason for a gun case to be visible. Put the handgun case inside a regular hard sided piece of luggage. Problem solved.

Second, when has such an incident happened at Logan? We have read about them happening in NYC, but not here.

you are right MA would never prosecute someone who was following the law, you know like that guy that had his guns stolen in Lowell, there is nothing to fear from the MA legal system for an unlicensed person coming into th state breaking your firearms laws, I mean yes the odds are infinitesimally small something bad could happen right? Answer me this do you carry on a regular basis I mean the odds of you needing to use the firearm is pretty small so you shouldn't have a need for a gun right

We're big boys. We live in a world of maybes. Not a world of always and never. I'm willing to exercise my rights within the law. Even if there is some risk. You may choose not to.

I will not be frightened from exercising my rights WITHIN the law.

We're big boys. We live in a world of maybes. Not a world of always and never. I'm willing to exercise my rights within the law. Even if there is some risk. You may choose not to.

I will not be frightened from exercising my rights WITHIN the law.
yet you are advocating someone potentially break the law by bringing a gun into MA without FID at a minimum

you are right MA would never prosecute someone who was following the law, you know like that guy that had his guns stolen in Lowell, there is nothing to fear from the MA legal system for an unlicensed person coming into th state breaking your firearms laws, I mean yes the odds are infinitesimally small something bad could happen right? Answer me this do you carry on a regular basis I mean the odds of you needing to use the firearm is pretty small so you shouldn't have a need for a gun right

Don is right. MUCH too much tinfoil here!

Then the only good solution for you is never drive in MA with any guns/ammo/mags, ever. Fly out of MHT, never BOS. And pray the plane never has to put down in NY/NJ for any reason!

I take "a chance" every time I get in my car . . . something bad can happen at any time and any place! That's life, you can either choose to live it or isolate yourself and worry about that 0.0000000000000000000001% chance that something bad could happen if you take a risk.

Don is right. MUCH too much tinfoil here!

Then the only good solution for you is never drive in MA with any guns/ammo/mags, ever. Fly out of MHT, never BOS. And pray the plane never has to put down in NY/NJ for any reason!

I take "a chance" every time I get in my car . . . something bad can happen at any time and any place! That's life, you can either choose to live it or isolate yourself and worry about that 0.0000000000000000000001% chance that something bad could happen if you take a risk.

Pretty much what I do, no money goes into your states coffers that way

yet you are advocating someone potentially break the law by bringing a gun into MA without FID at a minimum

Bog - do yourself a favor and google FOPA. Last year, I flew to FL out of BDL. I had a 340PD in my checked luggage, which I wore when I drove back from FL to CT. I was in possession of a FL non-res permit and I only put hte gun in the trunk a couple of times. (if memory serves me right, DC, NJ and NY) While the unloaded gun was in the trunk in those states, I was protected by FOPA.

I did the same thing when my wife did a half ironman in DE last year. I was able to carry in DE and PA, and transported according to the requirements of the safe passage portion of FOPA while going through NY and NJ.

Don

Last edited:
What is your point?

I said they are not gonna call the cops, they dont routinely do that at Logan like they do at JFK/LGA/EWR. Therefore, why would it matter what the OP's license situation is? He IS within the bounds of FOPA and beyond that, history tells us that he is extremely unlikely to encounter a cop who would jam him up and make him tell the judge all about FOPA.

People are overthinking this as usual, of all the airports Ive flown out of with firearms, Logan is one of the few that I can say that I have never even had somebody so much as look sideways at me. At almost every other airport I frequent, Ive had at least one idiot ask stupid questions, call higher up's, try to tell me something was illegal when it was not, etc. This has been in much more gun friendly states than here.

Another relatively easy situation made complicated.

Take the damn bag and hightail it the hell off airport property. Nothing on your bag screams "firearm" and nobody at your destination will be the wiser. Rent car, drive home, don't get pulled over, crisis averted. Yes you are still doing something illegal but your chances of getting in trouble go from damn near 100% if you go to check in the bag again to about .0000000000000000000000001 if you are smart about driving out of enemy territory.

Thats what I would do. Worst case scenario, my trip is delayed, I miss a flight and might eat a few hundred bucks if I cant get a refund from the airline. Beats jail.

*Assumes handgun(s) in normal looking bag. I have no idea on long guns/cases that scream "rifle" (could it not be skis, hockey sticks, etc?) or what the deal is with NY/NJ port authority on long gun regs if treated any different than handguns.

Ok, so lets say for argument sake that you are able to just grab your "normal looking" suitcase off of the carousel and hightail it out of Dodge. Great, you managed to avert PA arrest, but what happens tomorrow when you have to check back in at the airport to continue the next leg of your flight? Do you try to check your bag without declaring your firearm? Obviously it is at that point where the gestapo gets brought in.

Ok, so lets say for argument sake that you are able to just grab your "normal looking" suitcase off of the carousel and hightail it out of Dodge. Great, you managed to avert PA arrest, but what happens tomorrow when you have to check back in at the airport to continue the next leg of your flight? Do you try to check your bag without declaring your firearm? Obviously it is at that point where the gestapo gets brought in.

In his solution, you grab a rental car, hightail it out of Dodge, and drive to your final destination, which in this scenario is assumed to be home somewhere in New England. You do not return to the airport at all.

Last edited:

Well, all of these scenarios you keep listing could happen, but I would say the odds are about the same as you ever having to actually draw your firearm in a real world situation, so it's all about how much risk YOU have the stomach for. If you are really that concerned about it, and it is a big issue for you, why don't you just get a NR license and have nothing to worry about at all?

Well, all of these scenarios you keep listing could happen, but I would say the odds are about the same as you ever having to actually draw your firearm in a real world situation, so it's all about how much risk YOU have the stomach for. If you are really that concerned about it, and it is a big issue for you, why don't you just get a NR license and have nothing to worry about at all?
if the odds are that slim why do you carry at all? it would be zero risk to fly out of NH if your trying to mitigate risk why not do it the easiest way?

This is when people get arrested at LGA/EWR/JFK - when they try to check in again the next morning.

Either walk out and don't get your luggage do not try to check in the next day.

If I remember correctly, all this trouble at Port Authority airports relates ONLY to handguns.

But all of this discussion relates to NY area airports, not logan.

In his solution, you grab a rental car, hightail it out of Dodge, and drive to your final destination, which in this scenario is assumed to be home somewhere in New England. You do not return to the airport at all.

Ok, that might work just fine if you were within reasonable driving distance and had no time constraints. If the second leg was going out west someplace, then that might not be an option for you.

if the odds are that slim why do you carry at all? it would be zero risk to fly out of NH if your trying to mitigate risk why not do it the easiest way?

Actually, NO. Thats wrong. All of the risk we've discussed re NY area airports is present if you fly out of NH. Same deal. In fact, the risk may be greater since Manchester or any other NH airport is more likely to be closed due to weather, increasing the chance of a NY area diversion.

Last edited:
This is when people get arrested at LGA/EWR/JFK - when they try to check in again the next morning.

Either walk out and don't get your luggage do not try to check in the next day.

If I remember correctly, all this trouble at Port Authority airports relates ONLY to handguns.

But all of this discussion relates to NY area airports, not logan.

That's exactly what I would do, but I would be sure that TSA, or airline staff took possession of my bag before leaving the airport, and if possible would get some form of "receipt" showing they have it for tracking purposes should it somehow get "misplaced". Leaving it just circling on the carousel would NOT be an option ever. Too much opportunity for anyone to just grab it and walk off once everyone present has grabbed their stuff.

Terminator - do you realize how far you are stretching this.

1) your flight is diverted to NY area airport
2) you have a handgun in checked luggage
3) you can not exit the airport without picking up your luggage.

Finally, please realize that now we are discussing the risk of flying in the Northeast. We aren't discussing Logan, since there's as much chance a flight originating or destined for NH will get diverted to NY as one that originates or is destined for Logan.

If you are afraid to fly with a gun. Then don't fly. But our crappy laws in MA should have very little to do with that decision.

- - - Updated - - -

That's exactly what I would do, but I would be sure that TSA, or airline staff took possession of my bag before leaving the airport, and if possible would get some form of "receipt" showing they have it for tracking purposes should it somehow get "misplaced". Leaving it just circling on the carousel would NOT be an option ever. Too much opportunity for anyone to just grab it and walk off once everyone present has grabbed their stuff.

That would be a mistake. They then have the ability to say "you must take it, we will not hold it for you". If you just leave, they don't have a choice. The bag was left in their custody at departure. Just because you leave does not change the fact that the bag is in their custody.

This also goes to one other thing. Don't fly with any gun you are not willing to lose. Properly insured, you will be financially compensated. But you need to be willing to lose that particular firearm.

Last edited:

Actually, NO. Thats wrong. All of the risk we've discussed re NY area airports is present if you fly out of NH. Same deal. In fact, the risk may be greater since Manchester or any other NY airport is more likely to be closed due to weather, increasing the chance of a NY area diversion.

^This, plus that fact that for me personally, I would never fly out of Manchester since I live 10 minutes from BDL, and even flying out of Logan (2hrs. away) is way more convenient. I just went through Logan last week, but didn't take my gun because I do not yet have a FLA NR. Miraculously I some how survived my stay at the Ritz without being held at gunpoint, or anything even close.[laugh]

^This, plus that fact that for me personally, I would never fly out of Manchester since I live 10 minutes from BDL, and even flying out of Logan (2hrs. away) is way more convenient. I just went through Logan last week, but didn't take my gun because I do not yet have a FLA NR. Miraculously I some how survived my stay at the Ritz without being held at gunpoint, or anything even close.[laugh]

You know that you could have still lawfully possessed the gun in FL. You just couldn't have carried it loaded. Just an fyi.

Terminator - do you realize how far you are stretching this.

1) your flight is diverted to NY area airport
2) you have a handgun in checked luggage
3) you can not exit the airport without picking up your luggage.

Finally, please realize that now we are discussing the risk of flying in the Northeast. We aren't discussing Logan, since there's as much chance a flight originating or destined for NH will get diverted to NY as one that originates or is destined for Logan.

If you are afraid to fly with a gun. Then don't fly. But our crappy laws in MA should have very little to do with that decision.

- - - Updated - - -

That would be a mistake. They then have the ability to say "you must take it, we will not hold it for you". If you just leave, they don't have a choice. The bag was left in their custody at departure. Just because you leave does not change the fact that the bag is in their custody.

This also goes to one other thing. Don't fly with any gun you are not willing to lose. Properly insured, you will be financially compensated. But you need to be willing to lose that particular firearm.

Don, wrt to the highlighted statement above, I think you may be confusing me with Boghog's statements because I am not concerned about anything other than someone else not associated with the airline stealing the bag. As far as taking the risk, I have not flown with a firearm ever at this point, but this subject is definitely of interest to me in case I should decide to at some point. Mostly, we end up traveling internationally anyway, so this is all moot since you can't take a firearm with you anyway. Since we do have a son that lives in FLA now with a new baby on the way, I can see that getting a FLA NR and the potential for taking a gun with me as being a very real possibility now.

BTW, that is an excellent point you mention about being "forced" to remove your luggage if you bring attention to it. I guess in that scenario I would have to just accept the risk and walk away.

You guys have far too much faith that Mass will follow FOPA.

This, there is always the first case just because there has not been an issue in the past doesn't mean that it won't happen.

"Sir you have a directional out, our dog alerted to the possession of drugs" search happens and now you are screwed. has it happened not that I am aware but stops like that have turned up guns.

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2012/06/19/boston-police-find-genade-launcher-in-randolph-mans-trunk/

Fly out of Manchester and avoid MA, starve the beast of revenue

100% absolutely. I flew out of Logan last year with a handgun. Worst possible thing I could've done. And ask me how the return flight went [angry]

NEVER fly out of, or into, Logan with guns....EVER. Hell, best to use Manchester all the time no matter what.

Back
Top Bottom