• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

NH resident flying out of Logan with a handgun.

George D

NES Member
Trying to help out a friend who had this question:

"I am planning to fly to Florida and will check my handgun in my check bag. I have the correct type of locked container since I have traveled from NH several times. The airline has confirmed they will check the unloaded gun.

I just want to make sure my reading of the MA laws is correct and I will not get busted at Logan. Since it will be locked in my bag with no ammo it should be good for transport.

I just spoke to the State police. It illegal for me to STOP anywhere in the state with a locked up firearm in my vehicle.

Checking in at the Airport is considered a stop and illegal."

I have NO doubt that that is how the Mass SP will view it, even though FOPA should prevent that.

If I was him I'd ship it ahead to his destination and avoid the circus at Logan. Either that or change his plans and fly out of Manchester.

Never call the state police for legal advice. I made that mistake once before moving home from Florida to make sure I was within the laws and let me tell you the chief of police at logan laid into me for "arguing the law" with him although I was just making sure I was not breaking any laws and was as polite and professional as I could be. Either way I was an idiot for even calling them in the first place. Anyways, if you drive right to the airport and check your bags you should not have any issues.

I have NO doubt that that is how the Mass SP will view it, even though FOPA should prevent that.

If I was him I'd ship it ahead to his destination and avoid the circus at Logan. Either that or change his plans and fly out of Manchester.

Remember that UPS/FedEx both changed their policies this past Summer. They will no longer ship from a non-FFL to a non-FFL (owner to owner)!!! It was a good idea however . . . until they did that.

Fly out of Manchester and avoid MA, starve the beast of revenue

Agreed.

My real worry about traveling with firearms by air from the Northeast is an "unscheduled stop" in NY/NJ airports due to bad weather or mechanical problems can lead to a very long stay as a guest of the state and PP status for life. [To reiterate for those not following all the legal stuff, NY/NJ airports call over Port Authority Police who do not believe in FOPA and neither do their judges!! People have gone to jail over this.]

Remember that UPS/FedEx both changed their policies this past Summer. They will no longer ship from a non-FFL to a non-FFL (owner to owner)!!! It was a good idea however . . . until they did that.

Agreed.

My real worry about traveling with firearms by air from the Northeast is an "unscheduled stop" in NY/NJ airports due to bad weather or mechanical problems can lead to a very long stay as a guest of the state and PP status for life. [To reiterate for those not following all the legal stuff, NY/NJ airports call over Port Authority Police who do not believe in FOPA and neither do their judges!! People have gone to jail over this.]

Is this only in the situation where you are forced to take possession of your bags again? If it is just a breakdown, and your bags are transferred to a different plane, there should be no issue since you had no control over the situation with the plane and your bag was never in your possession.

Would the worry be with "checked in" baggage as well? Let's say I'm flying with a few rifles- I get delayed. Airport keeps my checked bag on tarmac/wherever. Beyond the natural stress of losing it to a bunch of TSA monkeys, should I be fearful of any legal repercussions?

Is this only in the situation where you are forced to take possession of your bags again? If it is just a breakdown, and your bags are transferred to a different plane, there should be no issue since you had no control over the situation with the plane and your bag was never in your possession.

beat me by seconds.... basically the same question.

That is just scary, I had no idea. Have there been any cases related to this, I can't imagine they would continue to abuse their power. But then again maybe..

Yes, and for some reason those airports seem to insist on making you do the transfer to a different plane/airline yourself.

Example: In 1989 we took a trip to Israel, Logan to JFK to Tel Aviv. At JFK we were made to retrieve our bags and schlep them to the El Al counter ourselves. Ditto on the way home (and I recall we had to exit one building and carry them some distance to another building). Same thing happened in Caracas VZ while in-transit to Curacao DWI and the two buildings were ~1 mile apart . . . we took a bus to get to it.

I do not know how successful one would be upon insisting on getting a Port Authority PO to the airline customer service and insisting on NOT touching your bag, forcing them to ticket it thru and keep possession of it. I'm sure even if you win this one it will be an hour's worth of aggravation to avoid jail time!

I just spoke to the State police. It illegal for me to STOP anywhere in the state with a locked up firearm in my vehicle.

Checking in at the Airport is considered a stop and illegal."

[rolleyes]

And these folks are the ones who are supposed to be enforcing our laws.

Yes, and for some reason those airports seem to insist on making you do the transfer to a different plane/airline yourself.

Example: In 1989 we took a trip to Israel, Logan to JFK to Tel Aviv. At JFK we were made to retrieve our bags and schlep them to the El Al counter ourselves. Ditto on the way home (and I recall we had to exit one building and carry them some distance to another building). Same thing happened in Caracas VZ while in-transit to Curacao DWI and the two buildings were ~1 mile apart . . . we took a bus to get to it.

I do not know how successful one would be upon insisting on getting a Port Authority PO to the airline customer service and insisting on NOT touching your bag, forcing them to ticket it thru and keep possession of it. I'm sure even if you win this one it will be an hour's worth of aggravation to avoid jail time!

The reason you have to get your bags when arriving from an international flight is customs. You have to have all your bags in your posession when going through customs.
Not sure why you had to do it on your way to Israel tough. (maybe no code share flights?)

Interesting. Sounds to me like it would be in our best interest to "insist" that TSA, or the Port Authority do the transfer to avoid getting jammed up over that nonsense! Not sure what you would do in the case of a layover, though?

I have done it a few times. It has always been a non issue to me. I simply walked up to the counter with my luggage that contained the handgun in it and said "id like to declare an unloaded firearm". They asked for it and I took it (in its compliant case) out of my luggage for them. They called over TSA I believe it was who put a tag in the case to indicate they knew it was there and it went back into the luggage. Made it out the other end with no issues.

I fly very often for work, and often bring a firearm with me wherever my permit has reciprocity.

First, fly out of Manchester if at all possible. Logan sucks, period. I only fly out of there if I have to.

Second, I have never had a problem checking a firearm at any airport by knowing (and following) the regs.

1: Have it unloaded
2: Locked it in a case
3: The ammo can be in the locked case but must be in a container designed to hold it (I use those plastic molded trays you find near reloading supplies at the gun shop)
4: I have a printed copy of the regs from the TSA website in my case (just in case)
5: I don't recommend going up to the check in counter and yelling "I have a gun!" Better to quietly advise the check in agent that you need a firearms declaration tag for your checked bag. Some will ask you to show them that the gun is unloaded, others will bring over a TSA officer to do the same. I have never been hassled over this in any state I've been to.

As for unscheduled layovers, I have had it happen and every time the airline has kept the checked bag in their control overnight.

Last edited:
Anybody run into any issues flying *into* Logan with firearms? Coming into Manchester, they had a guy waiting at the "oversize baggage" counter with my rifle case, even checked ID. Of course that was obviously a rifle case, no mistaking it for ski equipment :)

Correct.

Anybody run into any issues flying *into* Logan with firearms? Coming into Manchester, they had a guy waiting at the "oversize baggage" counter with my rifle case, even checked ID. Of course that was obviously a rifle case, no mistaking it for ski equipment :)/
Never had a problem, myself.

Despite all the hyperventilating here I've never had a problem - in fact not even a raised eyebrow.

Anybody run into any issues flying *into* Logan with firearms? Coming into Manchester, they had a guy waiting at the "oversize baggage" counter with my rifle case, even checked ID. Of course that was obviously a rifle case, no mistaking it for ski equipment :)

I didn't have any issue, but I did get flagged down by some LEOs after I picked my rifle case up from the baggage claim. They asked what was in the case, and I told them "a few rifles." They then asked "what kind of rifles" and I responded with "AKs." They then got interested, asked if they could see them, and I told them "sure, but not in public like this. I will only do it in a controlled environment" and their interest ended.

It seemed more of a "cool I gotta seem these things" kind of interest than a "I'm going to Law the Shit Out of You" interest, but I wasn't really on my toes. Did I have anything to hide? Not really. But it still was kind of a PITA until they let me go on my way.

edit: I did just get back from a 3 day bender of drinking and building AKs, so I looked/smelled like shit, was probably wearing a t-shirt with a AK on the front of it, and was possibly holding/wearing a Ushanka. So it's not like I was trying to help my cause through stealth or anything.

I've done the same thing several other times with no incident. After this event, I put "fragile" stickers all over my case along with "Cannon" and some other gay shit like this

1330259517-eat-sleep-photography-decal.jpg

now I'm just another queer with a camera.

Last edited:
[rolleyes]

And these folks are the ones who are supposed to be enforcing our laws.

MSP like many in LE will make up their own laws to suit their desires when asked about something they really don't know. I had it happen to me ~30 years ago at Logan when I had called in advance, then went to the security checkpoint (manned by MSP back then).

I've never seen any security or agents at baggage pickup in Logan. You can literally steal all you want and unless the rightful owner stops you, nobody else will either at Logan.

I recall many years ago in SE FL airports (don't recall if it was MIA, FLL or WPB since I've flown in/out of all three) where they apparently had problems and had security matching tags with your ticket before they let you leave with your bags . . . they did this for every bag. Actually a very good idea and more so today where damn near everyone travels with black bags on wheels . . . they really all do look alike!

MSP like many in LE will make up their own laws to suit their desires when asked about something they really don't know. I had it happen to me ~30 years ago at Logan when I had called in advance, then went to the security checkpoint (manned by MSP back then).

I know, but the sheer idiocy of their answers still surprises me, though.

I recall many years ago in SE FL airports (don't recall if it was MIA, FLL or WPB since I've flown in/out of all three) where they apparently had problems and had security matching tags with your ticket before they let you leave with your bags . . . they did this for every bag. Actually a very good idea and more so today where damn near everyone travels with black bags on wheels . . . they really all do look alike!

Quite a few years ago I remember them doing this in some southern airport (ATL?), but I haven't seen it in ages.

I'd do it in full confidence of being right in the law, but I'd also worry that an airline agent unfamiliar with the process would call F Troop, followed by hilarity ensuing.

+1 for Manchester. I did Logan on my last trip, because it was short notice and American had the closest thing to a reasonable fare. When I have the option, it's Southwest and MHT. I'll be up in a couple of weeks for $208 round trip from Dallas-Love Field.

Never call the state police for legal advice.

This ^

Even the NHSP doesn't always give you correct info.
Back in the early 80's, after I got my first LTC, I wanted to bring a few firearms with me up to my cousins place in NH for the weekend.
Not knowing what the laws were exactly about traveling to NH with them, I called the NHSP and couldn't believe the line of BS they gave me. I was told that all my firearms must be disassembled, which included removing the cylinders from any revolvers, and the parts must be transported in two locked cases, and neither case could contain all the parts needed to assemble a complete firearm. [rolleyes]

Back
Top Bottom