NH resident flying out of Logan with a handgun.

Anybody run into any issues flying *into* Logan with firearms? Coming into Manchester, they had a guy waiting at the "oversize baggage" counter with my rifle case, even checked ID. Of course that was obviously a rifle case, no mistaking it for ski equipment :)
Correct.

I just got back from a long trip to the south and I brought a rifle and a handgun with me. I'm a MA resident, so the OP's question doesn't apply directly to me, but I can give you some insights.

First, checking the bag at Logan was easy. I asked for a firearm declaration card, filled it out, put it in the case and locked it. I then carried the case over to a TSA rep who didn't even open it. He just took it from me, put some a color dot sticker on it and off it went.

Coming back was about the same only the ticket agent had me wait in case the TSA wanted to open it. Which they did. I gave her the key, she walked off and came back five minutes later and handed me the key back.

When I got back to Logan I was called to the baggage service area, asked for ID (driver's license), and handed my rifle case. There was a trooper there, but he wasn't the least bit interested in me. I don't know what he was doing, but he wasn't there to check my ID or ask for my LTC.

I flew Southwest to Houston and flew back on US Air from Pensacola via Charlotte, NC. Easy as pie.

In addition to a copy of the TSA regulations, I also carried a copy of the Southwest and US Air rules. They are all pretty similar.

The card is simple to fill out. It just affirms that the gun is unloaded, the case is locked, ammunition is properly stored. Ammunition packed in the original manufacturers box is the "best" method.

BTW, my MA LTC is recognized (unilaterally) in Texas, and my NR NH permit is recognized in LA, MS, and AL. The attitude towards firearms is totally different down there. My next trip down I plan to apply for a FL NR permit.

The term I believe we're working against is "posession". If you are traveling to the airport, even with the handgun locked and unloaded in your luggage, the fact is that you could still "easily" procure your handgun so therefore you essentially have "posession' of it. It is during this time of posession occurs and you are supposed to have a MA permit. Have a MA permit and you can have it anywhere it's legal to have. I would LOVE to see FOPA interpreted to cover us from the time we get out of our car to the time we put our bag on the TSA counter. Once I turn it over to them, FOPA ends for all practical purposes until I recover my bag at the other end.

Regarding interrupted air travel. A lot has been made of this and it doesn't have to be complicated. The problem is that most of us approach this type of situation on a more logical note. We're not interested in packing heat during our overnight stay in NY or NJ but it's just logical that I declare my handgun when I re-check in.

What should happen is simple. If you have to depart your plane in a city that is anti-gun, and you have to collect your luggage to reboard another flight, you must....and I mean must find the HEAD TSA and explain that your flight has been terminated and you have to either collect your bag and reboard another plane or collect your back and go to a hotel until tomorrow. In any event you CAN NOT COLLECT YOUR BAG because, even though your are technically covered by FOPA, the locals will call it "possession' and you'll be arrested when you check in. In this case you can have them take your bag into their custody and have them move the bag forward for your next flight and you won't have custody. If someone followed this suggestion, I doubt if there would ever be another arrest for not having the proper permit to be in that city wth firearm. If you were arrested after all that, in my opinion you'd be serving some tsa/airport/state up on a silver platter to some slimey lawyer who wants to retire early.

I've been told here and at other forums that traveling through Logan is not an issue. But, my gut tells me that no one can guarantee me it's ok and the very last thing in the world I would want to happen is to be arrested for not being permitted in MA. Argue all you want you'll still miss your flight, have your stuff confiscated and have a really stinky time for the next few days. Things don't end there, either. If you are arrested for this, it would affect your home status as well and every stinkin time you had to fill out forms you'd be answering 'yes', I've been arrested and why". Think of the ramifications for not only today but five years from now.

Rome

edit: I did just get back from a 3 day bender of drinking and building AKs, so I looked/smelled like shit, was probably wearing a t-shirt with a AK on the front of it, and was possibly holding/wearing a Ushanka. So it's not like I was trying to help my cause through stealth or anything.

Had to google 'ushanka' - a little help for the other ignorant guys around here

SI_Ushanka2.jpg

I would say the cops were gay if they noticed the gun case [smile]

..... [To reiterate for those not following all the legal stuff, NY/NJ airports call over Port Authority Police who do not believe in FOPA and neither do their judges!! People have gone to jail over this.]

I know im going to get bitch-slapped for this... but... how the hell can they get away with ignoring a federal law that is pretty clear in its intent ? The travel provisions look very straightforward ...

I recall many years ago in SE FL airports (don't recall if it was MIA, FLL or WPB since I've flown in/out of all three) where they apparently had problems and had security matching tags with your ticket before they let you leave with your bags . . . they did this for every bag.

They used to do this at the NY area airports - Newark, Kennedy and LaGuardia. I have no idea if they still do or not; haven't flown to or out of them in over 25 years.

Coming back was about the same only the ticket agent had me wait in case the TSA wanted to open it. Which they did. I gave her the key, she walked off and came back five minutes later and handed me the key back.

I thought they weren't supposed to open it without you present?

Hmm. Guess not; from the TSA website:
Travelers should remain in the area designated by the aircraft operator or TSA representative to take the key back after the container is cleared for transportation.

I wish I could remember where I read that.

- - - Updated - - -

I know im going to get bitch-slapped for this... but... how the hell can they get away with ignoring a federal law that is pretty clear in its intent ? The travel provisions look very straightforward ...

Who's going to arrest them? Plus, what NYC does is offer to drop the charge down to a misdemeanor - disorderly or something - so people usually jump at that rather than take the chance of fighting a charge that can land them in jail for 10 or 15 years.

Nice meeting you the other day at HSC, BTW.

Hmm. Guess not; from the TSA website:

I wish I could remember where I read that.

You probably read it here in a previous thread. I remember someone insisting that we were supposed to be present if they decided to inspect the bag. I reread the TSA information while I was waiting for the keys to be returned and it says that you should remain in the area in case they need the keys.

They did inspect the case in Pensacola, there was a TSA notice inside the case when I opened it tonight. Thinking back to when I left Boston, they might have swabbed it for explosives. The TSA officer did not open it, I'm sure of that. In that case I stood there while he did the swab because it was in an open area of the terminal.

Who's going to arrest them? Plus, what NYC does is offer to drop the charge down to a misdemeanor - disorderly or something - so people usually jump at that rather than take the chance of fighting a charge that can land them in jail for 10 or 15 years.

I think the only way it will ever get settled is by a case going to the Supreme Court. IIRC, the Second Circuit Court has upheld the arrests and said that FOPA doesn't apply. Someone with standing would have to bring a suit in federal court and get the Supreme Court to grant cert. and then they'd have to find that FOPA does protect travelers in situations where they had an unexpected termination of their flight in a firearms unfriendly area. Since NY/NJ seems to be the most unfriendly area (I've never heard of a similar problem elsewhere, even Chicago) I don't know how likely that is.

Going back to the OP's original question:

The problem here has very little to do with the flying part. The problem has to do with your overland transportation of the firearms from the Massachusetts border to the airline check-in counter. In the absence of an LTC, Massachusetts law makes no explicit provision excepting you from the criminal penalties for unlicensed possession and carrying of the firearms, and the terminology of FOPA doesn't fit this situation clearly enough to prevent someone from not accepting FOPA as supervening federal authority for you to make that part of the journey.

Ship them or fly out of Manchester.

How does FOPA not fit the situation? I've flown into and out of Logan with handguns and long guns several times, post 9/11 and at a time when I did not have a MA LTC. Never any problems. Actually, I did have one problem. I wanted to insure a Beretta 687 for $4500 and the agent started giving me crap about that.

Stay away from the Port Authority airports (LGA, JFK, EWR) and you will be fine. If the plane diverts to either of these airports for any reason and they want to give you your guns back, refuse them.

Don

p.s. Two months after 9/11 I got on an airplane at BDL to fly to Seattle. I was flying a single engine airplane back to CT. So I had a bunch of survival gear, including a .22 Marlin Papoose in a checked bag. No problem.

However, everything else seemed to freak them out:

1) I bought the ticket the day of my flight. (I had been watching the weather an had to go once I saw a good opportunity)
2) I bought my ticket with cash. The plane owner had given me some cash for spending money.
3) The ticket was one way.

Oh yeah. And my carry on bag was a flight bag with
1) an aviation radio
2) two aviation GPSs.
3) FAA sectional charts from Seattle to CT.
4) A compass
5) 3 flashlights - (why do you need 3 flashlights, they asked me. My answer was, because 3 is 2 and 2 is 1. )

Oh they freaked out. Boy did they freak out. The checked gun did not even make their radar. I got screened 4 times, each time by someone higher up in security chain. (There was not yet a TSA)

Remember that UPS/FedEx both changed their policies this past Summer. They will no longer ship from a non-FFL to a non-FFL (owner to owner)!!! It was a good idea however . . . until they did that.
WTF!!!!

I never heard of this til now. Do you have a link to an article or something?

WTF!!!!

My initial info on this came from a BATFE section head down in DC. I queried him on something and he gave me a "by the way this just changed" heads-up. I then went to each common carrier's website and read it for myself in their tariffs. So that is where you will find it. No idea what motivated them to make this change. And the funny thing is that the two "competitors" changed their tariffs just days apart (IIRC) and they read almost identically. I'm glad that there is no collusion in the industry! [rolleyes]

I have to wonder if they were "requested" to make that change from DC??? [NO idea, just mere speculation on my part.]

I've incorporated that changed info in my MA Gun Law seminar but will admit that it is not widely known.

They're not...

49 CFR 1540.111 said:
(c) In checked baggage. A passenger may not transport or offer for transport in checked baggage or in baggage carried in an inaccessible cargo hold under § 1562.23 of this chapter:
(1) Any loaded firearm(s).
(2) Any unloaded firearm(s) unless—​
(i) The passenger declares to the aircraft operator, either orally or in writing, before checking the baggage, that the passenger has a firearm in his or her bag and that it is unloaded;
(ii) The firearm is unloaded;
(iii) The firearm is carried in a hard-sided container; and
(iv) The container in which it is carried is locked, and only the passenger retains the key or combination.​
http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/search/pag...9-sec1540-111&packageId=CFR-2011-title49-vol9

WTF!!!!

Here ya go...

FedEx Tariff (as of 7/9/12) said:
B. Firearms

1. Carrier will transport and deliver firearms as defined by the United States Gun Control Act of 1968, between areas served in the U.S., but only between:​
i. Licensed importers; licensed manufacturers; licensed dealers; licensed collectors; law enforcement agencies of the U.S.or any department or agency thereof; and law enforcement agencies of any state or any department, agency or political subdivisions thereof; or
ii. Where not prohibited by local, state and federal law, from individuals to licensed importers, licensed manufacturers or licensed dealers (and return of same).​
http://www.fedex.com/us/freight/rulestariff/prohibited_articles.html

UPS Tariff (as of 7/9/12) said:
3.6 Firearms and Ammunition

UPS accepts packages containing firearms (as defined by Title 18, Chapter 44, and Title 26, Chapter 53 of the United States Code) only:

(a) between licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, and licensed collectors (as defined in Title 18, Chapter 44 of the United States Code), and government agencies; and
(b) where not otherwise prohibited by federal, state, or local law from​
(i) an individual to a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer or licensed collector; and
(ii) from a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to an individual.​

http://www.ups.com/media/en/terms_service_us.pdf

Last edited:
If you think about it, what real restrictions have they imposed? As a "civilian" you wouldn't be sending a firearm out of state to another 'civilian' because that's prohibited. That's true for long guns as well as handguns. Sending it out to be repaired? You'll be dealing with someone who has an FFL and therefore would be acceptible. A C&R holder is buying your old-timer? No problem there, either. I'm not thrilled that the only two carriers that we deal with have set a restriction like this but it's a restriction without any consequence. If you wanted to send a firearm to your brother Charlie who lives out of state, you wouldn't be able to unless you used an FFL anyway.

If you're wanting to send rifles or shotguns ahead of you for some hunting, that's where it might be a PITA but I'll bet there are ways to do that that would be legal as well as safe without invoking these new rules.

Rome

If you think about it, what real restrictions have they imposed? As a "civilian" you wouldn't be sending a firearm out of state to another 'civilian' because that's prohibited. That's true for long guns as well as handguns. Sending it out to be repaired? You'll be dealing with someone who has an FFL and therefore would be acceptible. A C&R holder is buying your old-timer? No problem there, either. I'm not thrilled that the only two carriers that we deal with have set a restriction like this but it's a restriction without any consequence. If you wanted to send a firearm to your brother Charlie who lives out of state, you wouldn't be able to unless you used an FFL anyway.

If you're wanting to send rifles or shotguns ahead of you for some hunting, that's where it might be a PITA but I'll bet there are ways to do that that would be legal as well as safe without invoking these new rules.

Rome

Well, in addition to this complicating the "ship to yourself for hunting or any other lawful purpose" you mentioned, you're also forgetting that a non-licensee can legally ship to a non-licensee within his own state. This complicated that slightly for long guns and in a major way for handguns.

That's also true. However, I'd bet if you dug into it, a "FTF" (face to face) sale requires just that: face to face, not over the phone and put it in the mail to me. That's probably because you should be able to know who you're dealing with. If it's a good friend that you trade with all the time, then you are correct; the new restrictions do cause a problem, not so much for us here in tiny states like CT, VT, NH etc. but big states like ME or NY or PA where distances can get big.

In the real world, however, hasn't anyone here ever shipped a long gun to someone without identifying the contents to Fed Ex or UPS? Unless we're talking thousands of dollars (I've shipped one or two like that) it's just a long box that weighs about 14 pounds. I'm not promoting breaking the law but the law isn't being discussed here, just some artificial restrictions. It's like PayPal. Don't tell me that no one uses them for firearms stuff because you and I both know that's not the case. There are ways and then there are ways.

Rome

My real worry about traveling with firearms by air from the Northeast is an "unscheduled stop" in NY/NJ airports due to bad weather or mechanical problems can lead to a very long stay as a guest of the state and PP status for life. [To reiterate for those not following all the legal stuff, NY/NJ airports call over Port Authority Police who do not believe in FOPA and neither do their judges!! People have gone to jail over this.]

The trick in NY/NJ airports in the event of layover it LEAVE your bag checked! Dont take posession of it. Ive flown thru twice now without issue. Let THEM move it from plane to plane and youll be fine. If that wasnt an option, I dunno that might get hairy. I jusy TRY avoid those states whenever possible

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

That's also true. However, I'd bet if you dug into it, a "FTF" (face to face) sale requires just that: face to face, not over the phone and put it in the mail to me. That's probably because you should be able to know who you're dealing with. If it's a good friend that you trade with all the time, then you are correct; the new restrictions do cause a problem, not so much for us here in tiny states like CT, VT, NH etc. but big states like ME or NY or PA where distances can get big.

In the real world, however, hasn't anyone here ever shipped a long gun to someone without identifying the contents to Fed Ex or UPS? Unless we're talking thousands of dollars (I've shipped one or two like that) it's just a long box that weighs about 14 pounds. I'm not promoting breaking the law but the law isn't being discussed here, just some artificial restrictions. It's like PayPal. Don't tell me that no one uses them for firearms stuff because you and I both know that's not the case. There are ways and then there are ways.

Rome

Well, I didn't mention a sale scenario, and state laws may differ on what's required for a FTF. I doubt there's a actual "face-to-face" requirement, but I don't know.

BTW, this is yet another reason to get a C&R FFL. Once you become a "licensed collector," you fall into one of the "excepetions," and eliminate much of the crap associated with shipping. Not all of it (I stil can't ship handguns USPS, for instance), but much of it.

Rome

There are two scenarios where this causes problems besides ScottS' comment below.

- Ship to yourself at a hunting lodge, to avoid the NY/NJ issues, etc.
- Mil comes home after Basic, wants to ship to himself at his new duty station. He now can't do this.

Well, in addition to this complicating the "ship to yourself for hunting or any other lawful purpose" you mentioned, you're also forgetting that a non-licensee can legally ship to a non-licensee within his own state. This complicated that slightly for long guns and in a major way for handguns.

Indeed. This is a FOREIGN concept to many/most here due to state laws about FTF transactions, etc. but in some parts of Free America guns are traded privately just like baseball cards and this will cause them an issue. Additionally let's say that someone borrows a gun from a good friend/relative (both residents of same state) where state law allows intrastate shipment as ScottS stated above . . . now they can't return the gun w/o a FTF meeting due to "policy change".

The trick in NY/NJ airports in the event of layover it LEAVE your bag checked! Dont take posession of it. Ive flown thru twice now without issue. Let THEM move it from plane to plane and youll be fine. If that wasnt an option, I dunno that might get hairy. I jusy TRY avoid those states whenever possible

I seem to remember the NJ case (guy from W. PA) stated that airline INSISTED that he take all his bags. Don't know if he tried to push back or not, but it didn't work out for him.

Well, I didn't mention a sale scenario, and state laws may differ on what's required for a FTF. I doubt there's a actual "face-to-face" requirement, but I don't know.

BTW, this is yet another reason to get a C&R FFL. Once you become a "licensed collector," you fall into one of the "excepetions," and eliminate much of the crap associated with shipping. Not all of it (I stil can't ship handguns USPS, for instance), but much of it.

In my MA Gun Law seminar I discuss this and some possible work-arounds.

I seem to remember the NJ case (guy from W. PA) stated that airline INSISTED that he take all his bags. Don't know if he tried to push back or not, but it didn't work out for him.

I've given this a fair amount of thought. If I end up getting diverted to LGA/JFK/EWR, I'm prepared to walk away from my bags. If, for example, I'm diverted into LGA for weather and have to spend the night, I'm going to tell the gate agent to keep/transfer my bags. I'm not going any where near baggage claim. If the gate agent doesn't "get it," I'm getting in a cab and going to the hotel. To me, that's the critical step. I'm not going anywhere where they can say, "Here, take this." I'm leaving the airport directly from the gate area. The next day I'm coming back to the airport, getting on a plane, and going home.

But what happens to my bag in this scenario? Either:

1. (Most probable) The airline eventually ships it to my final (and legal) destination. They're pretty good these days about tracking via the bar coded baggage tag and eventually getting it to the final destination. May take a while, though, but it's all good.
2. (Less likely) The tag comes off, and bag is thrown into "lost luggage" or gets stolen, and I never get it back. I file a claim against the airline, and my insurance, for the lost items, including the gun. Even if I don't get a dime reimbursement (and I know I'll get something), it's still all good, because no gun I own is worth more than the hassle/legal fees/consequences of getting nailed for posessing a gun in LGA/JFK/EWR.

In the absolute worst case scenario, where I never hear from my bag again, and don't get a dime for them, I'm OK with it.

As usual the more the gubmint tries to "help us and keep us safe from ourselves", they bugger things up making it more difficult to deal with every-day issues. I agree that we here in New England look at firearms through a different set of circumstances than, say, Wyoming or North Dakota. Don't we all wish things were back to those basic days again.

ScottS, the one reason I keep my C&R anymore is just because of the point you made. I'm an FFL according to the carriers and that allows me more latitude.

Rome

Rome

The problem is that the law requires you to disclose to the common carrier that you are shipping a firearm (especially a handgun). So by not telling them you are breaking federal law. I do not have the exact law in front of me but I believe it is part of USC 922.

The problem is that the law requires you to disclose to the common carrier that you are shipping a firearm (especially a handgun). So by not telling them you are breaking federal law. I do not have the exact law in front of me but I believe it is part of USC 922.

You're requred by law to disclose if you're not shipping to a "licensed importer, manufacturer, dealer, or collector," so, yes, in a non-licensee to non-licensee shipment, UPS and FedEx policies are creating a predicament.

More ammo for getting/keeping your C&R FFL. I can, for example, legally ship UPS to myself for "hunting or any other lawful purpose" and not say "boo" to UPS regarding the contents of the package.

IIRC (check, I'm not 100% on this currently) it only REQUIRES it by Fed Law if being shipped to a NON-FFL. UPS/FedEx POLICY (not law) "requires" notification in all cases. From what I could tell, it only requires verbal notification not written and if one has insurance thru Historical or Collectibles (ck NRA, unsure here) you are already paying for insurance on anything in shipment, so no worries about common carrier refusing to pay due to no proof that you notified them, etc.

As usual the more the gubmint tries to "help us and keep us safe from ourselves", they bugger things up making it more difficult to deal with every-day issues. I agree that we here in New England look at firearms through a different set of circumstances than, say, Wyoming or North Dakota. Don't we all wish things were back to those basic days again.

ScottS, the one reason I keep my C&R anymore is just because of the point you made. I'm an FFL according to the carriers and that allows me more latitude.

Rome

I was about to write a post telling you that you C&R doesn't get you anything. But I looked it up and I was wrong. Interesting.
Yet another reason to spend $10/yr on a C&R license. That is a great tip.

Please do realize that a C&R does not get you the ability to ship handguns through the USPS.

Here's the UPS link for reference: http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/resources/ship/packaging/guidelines/firearms.html

Don

You're not required by law to disclose. You're required by the common carrier's contract. Its no big deal, unless the item is insured and you try to use your insurance.

BS

Dial back the sensationalism unless you know what you are talking about

Many people here, including myself, fly out of Logan all the time with firearms and never once has a simple firearms check in at the airline counter triggered a call to the State Police. Its not NYC or NJ... yet.
There is a difference between a resident from the state with a FID or LTC A or B and a non resident without one

Remember that UPS/FedEx both changed their policies this past Summer. They will no longer ship from a non-FFL to a non-FFL (owner to owner)!!! It was a good idea however . . . until they did that.

UPS also does not check the content of the packages you ship. So as long as you pack it well enough to withstand a 10 foot drop, being stepped on, and not opening up, you would be all set.

What is your point?

I said they are not gonna call the cops, they dont routinely do that at Logan like they do at JFK/LGA/EWR. Therefore, why would it matter what the OP's license situation is? He IS within the bounds of FOPA and beyond that, history tells us that he is extremely unlikely to encounter a cop who would jam him up and make him tell the judge all about FOPA.

People are overthinking this as usual, of all the airports Ive flown out of with firearms, Logan is one of the few that I can say that I have never even had somebody so much as look sideways at me. At almost every other airport I frequent, Ive had at least one idiot ask stupid questions, call higher up's, try to tell me something was illegal when it was not, etc. This has been in much more gun friendly states than here.

Another relatively easy situation made complicated.

Take the damn bag and hightail it the hell off airport property. Nothing on your bag screams "firearm" and nobody at your destination will be the wiser. Rent car, drive home, don't get pulled over, crisis averted. Yes you are still doing something illegal but your chances of getting in trouble go from damn near 100% if you go to check in the bag again to about .0000000000000000000000001 if you are smart about driving out of enemy territory.

Thats what I would do. Worst case scenario, my trip is delayed, I miss a flight and might eat a few hundred bucks if I cant get a refund from the airline. Beats jail.

*Assumes handgun(s) in normal looking bag. I have no idea on long guns/cases that scream "rifle" (could it not be skis, hockey sticks, etc?) or what the deal is with NY/NJ port authority on long gun regs if treated any different than handguns.

my point is he could get screwed between the NH border and Logan, it won't take much for a LEO to Jam it up had and break it off if they find out he is carrying without a license they won't care about FOPA. it isn't worth the risk and would be money well spent to fly out of NH

Take the damn bag and hightail it the hell off airport property. Nothing on your bag screams "firearm" and nobody at your destination will be the wiser. Rent car, drive home, don't get pulled over, crisis averted.

Big Ol' Bag of Attitude aside, this is another viable solution for those of us in the Northeast (i.e. driveable distance from LGA/JFK/EWR) who might find themselves in a worst-case, weather divert situation. Good idea.

Last edited:
There is a difference between a resident from the state with a FID or LTC A or B and a non resident without one
Yes, that was sort of my "point" if you will. I don't think a United ticket agent is going to give you a problem, but what about the Mass Pike if you get in an accident, or otherwise incapacitated. You would then be inviting a Statie into your life, with unpredictable consequences. Or if you are at the check-in counter and you get upset and "threaten" someone with a bad word or two.

You get the idea, surely, that MA is NOT a gun-friendly environment.

Back
Top Bottom