• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

NH non resident permit?

Finally got it. Here's the time line:
11/17: Mailed check
01/04: Check cashed
01/07: License arrived

They must have mailed
the license the same day they cashed the check.

Finally got it. Here's the time line:

They must have mailed
the license the same day they cashed the check.

That's all well and fine, but the most important piece of information is missing. When was he license issued? When your check was cashed means nothing.

That's all well and fine, but the most important piece of information is missing. When was he license issued? When your check was cashed means nothing.
Fair question. It looks like they trusted the check wouldn't bounce.

01/02: License Issued

I mailed my application and check the 11th of nov. I waited till the end of dec to call on status. Also left an email. Someone got back to me on the 9 th of Jan. She said they were backed up and were getting to the end of November permits. Oddly , she also said she couldn't find me in the database. She asked when I sent in the app. I responded to the email and told her the info she needed. Never heard back. I called back again to no avail. I got home on sat and it was in the mailbox. It was issued on the 10th. One day after her email. Guess everything checked out. I'll call that a win.

Merdiesel, glad it finally came. Weird how I mailed mine 8 days after you but mine was issued 8 days before you. Somehow I outran you by 16 days[thinking]

Last edited:
Merdiesel, glad it finally came. Weird how I mailed mine 8 days after you but mine was issued 8 days before you. Somehow I outran you by 16 days[thinking]

If I didn't have bad luck , I wouldn't have any luck at all. I went back and checked my money order receipt. I was mistaken. It was dated the 17th. The same day I mailed it. We actually sent it in the same day. Still beat me

Sometimes paperwork gets lost or stuck in the pile. My Maine permit was the same way. No response, no response, called, issued.

Mailed 12/28/16
Called yesterday 1/26/17

She said they are working in Apps they received first week of Dec 2016..told me I will probably see it in 3 weeks....

Ugh

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I wonder if they'll be a sudden drop in non-res submissions since the chance of Constitutional Carry becoming law in the next month or two is very high.
I wonder if there will be a sudden inrush of calls from applicants asking for their check back when SB12 passes.

The state can use the money, staff should be focused on getting envelopes open and check cashed while we still have this non-resident revenue stream flowing!

If con carry passes when is the enactment date? I know in many cases there's a delay. Maine went several months before it was officially valid.

NR carry permit generates ~$1M for general fund annually

Assuming the Governor signs it, will they still issue Out of State LTCs? I ask because my NH out of state gets me PA, which I need.
Sununu says that once it clears the house, he will sign the bill.

Nothing in the bill to prevent issuing LTCs to residents or non-residents, just makes having the LTC optional. So State Police will still issue, and will no longer have the excuse of a backlog for why it takes so long. They'll have to go back to saying "we're out of the little plastic cards for the printer" or make up a new one.

LegiScan said:
The State Police Permits and Licensing Unit issued 8,923 non-resident licenses in FY 2016. The four year license at a cost of $100 has generated nearly $1,000,000 of revenue deposited into the general fund in each of the last three fiscal years. The repeal of RSA 159:4 and the proposed change from a four year license to a five year license in RSA 159:6 would result in a significant decline in general fund revenue. Although a non-resident pistol license would still be available under the proposed law, and would extend the expiration by one year (to five years), it would not be required under the amended version of RSA 159:6. Therefore, it would be highly likely that the number of licenses issued would drop dramatically and result in a significant reduction of revenue to the general fund, likely to be close to the total amount of revenue currently received. There would be less permits to issue, therefore, there would be an expenditure decrease as less resources would be needed. However, the amount of revenue decrease is indeterminable, and as a result, the associated amount of the expenditure decrease is also indeterminable.

NH resident pistol licenses are issued locally with a cost of $10 for a four-year license. This revenue total is indeterminable as there is no mechanism in place to track and obtain this figure. Currently, this revenue is designated for the use of the local law enforcement agencies. The amendment to RSA 159:6 extends the expiration of this license by one year, and as with non-resident pistol licenses, the need to obtain a resident pistol license would be obsolete other than for the purpose of utilizing reciprocity agreements within other states. The reenacted version of RSA 159:6 would dramatically reduce this funding source to local cities and towns. The NH Municipal Association states that most municipalities issue between 20 to 400 licenses annually, with smaller towns issuing fewer and larger cities issuing more. Cities like Manchester and Nashua typically issue about 1,500 resident pistol licenses each year.

Last edited:
Sununu says that once it clears the house, he will sign the bill.

Nothing in the bill to prevent issuing LTCs to residents or non-residents, just makes having the LTC optional. So State Police will still issue, and will no longer have the excuse of a backlog for why it takes so long. They'll have to go back to saying "we're out of the little plastic cards for the printer" or make up a new one.
+1 for the great info. Thanks!

I used to have a PA non-res LTC but they changed to requiring that you applyin person, and I needed NH anyway since PA didn't get me NH.

Mailed 12/28/16
Called yesterday 1/26/17

She said they are working in Apps they received first week of Dec 2016..told me I will probably see it in 3 weeks....

Ugh

hey at least you spoke with someone!
Mailed 12/9/16
called 2/1/17

based on the conversation you had with them mine should be here any day

anyone know the backlog . I mailed my renewal on 1/6/17 still waiting it expires 2/27/17

Sent application in 12/9/16 for the non resident. Got a call from the state police 2/8/17 saying they printed the license that day. So it took me 9 weeks and I still haven't recieved it in the mail. Renew may be quicker.

Well, received my Non Res..today, we'll that seems like a waste of $100 bucks now...but hopefully reciprocity with other states makes it worth it

Well, received my Non Res..today, we'll that seems like a waste of $100 bucks now...but hopefully reciprocity with other states makes it worth it

I'm definitely renewing as getting reciprocity with PA as the "gateway" to traveling cross country (and carrying) with reciprocity/CC was helpful.

I'm definitely renewing as getting reciprocity with PA as the "gateway" to traveling cross country (and carrying) with reciprocity/CC was helpful.

You could just get a PA permit, it is 1/5 the cost and offers the same reciprocity as a NH non-resident.

Also there is no guarantee when the time comes that PA will renew reciprocity with NH for non-resident permits due to the lack of a home state permit requirement for issue since last year's ruling.

I doubt I will renew my NH and just keep my PA and FL.

You could just get a PA permit, it is 1/5 the cost and offers the same reciprocity as a NH non-resident.

Also there is no guarantee when the time comes that PA will renew reciprocity with NH for non-resident permits due to the lack of a home state permit requirement for issue since last year's ruling.

I doubt I will renew my NH and just keep my PA and FL.

Until the agreement changes, NH is easier. PA requires you to apply in person, so it's at least a day trip.

Back
Top Bottom