• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

NH non resident permit?

Guilty as charged. I got ME and NH crossed in my brain.
HideUnderChair.gif
I edited the erroneous post.

See, this is why I maintain my ME and NH licenses. It cuts down on the number fussy little details to remember.

It's easy to do, I'm heading to Maine soon and had to double check myself, I couldn't remember 100% which one was duty to inform

I don't believe you are allowed to carry in Baxter State Park even with a license. For whatever reason, ME regulates Baxter it's NYC or CA or something. It's ridiculous. Pretty sure it's only a civil violation though.

I am not 100% about Baxter State Park at this point with a license. I'd have to do more research on that, but it's not very high on my "to do" list. We spent a week in Bar Harbor and 3 of those days in Acadia National Park, so I did my due diligence in studying the law for that location.

I am not 100% about Baxter State Park at this point with a license. I'd have to do more research on that, but it's not very high on my "to do" list. We spent a week in Bar Harbor and 3 of those days in Acadia National Park, so I did my due diligence in studying the law for that location.

http://legislature.maine.gov/statutes/12/title12sec903.html

§903. Rules1. Adoption of rules. The Baxter State Park Authority may adopt rules pursuant to the Maine Administrative Procedure Act it considers necessary for the protection and safety of the public or for the proper observance of the conditions and restrictions expressed in the deeds of trust of the Baxter State Park to the State.
[ 2003, c. 452, Pt. F, §2 (NEW); 2003, c. 452, Pt. X, §2 (AFF) .]
2. Violation of rules and permits. A person who violates any of the rules of the Baxter State Park Authority or a condition of a permit issued under those rules commits a civil violation for which a fine of not more than $1,000 may be adjudged.

https://baxterstatepark.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/RulesRegsBSP2017.pdf

3.1 Hunting and trapping are prohibited within the Park. Use or possession of any firearm,bow and arrow, sling shot, or air rifle or pistol is prohibited. Firearms may be transported
through the Park if kept in a car trunk, enclosed in a case, or otherwise inaccessible to
use.

As for Acadia, you are fine so long as you carry both concealed and have a license.

http://www.mainelegislature.org/legis/statutes/12/title12sec756.html

In relevant part

2. Possession of firearms. A person may not use or possess a firearm in Acadia National Park except:

G. When the firearm is a concealed firearm carried by a person to whom a valid permit to carry a concealed firearm has been issued as provided in Title 25, chapter 252. The person must have in that person's possession the permit as required in Title 25, section 2003. [2009, c. 607, §1 (NEW).]

Regarding Baxter, the 2017 rules still prohibit firearms from most of the park. There are specific areas that are exceptions.

That, and the prohibition against bringing dogs into the park, kept us from visiting the park a year or two back.

Baxter is a weird, special, case in Maine. Lovely place, but a couple of unfortunate rules.

Has anyone recently renewed and if so what was the time frame from when you sent the application in till the time you received your permit?
My lic. expires in Jan. and just trying to get an idea if I should send it in now or wait another month or two.

Thank you Len. Len do you know if they are getting the new license back before the old one expires?

It seems to vary with the season (vacations, holidays, etc.), so my example may not be the same as yours. IIRC there are only a couple of people in NH (or ME) that handle the NR licenses, so if one is out sick/vacation/etc. stuff backs up quickly.

It seems to vary with the season (vacations, holidays, etc.), so my example may not be the same as yours. IIRC there are only a couple of people in NH (or ME) that handle the NR licenses, so if one is out sick/vacation/etc. stuff backs up quickly.

I guess I'll just have to wait till I get the paperwork and send it in as soon as possible. There is no grace period for NH correct? Thanks for the information.

I guess I'll just have to wait till I get the paperwork and send it in as soon as possible. There is no grace period for NH correct? Thanks for the information.

Well there is the part about not needing a permit in NH at all (except for a couple very small exceptions).

Well there is the part about not needing a permit in NH at all (except for a couple very small exceptions).

True but you know how things go so I'd rather have it before but if I don't I wouldn't let it keep me from going up there.

True but you know how things go so I'd rather have it before but if I don't I wouldn't let it keep me from going up there.

But you don't need it. How do things go when it's legal for you to conceal carry without a PRL in NH now? Please don't start that Massprudence bullshit in NH.

But you don't need it. How do things go when it's legal for you to conceal carry without a PRL in NH now? Please don't start that Massprudence bullshit in NH.

Because of other laws in NH, it's still illegal to carry within 1000' of a school (and most of us NRs would have no idea where a school is located (fed law exemption is strictly when you hold a license issued by the state where they are issued by LE - NHSP in the case of NRs) as we drive in NH) and on off-road vehicles (hunting law)

See Lens post. You may be freer than we are here but you still have some restrictions. Therefore it's safer to have the license so you don't get caught up in New Hampshire's restrictions.

- - - Updated - - -

Because of other laws in NH, it's still illegal to carry within 1000' of a school (and most of us NRs would have no idea where a school is located (fed law exemption is strictly when you hold a license issued by the state where they are issued by LE - NHSP in the case of NRs) as we drive in NH) and on off-road vehicles (hunting law)

Thank you Len!

You may want to double check that 1000' of a school thing. I believe the only place you can't carry up here is a courthouse.

It's federal law. You need a permit to be GFSZ exempt.

That said, I rate the probability of enforcement at being zero, unless you're actually doing something at the school while carrying a firearm.

-Mike

See Lens post. You may be freer than we are here but you still have some restrictions. Therefore it's safer to have the license so you don't get caught up in New Hampshire's restrictions.

LOL you going to be visiting public K-12 schools while/and/or riding around on an ATV in NH? I've been going to NH 1-3 times a month for most of my adult life and I've never done either of those things. Maybe I've been within 1000 feet of a school, but GFSZ has never actually been prosecuted that way, nor will it likely ever be at least not in NH.

-Mike

You may want to double check that 1000' of a school thing. I believe the only place you can't carry up here is a courthouse.

Check the Federal GFSZ law, it applies in NH just as it applies in every other state. NH AG and NH SP (IIRC) have offered an opinion that holding a NH license allows "free travel" within that 1000' exclusionary zone. BTW, this has nothing to do with carrying ON school property (or NH RSAs).

People cite United States v Tait from 16+ years ago, seem to forget the Felon angle

It'd be tough to accidentally find yourself carrying in a courthouse, or riding an ATV/snowmobile.
Check the Federal GFSZ law, it applies in NH just as it applies in every other state. NH AG and NH SP (IIRC) have offered an opinion that holding a NH license allows "free travel" within that 1000' exclusionary zone. BTW, this has nothing to do with carrying ON school property (or NH RSAs).
That's the way everybody reads Federal law, OTOH, has there ever been a Federal GFSZ prosecution that wasn't also tied to a drug case or Felon in possession charge?

Last edited:
That's the way everybody reads Federal law, OTOH, has there ever been a Federal prosecution that wasn't also tied to a drug case or Felon in possession charge?

There are a bunch of fed gun law cases that don't have anything to do with FIP or drugs. Just ask Randy Weaver, or David Olofson, etc.

That said, GFSZ is probably the least prosecuted federal gun law in existence, only one "less prosecuted" than that is USC 922R. [rofl] I don't think there has ever been a stand alone USC 922R case nor conviction that didn't involve a licensed manufacturer.

-Mike

It'd be tough to accidentally find yourself carrying in a courthouse, or riding an ATV/snowmobile.

That's the way everybody reads Federal law, OTOH, has there ever been a Federal prosecution that wasn't also tied to a drug case or Felon in possession charge?

As for an ATV/snowmobile, since I don't do any off-roading at all I haven't looked into NH issues here beyond the surface issue. I can speak to MA law on this (and NH may or may not be the same) as a student in my Mass Gun Law Seminar asked me to research this . . .

In MA, if you take your Jeep (as an example) off the road and onto trails, the hunting law applies (no loaded guns of any sort and all must be cased). So yes, I can see someone "forgetting to unload and case as they drive off a roadway onto a trail.

GFSZ I agree the likelihood of prosecution for this is really 0%! But for residents it is $10 to be able to do both of the above (MA doesn't allow armed on trails in any MV even with a LTC), so cheap enough insurance. For NRs at $100, some may do it while others may decide it isn't worth it.

I was under the impression that you can carry on school grounds if you have a license. Am I wrong?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I was under the impression that you can carry on school grounds if you have a license. Am I wrong?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

No, you are not wrong. Well maybe not.

18 U.S. Code § 922 - Unlawful acts

(A) It shall be unlawful for any individual knowingly to possess a firearm that has moved in or that otherwise affects interstate or foreign commerce at a place that the individual knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is a school zone.

(B) Subparagraph (A) does not apply to the possession of a firearm—

(ii) if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located or a political subdivision of the State, and the law of the State or political subdivision requires that, before an individual obtains such a license, the law enforcement authorities of the State or political subdivision verify that the individual is qualified under law to receive the license.

What exactly does the bold portion mean? Does the NH RSA comply with this? No idea.

If it does, than you would indeed be correct in that with a license you could carry on school grounds.

Also for reference

(25) The term “school zone” means—
(A) in, or on the grounds of, a public, parochial or private school; or
(B) within a distance of 1,000 feet from the grounds of a public, parochial or private school.

(26) The term “school” means a school which provides elementary or secondary education, as determined under State law.

So on or within 1000 feet of an elementary or secondary school. It doesn't apply to colleges and universities.

There are a bunch of fed gun law cases that don't have anything to do with FIP or drugs. Just ask Randy Weaver, or David Olofson, etc.

That said, GFSZ is probably the least prosecuted federal gun law in existence, only one "less prosecuted" than that is USC 922R. [rofl] I don't think there has ever been a stand alone USC 922R case nor conviction that didn't involve a licensed manufacturer.
Sorry, I meant "Federal GFSZ prosecution", as opposed to "State GFSZ prosecution" e.g. Massachusetts persecution under the "School" clause in MGL Chapter 269: Section 10

-Mike

Although I have no love for 922r or the ATF in general, if anyone were able to put together a technically correct prosecution for an honest-to-God 922r violation, with proper parts ID, parts count, US vs non-US pedigree, etc., I'd be in awe and probably shake their hand.

Back
Top Bottom