NH non resident permit?

I have to ask so don't shoot me. I have my LTC with NH but am from ma...what states does the nh license cover? also I see a clause in the new bill about atv use, I carry when im on my atv up there, should I just continue to keep my nh ltc?

If you have a smartphone, get one of the apps. Here's the one I use:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ryan.ccw
You input the LTCs you have and it gives you a map of all the states you can carry in. It's nice for trying scenarios to see what non-resident state LTCs get you other states via reciprocity.

I'm not clear on what LTCs you have. If you have MA in-state and NH non-resident you are good in 33 states. You are OK in PA, VA, WVA, NC, GA, OH, KY and a bunch more west of there. On the east coast you are not good in NY, CT, RI, NJ, MD, DE, DC, SC, FL (those kind of go without saying).

If all you have is a NH in-state, you are good in 30 states. You loose MA but gain FL and everything else you loose is west of this time zone.

So, can I obtain an LTC in NH if I don't have one in MA? I have an FID in MA. I do own homes in both states though.

Thanks

Yes. But you don't need one anymore. NH no longer requires a permit to carry.

Thanks, So, even for a non-resident?

Yes, for everyone that isn't a felon, with the excxeptions of like ATVs and school zones.

However I would still need an LTC to purchase in NH though I would think?

That has absolutely nothing to do with an NH PR license. Nobody uses a NH PR license to buy anything in NH, at least not at the dealer level.

-Mike

Thanks, So, even for a non-resident? However I would still need an LTC to purchase in NH though I would think?

IANAL

Permit isn't required to carry, regardless of whether you are a resident or not.

Purchasing is less clear to me. If you are not a resident than a purchase is handled just like any non-resident. Anything you buy would have to be legal for you in the state you reside in. Handguns would have to be shipped to an FFL in MA, but you only have an FID so you can't buy those. BUT you mentioned homes in both MA and NH so I'm unclear as to if you are a NH resident. I would guess that if you showed a MA drivers license and wanted to buy a handgun based on you NH address, the FFL is unlikely to sell it to you (and it may be illegal, I don't know).

Thanks! That makes sense. Still a MA resident at this point in time. What happens a couple of years from now when I turn 65 time will tell. Only hold a MA FID card so would need to obtain a LTC here as long as I am claiming a MA residence.

Can someone explain the "ATV" issue? I have a NH non resident license and ride up there a lot. I was not aware I could not carry while riding.

I never heard of this before, but here it is:
http://www.eregulations.com/newhampshire/ohrv/operation/

So I guess I'll keep renewing my NH out of state.

It Is Unlawful To:
•Operate any OHRV or snowmobile on the property of another without written landowner permission.
•Operate so as to endanger any person or damage property.
•Operate on railroad tracks or within the railroad right-of-way unless the area is posted as a trail.
•Operate on airports, airport runways or cemeteries.
•Operate on any road or within the right-of-way except where authorized and posted.
•Chase or harass wildlife.
•Operate on town roads or sidewalks unless posted for OHRVs or snowmobiles.
•Operate on or across any highway bridge unless posted as open for OHRVs or snowmobiles.
•Tow any person or sled without a rigid hitch.
•Operate while driver’s license is under suspension/revocation in N.H. or any other state or Canadian Province.
•Skim across open water.
•Have or carry a loaded gun, cocked crossbow, etc., in or on a vehicle or trailer towed by the same, pursuant to RSA 207:7, II 215-A:20 and 215-C:35 (except a pistol carried under a permit pursuant to RSA 159).

it sounds as though I need to retain my license for NH also or stop carrying while on the ATV. Oddly I was open carry last summer and stopped to talk to a LEO up in NH and he never even asked for my license.

So if I have a restricted LTC-A (target/hunting) in MA and I cross over the border of NH I can legally conceal carry with no issues? If I get pulled over would I have to tell the officer I'm carrying?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So if I have a restricted LTC-A (target/hunting) in MA and I cross over the border of NH I can legally conceal carry with no issues? If I get pulled over would I have to tell the officer I'm carrying?

no issues and no

Your Mass LTC means nothing in NH - it isn't part of the equation.
[horse]

Since the law changed 2/22/17… My NH non resident is useless? It will expire soon. Any benefits to renew?

Oh I also have Utah license. Worth to upgrade NH non res license??

Thanks guys

Sent from my LEX727 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Since the law changed 2/22/17… My NH non resident is useless? It will expire soon. Any benefits to renew?

Thanks guys

I believe NH non res gives you conceal carry reciprocity with Pennsylvania.

Thanks guys

I'd renew it just so I wouldn't have to remember the ATV restriction and [STRIKE= ]with it you don't have to inform a cop when stopped[/STRIKE]. As Len says below, NH has no duty to inform. I confused NH with ME. In ME you have no duty to inform IF you have a ME permit.

Last edited:
I'd renew it just so I wouldn't have to remember the ATV restriction and with it you don't have to inform a cop when stopped.

And without it you do NOT have to notify a cop when stopped either!

This mis-information is rampant, just like wrt MA gun laws! [sad2]

LE in NH have been told that any NH-issued P&R, resident or non-resident, satisfies the requirements of the Federal GFSZA. Not that NH is rife with feds looking to bust CCW in school zones.
I'd renew it just so I wouldn't have to remember the ATV restriction and with it you don't have to inform a cop when stopped.
For the latter, you're thinking of Maine; New Hampshire has no duty to inform.

Wow.. stop and think about something here: Just look at all the (well-meaning by well-intentioned fellow members, friends etc) information, misinformation, corrections, assertions, interpretations, misinterpretations, etc etc, just in this one small tiny thread on this one small tiny gun forum...

Is it any wonder that people get "jammed up" by various BS and non-reciprocal laws and rules and (etc etc etc)... You literallly need a personal assistant/gun-nanny/Siri Smartphone gun app/WazeGunz/etc traveling with you if you're carrying across/throughout the USA, and even then you can STILL end up f*cked if you neglect to dot an "i", cross a "t", etc...(And of course law enforcement/departments of "public safety"/etc absolutely LOVE the confusion it all causes).

Just sayin'

And without it you do NOT have to notify a cop when stopped either!

This mis-information is rampant, just like wrt MA gun laws! [sad2]

I suspect the OP has NH and ME confused. I believe one need to inform in Maine if carrying without a permit, but not with a permit.
Guilty as charged. I got ME and NH crossed in my brain.
HideUnderChair.gif
I edited the erroneous post.

See, this is why I maintain my ME and NH licenses. It cuts down on the number fussy little details to remember.

Guilty as charged. I got ME and NH crossed in my brain.
HideUnderChair.gif
I edited the erroneous post.

See, this is why I maintain my ME and NH licenses. It cuts down on the number fussy little details to remember.

You weren't the only one who kept confusing the issue in this thread.

As for ME, can't carry in Acadia (and lots of area roadways go thru Acadia) or Baxter State Park w/o the ME license.

As for ME, can't carry in Acadia (and lots of area roadways go thru Acadia) or Baxter State Park w/o the ME license.

I don't believe you are allowed to carry in Baxter State Park even with a license. For whatever reason, ME regulates Baxter it's NYC or CA or something. It's ridiculous. Pretty sure it's only a civil violation though.

Back
Top Bottom