• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Can’t find any concrete info on how to private sale a gun in NH

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve tried to search for info. The law basically states you can’t sell it a minor or a felon. What’s required to do a private sale? Should I just do FFA to be safe?

Are you selling in state? To someone known to you that isn't a felon?
Previous, non-complicated thread on private sales. This is not MA.

If you are uncomfortable and the buyer wants paperwork on his purchase, sure, go to an FFL.

If you are looking for 'concrete' here you go:

159: PISTOLS AND REVOLVERS

Meet up at a local FFL. Ask them to do a background check on the buyer, then collect the money.
It doesn't work that way. Gun would have to go in the dealer's bound book and a 4473 completed since NICS will provide an approval number for the 4473. FFL will get jammed up at his next ATF audit if not done by the book.

Meet up at a local FFL. Ask them to do a background check on the buyer, then collect the money.

Despite the cry for “universal background checks”, it’s actually impossible for a non-FFL to do one, and illegal for an FFL to do one if not actually transferring a gun from their stock (bound book).

Assuming selling to another NH resident, there are two requirements.

1. RSA 159:7 Don't sell to a felon. Not sure why NH has that on the books as that is federal too.
2. RSA 159:14 If a handgun and the person is not "personally known to you" the buyer is required to have a PRL. *the obvious default if he doesn't have a PRL is go through an FFL, but it is almost always cheaper and faster to get a PRL.

Anything above that and I mark you as a nervous or sketchy seller that I won't deal with.

How about no.

First, there is zero requirement in federal or New Hampshire law to do so.
Second, it costs additional money.
Third the FFL may not want to deal with it as they have to take possession of the firearm in order to transfer it to the buyer.
Fourth, you're spouting liberal gun grabber bullshit with your universal background checks.

Despite the cry for “universal background checks”, it’s actually impossible for a non-FFL to do one, and illegal for an FFL to do one if not actually transferring a gun from their stock (bound book).

The only people crying for universal background checks are idiot liberals.

I'm surprised to see the sentiment here.

1. RSA 159:7 Don't sell to a felon. Not sure why NH has that on the books as that is federal too.
2. RSA 159:14 If a handgun and the person is not "personally known to you" the buyer is required to have a PRL. *the obvious default if he doesn't have a PRL is go through an FFL, but it is almost always cheaper and faster to get a PRL.

Anything above that and I mark you as a nervous or sketchy seller that I won't deal with.
Only real hiccup I've encountered is the take on the vague phrasing "personally known." For me, talking to someone a few times by text, and meeting them for the first time does not equal "personally known" so I ask for a PRL for handguns. If I've already traded with them before, I don't ask to see it again.

I've gotten cursed out plenty of times for being unreasonable, being a commie, etc. One guy said I was responsible for the downfall of America because I didn't trust a stranger at their word that he wasn't a felon. :rolleyes: Pretty interesting sometimes to see how angry a stranger will get, simply because you won't say you know them.

Outside of that, NH is pretty simple to sell firearms in.

If the person is a NH resident someone you know, and you are confident they are not a PP, sell it on a bill of sale. Nothing else needed

If they are someone you do not know, but they are a NH resident with a valid NH P&R Permit, you can sell it to them on a bill of sale. Take a picture of the licence to CYA

If they are an out of state resident, if they are not personally known to you , they don't have a P&R if they are unknown to you, or if for any reason you want to CYA, then FFL it,

If they are someone from this forum, green member of long standing, that you have interacted with enough to "know" them, IMHO that is "personally known" IMHO

The law does not define "personally known" so IMHO IANAL that covers you

Only real hiccup I've encountered is the take on the vague phrasing "personally known." For me, talking to someone a few times by text, and meeting them for the first time does not equal "personally known" so I ask for a PRL for handguns. If I've already traded with them before, I don't ask to see it again.

I've gotten cursed out plenty of times for being unreasonable, being a commie, etc. One guy said I was responsible for the downfall of America because I didn't trust a stranger at their word that he wasn't a felon. :rolleyes: Pretty interesting sometimes to see how angry a stranger will get, simply because you won't say you know them.

Outside of that, NH is pretty simple to sell firearms in.

I think it's vague for a reason. I would guess it would fall to what a reasonable person would define it as.

I would have no problem saying that several of my internet friends that I have never met FTF are "personally known".

For me, it is an assessment for each sale as to whether I'm legal or not.

If the person is a NH resident someone you know, and you are confident they are not a PP, sell it on a bill of sale. Nothing else needed

Please stop with the bill of sale stuff.

No bill of sale is required by any law, nor is it wanted by most people.

If the gun gets used 69 years down the road in a crime, there is nothing the original buyer needs to do other than say I sold it. I forgot who too-was a nice guy.

How about no.

First, there is zero requirement in federal or New Hampshire law to do so.
Second, it costs additional money.
Third the FFL may not want to deal with it as they have to take possession of the firearm in order to transfer it to the buyer.
Fourth, you're spouting liberal gun grabber bullshit with your universal background checks.
How about op does a little digging on his own. Maybe use the search function on NES. This question has been asked a 1000 times. Pretty simple.

First, if op gave a little info, is it a stranger or known friend? He does not.
Second, its money well spent if it is a stranger. What if the person is a felon?
Third, you find an FFL that will. Rileys used to do it for $10. Op doesnt say what part of the state he lives in.
Fourth, your answering with little to know information. Op is being lazy and coming on a public forum and asking questions about selling a gun. What does that have to do with gun grabber bullshit? Op doesn't give enough information. Friend, stranger, co-worker? He doesnt say.

So, whats your answer tough guy?

That is not true. The FFL is going to charge a fee, but you can find one that will.

I’ve tried to search for info. The law basically states you can’t sell it a minor or a felon. What’s required to do a private sale? Should I just do FFA to be safe?

If you really have spent this much time and you're still afraid (which is likely what this is, because privsales in NH fit on a cocktail napkin for rules) you should just go to a dealer.

That is not true. The FFL is going to charge a fee, but you can find one that will.
Lol that is still going to be a dealer transfer, with all the encumbrances that a dealer transfer entails.

Yeah but it would go in and out of their books as a transfer. No FFL (with a functioning brain) is going to let you use their NICS access for a private sale. Not when they have to have a 4473 attached to that NICS query that represents their shop outbounding a gun to someone.

Yeah but it would go in and out of their books as a transfer. No FFL (with a functioning brain) is going to let you use their NICS access for a private sale. Not when they have to have a 4473 attached to that NICS query that represents their shop outbounding a gun to someone.
Many years ago, Rileys did it for me more than a few times. Cost $10. Thats why I said you have to find one that will. Op doesn't give enough information. Friend, stranger, co-worker? We dont know. He could use the search function here, but didnt. Ten different people here are going to give ten different answers.

Many years ago, Rileys did it for me more than a few times. Cost $10. Thats why I said you have to find one that will. Op doesn't give enough information. Friend, stranger, co-worker? We dont know. He could use the search function here, but didnt. Ten different people here are going to give ten different answers.

They're not supposed to without running the gun through their books. That's pretty illegal. FFLs are not supposed to use NICS for any purpose other than conducting a transaction, through their books. They probably never got caught doing it though because that's not likely something that is audited for. I'm guessing Rileys just shredded the 4473 afterwards and pretended it never happened.

No dealer in 2023 with a brain will run NICS on someone for a gun that isn't traveling through their books. By the time you do all that shit you could have just done a transfer, anyways, and gotten your $25 or whatever it is. (although some NH kitchen table style dealers are $15 or even less to certain classes of customers).\

ETA: I do miss rileys though, even if a few of the people working there were douchebags, there were also some awesome guys that made up for it. Their aggressive discounting made for a great retail tone in the NH gun market.

Ten different people here are going to give ten different answers.

There shouldn't be 10 different answers. There is what is required by the law for the OP's specific situation.

What does that have to do with gun grabber bullshit?

Everything in your post about going to an FFL for a background check when it may not be required.

Federal and NH law is very specific about when that is required. OP hasn't expounded on his specific situation, but you default to a universal background check.

Your default answer up above is 100% liberal gun grabber speak.

NH is simple;

If it's to/from a non-resident then it goes through an FFL, That's fed so not really a NH thing.

Long gun or handgun doesn't matter in a FtF sale.

There is a requirement that the sell not sell to a PP. The risk is to the seller, this is why some chose to go through an FFL anyway, it shifts the burden to them. And it's generally accepted that if the buyer has a PRL, that is sufficient proof. The law says, is known to, which is very vague, so that's a matter of personal risk tolerance.

As for a bill of sale, that's up to you. But I find it interesting that some would say they never want/give one because GUN, and the law doesn't require. Personally, to me it's not a gun issue. We all say guns are just a thing, yet treat them differently on some pretty basic bases. I get/give a bill of sale because I would do it for anything that meets a level of cost, is used, and may have exchanged hands a number of times, or I just don't know. I'm not worried about being changed with a crime someone else did, I have a bill of sale for my TV why wouldn't I have one for a gun?

They're not supposed to without running the gun through their books. That's pretty illegal. FFLs are not supposed to use NICS for any purpose other than conducting a transaction, through their books. They probably never got caught doing it though because that's not likely something that is audited for. I'm guessing Rileys just shredded the 4473 afterwards and pretended it never happened.

No dealer in 2023 with a brain will run NICS on someone for a gun that isn't traveling through their books. By the time you do all that shit you could have just done a transfer, anyways, and gotten your $25 or whatever it is. (although some NH kitchen table style dealers are $15 or even less to certain classes of customers).\

ETA: I do miss rileys though, even if a few of the people working there were douchebags, there were also some awesome guys that made up for it. Their aggressive discounting made for a great retail tone in the NH gun market.
I have no idea what they did. You're speculating on what went on. I'm just saying I've personally had it done. OP doesn't give enough information to give an informed answer. So I gave a safe answer.

I got some great deals there. They had the cash in hand to buy used guns that came in. The last guy to own the place didn't. There were some a**h***s that worked there, but that's anyplace.

There shouldn't be 10 different answers. There is what is required by the law for the OP's specific situation.

Everything in your post about going to an FFL for a background check when it may not be required.

Federal and NH law is very specific about when that is required. OP hasn't expounded on his specific situation, but you default to a universal background check.

Your default answer up above is 100% liberal gun grabber speak.
But there are 10 different answers. What is ops specific situation? Do you know?

Going through an FFL is the safe answer. Op does not share enough information.
He would be asking for a background check voluntary, not mandatory. Universal background check would be mandatory, you don't seem to comprehend that.
My answer is safe. With no information this is the answer he gets from me. Maybe op shouldnt be coming on a public forum and asking these questions.

Just saw this post from you. Its pretty much exactly what I said! You posted this then bitch to me about universal background checks!
LOL maybe you don't comprehend English.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom